New York Knicks vs Washington Wizards 12/16/2013 7:30PM

metrocard

Legend
Chris Herring ‏@HerringWSJ 1m Melo: "I think we were expecting a timeout. Everything just happened so fast." Says team should've called one, but didn't, and paid price.

tiger0330

Legend
Melo looked like he had money on the other team and was throwing the game. Bringing the ball up with no sense of urgency and the jacking up that last shot. A vet with the experience he has if he had anything under the cap should have called timeout in that situation.

T.O Knick

Benchwarmer
When experts label Woodson a players coach what they mean is “Hey guys do what ever you want[FONT=arial, sans-serif]“.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Woodson is the least meticulous, detail oriented coach in the entire NBA. Saw same rubbish when he coached ATL with other brain dead losers Smith and Johnson. Woodson is a novice, has no respect for the game, just thinks [/FONT]“My team will beat your team“ ala rec league ball.[FONT=arial, sans-serif]

[/FONT]

NY17KNICKS

★Melo Mafia★
Melo looked like he had money on the other team and was throwing the game. Bringing the ball up with no sense of urgency and the jacking up that last shot. A vet with the experience he has if he had anything under the cap should have called timeout in that situation.

Please stop, you look stupid.

erivera

Benchwarmer
brent barry on nba tv ripped woodson to shreds. dennis scott said the defensive mistake was just as bad as not calling timeout, and barry said not calling timeout is wrong. you have to call timeout and set something up. how anybody could say coaching isn't an issue on this team is beyond me.

metrocard

Legend

Washington is Melo's hometown city...this makes sense.

mafra

Legend
You can’t defend Mike Woodson after epic loss

mike vaccaro - ny post

This one is different. This one strikes the Knicks in a deep, dark place, a loss that isn’t as much about a lack of execution or a lack of effort, the usual suspects of this epic fail of a season to date, 17 losses now in 24 games, every light-at-the-end-of-a-tunnel moment met by a steaming locomotive, every single time.

No. This one’s different. After this calamitous 102-101 loss to the Wizards, the questions are simpler than any that have come before, speaking to the very competence of the basketball operation:

Can’t anybody here play this game?
Can’t anyone here coach this game?

Does anyone here have the slightest idea what they’re doing?

“This,” J.R, Smith said, “is a frustrating way to lose a game.”

Frustrating? Frustrating is only prologue to what this was. Frustrating barely gets you past the table of contents. It’s one thing to lose, after all. It’s something else entirely to do as many things wrong as the Knicks did in the final 24.2 seconds of this game — mental, physical, all of it, right down to a team-wide basketball IQ that barely hovers around room temperature now.

You can start with the terrible omen — Beno Udrih missing a foul shot which meant that a team that struggles to be passable on defense on its best nights was now forced to keep the Wizards off the board on one do-or-die possession.
Still, the Knicks were armed with certain advantages. They had a foul to give. They had a pretty good idea who was going to take the shot. Most important, they had three timeouts — two fulls and a 20 — if they had to stare down a worst-case scenario. They had an answer for everything. Everything except one:

A self-imposed clown show.

That foul to give? The Knicks never used it. As each of the 19,812 inside the Garden — plus, presumably, the 12 men in the huddle and the man conducting the huddle — had to assume, Bradley Beal got the ball. He raced past Udrih as if he weren’t there, so Udrih couldn’t take the foul. He reached the basket before Andrea Bargnani, among others, could impede him or take the foul.

Beal made the layup. He gave the Wizards the lead. But there was still this: There were still 6.9 seconds left. You call timeout. You regroup. You get the ball at halfcourt. And you have a star player, Carmelo Anthony, who is overdue to make one of those buzzer beaters he used to be famous for in Denver.

All is not lost.

Except all was already lost.

Think of all the NBA games you watch in the course of a season. Think of all the late-game baskets in lost-cause games. What do you see? You see a coach stalking into the floor, hands above their head, the universal signal for a timeout.

Somehow, Mike Woodson didn’t call a timeout. He had three. He left the game with three. He wakes up this morning with three. Maybe he figured he can use them if there’s traffic on the Tappan Zee one of these days?

“I probably should have taken a timeout there at the end,” Woodson would admit later, in one of the no-kidding comments you’ll ever hear. He is a good man, and has been a good coach for these Knicks but after this, after failing to get across to his team to use their foul-to-give and then freezing as the game bled away?

“We have guys who have been in the league 10, 11 years,” Smith said. “It shouldn’t all be on Coach’s shoulders.”

OK. Fine. Spread the blame around. The Knicks as a whole, top of the roster to bottom, have never exactly made you label them basketball Phi Beta Kappas. But it starts with the coach. Anthony started downcourt, hesitated (losing precious seconds) because clearly he was waiting to hear a whistle for a timeout, wound up launching a hideous off-balance 3 as the buzzer groaned, as 19,812 people frantically screamed “CALL A #$$@#$%%$ TIMEOUT!”

Nineteen thousand people knew enough to call a timeout there.

One coach didn’t. His players have been loud in their defense of him throughout these nightmarish 24 games, but what good is any of that? How do you defend a coach who oversees those final 24.2 seconds?

Here’s the thing: You can’t. Not after this. If the ax is coming, the ax is deserved, and it’s impossible to act surprised if and when it does. It was that bad. It was worse than that bad. Losing is one thing. This was different.

Rob Low

Rotation player
I've been trying to stay patient with Woodson but what happened today was just unacceptable. How many blunders can one team make in a minute? First off why is Beno even in the game on that last play? Where the hell was the help defense? Why would you not tell them to use that foul? Why would you not call a timeout? So many things had to go wrong for us to lose this game and they all did and it's 100% Woody's fault. I'm officially on the fire Woodson bandwagon from this day forward.

groundpilot

Benchwarmer
Chris Herring ‏@HerringWSJ 1m Melo: "I think we were expecting a timeout. Everything just happened so fast." Says team should've called one, but didn't, and paid price.

Yeah right. He didnt even look towards the bench and told Beno to go, go. He could have called timout himself. But he just threw the game away.
If he made that shot, he would be a hero of course. But now, he is blaming his coach? Not cool.

tiger0330

Legend
The NY newspapers and media are coming down on Woody like a ton of bricks. Normally you wouldn't can a guy for one bad play but this was big so it might happen. I blame the players as well, Melo and JR said as much that there is enough experience on the team that even without Woody calling timeout it should have been done.

metrocard

Legend
http://nydn.us/1bLUXFw

“I probably should have called the timeout at the end,’’ Woodson said. “But the ball was in Melo’s hands before I could even react. That is on me."

He didn’t get any arguments from Anthony. “Mike’s taking the heat,’’ he said. “If he said it’s his fault, it’s his fault."

metrocard

Legend
I told you guys in the summer, not having a shot blocker will kill us slowly all season long.

This game is proof of it.

Chandler isn't even a shot blocker, just a solid man to man defender and good at defending the pick and roll.

HardFowl

Rookie
I told you guys in the summer, not having a shot blocker will kill us slowly all season long. This game is proof of it. Chandler isn't even a shot blocker, just a solid man to man defender and good at defending the pick and roll.

That's been our problem since we got rid of Nazr Mohamed, years ago. We could have been in so many playoffs, contending, when we had better players, like Randolph, Lee, Marbury and Crawford. But, we never had that defensively dominant big.

Anyway, the next three games will determine if we will contend for a playoff spot. 7-20 is the magic 'you're not going to the playoffs' record. All those Eddy Curry teams we had would be R.I.P. for the season, whenever we hit 7-20.

KnickfanaticinGA

Benchwarmer
SMH...waking up to yet another blunder. This is getting old. We are out here like High School players and JV at that. At least I saved some money on the NBA ticket this year....otherwise I'd really be pissed. Wake Up Knicks!!!

paris401

Starter
Don't blame Melo for the last play. That's more on Beno. He started the play without even looking at coach. Melo diden't expect to get the ball...

come on...u can't blame beno... he is at best a D-leaguer... and prob would have problems down there too...

Red

TYPE-A
We are devoid of competent leadership period. Both in the form of a coach and on-floor leader, we are lacking.

The verdict is in. Blow it the f*ck up.

We don't have a solid game plan and no one with the stones to take charge; and the last player we did have ready to step up, take charge, and be unafraid to lead sadly was Jeremy Lin.

Real recognizes real and there is not one soul in Knick land who is a real leader. Its the blind leading the blind.

LeFlume

All Star
Nineteen thousand people knew enough to call a timeout there. One coach didn’t. His players have been loud in their defense of him throughout these nightmarish 24 games, but what good is any of that? How do you defend a coach who oversees those final 24.2 seconds?

Here’s the thing: You can’t. Not after this. If the ax is coming, the ax is deserved, and it’s impossible to act surprised if and when it does. It was that bad. It was worse than that bad. Losing is one thing. This was different.

Mike Vaccaro NY Post

He is right on the money Mr Vaccaro. This was more than a loss.

LeFlume

All Star
ughknicks.gif

Broadway

All Star

+ Infinity or + Pie

Bubble Guts had no desire, no heart, didn't try to get to the center of the court didn't try to get close to the rim. I mean even an out of shape drunkard can dribble the ball from end to end in 6 sec. Melo barely got past half court.

But we've been told that's why we got him, that's why you have to have a go to guy, a star. The ball seems to find a way into his hands and thus far according to his apostles he isn't to blame for the results, look elsewhere.