Carmelo Anthony Discussion Thread - All Things Melo

CoolClyde

Melo has to opt out in order to test free agency. He will have to do so some time by last week of June so he can become free on July 1st. He also has to opt out in order to get paid Maximum salary. I'm wondering if you meant Melo will test free agency but not leave the Knicks for a different team.

yes sir, that's what i meant sir.

Kiyaman

Legend
Melo want the $$$ on his Knicks final season contract $23.5M (ask La La)
Melo will receive FOOLS publicity if he leave Phil Jax.
Melo will receive somewhat publicity if he signs with a contender.

Phil Jax only want Melo's one year contract (to see if Melo could play at that certain level).
Phil Jax first Knicks priority in the offseason are not Melo, its coaches and PG.

xk3smith

Benchwarmer
Heat seeking the services of Carmelo Anthony....... As a die hard Knicks fan I think this is a good move for all parties. Let Melo chase his ring and allow the Knicks to rebuild. We have a chance to build a team that will be great and make NY proud for years to come. I'm ok with a rebuilding season

wian

Benchwarmer
i hope he goes. He isnt good enough to compete with the big time players and will never win the knicks a championship... He has no defensive game, only offensive..

Please walk mello.....

skisloper

Starter
Heat seeking the services of Carmelo Anthony....... As a die hard Knicks fan I think this is a good move for all parties. Let Melo chase his ring and allow the Knicks to rebuild. We have a chance to build a team that will be great and make NY proud for years to come. I'm ok with a rebuilding season

If Melo ends up on the Heat and they do not win a title.....Mr Melo will go down as a guy who could score but never help his team......I hope if he is not a Knicks he ends up there just to watch it not work.........

With Jackson being Knicks President, With Fisher a known leader as a coach it would be nice to hear MELO not say " i want to know what the future plan is " but rather have faith that a plan is evolving and he should just listen to Jackson.........Melo takes less money and allows the Knicks to build and can win a title...Melo then goes down as one of the greats.....Not title he will be the player that was not a winner...

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
If Melo ends up on the Heat and they do not win a title.....Mr Melo will go down as a guy who could score but never help his team......I hope if he is not a Knicks he ends up there just to watch it not work.........

With Jackson being Knicks President, With Fisher a known leader as a coach it would be nice to hear MELO not say " i want to know what the future plan is " but rather have faith that a plan is evolving and he should just listen to Jackson.........Melo takes less money and allows the Knicks to build and can win a title...Melo then goes down as one of the greats.....Not title he will be the player that was not a winner...

Melo can leave if he wants but the league may need to create some anti-monopoly rules to cap the number of all-star players that can be on one team. I'm not routinely for this type of restriction, but the joining forces is getting out of control. Small market teams wont stand a chance if you can convince everyone to take a pay cut. What's to stop a team from getting two starting line ups full of all-stars making 4 million per year, with Rondo backing up Chris Paul. Sounds far fetched, maybe, but so did having a big three.

jimkcchief88

All Star
Sucks because this "Fantastic Four" talk deserves its own thread. I can't believe the "just let him walk" talk. First Riles, now this??? Don't let it happen Phil. All this pay cut for Melo talk needs to stop.

tiger0330

Legend
Melo can leave if he wants but the league may need to create some anti-monopoly rules to cap the number of all-star players that can be on one team. I'm not routinely for this type of restriction, but the joining forces is getting out of control. Small market teams wont stand a chance if you can convince everyone to take a pay cut. What's to stop a team from getting two starting line ups full of all-stars making 4 million per year, with Rondo backing up Chris Paul. Sounds far fetched, maybe, but so did having a big three.
I think state taxes may have more to do signing marquee players on the cheap than whether it's a small market or not. I don't think it's a coincidence that marquee players like Duncan, Parker, Ginoboli and the BIG 3 have been willing to take pay cuts, Texas and FL both don't have state taxes so they can afford to take 10% pay cuts to play for the Heat and the Spurs.

New York and LA will never be able entice players to take pay cuts when the state income taxes on millionaires is over 10%. Good luck to PJ asking Melo to take a pay cut so he can sign some other stars. If Melo does take a pay cut it'll be in FL or Texas where teams like Miami or Houston have rosters that can win a championship now not 3 years from now.

CoolClyde

i agree Don Chris.

Kiyaman

Legend

:agreed: When Phil Jackson signed on to the Knicks, I thought a week later Melo was going to announce he wasnt going to opt-out.

Melo going to the Heats organization would mean Lebron's opting-out, and Miami stays the team to beat.
If Melo leave NY, Melo's best interest should be signing with a team that's already establish a winning culture system.

Having 3 to 5 star-players on a team is nothing knew in the NBA ..
The last championship Knicks (1973) had 4 star-players on the roster.

tiger0330

Legend
Yahoo reporting Melo was unswayed by his meeting with the Knicks brass in LA. Anyone surprised when you got a rookie president and coach making insane money asking Melo take one for the team and sign for less than max money so we can build a team.

My prediction Melo will leave in FA this summer.

Kiyaman

Legend

I can not agree on that ..
If a player like Kobe Bryant want to play the GM, and recruit star-players and role-players for the Lakers organization, thats supposed to be a good thing.
Small Market Teams has just as much advantage as the big-market teams at becoming a winner.
Seattle/OKC Thunder prove this by way of scouting the draft.
Small market teams first priority should be building a big fan-base.

Broadway

All Star
I think state taxes may have more to do signing marquee players on the cheap than whether it's a small market or not. I don't think it's a coincidence that marquee players like Duncan, Parker, Ginoboli and the BIG 3 have been willing to take pay cuts, Texas and FL both don't have state taxes so they can afford to take 10% pay cuts to play for the Heat and the Spurs.

New York and LA will never be able entice players to take pay cuts when the state income taxes on millionaires is over 10%. Good luck to PJ asking Melo to take a pay cut so he can sign some other stars. If Melo does take a pay cut it'll be in FL or Texas where teams like Miami or Houston have rosters that can win a championship now not 3 years from now.

Actually if we had managed our team better prior to making the Melo deal....this wouldn't be an issue for us. Fans crying about the CBA at this point is comical at best. No one had issues when we were trying to form a Super Team in 2010. The NBA doesn't need to take any measures in fear of players forming Super Teams....there are only a handful of douchebags(Lebron and his generation circle of jerks) attempting to do this crap all because they can't get their way in way of Winning. They don't have a spirit to fight the struggle and go through the organic and natural processes of winning, which may involve losing. They want to cut corners, cheat, collude and apply pure pressure via the media.

Nevertheless the onus is on us to manage our team properly so no matter what weapon is formed against us, it will not prosper, even the weapons of collusion and desertion. The Spurs have the model to meet any challenge presented and it's up to competent franchises to implement a similar system. Hopefully the triangle can do the trick but keep in mind it's a system that has only proven to get peak results with the absolute best players in the league for a given generation. Actually even a couple seasons when Phil had Kobe best player in the league Lakers suffered relatively speaking, I believe even missing the playoffs 1 yr.

At all times though we as an organization have to have options at every angle. We're off to a so-so start and probably won't see rewarding results until around this time next year(major rebuild piece). As of right now our argument isn't convincing enough to retain a player's services such as Carmelo(I could care less if he's not retained)....state taxes or no state taxes, large market or small market, max contract or paycut, elite coach or first yr coach. What we can't sell is that we're in a position to win and sustain the winning at a contending level anytime soon. He's not a player to take us there anytime soon.

We're about 4yrs away from contending just try and get some value for him if possible and celebrate starting over anew.

Broadway

All Star
Another thing I find intriguing is the fact Phil has attempted to get Melo to see things our way at first crack and that's him opting in 1 yr. Well Melo's declined this strong suggestion which once again goes to show Phil cannot just come here and flaunt his past onto individuals and they oblige him. Melo's priority is himself first and last very much like it was when he wanted out of Denver....nothing has changed.

Phil is going to have to work and work very hard to achieve desired results.

Kiyaman

Legend
Yahoo reporting Melo was unswayed by his meeting with the Knicks brass in LA. Anyone surprised when you got a rookie president and coach making insane money asking Melo take one for the team and sign for less than max money so we can build a team.

My prediction Melo will leave in FA this summer.

Wow! Melo's reason for opting-out at the start of the season didn't fly to well with brass in the meeting.

It looks like Lebron's going to make another DECISION!!!!!

Paul1355

All Star
Bes thing for the Knicks would be to sign and trade Melo to Houston. Houston is willing to basically give away Lin and Asik..both positions we desperately need depth in. Felton and Chandler won't play for the Knicks in 2015-2016 season and possibly moved before this season. Lin played great in NY and Asik is a solid center, both on one year deals that we can get rid of if they under achieve.

The pot of gold in this deal would be including Chandler Parsons, who is looking for a contract in the range of 10 million per year and Houston will not give it to him. Throw in a pick or Terrence Jones and you have a very attractive package for Melo. Possibly 4 starters or 3 starters and a 1st round pick.

Melo for Lin, Asik, Parson, Jones or 1st round pick.....both teams would pull the trigger on this unless Melo did not want more money.

Melo would get his max contract in a sign and trade and to a team that is in win-now mode. Knicks get players to increase their depth and become a more rounded, younger team. They can resign Parson as well due to everybody coming off the books

Bes thing for the Knicks would be to sign and trade Melo to Houston. Houston is willing to basically give away Lin and Asik..both positions we desperately need depth in. Felton and Chandler won't play for the Knicks in 2015-2016 season and possibly moved before this season. Lin played great in NY and Asik is a solid center, both on one year deals that we can get rid of if they under achieve.

The pot of gold in this deal would be including Chandler Parsons, who is looking for a contract in the range of 10 million per year and Houston will not give it to him. Throw in a pick or Terrence Jones and you have a very attractive package for Melo. Possibly 4 starters or 3 starters and a 1st round pick.

Melo for Lin, Asik, Parson, Jones or 1st round pick.....both teams would pull the trigger on this unless Melo did not want more money.

Melo would get his max contract in a sign and trade and to a team that is in win-now mode. Knicks get players to increase their depth and become a more rounded, younger team. They can resign Parson as well due to everybody coming off the books

This seems like a best case scenario for us. In many ways, even a better case scenario than Melo re-signing with us. I won't hold my breath for it to happen, but it would be the most fun season of rooting for a probably 0.500 team that you would ever see. We would have rookie coach Fisher, rookie GM Phil Jackson, and a team led by Lin, Asik, Chandler, Amare, Bargnani, and Parsons, all in contract years with like a combined 75 million coming off the books at the end of the year. If we get Lin back, the biggest question would be will it lead to the return of Newbie and all the rest of the Lin-focused only KOL forum posters.

tiger0330

Legend
[h=1]Interesting article comparing what Melo can make in Houston or Dallas where there is no state tax vs. NYC with state and local taxes. He can actually net more per year in Houston over NY by about 500K a year. Of course NY can sign him for an additional year which makes the total contract more but just another factor in why the Knicks may lose Melo.

How much Carmelo can make as an NBA free agent[/h]

inShare​

textsize_minus_l.gif

textsize_plus_d.gif

140617133134-carmelo-anthony-single-image-cut.jpg

Carmelo Anthony can sign for more money and an extra year with his incumbent team, the Knicks.
Jim McIsaac/Getty Images

Would you forgo a minimum of $11.4 million in guaranteed net income and possibly much more to play with Derrick Rose, LeBron James or Dwight Howard? Reports suggest that Knicks forward Carmelo Anthony might be willing to do just that. Anthony, who has made more than $130 million in salary and tens of millions in endorsements during his 11-year NBA career, has until Monday to inform New York whether he will opt out of the final year of his contract and become a free agent on July 1. Several media reports indicate that Anthony will test free agency and explore signing with the Bulls, Heat or Rockets.

Despite Anthony's apparent intentions, the NBA's collective bargaining agreement creates powerful incentives for the seven-time All-Star to remain with the Knicks. Under the CBA, so-called Larry Bird rights enable a team to re-sign qualifying players for an extra year and at higher annual increases than they would receive if they signed with another team. A player qualifies for Bird rights by being on the team's roster for at least three seasons, among several other conditions adroitly explained by Larry Coon in his NBA Salary Cap FAQ. Anthony, who has been a Knick since February 2011, meets the criteria and can sign with New York for five years and $129.1 million. Rival teams can offer him a four-year, $95.9 million deal, after which Anthony would be a 34-year-old free agent.
ROUNDTABLE: What should LeBron do this offseason?
Anthony's financial decision-making is also affected by income tax rates, which vary widely by state and, as New York City residents know, municipality. SI.com and tax expert Robert Raiola have crunched the numbers for Anthony (whose projected contract amounts are provided by Spotrac.com). We break down how much he would likely earn, after taxes and the standard 4 percent agent commission, if he signed max deals with the Knicks, Bulls, Heat and Rockets.
Keep in mind, however, that Chicago and Houston would have to make multiple moves to sign Anthony to anything approaching a max contract, and Miami would face an even more difficult challenge. If those teams fail to create the space, Anthony would have to sign for even less than what is indicated below:
140618083439-carmelo-anthony-salary-single-image-cut.jpg

Wages courtesy Spotrac.com

These numbers make clear that Anthony should be paid extraordinarily well regardless of the team employing him, the state he plays in and the income tax rates in the place he calls home. Anthony is also poised to earn millions in endorsements regardless of his decision. But these figures also reveal that the former scoring champion would be guaranteed $11.4 million to $12.8 million more in take-home pay if he re-signs with the Knicks. Put differently, Anthony, as a "max player," would be paid substantially different amounts of money to perform the same employment services merely because he already plays for New York. Anthony could sign with the Bulls, Heat or Rockets and then, as a free agent in 2018, try to recoup what he would have been paid by the Knicks in the '18-19 season, but chances are low he'd attract a base salary anywhere near $29 million.
FORTUNATE 50: Anthony among highest-earning American athletes
Should star players receive more to re-sign with their team and, conversely, less to sign with new teams? The NBA and its owners generally favor that stars stay put. From a marketing perspective, it is easier to build fan loyalty when franchises have long-term and stable associations with their best players. During the 1980s, the Celtics and Lakers attracted diehard fans by winning titles and persuading superstars Larry Bird and Magic Johnson to start and finish their careers with the same team. These type of players became associated with their franchises; to think of Johnson as anything but a Laker is impossible.
For many years the law also made it easier for teams to retain their stars. Until the rise of free agency and accompanying antitrust litigation in the 1970s, stars were generally obligated to remain with their teams. Players' contracts contained the infamous "reserve clause," which allowed teams to renew them on a year-by-year basis at modest increases. This effectively denied free agency unless a team cut a player loose. It is therefore not surprising that stars of the '50s and '60s like Bob Pettit, Elgin Baylor, Jack Twyman and Jerry West played their entire careers with the same team. They may have been loyal, but they were also contractually barred from being disloyal.
GALLERY: Classic photos of Carmelo Anthony
Bird rights are clearly not as onerous as the reserve clause, but they similarly place a restraint on the marketplace of stars. The restriction is simple: If you play for another team, you will earn much less money. Yet the message hasn't dissuaded some stars from relocating. Howard, for one, rejected the Lakers' five-year, $118 million offer in favor of a four-year, $87.6 million deal from the Rockets last year.
It will be interesting to watch if the players' association seeks changes to Bird rights. Either the NBA or union can opt out of the CBA in 2017, four years before it expires. Any changes to compensation must be collectively bargained. If higher salaries fail to motivate stars to stay with their teams, then why pay stars who leave less?