Carmelo Anthony Discussion Thread - All Things Melo

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
in the wrong thread, on a sports forum

Come on dude, if anything we are elevating one of the most idiotic and rhetorical threads created on KO. Do we really need to continue discussing what is clearly obvious, that Melo is in no way shape or form a fraud?

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Definitely far more democratic than China. But let's not forget our History as well. When times were tough for the U.S, they did not hesitate to turn up the repression under the pretence of a supposed ideological threat. We had the threat of 'Anarchy' in the turn of the 20th Century which allowed police powers to implement a shoot to kill policy on workers who went on strike. There was the McCarthy era in the 50's, and let's not forget the institutionalised racism that existed way into the second half of the 20th century, and still exists in many (southern mainly) States with the passive consent of the local authorities. The war during the late 60's and early 70's, declared on the Black Panther Party who was using democratic and legal means to lift the Black community out of poverty (both economic and intellectual) was-at least- as bad as what happened in Tienanmen square in China in the late 80's.

Well, I'm a liberal and in no way will I be defending this countries long history of inequality, hypocrisy or misdeeds. I will say that democracy is a messy system that constantly evolves. Our system was setup and evolved in such away that we can self correct unlike other systems that are designed to squelch a movement before it really has a chance to begin.

That said, there is no way you can compare what our government wrongly did to the Panthers to that of Communist China's crackdown in Tienanmen Square. Just the imagery alone of tanks rolling down the square dispersing peaceful protests was worse. Let alone the covered up fatalities and complete media black out on the subject enforced even decades later. China suffers from a suppression of thought and lacks a means to lift that self imposed veil even in the 21st century amidst the information age. I predict continued record growth for China for another decade or so and then a tipping point that can send them spinning out of control if the powers there don't lift up the burgeoning middle class that will demand the same rights and protections that most of the industrialized world takes for granted.

PaPZ187

Benchwarmer
Melo has been legit for the last 5-6 years. I haven't seen him play like shit once since beeing a Knick. Yeah he's had his fair share of problems adapting to this team, but even then he's scored 20 or more all the time. Now he's just on a killing spree. Melo is the type of guy who could put up a streak of 10 consecutive 40pt games if he really wanted to.
He's probably the most talented scorer the Knicks have ever had (maybe second behind Bernard King).

He is without question the most talented scorer the Knicks have had in the 28 years I have been alive. We have had some good ones in Houston, Spree, Ewing, and more recently Amare but none of these guys are on Melo's level when it comes to scoring.

Melo can hit the 3, take his man off the dribble, post up, isolate, got a solid mid range jumper, the guy does it all. Not to mention he is as clutch as they come.....I heard a stat yesterday that in the past 5 years or so he has the most go ahead baskets in the final seconds of the 4th quarter/OT than anyone else playing the game today. The mans just on another level.

GoNYK127

Benchwarmer
He is without question the most talented scorer the Knicks have had in the 28 years I have been alive. We have had some good ones in Houston, Spree, Ewing, and more recently Amare but none of these guys are on Melo's level when it comes to scoring.

Melo can hit the 3, take his man off the dribble, post up, isolate, got a solid mid range jumper, the guy does it all. Not to mention he is as clutch as they come.....I heard a stat yesterday that in the past 5 years or so he has the most go ahead baskets in the final seconds of the 4th quarter/OT than anyone else playing the game today. The mans just on another level.
16 of them since 2003 - 2004, I think.

PaPZ187

Benchwarmer
Nope. Just watched it again on the rerun of the game, 16 FGs with 10 seconds or less since the '03 - '04 season. He actually has the most in the NBA too.

Yup, and 5 of those have come this year (most in the NBA). The man is as clutch as they come, and at only 26 years old he will have many more opportunities to close out games in orange and blue! :gony:

TakMan

Rotation player
Well, I'm a liberal and in no way will I be defending this countries long history of inequality, hypocrisy or misdeeds. I will say that democracy is a messy system that constantly evolves. Our system was setup and evolved in such away that we can self correct unlike other systems that are designed to squelch a movement before it really has a chance to begin.

That said, there is no way you can compare what our government wrongly did to the Panthers to that of Communist China's crackdown in Tienanmen Square. Just the imagery alone of tanks rolling down the square dispersing peaceful protests was worse. Let alone the covered up fatalities and complete media black out on the subject enforced even decades later. China suffers from a suppression of thought and lacks a means to lift that self imposed veil even in the 21st century amidst the information age. I predict continued record growth for China for another decade or so and then a tipping point that can send them spinning out of control if the powers there don't lift up the burgeoning middle class that will demand the same rights and protections that most of the industrialized world takes for granted.

I dunno mate, violence is a very complex entity. Is there really a way of measuring it? For example, the overt violence that shocked many in Tienanmen square, resulted in the death of several hundred (short-term) and the long-term reform of the Chinese Communist Party. A small victory for the Chinese people at a great expense. What happened to the Black Panther Party (BPP) and subsequently the Black communities through U.S Government and F.B.I actions was a very different type of violence, with similar results that are being felt even today. The BPP had established free schools, free breakfast programs, 'patrolling the police' programs, free vaccine programs, and a number of other community organisations that were rapidly growing by the end of 1969. They were creating an identity within ghettos that was markedly different to that of the past. Riots and despair, police brutality and dead end poverty were gradually being replaced with communal solidarity, reinforced identity, autonomy, and ultimately, hope for a better future that did not rely on institutional, and social reform (that was not really happening) Around ten people including Bobby Hutton, and Fred Hampton Jr were murdered by the police. This may not compare to events in China. Also when Police put into force the COINTELPRO relating to 'extremist organisations', they burned down Panther branches and violently dismantled communal institutions set up by the Panthers in collaboration with local communities. The immediate effect of that violence numbered very few victims. While this was happening, the F.B.I also permitted drug lords to import class 'A' drugs into the ghetto (well documented from scholarly work and declassified government archives) in order to complement the dismantling of community foundations. Now let's consider the long-term consequences of this 'lower scale' violence (compared to Tienanmen) Today around one in nine young (20-34) black males are (many times wrongly) incarcerated. The same figure for young white males is one in thirty. Drug abuse is rampant in many of the poorer communities, and gang violence coupled with police brutality is prevalent. This atmosphere of poverty, crime, and despair is a direct result of a large scale attack that was violently enforced by the U.S government, targeting what was a fringe group (BPP membership never exceeded 10,000 people) that was one the rise, just because their rhetoric and model of community development was left-wing (coupled with the fact that they were representing a much hated significant minority group). Imagine what the crackdown would look like today, had they numbered hundreds of thousands, much like the protesters of Tienanmen square. This is why I think it's incredibly difficult to quantify violence. Remember there's more weight added when we are talking about a 'Democracy' inflicting this level of violence. They are rightfully placed on a different measure, as factors such as hypocrisy also enter the equation. Apologies for the rambling, and I promise to shut up about this for the foreseeable future, as even discussing Fraudulent accusations of so called fraudulent players is more relevant to this forum than this discussion. Basically I guess you can call me a fraud at the end of the day.

keyser soze

Benchwarmer
Superstar??? No Allstar, yea but he is surely not worth what we gave up and he is already acting like a Prima-donna. $65 Million extension Kid refuses to play D makes $1,600 a minute while on the court but doesn't want to pay attention for a full game. I'm tired of this Guy know and what's crazy Denver reconstructed their team the way we should have imagine AMARE on that team instead of KMART They are easily Finals contenders.

I wish we could cut fans

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
I dunno mate, violence is a very complex entity. Is there really a way of measuring it? For example, the overt violence that shocked many in Tienanmen square, resulted in the death of several hundred (short-term) and the long-term reform of the Chinese Communist Party. A small victory for the Chinese people at a great expense. What happened to the Black Panther Party (BPP) and subsequently the Black communities through U.S Government and F.B.I actions was a very different type of violence, with similar results that are being felt even today. The BPP had established free schools, free breakfast programs, 'patrolling the police' programs, free vaccine programs, and a number of other community organisations that were rapidly growing by the end of 1969. They were creating an identity within ghettos that was markedly different to that of the past. Riots and despair, police brutality and dead end poverty were gradually being replaced with communal solidarity, reinforced identity, autonomy, and ultimately, hope for a better future that did not rely on institutional, and social reform (that was not really happening) Around ten people including Bobby Hutton, and Fred Hampton Jr were murdered by the police. This may not compare to events in China. Also when Police put into force the COINTELPRO relating to 'extremist organisations', they burned down Panther branches and violently dismantled communal institutions set up by the Panthers in collaboration with local communities. The immediate effect of that violence numbered very few victims. While this was happening, the F.B.I also permitted drug lords to import class 'A' drugs into the ghetto (well documented from scholarly work and declassified government archives) in order to complement the dismantling of community foundations. Now let's consider the long-term consequences of this 'lower scale' violence (compared to Tienanmen) Today around one in nine young (20-34) black males are (many times wrongly) incarcerated. The same figure for young white males is one in thirty. Drug abuse is rampant in many of the poorer communities, and gang violence coupled with police brutality is prevalent. This atmosphere of poverty, crime, and despair is a direct result of a large scale attack that was violently enforced by the U.S government, targeting what was a fringe group (BPP membership never exceeded 10,000 people) that was one the rise, just because their rhetoric and model of community development was left-wing (coupled with the fact that they were representing a much hated significant minority group). Imagine what the crackdown would look like today, had they numbered hundreds of thousands, much like the protesters of Tienanmen square. This is why I think it's incredibly difficult to quantify violence. Remember there's more weight added when we are talking about a 'Democracy' inflicting this level of violence. They are rightfully placed on a different measure, as factors such as hypocrisy also enter the equation. Apologies for the rambling, and I promise to shut up about this for the foreseeable future, as even discussing Fraudulent accusations of so called fraudulent players is more relevant to this forum than this discussion. Basically I guess you can call me a fraud at the end of the day.

You will not get an argument from me and the institutionalized racism that still goes on today is a stain on America. That said, I'm sure the average black person has a better quality of life than the average Chinese. (as a white upper middle class American I can only assume) It's an educated assumption but an assumption none the less. I certainly know we have more upward mobility, better income even for the working poor and better resources for the indigent. China has one political power that is more concerned with retaining power and expanding their economy than caring about human rights. So yes, Tienanmen lead to reform but those reforms are still decades behind what most industrialized nations enjoy with regards to human/worker rights.

iSaYughh

Starter
I don't disagree with the whole Chinese basketball not progressing. However you have contradicted yourself by saying it's a Communist country that "is strictly based off open n free trade, between global corporations." China is as Communist as the U.S.A (i.e not at all.)

There's a Communist, one party political system that runs the country and economy.

That the, ie the communists, have accepted parts of free trade and economic policies that defy a strict definition of communism is for their survival and military strength, and strength to maintain the overarching Communist party and totalitarian government.

Sure, it's not a pure "communist" country, like we aren't a pure "capitalist" country. But those lone definitions never apply and fit like a glove.

So idk how you can say that China is not Communist in any way...

iSaYughh

Starter

Exactly. +1 all ur posts on this.

One word classifications never fit like a glove. Like the US being a pure "capitalist" country. Sure, technically China doesn't abide by some static, pure definition of communism, but they have a standing one party Communist political party...who runs the government....and controls the entire economy.

And that, at the end of the day, is why pro athletes will never want to be there and china bball wont ever truly prosper like it would in western Europe/USA.

That they don't strictly live up to utopic Marxism ideals is besides the point.

Last edited:

jimkcchief88

All Star
wtf am i reading????????

An educated conversation, not just a slamfest. I know its hard to believe to since we haven't had anything remotely like this on this board in years. When I joined intelligent talk was a daily thing and was the main reason I stuck around KO.COM. Props to everybody involved!!!!

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
16 game winners, thats insane, and he's only 26. most clutch player in the L since Jordan and i see no reason why melo can't finish ahead of jordan as the most clutch player ever by the time melo calls it a career. all he needs now is a couple of rings :gony:

jimkcchief88

All Star

+1. What our government did to the Panthers was probably worse because it was covert action. As alluded to above you had the FBI infiltrating a group that was mainly there to teach black pride and uplift the community. We speak of the Eddy Curry's of the world as "lazy", but who was there to teach him a positive work ethic and healthy eating habits. Obesity and the health dangers associated with it are a plague on the black community since we were left to eat the scraps of the pig. We actually have embraced being unhealthy with the "real women have curves" movement instead of physical education and good eating habits. I know many wrongs have been committed against all types of people, but chattel slavery against blacks distinguished itself because of the brutality and long term effects on a race thus earning the name "Peculiar Institution."