Carmelo Anthony Discussion Thread - All Things Melo

quiggle

Starter
the one thing that I cant stand about Melo is that the guy cant tell a believable lie. lets be realistic here man you dont like Renaissaince Man and dont want him as a teammate, stop all this garbage that we need him, hes important part of the team, we can play alongside together and make it work. really, does anyone believe you when you said you like playing for Dantoni and played no role in getting him fired?

jimkcchief88

All Star
The day after STAT quits on the team and now this worthless thread about the only player we got. KB, what game are you watching???? All I saw last night was MELO taking on the entire HEAT team, shooting jumpers in peoples grill, then taking fools to the cup and dunking out. Again, WHAT GAME WHERE YOU WATCHING???? And who told you scorers are supposed to be efficient??? That has been a MYTH on this board for a long time. The only efficient scorer is a center taking high % shots. The last was probably SHAQ except he sucked at the line. The rest from Kobe to Iverson to Jordan are jump shooters who score from a VOLUME of shots. Sometimes a jump shooter will shoot a high %, more often then not they won't. But scorers again get their points from a VOLUME of shots. Hello Mcfly.... Repeat after me: NBA PLAYER OF THE MONTH.....

KnickolasMGL

Benchwarmer
@KBlack25,

I see your point, somewhat,

now everyone's hating on STAT and blaming global warming on him....
what's gonna be next, I'm wondering?

Now on the hate-chopping-block is Amar'e for being pissed of (albeit doing some dumbshit)
Next is Woody for never being successful in playoffs.....

Then next is the fact that the supporting cast is not good....
Then next is Chandler if he misses a game.....

Melo is the player the Knicks bet the house on, so he should be accountable if shit goes wrong.

Even Patrick was blamed sometimes, and that was bullshit.
So unless Melo leads us in a big run in the playoffs I can't blame everyone and their mamas while hushing on Melo.....

nuckles2k2

Superstar
Amar'e Stoudemire will most likely have only played in 3 of the team's 8 playoff games in the last two years. The three games missed last year, and the 2, that he'll seemingly miss this year, will have nothing to do with injuries sustained while earning his $100M.

A back injury last year sustained in the GOD DAMN layup line, while dunking. A lacerated hand this year, punching a MOTHER ****ING encasement around a fire extinguisher.

But the attention is deviated to Carmelo because...what?

This feels like some defense attorney type shit, where you are assed out, and your saving grace is to try to deviate the attention from your client's guilt, and distract the living shit outta the jury with inconsequential bullshit, just to take advantage of their short attention spans.

Amar'e Stoudemire had 5 points, 3 rebounds, and 2 fouls, going 1-1 from the field and 3-4 from the line, in the first half last night. We need more in 2 quarters of action.

What Carmelo did 3 months ago is irrelevant, what he did when he stepped up in STAT's absence is irrelevant. The only thing that's relevant is what the team does going forward; but for the second straight year, Stoudemire is missing playoff games for an injury that was sustained in insanely idiotic fashion.

But Carmelo is the problem because he didn't get along with the coach who led the team to an 18-24 record up until he was replaced by a man who led the team to a 18-6 record to finish the season. And if you're going to try to use the argument "oh, but Melo started trying, he put effort in" then you're stating the reasons he should be untouchable. Especially when he missed time during the 18-24 time frame, while STAT missed time in the 18-6 run. We would jettison Melo for what reason?

I'm more disappointed in Woodson than anything else. The big criticism about him was him being a one trick pony with his history in Atlanta and his Iso-Joe plays. He denys it, and then we see Iso-Melo all game long.

At halftime in the first game, a reporter asked what he was going to do to adjust, and he responded, "we aren't going to change anything." Are you serious? And we actually didn't change anything. They just kept desperately trying to throw the ball to Melo at the same spot, with the same play, even though he was being fronted, and we got a bunch of sad looking turnovers because of it.

Stat got 7 shots in the first game, and only 9 in the second game. J.R. Smith is chucking more shots than Stat. Stat is not included at all in our offensive sets. We can't do this Iso-Melo shit when he is being guarded by Lebron. They don't need to immediately double Melo like poorer teams do. That's why Melo didn't get any easy assists, matter a fact, he got the ball pretty much everytime and still only accumulated 1 assist that entire game.

KnickolasMGL

Benchwarmer
Woodson has no offensive game plan, WHICH COULD BE OKAY, if his stars really commit to defense like the Pistons of recent times under Larry Brown.

But the 2 superstars aren't wired to playing that kind of defense, which screws up the whole damn strategy.

KBlack25

Starter
The day after STAT quits on the team and now this worthless thread about the only player we got. KB, what game are you watching???? All I saw last night was MELO taking on the entire HEAT team, shooting jumpers in peoples grill, then taking fools to the cup and dunking out. Again, WHAT GAME WHERE YOU WATCHING???? And who told you scorers are supposed to be efficient??? That has been a MYTH on this board for a long time. The only efficient scorer is a center taking high % shots. The last was probably SHAQ except he sucked at the line. The rest from Kobe to Iverson to Jordan are jump shooters who score from a VOLUME of shots. Sometimes a jump shooter will shoot a high %, more often then not they won't. But scorers again get their points from a VOLUME of shots. Hello Mcfly.... Repeat after me: NBA PLAYER OF THE MONTH.....

Who told me scorers are supposed to be efficient?

Well, John Hollinger for one - PER relies on True Shooting Percentage:

True Shooting Percentage - what a player's shooting percentage would be if we accounted for free throws and 3-pointers. True Shooting Percentage = Total points / [(FGA + (0.44 x FTA)]

So yes, how many attempts v. how many points you have is something that matters.

The responses to this thread are absolutely disgusting.

Never have I ever in my life seen fans see a player admit he quit on the team, and then get absolved because he tried later. Are you ****ing joking me? This guy is a nine year vet, and didn't try hard because he didn't like the coach...and you absolve him of all wrongdoing?

What kind of backwards ass messed up world is this where a guy can say that he wasn't giving an effort, and that's okay?

KBlack25

Starter
But Carmelo is the problem because he didn't get along with the coach who led the team to an 18-24 record up until he was replaced by a man who led the team to a 18-6 record to finish the season. And if you're going to try to use the argument "oh, but Melo started trying, he put effort in" then you're stating the reasons he should be untouchable. Especially when he missed time during the 18-24 time frame, while STAT missed time in the 18-6 run. We would jettison Melo for what reason?

No...the fact that he only started trying when the coach he didn't get along with left is the reason why he is a no good crybaby.

This guy quit on George Karl and the Nuggets. He admitted he quit on MDA and vicariously this team and all of us.

And we took it.

You guys have some sort of twisted battered wife syndrome or something, this guy continues to do wrong, and you absolve him because he made up for it after. The way this guy acts is unacceptable.

Amare didn't quit on this team - he didn't purposely give no effort on the floor like Carmelo admitted he did. He did something stupid (twice) - but I don't believe he purposely bled all over the visitors lockerroom in Miami to get out of having to play.

And if Amare came out and admitted that's what he did, I'll bash Amare for quitting on this team.

Melo quit on the team - admitted it - and apparently that's okay.

Get the **** out of here.

KBlack25

Starter
Again, for emphasis sake:

Here are the facts: It is Carmelo Anthony?s 9th season in the league. He makes upwards of $18 million every year. He nearly disgraced himself and acted selfishly in Denver to force his way to New York in time to sign a hefty extension. He will turn 28 this year. And he had to actively ask Mike Woodson to hold him accountable.

Yes, a man with nearly a decade of experience in the NBA with a maximum contract needs to be monitored like a 6-year-old boy. How does a Melo fan rationalize that? I am not making up that Carmelo Anthony did not try under Coach D?Antoni ? he actively admitted it. Where have we seen this sort of ?I?m going to do what I want to do, and try when I feel like it? mentality in New York before? Stephon Marbury. Steph quit on Larry Brown and quit on Isiah Thomas ? and yet always seemed to be absolved by the MSG faithful of any wrongdoing. We ignored Steph crying his way out of Minnesota when KG got paid more than him, we ignored how willing the Nets and the Suns were to get rid of a guy that was supposed to be superstar.

It was never Steph?s fault. Always everybody else?s. How?s that for accountability?

And now we are seeing the same thing with Carmelo.

The fact that Carmelo lacks the self-motivation to actually give half of a crap on a defense reeks not only of the selfishness we saw from Steph, but of the selfishness we saw from Carmelo just over a year ago when he held the Denver Nuggets hostage to get a trade done.

Carmelo begged for this, he begged for the spotlight, he begged for the impatient nature of the New York media (really, guys, how many Knicks games have you really watched if you are begging for the media to show patience?). And what did Carmelo do when he got here?

He quit.

He gave up.

He stomped his feet until a new coach came in to monitor him. Like a child.

The fact that he needs monitoring, that he needs to be held accountable by some third party to actually give a damn is what is scary about Carmelo. Not the missed shots ? eventually they should start falling just by simple regression to the mean. He is a professional athlete, an experienced one. Why should he ?need? a tough coach to play well? If he?s the superstar worth the bounty that the Knicks paid for him, shouldn?t he be self motivated to actually care to win for the city he pushed to come to and he ?grew up? in (I use the term ?grew up? loosely ? he moved away from New York at 8)?

I am sick of the excuses for Carmelo, just like I was sick of the excuses for Stephon Marbury. Carmelo has now quit on two of his previous coaches, one of whom took shots at him the second he stepped on the plane to New York. Eventually, we as fans have to realize: maybe the player is the problem, and not everybody else.

I want to believe Melo can turn it around, can get himself motivated, to want to be the superstar we all want him to be. But right now, he seems to care more about himself than he does the mental health and chemistry of the other 14 guys on the floor.

I wonder what the excuse will be when he quits on Mike Woodson.

Den318

Benchwarmer
No...the fact that he only started trying when the coach he didn't get along with left is the reason why he is a no good crybaby.

This guy quit on George Karl and the Nuggets. He admitted he quit on MDA and vicariously this team and all of us.

And we took it.

You guys have some sort of twisted battered wife syndrome or something, this guy continues to do wrong, and you absolve him because he made up for it after. The way this guy acts is unacceptable.

Amare didn't quit on this team - he didn't purposely give no effort on the floor like Carmelo admitted he did. He did something stupid (twice) - but I don't believe he purposely bled all over the visitors lockerroom in Miami to get out of having to play.

And if Amare came out and admitted that's what he did, I'll bash Amare for quitting on this team.

Melo quit on the team - admitted it - and apparently that's okay.

Get the **** out of here.

+100... He is a selfish player. He will always be a loser.

NY17KNICKS

★Melo Mafia★
EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU WANTED MDA GONE, ADMIT YOU F*CKIN IDIOTS, YOU WANTED HIM GONE. MELO HATED HIM TOO AND KNEW THIS TEAM WAS GOING TO BE GARBAGE WITH HIM AND WE WERE! MELO SAVED US FROM HIM, HE SAVED US FROM MORE LOSING SEASONS TO COME AND HE SAVED US FROM WASTING THE TALENT ON THIS ROSTER.

Melo didn't have to come here, that money shit is bullshit, he would have got paid the same amount in Denver. He WANTED to come here, to play in front you guys and to be a KNICK.

Melo has single handedly won us games this year, WHERE WAS YOUR SAVIOR OF THE KNICKS STOUDEMIRE!? BEING A 100 MILLION DOLLAR PIECE OF SHIT!

Den you are one of the dumbest motherf*ckers on here bro, Melo this and Melo that, that's all I f*ckin hear from you.

He quit on the team your right but god damn I would have also BECAUSE NO ONE ELSE WAS F*CKING PRODUCING.

and where the f*ck are the threads for JR CHUCK LIKE A BITCH SMITH and Landry I SUCK DICK fields!? is it because they played for MDA and liked losing so they don't get hated on for lickin dick?

Red rep me, talk shit about me, IDGAF any more. I sick of you people.

KBlack25

Starter
EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU WANTED MDA GONE, ADMIT YOU F*CKIN IDIOTS, YOU WANTED HIM GONE. MELO HATED HIM TOO AND KNEW THIS TEAM WAS GOING TO BE GARBAGE WITH HIM AND WE WERE! MELO SAVED US FROM HIM, HE SAVED US FROM MORE LOSING SEASONS TO COME AND HE SAVED US FROM WASTING THE TALENT ON THIS ROSTER.

Melo didn't have to come here, that money shit is bullshit, he would have got paid the same amount in Denver. He WANTED to come here, to play in front you guys and to be a KNICK.

Melo has single handedly won us games this year, WHERE WAS YOUR SAVIOR OF THE KNICKS STOUDEMIRE!? BEING A 100 MILLION DOLLAR PIECE OF SHIT!

Den you are one of the dumbest motherf*ckers on here bro, Melo this and Melo that, that's all I f*ckin hear from you.

He quit on the team your right but god damn I would have also BECAUSE NO ONE ELSE WAS F*CKING PRODUCING.

and where the f*ck are the threads for JR CHUCK LIKE A BITCH SMITH and Landry I SUCK DICK fields!? is it because they played for MDA and liked losing so they don't get hated on for lickin dick?

Here are the facts: It is Carmelo Anthony?s 9th season in the league. He makes upwards of $18 million every year. He nearly disgraced himself and acted selfishly in Denver to force his way to New York in time to sign a hefty extension. He will turn 28 this year. And he had to actively ask Mike Woodson to hold him accountable.

Yes, a man with nearly a decade of experience in the NBA with a maximum contract needs to be monitored like a 6-year-old boy. How does a Melo fan rationalize that? I am not making up that Carmelo Anthony did not try under Coach D?Antoni ? he actively admitted it. Where have we seen this sort of ?I?m going to do what I want to do, and try when I feel like it? mentality in New York before? Stephon Marbury. Steph quit on Larry Brown and quit on Isiah Thomas ? and yet always seemed to be absolved by the MSG faithful of any wrongdoing. We ignored Steph crying his way out of Minnesota when KG got paid more than him, we ignored how willing the Nets and the Suns were to get rid of a guy that was supposed to be superstar.

It was never Steph?s fault. Always everybody else?s. How?s that for accountability?

The fact that Carmelo lacks the self-motivation to actually give half of a crap on a defense reeks not only of the selfishness we saw from Steph, but of the selfishness we saw from Carmelo just over a year ago when he held the Denver Nuggets hostage to get a trade done.

Carmelo begged for this, he begged for the spotlight, he begged for the impatient nature of the New York media (really, guys, how many Knicks games have you really watched if you are begging for the media to show patience?). And what did Carmelo do when he got here?

He quit.

He gave up.

The fact that he needs monitoring, that he needs to be held accountable by some third party to actually give a damn is what is scary about Carmelo. Not the missed shots ? eventually they should start falling just by simple regression to the mean. He is a professional athlete, an experienced one. Why should he ?need? a tough coach to play well? If he?s the superstar worth the bounty that the Knicks paid for him, shouldn?t he be self motivated to actually care to win for the city he pushed to come to and he ?grew up? in (I use the term ?grew up? loosely ? he moved away from New York at 8)?

I am sick of the excuses for Carmelo, just like I was sick of the excuses for Stephon Marbury. Carmelo has now quit on two of his previous coaches, one of whom took shots at him the second he stepped on the plane to New York. Eventually, we as fans have to realize: maybe the player is the problem, and not everybody else.

I want to believe Melo can turn it around, can get himself motivated, to want to be the superstar we all want him to be. But right now, he seems to care more about himself than he does the mental health and chemistry of the other 14 guys on the floor.

NY17KNICKS

★Melo Mafia★
Here are the facts: It is Carmelo Anthony’s 9th season in the league. He makes upwards of $18 million every year. He nearly disgraced himself and acted selfishly in Denver to force his way to New York in time to sign a hefty extension. He will turn 28 this year. And he had to actively ask Mike Woodson to hold him accountable.

Yes, a man with nearly a decade of experience in the NBA with a maximum contract needs to be monitored like a 6-year-old boy. How does a Melo fan rationalize that? I am not making up that Carmelo Anthony did not try under Coach D’Antoni – he actively admitted it. Where have we seen this sort of “I’m going to do what I want to do, and try when I feel like it” mentality in New York before? Stephon Marbury. Steph quit on Larry Brown and quit on Isiah Thomas – and yet always seemed to be absolved by the MSG faithful of any wrongdoing. We ignored Steph crying his way out of Minnesota when KG got paid more than him, we ignored how willing the Nets and the Suns were to get rid of a guy that was supposed to be superstar.

It was never Steph’s fault. Always everybody else’s. How’s that for accountability?

He quit.

He gave up.

The fact that he needs monitoring, that he needs to be held accountable by some third party to actually give a damn is what is scary about Carmelo. Not the missed shots – eventually they should start falling just by simple regression to the mean. He is a professional athlete, an experienced one. Why should he “need” a tough coach to play well? If he’s the superstar worth the bounty that the Knicks paid for him, shouldn’t he be self motivated to actually care to win for the city he pushed to come to and he “grew up” in (I use the term “grew up” loosely – he moved away from New York at 8)?

Damn bro your right, call the Knicks, tell them your K-Black from KnicksOnline and tell to trade Carmelo immediately.

jimkcchief88

All Star
Who told me scorers are supposed to be efficient?

Well, John Hollinger for one - PER relies on True Shooting Percentage:

True Shooting Percentage - what a player's shooting percentage would be if we accounted for free throws and 3-pointers. True Shooting Percentage = Total points / [(FGA + (0.44 x FTA)]

So yes, how many attempts v. how many points you have is something that matters.

The responses to this thread are absolutely disgusting.

Never have I ever in my life seen fans see a player admit he quit on the team, and then get absolved because he tried later. Are you ****ing joking me? This guy is a nine year vet, and didn't try hard because he didn't like the coach...and you absolve him of all wrongdoing?

What kind of backwards ass messed up world is this where a guy can say that he wasn't giving an effort, and that's okay?

And John Hollinger is WHO again. I would bet he is some EGGHEAD PHD that has NEVER even played in a pickup game because no one wanted him lol

skisloper

Starter

You are 100% right..........Melo did the right thing by quitting on his team. Whenever a player is unhappy they too should do what Melo did and quit on the team......

So If I guy is getting less minutes then he deserves then when he is in he should not try......is that what you are saying ?

Melo gets paid 18 million a year to play basketball. ....I cannot beleive that you think it was OK for him to quit on the team.

NY17KNICKS

★Melo Mafia★
You are 100% right..........Melo did the right thing by quitting on his team. Whenever a player is unhappy they too should do what Melo did and quit on the team......

So If I guy is getting less minutes then he deserves then when he is in he should not try......is that what you are saying ?

Melo gets paid 18 million a year to play basketball. ....I cannot beleive that you think it was OK for him to quit on the team.
I cant answer that, I dont get paid 18 mil to put a ball in a hoop.

orangeblobman

Rotation player

Yea, you're healthy.

KBlack25

Starter
And John Hollinger is WHO again. I would bet he is some EGGHEAD PHD that has NEVER even played in a pickup game because no one wanted him lol

John Hollinger has forgotten more about hoops than you ever knew.

It's a pretty widely accepted thought that points/FGA is an important and useful stat.