Carmelo Anthony Discussion Thread - All Things Melo

KBlack25

Starter
Then you know I will continue to hand you the shovel so you can bury yourself. I saw a funny blurb in the sports section today: "Paul Pierce BATTLES through another tough shooting night to score 36....Celtic win....without Rajon Rondo." So using your stupid little equation he should have stopped shooting because he wasn't EFFICIENT. But your equation doesn't account for the fact that a scorer will SHOOT THIER WAY OUTTA A SLUMP. Pierce only went 12-26 from the field, but managed to get to the free-throw line 13 times, of which he made 11. I would call that efficient and it was because he KEPT shooting. That is what is known in Boxing as "effective aggressiveness" or what Teddy Atlas would call:"a perponderance of punches." Scorers win by VOLUMES of shots like good BOXERS win by volumes of punches. %'s are irrelevant as long as the shots are in THE FLOW OF THE OFFENSE.

It's also funny you bring up the same sportswriters who regard MELO as a top five player and just VOTED MELO NBA PLAYER OF THE MONTH. But i guess as the song goes: HATERS GONNA HATE(kb black), BALLERS GONNA BALL(Melo). You sure this isn't PERSONAL like Melo didn't sign an autograph for ya, or were you one of those ****LOVERS that hated to see Gallinari go???:):)

That whole rant you gave does factor into the equation. Its points over fga - so getting to the line counts. Pierce was more efficient than Melo was. But continue to build a straw man and make no sense.

skisloper

Starter
K Black you cannot seriously say Stat is giving 100% effort when he doensn't even put his hands up on Defense to get in a players grill

Not having any defensive awareness is one thing, but not even showing the minimal effort is just as damning. He also can't box out for anything.

Amare does put his hands up...but then he turns his body sideways to avoid any contact....it really is unreal

skisloper

Starter
Then you know I will continue to hand you the shovel so you can bury yourself. I saw a funny blurb in the sports section today: "Paul Pierce BATTLES through another tough shooting night to score 36....Celtic win....without Rajon Rondo." So using your stupid little equation he should have stopped shooting because he wasn't EFFICIENT. But your equation doesn't account for the fact that a scorer will SHOOT THIER WAY OUTTA A SLUMP. Pierce only went 12-26 from the field, but managed to get to the free-throw line 13 times, of which he made 11. I would call that efficient and it was because he KEPT shooting. That is what is known in Boxing as "effective aggressiveness" or what Teddy Atlas would call:"a perponderance of punches." Scorers win by VOLUMES of shots like good BOXERS win by volumes of punches. %'s are irrelevant as long as the shots are in THE FLOW OF THE OFFENSE.

It's also funny you bring up the same sportswriters who regard MELO as a top five player and just VOTED MELO NBA PLAYER OF THE MONTH. But i guess as the song goes: HATERS GONNA HATE(kb black), BALLERS GONNA BALL(Melo). You sure this isn't PERSONAL like Melo didn't sign an autograph for ya, or were you one of those ****LOVERS that hated to see Gallinari go???:):)

I wish Melo had the attitude of Paul Pierce....
Melo has more skill but Pierce's attitude makes him a winner

WVKnickfan

Rotation player
Uhhh and STAT got a raw deal how????? Last I checked Melo is playing tomorrow night....He didn't throw a fit like a two year old(STAT) and knock himself out of the rest of the series. Not to mention MELO CAME INTO the NBA fresh off the NCAA CHAMPIONSHIP he won as a FRESHMAN. Its not MELO's fault they never surrounded him with talent in small-market Denver which why MELO left the cowtown to come home to the NYC. Same reason Lebron left small market Cleveland for Miami to be surrounded by more talent in Miami to win a title. Using your logic Lebron is a LOSER as well because he spent 7 years with the CAVS and no title. But again as the song goes: HATERS GONNA HATE(wvknickfan), BALLERS GONNA BALL(MELO).:):)

LOL to listen to you and every other melo defender its never Melo's fault.You are wrong about Melo not throwing a fit b/c the guy has threw a fit and acted like a baby ALL YEAR LONG.The only reason he has'nt punched a glass is b/c he has cried so much until he got his way. You can say I hate melo all you want but that is far from the truth.I wish nothing but the best for melo and WANT him to succeed for the knicks.The way he acts and the one on one game that he plays rather than playing team ball makes hit hard to cheer for the guy.I want the knicks to win a championship with melo but as long as melo plays keeps playing selfish and no team ball then we can forget about winning any nba championships. FACTS ARE FACTS (jimkcchief88) BALLERS GOT ALOT TO LEARN (MELO):peace::smokin:

jimkcchief88

All Star
LOL to listen to you and every other melo defender its never Melo's fault.You are wrong about Melo not throwing a fit b/c the guy has threw a fit and acted like a baby ALL YEAR LONG.The only reason he has'nt punched a glass is b/c he has cried so much until he got his way. You can say I hate melo all you want but that is far from the truth.I wish nothing but the best for melo and WANT him to succeed for the knicks.The way he acts and the one on one game that he plays rather than playing team ball makes hit hard to cheer for the guy.I want the knicks to win a championship with melo but as long as melo plays keeps playing selfish and no team ball then we can forget about winning any nba championships. FACTS ARE FACTS (jimkcchief88) BALLERS GOT ALOT TO LEARN (MELO):peace::smokin:

HATER ALERT!!! REPEAT AFTER ME: NBA PLAYER OF THE MONTH!!! NOW THATS A FACT JACK:):)

jimkcchief88

All Star
That whole rant you gave does factor into the equation. Its points over fga - so getting to the line counts. Pierce was more efficient than Melo was. But continue to build a straw man and make no sense.

A free-throw is not a FIELD GOAL attempt dummy; Two different catagories stat man, TRY AGAIN

Benchwarmer
Can't we just be happy that the Knicks did as well as
they did and stop trying to find blame??!!

nuckles2k2

Superstar
A free-throw is not a FIELD GOAL attempt dummy; Two different catagories stat man, TRY AGAIN

I think he's saying points scored at the free throw line doesn't count as points scored off of a field goal attempt, so it's more efficient when you have a nice separation between points scored and FGAs.

26 points on 30 shots is inefficient. I just don't see that being on the same level as missing 5 out of 8 playoff games in 2 years, especially when both were self inflicted, outside of the confines of an NBA game. Tweaking your back on an overly athletic dunk in the layup line, and then cutting your hand on glass covering a fire extinguisher, is far more egregious than feeling the need to carry your team in the playoffs.....yet again, because you're not getting much help.

Amar'e was 1-1 from the field in the first half on Monday, 3-4 from the free throw line. So by that stat line, he took a grand total of 3 shot attempts in the first half, 2 not counting as attempts on the box score. But still 3, nonetheless.

3 actual attempts in one half of basketball. $18,217,705 salary. 3 shot attempts from the field in a half of playoff basketball.

Fields had 3 attempts in the first half, Tyson had 4....Amar'e had 3. You have to find a way to get more shots if you're making $18,217,705. Simple as that.

KBlack25

Starter

Wow. Okay. Let me break this down for you very basically.

When a player attempts a "Free Throw", he is able to make one point for each time he puts it in the basket.

These so-called "points" are added to his team, and vicariously, his individual totals.

At the end of the game, you can add up all of the "points" that player scored for a "total" of points - again, for clarity's sake these INCLUDE one point for every free throw made.

Even though a free throw counts for a point, it does NOT count as a FG attempt, whether it is hit or missed.

Therefore, if a player scores 10 FTs, and 20 points elsewhere on the floor on 15 field goal attempts, he will actually have scored THIRTY (10 + 20) on FIFTEEN FGA (or, 2 total points per field goal attempt - Thirty points divided by fifteen field goal attempts).

By the same token, a guy who scores 0 FTs and 20 points elsewhere on the floor on 15 field goal attempts, he will have only scored TWENTY points on FIFTEEN FGA (for a total of 1.3333 points per field goal attempt).

Player TWO in this scenario is less efficient than player ONE even though they scored the same points from the field on the same amount of attempts, because Player ONE got himself to, and made, his free throw attempts - essentially player one is rewarded for attacking the hoop and getting fouled.

This concludes third grade mathematics.

Christ, it's no wonder intelligence scares you.

KBlack25

Starter
I think he's saying points scored at the free throw line doesn't count as points scored off of a field goal attempt, so it's more efficient when you have a nice separation between points scored and FGAs.

26 points on 30 shots is inefficient. I just don't see that being on the same level as missing 5 out of 8 playoff games in 2 years, especially when both were self inflicted, outside of the confines of an NBA game. Tweaking your back on an overly athletic dunk in the layup line, and then cutting your hand on glass covering a fire extinguisher, is far more egregious than feeling the need to carry your team in the playoffs.....yet again, because you're not getting much help.

Amar'e was 1-1 from the field in the first half on Monday, 3-4 from the free throw line. So by that stat line, he took a grand total of 3 shot attempts in the first half, 2 not counting as attempts on the box score. But still 3, nonetheless.

3 actual attempts in one half of basketball. $18,217,705 salary. 3 shot attempts from the field in a half of playoff basketball.

Fields had 3 attempts in the first half, Tyson had 4....Amar'e had 3. You have to find a way to get more shots if you're making $18,217,705. Simple as that.

I agree Amare has been bad.

Fact of the matter is though, last year if Amare blew out his back dunking in the layup line, he would have blown it out at some point in that series. If a layup line dunk, no matter how flashy, blows out your back actual playoff basketball would certainly have done it.

jimkcchief88

All Star
Wow. Okay. Let me break this down for you very basically.

When a player attempts a "Free Throw", he is able to make one point for each time he puts it in the basket.

These so-called "points" are added to his team, and vicariously, his individual totals.

At the end of the game, you can add up all of the "points" that player scored for a "total" of points - again, for clarity's sake these INCLUDE one point for every free throw made.

Even though a free throw counts for a point, it does NOT count as a FG attempt, whether it is hit or missed.

Therefore, if a player scores 10 FTs, and 20 points elsewhere on the floor on 15 field goal attempts, he will actually have scored THIRTY (10 + 20) on FIFTEEN FGA (or, 2 total points per field goal attempt - Thirty points divided by fifteen field goal attempts).

By the same token, a guy who scores 0 FTs and 20 points elsewhere on the floor on 15 field goal attempts, he will have only scored TWENTY points on FIFTEEN FGA (for a total of 1.3333 points per field goal attempt).

Player TWO in this scenario is less efficient than player ONE even though they scored the same points from the field on the same amount of attempts, because Player ONE got himself to, and made, his free throw attempts - essentially player one is rewarded for attacking the hoop and getting fouled.

This concludes third grade mathematics.

Christ, it's no wonder intelligence scares you.

Dude don't even try to confuse me. A free-throw is NOT a field goal attempt. PERIOD. Two different columns in the STAT-LINE. PERIOD. I do finance for a living so I understand mathematics just fine. 2+2=4 every time. The great scorers in todays league are jump shooters. That means the shots they take are low % shots. There are no more Kareems or Wilts, or Hakeems that can score a lot of points on a high% Field Goal attempts. Check the top 10 leading scorers with your own system to verify this. They all by your own definition will be inefficient. But they get to the line, where most are good free-throw shooters, to make up the difference. Free-throws again are not FG. You can use your new math all you want, but I know the difference. I was playing Statis-Pro Basketball, the board game, long before 2k whatever was on xbox. Look it up.

KBlack25

Starter
Dude don't even try to confuse me. A free-throw is NOT a field goal attempt. PERIOD. Two different columns in the STAT-LINE. PERIOD. I do finance for a living so I understand mathematics just fine. 2+2=4 every time. The great scorers in todays league are jump shooters. That means the shots they take are low % shots. There are no more Kareems or Wilts, or Hakeems that can score a lot of points on a high% Field Goal attempts. Check the top 10 leading scorers with your own system to verify this. They all by your own definition will be inefficient. But they get to the line, where most are good free-throw shooters, to make up the difference. Free-throws again are not FG. You can use your new math all you want, but I know the difference. I was playing Statis-Pro Basketball, the board game, long before 2k whatever was on xbox. Look it up.

LMFAO you just don't get it.

FTs are not FGA you are right - but efficiency gives the player attacking the hoop and getting to the FT line (drawing contact getting what should be easy points) by counting the points without counting a FGA.

RIF.

WVKnickfan

Rotation player
HATER ALERT!!! REPEAT AFTER ME: NBA PLAYER OF THE MONTH!!! NOW THATS A FACT JACK:):)

HOMER ALERT!!! REPEAT AFTER ME: NBA PLAYER OF THE MONTH PLAYER WITH NO NBA CHAMPIONSHIP RINGS!!! NOW THATS A FACT JACK :peace::beer:

Game set and match!! have a nice day!!!:smokin:

jimkcchief88

All Star
HOMER ALERT!!! REPEAT AFTER ME: NBA PLAYER OF THE MONTH PLAYER WITH NO NBA CHAMPIONSHIP RINGS!!! NOW THATS A FACT JACK :peace::beer:

Game set and match!! have a nice day!!!:smokin:

Uhhh this is a KO.COM, Kinda supposed to be a HOMER!!! Hello Mcfly.... WV must stand for West Virginia so u get the HILLBILLY pass lol:):)

Den318

Benchwarmer
Uhhh this is a KO.COM, Kinda supposed to be a HOMER!!! Hello Mcfly.... WV must stand for West Virginia so u get the HILLBILLY pass lol:):)

Another ROUND ONE AND OUT from Melo. He is a loser. 0 for 6 in playoff games with the Knicks. He is nothing but a selfish loser. He can score 50 pts tomorrow and the Knicks will lose. He is not a team player. I rather trade this loser than Amare.

orangeblobman

Rotation player
Another ROUND ONE AND OUT from Melo. He is a loser. 0 for 6 in playoff games with the Knicks. He is nothing but a selfish loser. He can score 50 pts tomorrow and the Knicks will lose. He is not a team player. I rather trade this loser than Amare.

14% playoffs winning percentage if you don't count that ONE year where he got out of the first round. And even then it's only like 34%. LOL.

Marbury > Melo

jimkcchief88

All Star
LMFAO you just don't get it.

FTs are not FGA you are right - but efficiency gives the player attacking the hoop and getting to the FT line (drawing contact getting what should be easy points) by counting the points without counting a FGA.

RIF.

Yep I agree to disagree....So while I am enjoying MELO breaking ankles tomorrow night, shooting jumpers in the Heats teeth, and going to the rack pearling and dunking, I will let you keep the stats on how inefficient MELO is. It's a role you are accustomed to because after you get cut, coach offers to let you keep STATS...Get with the program dawg and stop hating on the best player in a KNICKS uniform in over a decade.

KBlack25

Starter
Yep I agree to disagree....So while I am enjoying MELO breaking ankles tomorrow night, shooting jumpers in the Heats teeth, and going to the rack pearling and dunking, I will let you keep the stats on how inefficient MELO is. It's a role you are accustomed to because after you get cut, coach offers to let you keep STATS...Get with the program dawg and stop hating on the best player in a KNICKS uniform in over a decade.

You disagree that efficiency, as I stated it and explained, rewards players who attack the basket?