Carmelo Anthony Discussion Thread - All Things Melo

Kiyaman

Legend
Crazy⑧s;275386 said:
Did you just call Melo a low IQ baller? Kiya, you need to form opinions out of what you see. Don't form opinions out of what you want to say.

Thats not an opinion that's a FACT!

A few u tube videos of Melo passing the ball suppose to make me believe Melo has great passing skills?
Is it an opinion that Melo get a touch of the ball on practically 80% of our offensive-possessions?
Only the PG suppose to touch the ball on 80% of a teams offensive-possession in a 48 minute game.
After watching Iverson average 8 assist in all 82 games to lead Denver to a 50 win season, making Kleiza look like a young star, and JRsmith the 2nd runner up for the 6th man award, while Camby average 9 pts, 3 ast, 13 rb, and damn near 4 blocks per game ..
All my luv for ISO-Melo went out the door when Denver traded Camby & Iverson that offseason (2008).

u have to be a very low IQ player when ur down by one point, and u hold & dribble the ball for 8 seconds then throw the ball to Jared Jefferies on the perimeter with 2 seconds left in the game.
Thats not an opinion those are facts...

Kiyaman

Legend
Kiya forget watching melo in the vids. Watch what they are doing around him and then watch a playoff game and those people aren't cutting and spacing the floor the same way.... did u really say that melo has a low b ball iq? That shows your basketball iQ. He's one of the more intelligent players in the league, easily a top 10 on just playing smart..... here's something smart. I'd rather melo take 10 shots then him taking 6 and Ronnie brewer taking 4. I'd rather melo taking a contested shot then most of our whole team taking a wide open shot. He's a lethal scorer a great passer. You build up amare but do u not realize that everything melo is doing stat was doing his first year here too. But melo is much more smarter player then stat.... how do u hate on a future hall of famer the way u do. Smh

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

how do u hate on a future hall of famer the way u do?

1) I dont see Melo as a future HOF
2) Melo's action & personality has made Melo's teammates play without effort in 9 of his postseason appearances.
3) Melo is an individual player like Marbury (and Marbury average 8 ast)
4) Melo do not have half of the skills & talent as ex-Knicks Bernard King

CA7

Scoring Champ

2) Melo's action & personality has made Melo's teammates play without effort in 9 of his postseason appearances.

NCAA National Champion
All-American
Big East Freshman of the Year
2 Olympic Gold Medals
6 time all star, likely ends up with 10
Scoring Champ
HOF averages 25-6-3 for his career not bad

This man just needs to get to the Finals and win a ring and his ticket is booked

knicksince 93

Rotation player
NCAA National Champion
All-American
Big East Freshman of the Year
2 Olympic Gold Medals
6 time all star, likely ends up with 10
Scoring Champ
HOF averages 25-6-3 for his career not bad

This man just needs to get to the Finals and win a ring and his ticket is booked
and he should have won rookie of the year too

Melo Muppets.

Caring about whether he should have won ROY, smfh.

This is Melo paying lips service (again) to the media about what he is "going to do", lol......

Melo simply isn't good enough to maintain the type of playing style and ego that he demands. He isn't Lebron. He is writing checks that he won't be able to cash. Every year it is same **** with Melo; no matter who his coach his, who is teammates are.

How about Melo just shuts the **** and acts like the superstar he wants to be. Make players around him better, win at all costs.

He's a greatly talented all-star, but he is playing in a league that is in a GOLDEN AGE of basketball talent. And he isn't talented ENOUGH to maintain the type of game and style and ego that he has, w/o constantly falling short when compared to the true contending teams of the NBA.

Kiyaman

Legend
A couple of reason why I did not want the Knicks to get involve in the Melo-Trade ...

In the past two season the majority of Knicks forums put up Threads comparing Carmelo Anthony on the same pedestal as Kevin Durant. Durant won by 68%

Here is an article on Carmelo vs Harden ....

When the New York Knicks acquired Carmelo Anthony from the Denver Nuggets a few years ago, many Knicks fans believed they finally had the star player the franchise had been lacking.

Similarly, the Houston Rockets celebrated when they traded for James Harden, who has been the star the team has not had since Tracy McGrady. Both players have proven to be dangerous scorers who account for many of their team's points.

As two of the top scorers in the NBA, it's only natural to compare Melo and Harden. Despite being a few years younger, Harden is the better player for a few reasons.

Harden's facilitating skills are superior to Melo's

At 6 feet 5 inches, James Harden is essentially a giant pick-and-roll point guard. Houston runs its offense through him with plenty of high pick-and-roll sets, where he is usually the ball-handler. Harden averaged 5.5 assists per 36 minutes last season. In a year many claimed Melo had "changed" his offensive ways, he averaged just 2.5 assists per 36 minutes last season. As a matter of fact, 2.5 assists per 36 minutes is still below his career average of 3.0.

Harden is clearly the better and more willing passer, a skill that makes a great scorer even more dangerous. It's hard to say Melo is necessarily a bad passer, as we simply haven't seen him facilitate an offense enough to know.

Melo is more of an "ball stopper"

A major knock on Melo has been he is a selfish offensive player. Although selfish is probably too harsh of a word, it's easy to see what the critics mean by it.

Melo loves to isolate, particularly from the wing. The Knicks' offense stops flowing when he does this, and they are at the mercy of whether or not his shots are falling. Isolation takes players out of the game, and it becomes very hard to keep teammates engaged when they aren't seeing the ball.

Much like Harden, Anthony has the potential to be a very good pick-and-roll player. We just haven't seen Melo commit to this, and, at this point, it's hard to believe he'll change much. Even when Harden isn't scoring, the way he runs an offense at least keeps the rest of his team engaged.

Volume, volume, volume
Fantasy Football Signup
It's easy to look at Melo's scoring numbers and be blown away. He averaged 28.7 points per game last season, which is certainly a number that can't be laughed at. However, when you dig a little deeper, it's easy to become critical.
Melo averaged a little less than three points per game more than Harden last season. To get these points, Anthony required a staggering five more shot attempts per game and posted a usage rate more than six percentage points higher than Harden. For those who may not know, usage rate is an estimate of team plays used by a player while he is in the game.
Should you really need five more shot attempts to score less than three more points?

Efficiency, thy name is Melo.
Harden does a better job at getting to the line

As one of the most dangerous pick-and-roll men in the league, Harden is a threat from anywhere on the floor coming off of a screen. This is evident from the fact that he got to the free-throw line a whopping 10.2 times per game last season, and he converted at an 85-percent clip. Even when his shot isn't falling, it seems that Harden can piece together a decent game from getting to the stripe.

Melo is no scrub at drawing fouls and getting to the line, either, as he attempted 7.6 free throw attempts per game last season, finishing at an 83-percent rate. However, nearly three more attempts per game is a significant difference, and one that cannot be ignored. Not only do free-throw attempts mean easy points for your team, but it also often means foul trouble for your opponent. Being able to have an opponent's backups in the game longer due to starters being in foul trouble is a huge advantage.

In many ways, Harden appears to be the more polished player. So, isn't it hard to believe that Harden is five years younger than Melo? This helps tilt the scale even more toward Harden, who is perhaps just beginning to enter his prime. Scary, right? At this point, we probably know what we're getting out of Melo.

Both the New York Knicks and Houston Rockets are surely happy to have their scoring machines. But if I have to pick between the two, give me James Harden over Carmelo Anthony.
In 2010-11 Feruary deadline the Knicks starting lineup "Amare / W.Chandler / Gallo / rookie / Felton" needed a starting SG .. not a roster change for a Ball-Hogger SF that wants to play at PF.
What do u think?

Last edited:

CoolClyde

^bravo Kiyaman. one of your best posts! bashing Melo with stats vs Harden! brilliant!
as much as I cringe when you bash the NYK, especially Melo, I have to agree with your
comparison/assessment. matching him up against James Harden was a great way to prove
your point. I believe Melo is a much better shooter (and ISO player..bleh), but Harden has
him beat in every other aspect of the game. I commend you for a well-thought out,
well-written post.

CA7

Scoring Champ
^bravo Kiyaman. one of your best posts! bashing Melo with stats vs Harden! brilliant!
as much as I cringe when you bash the NYK, especially Melo, I have to agree with your
comparison/assessment. matching him up against James Harden was a great way to prove
your point. I believe Melo is a much better shooter (and ISO player..bleh), but Harden has
him beat in every other aspect of the game. I commend you for a well-thought out,
well-written post.

honestly I dont agree with him for obvious reasons but besides that Harden is an exceptional basketball player but the same criticisms he gives Melo, Rockets fans were giving Harden

he took the ball out of Lin's hands and played a lot of one on one basketball

in context his assist numbers are better but Melo faced way way way more double teams leading to outlet passes rather than passes for shots

8's posted a video of Melo's assists, he's a great facilitator but the offense has to be designed around that

Melo thrives off of screens and quick decisions but is his own worst enemy in taking too much time

the problem I have with Kiya is he never gave him any credit for improving as a player this past year, he just looks at Melo's numbers and uses the cliches the media uses and Melo shut that up this past season

However Melo needs to be more consistent and make quicker and smarter decisions to help the team grow

but taking Harden and the pre-Melo Knicks over what we have now is agenda driven as **** and only shows deep down that he will only support the team if they do things the way he wants it done

no disrespect just calling it how I see it

knicksince 93

Rotation player
honestly I dont agree with him for obvious reasons but besides that Harden is an exceptional basketball player but the same criticisms he gives Melo, Rockets fans were giving Harden

in context his assist numbers are better but Melo faced way way way more double teams leading to outlet passes rather than passes for shots

8's posted a video of Melo's assists, he's a great facilitator but the offense has to be designed around that

Melo thrives off of screens and quick decisions but is his own worst enemy in taking too much time

the problem I have with Kiya is he never gave him any credit for improving as a player this past year, he just looks at Melo's numbers and uses the cliches the media uses and Melo shut that up this past season

However Melo needs to be more consistent and make quicker and smarter decisions to help the team grow

but taking Harden and the pre-Melo Knicks over what we have now is agenda driven as **** and only shows deep down that he will only support the team if they do things the way he wants it done

Omg perfect word when describing kiya CLICHE in regards to melo but the people saying it on t.v. don't watch him play every day so they just say the status quo about him. Crazy thing is I'm not even a melo fan and the person that kiya gives all of melos credit to happens to be my favorite of all time in Jason kidd but the truth is we went as far as melos bum shoulder took us and if his shoulder was healthy he would have single handedly beat the pacers but kiya says most of our wins came from a 40 year old, that won't happen in the history of sports.

Kiyaman

Legend

I can say the things I say because I had "NBA Pass" during Iverson era with Melo in Denver, and during Chauncey Billups era with Melo in Denver.
Why do I consider that important .. Iverson, Billups, and Jason Kidd has an NBA career of improving their teammates style of talent. The three guards I mention had an above-average super-star backcourt tandem partner in "PG-Snow, SG-Hamiliton, and SG-Kittles", and each of the three super-backcourt tandems took their mediocre team to the FINALS .... by not having a demanding ball-hogging SF-franchise player who playoff career average is 38% to 40% FG shooting. LOL

Kiyaman

Legend

Did Melo up/down 38% to 44% fg shooting shut anyone up? NO!
Our 5-18 start Felton average 19/7
The 15 games Melo missed we won 12 or 11 (not sure), in the last 2 games of the season Breen did mention we won above 10 without Melo. Stopping the ball and Ball-Hogging (to win the scoring title) throughout a season is not improving our team.

We were a 2nd seed team, and we are replacing 7 players from the 2nd seed team.
Did u see chemistry or gellin from the 8 remaining players???

CA7

Scoring Champ
I can say the things I say because I had "NBA Pass" during Iverson era with Melo in Denver, and during Chauncey Billups era with Melo in Denver.
Why do I consider that important .. Iverson, Billups, and Jason Kidd has an NBA career of improving their teammates style of talent. The three guards I mention had an above-average super-star backcourt tandem partner in "PG-Snow, SG-Hamiliton, and SG-Kittles", and each of the three super-backcourt tandems took their mediocre team to the FINALS .... by not having a demanding ball-hogging SF-franchise player who playoff career average is 38% to 40% FG shooting. LOL

different era

none of them had to deal with the teams Melo is dealing with

Also Chauncey had more than just Rip he had Sheed and Ben shutting the paint down and Tayshaun locking up the wings

Kidd has a good team but even his final appearances resulted in no rings

and how can you call Melo a ball hog then give Iverson props lmao

CA7

Scoring Champ
Did Melo up/down 38% to 44% fg shooting shut anyone up? NO!
Our 5-18 start Felton average 19/7
The 15 games Melo missed we won 12 or 11 (not sure), in the last 2 games of the season Breen did mention we won above 10 without Melo. Stopping the ball and Ball-Hogging (to win the scoring title) throughout a season is not improving our team.

We were a 2nd seed team, and we are replacing 7 players from the 2nd seed team.
Did u see chemistry or gellin from the 8 remaining players???

we were under .500 when Melo didn't play, I think 6-7

we started 18-5 no 5-18

the offense got stagnant when STAT came back also Melo's knee got injured and he wasn't moving the same

we're replacing 7 players

Kidd- Pablo and Beno are both more athletic and wont fall apart in April/May, his leadership isn't needed anymore
Camby- didn't play
Novak- Bargs is better
Copeland- sucks on D, Hardaway can be that extra scorer
Thomas- will be missed but he's gone

who are the other 2, Quentin Richardson and Earl Barron

our core is still together thats all that matters

and Melo was shooting 46% in the playoffs until he tore his labrum

knicksince 93

Rotation player

we started 18-5 no 5-18

the offense got stagnant when STAT came back also Melo's knee got injured and he wasn't moving the same

Kidd- Pablo and Beno are both more athletic and wont fall apart in April/May, his leadership isn't needed anymore
Camby- didn't play
Novak- Bargs is better

Checkmate..... p.s. our knicks better then that sixers team that got to that chip

bigapple

Starter

lowest IQ post of end of summer :peace:

bigapple

Starter

we started 18-5 no 5-18

Camby- didn't play
Novak- Bargs is better

STAT style is stagnat no success just empty pick n roll and dunk he is not doin anymore jump shots
he is mostly needed for put backs and quickes layups so STAT should b needed but not for 30-40 mns just "needed mins"
but he dont play D and will never play that why MELO need such player like now MWP

Pablo Beno is latino-europe style Spurs r using same style - Parker Ginobili Diaw
Camby was good in 90s Novak for garbage teams
Thomas allways would b needed but his age......
Copeland was playing to less time
Tim Jr cant tell nothing NBA is not NCAA
Q Rich is done
Barron played just few mins total in playoffs

Kiyaman

Legend
different era

none of them had to deal with the teams Melo is dealing with

Also Chauncey had more than just Rip he had Sheed and Ben shutting the paint down and Tayshaun locking up the wings

Kidd has a good team but even his final appearances resulted in no rings

and how can you call Melo a ball hog then give Iverson props lmao

The part u missed in my post, were Iverson, Billups, and Jason Kidd exceptional talent improve their teammates talent in a lineup to where their backcourt partners performance were star caliber (u do recall JJ Barea, Terry, and Kidd getting rings).
When a team plays exceptional well in the regular season to win above 50 games, thats all good.
Butt when a team makes it to the FINALS .. that mean the TEAM played on the Next-Level of NBA B,ball.

As for Iverson being considered a ball-hog .. when a player have Iverson's top notch speed, and the best cross-over u ever witness, plus average 6 to 8 assist per game on 47% FG shooting with 7 to 9 trips to the line from getting knocked in the stands on fastbreak baskets .. thats not Ball-Hogging, thats the new logo "The NBA is Exciting"...

knicksince 93

Rotation player
The part u missed in my post, were Iverson, Billups, and Jason Kidd exceptional talent improve their teammates talent in a lineup to where their backcourt partners performance were star caliber (u do recall JJ Barea, Terry, and Kidd getting rings).
When a team plays exceptional well in the regular season to win above 50 games, thats all good.
Butt when a team makes it to the FINALS .. that mean the TEAM played on the Next-Level of NBA B,ball.

As for Iverson being considered a ball-hog .. when a player have Iverson's top notch speed, and the best cross-over u ever witness, plus average 6 to 8 assist per game on 47% FG shooting with 7 to 9 trips to the line from getting knocked in the stands on fastbreak baskets .. thats not Ball-Hogging, thats the new logo "The NBA is Exciting"...

Steph had a career average of 20 and 8 until injuries but u called him a ball hog. You're arguments don't line up from player to player, u pick and choose who you like and go from there