Carmelo Anthony Discussion Thread - All Things Melo

jimkcchief88

All Star
STAT needs to sit on the END of the bench and shut the hell up real talk. 25% of your salary tied up in one player who can't play but 5 minutes a game should tell you all you need to know. But leave it to idiot KNICK fans:"let's blame the player that is on the FLOOR putting in work for 42 Minutes a game, not the guy on the BENCH making 20 million for 2 minutes a game."Maybe if STAT could play his weight like the MAX SALARY he is receiving instead of on the BENCH there would be no Iso-Melo. But since your one MAX player only runs his mouth not the floor, your other Star is forced into averaging 42 minutes a game and try to carry his home town squad all the while hometown "fans" are talking s***. And you wonder why Melo will test free-agency? When he leaves and the Knicks are back in the cellar for another decade don't say s*** people:(

how we can blame melo for this is beyond me. get real people.

the NBA got better.

there's budding superstars at every corner. its a different league than it was ten years ago.

I honestly believe if lebron was on this team we would be at best 7-6 right now.

we need to revamp our roster next year. get faster smarter and deeper because right now out of all top level teams we have the worst 2nd and 3rd options in the entire league.

having bargnani and Jr smith as our supporting cast is the flaw in our team not having melo as our first option.

the spurs have Duncan Parker kawahi. the heat well you know their names. the blazers lillard aldridge batun. Pacers George hibbert and hill. rockets clippers.

must I really go on?

we are sitting here going off about what's wrong with our team.

melo
woody
Jr
shump
Felton

lets get one thing straight here people

the answer to our problems is simple

we are not as good as the rest of the teams who have winning records in the NBA

the end.

Sent from my PantechP9070 using Tapatalk 2

jlfans

Rookie
There is an opinion from a fan of the Lakers, not mine.
"Title: I really need to know where this love of Carmelo Anthony is coming from."
"I'm scratching my head right now - How could you possibly want this guy? He's never played defense in his life, does very little to make plays for other teammates and dominates the ball/shot jacks. We have enough of this with Kobe. None of you should want him on this team. I'm trying to be nice here, but I honestly have to question anyone's basketball knowledge who rates him so highly/wants them on their team so badly."

http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=165458

nuckles2k2

Superstar
Our coach thinks, AND ALWAYS THOUGHT that it was a good idea to run your offense thru your best player, with no real offensive scheme.

If Melo has no purpose in each offensive possession, other than being the best player on the court, what do you think he's gonna do when the ball finally gets to him? If we ran set plays (like we did last year out of timeouts) the majority of our offensive possessions, then more people get to touch the ball, and won't be crying like a bitch.

But with Woody, we barely even run any sets, let alone set plays. It's pretty much, get the ball over the timeline, dribble dribble dribble, give the ball to Melo with 11 secs left on the shot clock, stand and watch.

I don't understand how grown ass people, presumably over the age of
twelve, wanna point the finger at anyone other than the individual who is responsible for the team's schematic structure.

It's Woodson.

metrocard

Legend
"Title: I really need to know where this love of Carmelo Anthony is coming from."
"I'm scratching my head right now - How could you possibly want this guy? He's never played defense in his life, does very little to make plays for other teammates and dominates the ball/shot jacks. We have enough of this with Kobe. None of you should want him on this team. I'm trying to be nice here, but I honestly have to question anyone's basketball knowledge who rates him so highly/wants them on their team so badly."

He's an idiot.
Melo's defense is average.
It's never been bad.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
He's an idiot.
Melo's defense is average.
It's never been bad.
Agreed, Melo's definitely a better defender than Amare or Bargs... but his defense can also get awfully bad. IMO Carmelo could be a really good defender and more of a team player, he has the tools to become that type of baller. But he's just too lazy. I mean, it took him almost three years with the Knicks to realize he's tall/physical enough to average 10 rpg. Melo could be 25/10/5 kind of player, but he doesn't have the work ethic and willingness to change his game. My point is, when we're losing I can see the frustration on faces of guys like Chandler, Amare, Shump... these guys are not as talented as Melo, but they care about this team. Melo's is that 9-5 kind of guy in the basketball world, go to work, do your ****, go home and don't give a flying **** about the guys you're working with.

NY17KNICKS

★Melo Mafia★
Dolan cripples the team with his decisions
Woodson cant run a team to save his life
Players cant shoot,defend or pass

Melo's fault.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
Melo's fault.
Oh yeah, sure, we're paying a superstar $20M, but we can't criticize the guy or expect more from him that for example from rookie Hardaway. LeBron can make 4 chairs look good on the court, Melo needs a top GM, top HC and and a high profile supporting cast to get out of the 1st round. I mean, if we're a .250 team with a superstar what dafuq do we need Melo for? I mean, we could play CJ Leslie out of D-League and still be a lottery team. Why pay a guy $20M if he doesn't make any difference? :lol:

bigapple

Starter
For me MELO make his own gameplay to tought all his shots are simply not only not proper but not easy

very rare under glass nothing from post too many ISO too much 3s

he is not even trying to drive or duncan shool glass shot

and for me MELO is simply disgusted that Knicks are slump and teammates suck and Lebron with Druant plays own game
so he is frustraded that why his shots are often terrible

so "if/when" Knicks can get better roster MELO also will be better we saw that last season when he was more happy than now.

Kiyaman

Legend

When it comes to Ballhoggers like Kobe & Melo .. outsiders looking in have the best opinions.

We never had any players that could defend Kobe other than Spree & Chris Childs .. So we let Allan Houston score 25 to 30 points to keep the score close all game. Did we let Houston score 30 points every game, hell to the NO! Ewing and others had to score and have big scoring games.

When we drafted Wilson Chandler the Denver Nuggets high scoring Carmelo Anthony was no longer a threat.
Carmelo's defense let Wilson Chandler get 30 point games. Hell, Melo's defense let Gallo have 30 point games, and Harrington too.

Kiyaman

Legend
For me MELO make his own gameplay to tought all his shots are simply not only not proper but not easy

very rare under glass nothing from post too many ISO too much 3s

he is not even trying to drive or duncan shool glass shot

and for me MELO is simply disgusted that Knicks are slump and teammates suck and Lebron with Druant plays own game
so he is frustraded that why his shots are often terrible

so "if/when" Knicks can get better roster MELO also will be better we saw that last season when he was more happy than now.

Melo been looking for a batman/Robin partner for 10 yrs, and the best he came up with is JR.smith.
Should we b worried.......

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Look, this team just isn't winning anything...we have to accept it. It sucks, but that's what it appears like right now.

Amar'e is terrible on defense and has always been bad on defense. The bad part is, right now, he sucks on offense as well. If he were throwing down 23 PPG and 8 RPG like he was during his first year then we could get away with his crap defense but it's just not going to happen. This team has NO flexibility. It has NO ability to sign any good players. It has NO draft picks in 2014, one of the most loaded drafts of all time. Literally the ONLY thing we can do is wait until Amar'e's contract runs out and then start over by drafting better and making sure our team doesn't suck.

We signed J.R. Smith to a three-year deal and then he went and got knee surgery. When we had some potential decent players in summer league we instead gave a roster spot to J.R.'s brother Chris who one GM called one of the worst players ever in the history of the NBA Summer League. Instead of paying for Jeremy Lin (we're the richest team in the NBA, we could have afforded it, plus we could've waived him and turned the luxury tax into a non-issue), we signed a guy who's known for being a chucker and bad defender, and now we're whining about our PG problems when Lin comes into MSG and throws down 21 points and is averaging 15.3 PPG on 50.3% shooting and 39% from three-point range on the season despite not being the primary ballhandler on his team. We are over the cap until 2015, we have no tradeable assets, we have no players that any team would want, and we are unable to do anything because we have Amar'e. Yeah, it sucks that Amar'e's gotten hurt so much and we all know how good his work ethic is, but he just sucks right now...he's 20 million dollars of dead weight.

Grunwald pulled a decent trade by bringing Bargnani over (and only losing Steve Novak who let's be honest is even more useless than Bargs) but the coaching staff is terrible, the offense is terrible, the defense is terrible, and the future outlook is terrible.

What's probably going to happen is Melo is going to bolt after the season and sign somewhere else, we're going to be stuck with a 20-win team in 2014, and hopefully, HOPEFULLY if we're lucky, there'll be a decent player somewhere in the 2015 NBA Draft that we can pick. Alternatively, we can try and build a superteam like Miami but I don't think that's happening since we suck so much.

And honestly, I don't think this is Melo's fault at all. We knew what kind of player Melo was when we got him - he's always been iso-heavy and big on getting his mid-range shots and that's a good type of player to have, just look at Kobe's 5 rings. What we need are reliable options around him. Melo right now has none, so he basically has no choice but to iso the entire game and hope his shots go on. Unless you'd rather give Raymond Felton the ball? Or better yet, see if JR Smith can shoot better than 30%?

When your second option is a guy known more for being an excellent bench player and idiot than actually winning games, that's a problem. JR Smith is not a good second option, yet we're stuck with him because we have no flexibility.

You know our team is already looking towards signing Kevin Love, so...yeah...**** my life.

Last edited:

Red

TYPE-A
I can't blame the players anymore.
This goes to the man who formed this team together.
If he believed this team would be a championship calibered, he's not very good at what he does and is poor at researching these players.

You can't expect anything from Amare, JR, Felton, Barg, etc etc etc.

They were never meant to be championship caliber players.

Matt Bonner and Marco Belinelli provide more for a championship team.
Why?
They make the extra pass.
They defend.
They hit open shots.

That's all you need to do.

Knicks play complicated basketball.

Force feeding the ball to Melo and Amare, making the offense predictable.

We'll never win like that.

54 wins last season, that's great. Theres a lot of gimmick teams that win 50 games in the regular season but get exposed in the playoffs, we're one of them.

This team isn't even worth investing on.
Until this roster is blown up, you should expect bad basketball and don't act surprised when you do.

We have a bad front office and no hope for the future.

We owe

- 2014 first round draft pick to Denver
- 2014 second round draft pick to Houston
- 2015 second round draft pick to Houston
- 2016 first round draft pick to Denver or Toronto
- 2016 second round draft pick to Sacramento, protected for selections 31-37
- 2017 second round draft pick to Toronto

The New York Knicks, been aiding and improving NBA franchises since 2002.

Need a future draft pick to a player that can impact your franchise in a playoff contender?
Contact NY, not only they will provide you a future first, but they'll take away your most cancerous player with the most cap unfriendly contract that extends anywhere from 3-4 years. Kill two birds with one stone and be a step away from greatness.

This won't stop.
It hasn't stopped in the Isaiah era and it's still happening today.
Anyone who thinks changes will be coming before 2020 is fooled.
Have fun with the worst organization in basketball.

AKA The Verdict is in.

You put it so eloquently.

The fish rots from the head down. We need a complete overhaul and it starts with a coach with a solid fundamental philosophy.

kiya did u really just compare melos supporting cast to that 1995 Knicks team w Larry Johnson Ewing and Houston. haha. dude. stop.

bigapple

Starter
Look, this team just isn't winning anything...we have to accept it. It sucks, but that's what it appears like right now.

Amar'e is terrible on defense and has always been bad on defense. The bad part is, right now, he sucks on offense as well. If he were throwing down 23 PPG and 8 RPG like he was during his first year then we could get away with his crap defense but it's just not going to happen. This team has NO flexibility. It has NO ability to sign any good players. It has NO draft picks in 2014, one of the most loaded drafts of all time. Literally the ONLY thing we can do is wait until Amar'e's contract runs out and then start over by drafting better and making sure our team doesn't suck.

We signed J.R. Smith to a three-year deal and then he went and got knee surgery. When we had some potential decent players in summer league we instead gave a roster spot to J.R.'s brother Chris who one GM called one of the worst players ever in the history of the NBA Summer League. Instead of paying for Jeremy Lin (we're the richest team in the NBA, we could have afforded it, plus we could've waived him and turned the luxury tax into a non-issue), we signed a guy who's known for being a chucker and bad defender, and now we're whining about our PG problems when Lin comes into MSG and throws down 21 points and is averaging 15.3 PPG on 50.3% shooting and 39% from three-point range on the season despite not being the primary ballhandler on his team. We are over the cap until 2015, we have no tradeable assets, we have no players that any team would want, and we are unable to do anything because we have Amar'e. Yeah, it sucks that Amar'e's gotten hurt so much and we all know how good his work ethic is, but he just sucks right now...he's 20 million dollars of dead weight.

Grunwald pulled a decent trade by bringing Bargnani over (and only losing Steve Novak who let's be honest is even more useless than Bargs) but the coaching staff is terrible, the offense is terrible, the defense is terrible, and the future outlook is terrible.

What's probably going to happen is Melo is going to bolt after the season and sign somewhere else, we're going to be stuck with a 20-win team in 2014, and hopefully, HOPEFULLY if we're lucky, there'll be a decent player somewhere in the 2015 NBA Draft that we can pick. Alternatively, we can try and build a superteam like Miami but I don't think that's happening since we suck so much.

And honestly, I don't think this is Melo's fault at all. We knew what kind of player Melo was when we got him - he's always been iso-heavy and big on getting his mid-range shots and that's a good type of player to have, just look at Kobe's 5 rings. What we need are reliable options around him. Melo right now has none, so he basically has no choice but to iso the entire game and hope his shots go on. Unless you'd rather give Raymond Felton the ball? Or better yet, see if JR Smith can shoot better than 30%?

When your second option is a guy known more for being an excellent bench player and idiot than actually winning games, that's a problem. JR Smith is not a good second option, yet we're stuck with him because we have no flexibility.

You know our team is already looking towards signing Kevin Love, so...yeah...**** my life.

mainly bcoz STAT 0 IQ on D teams are using that so Knicks r loosing

but Woodson knowns better STAT demanded more minutes its +-25 so each game or games which he will be playing there will no nothing no chemistry only disruption

dont wana comment JR he is worst Knick now.

Kiyaman

Legend
kiya did u really just compare melos supporting cast to that 1995 Knicks team w Larry Johnson Ewing and Houston. haha. dude. stop.

Nah, wasnt comparing just making a point, the Knicks had several players that could score 30 points on any given night when we had Allan Houston in the rotation .. Childs, Starks, Mason, Spree, Ewing. We never let one player shoot 20 shots in every game consecutively season, after season like Carmelo Anthony & Marbury.
$100M Allan Houston stop playing when we added Marbury .. $100M Amare Stoudemire stop playing when we added Melo.
I believe our 1995 Knicks roster had Anthony Mason, Oakley, and missing layups Charles.
Larry Jhonson (aka Grama) equal Mcdyess as a Knicks .. u can count on one hand how many games "Grama" played in his era as a Knicks.

Does the 2013-14 Knicks have a .500 record roster? Hell Yeah!
Should Amare be gettin more than the 14 minutes per game? Hell Yeah!
Should K-Mart be gettin more than 19 min per? Hell Yeah!
Should Meta be gettin more than 17 min per? Hell Yeah!
Should Prig be gettin more than 14 min per? Hell Yeah!
Should Beno be gettin more than 13 min per? Hell Yeah!

Should Melo be gettin above 30 minutes per game? HELL NO! ISO-Melo is a BALLHOGGER!
And BALL-HOGGERS get less than 30 minute per...

Kiyaman

Legend
mainly bcoz STAT 0 IQ on D teams are using that so Knicks r loosing

but Woodson knowns better STAT demanded more minutes its +-25 so each game or games which he will be playing there will no nothing no chemistry only disruption dont wana comment JR he is worst Knick now.

Woodson is not treating players equally, or given players a lineup to GELL with in the 14 games played.
Prig & Beno cant work well with JR dribble-dribble shoot, or bo-guardin the point with Melo.
The easiest PG play to learn is a pick n role with Stat, or a ball-movement catching Stat slashing or on the backdoor.
The Prig & Copeland pick n role lastseason supose to be the Prig & Stat pick n role this season.
It only took 2 weeks for Felton & Stat to practice the pick n role well in 2010, but u rarely seen Woodson put Felton & Stat on the court together the past 2 seasons.
And the few times we seen Felton & Stat on the court in 2 yrs, we always seen Melo & JR taking control over the offensive-point.

P.S. I recall the first time when Melo & JR took over the offensive-point manning the ball .... poor poor Jeremy Lin didnt have a chance in keeping the winning flow he had going with teammates.

bigapple

Starter
Lin wasnt dribbling like Felton he was shooting or driving so when i heard that Knicks wont match 25mln i was disgrusted

now we see what means no Kidd.

Stat pick and role can easy be ended with steal just like Paul does it

but STAT D irritates me he is just looking and he personaly said "we dont know who to guard"

But MELO can shoot a bit more from POST he is not doin that completely

mostly his shots are fedaways like MJ/Bryant
he limited his 3s and JR 3s are covered thats why he is missing but his current scoring % is now 32%

even when Knicks have fastbreak MELO is shooting 3s when elite teams like OKC SPURS HEAT PACERS are simply doin dunk/layup

Paul1355

All Star
At this rate I wouldn't blame Melo for leaving. Our team stinks...he has no one even close to his caliber to play with. Losing in NY is not fun at all. The coach is losing the team and is becoming a stubborn loyal coach to the wrong players (similar to Mike D). Melo has done everything he can at this point. We have no solid play or consistency from the guards. He can go to a handful of other teams and prob do better.