Carmelo Anthony Discussion Thread - All Things Melo

metrocard

Legend
I never supported the Melo trade, I respect Melo's talent and skill level and believe he can be a huge asset on a team that's built to contend. I never supported the Melo trade because it was going to destroy this franchise's future security with cap space and draft picks.

You say all Melo had to do was be better than Paul George, but why can't you account the fact Knicks weren't even a 100% healthy team in the playoffs? Pacers had all their major players from the 2012-2013 season.

In fact, in Game 2 Melo had 32 points 3 assist no turnovers on 50% FG shooting, where George had 20 points on 7 turnovers and 1 assist. Knicks scored 102 points, Pacers scored
In Game 5, Melo out played George, but that's not the point.

If you watched the series, refs favored Indiana by awarding them to the free throw line in every game, some were earned, others weren't. The reffing was too inconsistent to take this series seriously.

Indiana's FTA in each game

1. 26
2. 25 (5 less than the Knicks, but Knicks still won 105-79)
3. 23
4. 30 (Knicks had 14)
5. 33 (Knicks had 17 but still won)
6. 46 (Knicks had 18, shot 100% from FT)

Man, do you even remember Game 6?

You obviously missed out on a lot of things.

No god damn man is going to beat a team who gets 46 free throw attempts. Get out of here with that nonsense.

You're pretty strange for focusing the talent surrounding Melo and George but totally unaware of how the game went. Is this your only copout to justifying some mindless Melo critique?

The Knicks got screwed to hell in that series, it was unbearable to watch.

And the best thing you can come up with is build around Tim Hardaway Jr. and hope Jeremy Tyler can have one good NBA game after failing to make a role in the NBA for 2 straight seasons?

Look, I'm all for trading Melo. We need to move on and get as much value as we can for Melo RIGHT NOW before we let him go for nothing and we'll be ultimately screwed until 2018.

But you're doing it all around. Hardaway at best is a back up SG.

Tyson Chandler will not be a leader when he can't even lead his health, his body is fragile and his mileage have extended the NBA limit. Being a pro since he was 17 he's taken a lot of wear and tear on his body. To expect him to be the leader of the franchise until 2018 when he can't even represent himself on the court without getting hurt is just a false promise to yourself. Chandler has 2-3 seasons left in him at best.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Yeah JR is playing WAY too much.

I knew this team was ****ed when the idea was to have JR Smith, a career bench scorer known for being an "all or nothing" shooter, as the second option on our team. I knew we were ****ed in the ass with a spiked dildo when JR got surgery like 3 days after he signed a new contract.

I mean the guy partied through the playoffs, played like **** against Indiana, gets injured and requires surgery, and our idea is to give him money? We should've let him walk, IMO.

skisloper

Starter
Yeah JR is playing WAY too much.

I knew this team was ****ed when the idea was to have JR Smith, a career bench scorer known for being an "all or nothing" shooter, as the second option on our team. I knew we were ****ed in the ass with a spiked dildo when JR got surgery like 3 days after he signed a new contract.

I mean the guy partied through the playoffs, played like **** against Indiana, gets injured and requires surgery, and our idea is to give him money? We should've let him walk, IMO.

and elbows terry and gets suspended for drugs......and BEST OF ALL.......despite the claims of those on this forum that we got JR cheaP.....JR WAS NOT OFFERED A SINGLE CONTRACT FROM ANY OTHER NBA TEAM

skisloper

Starter
and elbows terry and gets suspended for drugs......and best of all.......despite the claims of those on this forum that we got jr cheap.....jr was not offered a single contract from any other nba team

then woody takes chris smith........what does jr have on woody.....

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
The guy is a team cancer plain and simple...he's just not that good.

Between the money we're giving J.R. and Felton we could've offered Jeremy Lin a 4 year 24 million dollar deal. Yeah, I'm STILL butthurt about that cause he was the decent PG we finally had and we let him walk for nothing.

Now if we had the chance to trade JR and Felton for Lin we'd do it in a heartbeat but Houston would be retarded to accept that deal, that's an Isiah move

mafra

Legend
First of all, I didn't mean to come across as attacking your perspective, or evaluation, of the 'Melo situation since he's arrived. The point I was trying to make, is that Carmelo forfeited the right to use any excuse the moment he forced the hand of Dolan-Walsh.
The bad taste that was left in everybody's mouth, because of the manner of events that preceded his arrival, meant that Anthony’s stint in NY had 2 potential outcomes: Utter failure or a legitimate success. There was no in-between. Carmelo said so himself. He felt confident that he was so good, that the roster didn’t really matter. The organization would find a way, and Carmelo would do the rest. Either he proves his doubters wrong, carries his team on his back… Or he proves them right, and his legacy is sealed.
And, don’t disregard the irony, that a 7-foot German did just what ‘Melo was supposed to do… Carry a team on his back and slay the dragon… Immediately after Melo forced the issue.
Getting swept TWICE in the playoffs… 0-8… was forgiven b/c of injuries and the state of affairs with this team and organization. But, all along, this was a 3-5 year plan. Win a title or bust. Even so, I think an Eastern Conf. Finals battle with MIA (6 or 7 game series)... would qualify as a success. Even if we never reached the NBA Finals… had we elevated ourselves to the point where Indiana has been the last 2 seasons, had we battled The Heat twice in two classic Eastern Conf Finals… Melo would have vindicated himself.
NOW, let’s turn our attention to Game 6: Maybe I jumped the gun by saying this was a showdown between Melo and George. Or that we were on equal ground, in terms of the surrounding cast. Still, this was the position Melo happily put himself in, and all along told everyone who would liste to simply trust him.
Carmelo Anthony was great for the first 3 quarters of Game 6. But, unfortunately, in the NBA they play 4 quarters. What happened in the 4[SUP]th[/SUP] quarter? DO you remember? I do, b/c I actually watched the game. Melo entered the game with just under 10 to play. Knicks were up 87-84. From there, Melo had a dunk blocked (changed momomentum), had a shot blocked, threw 2 bad passes that led to turnovers, was called for a charge, and was 0-3 on jumpers… That accounted for 8 lost possessions from the 9:40 mark to the 2:14 mark, when Carmelo finally scored his first points of the 4[SUP]th[/SUP] Q, by then Indy had buil an insurmountable 7 point lead.
I absolutely agree that Melo was robbed. That they called DOUBLE the fouls on us… They invented a new term to justify this robbery… Verticality… Even so, While Carmelo was0-5 on shots with 3 turnovers, George his 2 of his first 3 shots during this stretch, grabbed some rebounds, defended Melo… stile the ball from him…
Melo failed to RISE UP and steal the victory. He proved to be NOT GOOD ENOUGH. He couldn’t pull off a Dirk, score 10 points down the stretch… Refs didn’t prevent Melo from missing 3 jumpers and throwing two bad passes.
I was wrong. I never felt Walsh should have given up the house and farm to get Melo here. But I imagine our idiot owner forced the issue, so what was Walsh supposed to do. DEN realized they were dealing with idiots, so the held out and called our bluff. I relented, and felt (even though we bid against ourselves) that we couldn’t sit idly and let Melo go to BKN. And, you cannot turn down a chance to get Melo b/c of The Moz, or a draft pick.

But, as soon as Melo demanded the deal then, everything was on his shoulders. He gets the money and accolades, he would bear the burden for losing. Had he wwaited until free agency, I would take a totally different stance.

I’m sorry… When Melo arrived, I expected more in that 4[SUP]th[/SUP] quarter. I realize why didn’t lose b/c of Melo. But he forced the issue to get here, he ran Lin out of town, he talked a big game. When our backs were against the wall, and with the season in peril…. Knicks had a 3-point lead with 9 to go… Melo then played terribly and we went home.

So, what do we do? Give him the max to keep him? Wait one more season, then hope a K-Love comes here and shoot for 2015? OK. But we run the risk of Melo leaving us and we get nothing. But, we do have a pick in 2015, so if we stink… we might still have a shot to get Parker (if he stays another year) or Okafor. SO, that probably is better than dealing Melo for a young player and the 20[SUP]th[/SUP] pick this year.

Other than that, our only prayer to find a gem is for Tyler to be a player, for Hardaway to blossom… Otherwise, what are the options? As it turned out, those of you who said trading for Melo was wrong, well... you have been proven right. Sure, we probably would have stunk the last seasons anyway, and we probably still draft the wrong guys... But maybe we would've seen the light start to shine at the end of the tunnel. Tough call. At least we got 50 wins and a playoff series victory last year. BUt the draft pick this season is probably enough to say the Melo trade was a disaster, on par with dealing Ewing.

Broadway

All Star
That's a myth.

Melo's never had an opportunity ever since he was traded to New York.
He was traded to a bad team that overachieved and was a gimmick team in the regular season. Steve Novak was an actual impact role player, where is he now? It was all smoke n mirrors and 100% gimmicking their way to victories.

No NBA player can have an opportunity with this roster, take that out of your head.
Putting on this Melo is very simpleminded.

I know this is the typical Melo Lobbyist Apologist templated response but we're referring to his "clutch gene"?.you're trying to divert and tunnel a different exit which only leads you to another dead end.

Fact?Melo has had plenty of opportunity to effect the outcome of games in the closing moments but he's failed miserably making the rest of his concubines miserable in the process.

As far as not having help, well this book has already been published in Denver 2 volumes at least. So we know how the ending goes. What can't be ignored is the fact Melo had an opportunity to change that outcome too but getting his paper was priority 1 much like it will be this off-season.

Stop allowing your heart to get the best of you

clumsy

Rotation player
In a weird way the Fact that Melo can't lead by himself may help our cap situation. If he really wants to stay in NY we should offer him a reduced non max kind of deal, like a 12 or 13 mil dollar a year contract. For one i don't think any other team in the league will offer him the max as it's now proven he's not a #1 and cannot affect a team by himself. If we give him a max, we're probably just stupidly competing with ourselves (because i don't see how he fits in with Kobe, both are too selfish, unless the Lakers do Kobe dirty).

metrocard

Legend
Melo lead the NBA in scoring last season...he's been a 25ppg + scorer for almost a decade. Name me 10 guys right now who are better PROVEN #1 options.

People act like Melo was never proven because he's shooting 42% this season, even besides that he's still 2nd in the NBA in scoring with a messed up shoulder, bias refs and a crappy set of point guards to pass the ball to Melo.

Yea, he's taking 22 shot attempts per game, but LeBron and Durant would take 22-25 per game as well if they had to play with the Knicks roster, Durant and LeBron are better scorers....but to say Melo isn't a worthy #1 option is crazy.

To admit Melo isn't a #1 option, you have to accept the fact they are 20-30 scorers out there who are #1 options.

Pau Gasol is a #1 option for LA...he's averaging 14 ppg on 14 shot attempts...they're a .500 team right now.

I really hate when people call players unselfish on horrible rosters.

metrocard

Legend
I know this is the typical Melo Lobbyist Apologist templated response but we're referring to his "clutch gene"….you're trying to divert and tunnel a different exit which only leads you to another dead end.

Fact…Melo has had plenty of opportunity to effect the outcome of games in the closing moments but he's failed miserably making the rest of his concubines miserable in the process.

As far as not having help, well this book has already been published in Denver 2 volumes at least. So we know how the ending goes. What can't be ignored is the fact Melo had an opportunity to change that outcome too but getting his paper was priority 1 much like it will be this off-season.

Stop allowing your heart to get the best of you

Why is this a surprise, there is no one else on the Knicks to even make the defense pretend that the ball may go somewhere else, and he is playing more minutes and carrying more of the load than he ever has?
Stop thinking so simple, it's destroying this argument.

Before last yeart Melo was the most clutch player in nba by far and it wasn't just a myth like some players. Stats don't lie don't lie right? So which one is it?

It's getting to the point you're going to get tired of jerking off to Melo's failure and will find a new fetish elsewhere.

Last edited:

metrocard

Legend
The bad taste that was left in everybody's mouth, because of the manner of events that preceded his arrival, meant that Anthony?s stint in NY had 2 potential outcomes: Utter failure or a legitimate success. There was no in-between. Carmelo said so himself. He felt confident that he was so good, that the roster didn?t really matter. The organization would find a way, and Carmelo would do the rest. Either he proves his doubters wrong, carries his team on his back? Or he proves them right, and his legacy is sealed.
And, don?t disregard the irony, that a 7-foot German did just what ?Melo was supposed to do? Carry a team on his back and slay the dragon? Immediately after Melo forced the issue.
Getting swept TWICE in the playoffs? 0-8? was forgiven b/c of injuries and the state of affairs with this team and organization. But, all along, this was a 3-5 year plan. Win a title or bust. Even so, I think an Eastern Conf. Finals battle with MIA (6 or 7 game series)... would qualify as a success. Even if we never reached the NBA Finals? had we elevated ourselves to the point where Indiana has been the last 2 seasons, had we battled The Heat twice in two classic Eastern Conf Finals? Melo would have vindicated himself.
NOW, let?s turn our attention to Game 6: Maybe I jumped the gun by saying this was a showdown between Melo and George. Or that we were on equal ground, in terms of the surrounding cast. Still, this was the position Melo happily put himself in, and all along told everyone who would liste to simply trust him.
Carmelo Anthony was great for the first 3 quarters of Game 6. But, unfortunately, in the NBA they play 4 quarters. What happened in the 4[SUP]th[/SUP] quarter? DO you remember? I do, b/c I actually watched the game. Melo entered the game with just under 10 to play. Knicks were up 87-84. From there, Melo had a dunk blocked (changed momomentum), had a shot blocked, threw 2 bad passes that led to turnovers, was called for a charge, and was 0-3 on jumpers? That accounted for 8 lost possessions from the 9:40 mark to the 2:14 mark, when Carmelo finally scored his first points of the 4[SUP]th[/SUP] Q, by then Indy had buil an insurmountable 7 point lead.
I absolutely agree that Melo was robbed. That they called DOUBLE the fouls on us? They invented a new term to justify this robbery? Verticality? Even so, While Carmelo was0-5 on shots with 3 turnovers, George his 2 of his first 3 shots during this stretch, grabbed some rebounds, defended Melo? stile the ball from him?
Melo failed to RISE UP and steal the victory. He proved to be NOT GOOD ENOUGH. He couldn?t pull off a Dirk, score 10 points down the stretch? Refs didn?t prevent Melo from missing 3 jumpers and throwing two bad passes.
I was wrong. I never felt Walsh should have given up the house and farm to get Melo here. But I imagine our idiot owner forced the issue, so what was Walsh supposed to do. DEN realized they were dealing with idiots, so the held out and called our bluff. I relented, and felt (even though we bid against ourselves) that we couldn?t sit idly and let Melo go to BKN. And, you cannot turn down a chance to get Melo b/c of The Moz, or a draft pick.

But, as soon as Melo demanded the deal then, everything was on his shoulders. He gets the money and accolades, he would bear the burden for losing. Had he wwaited until free agency, I would take a totally different stance.

I?m sorry? When Melo arrived, I expected more in that 4[SUP]th[/SUP] quarter. I realize why didn?t lose b/c of Melo. But he forced the issue to get here, he ran Lin out of town, he talked a big game. When our backs were against the wall, and with the season in peril?. Knicks had a 3-point lead with 9 to go? Melo then played terribly and we went home.

So, what do we do? Give him the max to keep him? Wait one more season, then hope a K-Love comes here and shoot for 2015? OK. But we run the risk of Melo leaving us and we get nothing. But, we do have a pick in 2015, so if we stink? we might still have a shot to get Parker (if he stays another year) or Okafor. SO, that probably is better than dealing Melo for a young player and the 20[SUP]th[/SUP] pick this year.

Other than that, our only prayer to find a gem is for Tyler to be a player, for Hardaway to blossom? Otherwise, what are the options? As it turned out, those of you who said trading for Melo was wrong, well... you have been proven right. Sure, we probably would have stunk the last seasons anyway, and we probably still draft the wrong guys... But maybe we would've seen the light start to shine at the end of the tunnel. Tough call. At least we got 50 wins and a playoff series victory last year. BUt the draft pick this season is probably enough to say the Melo trade was a disaster, on par with dealing Ewing.

I don't think Melo needs an excuse.
It's the GM responsibility to secure the Knicks team with an answer to every problem we have.
We had an interior defense weakness as well as ball movement issue with the team.

We kept Raymond Felton and tried to give Amare a chance back on this team, totally ignoring our two major weaknesses.
The organization never found a way to put a contending roster on the floor for Melo to play with.

Last season we signed about 4 injury prone guys who were going to retire in 9 months in Kidd, Camby, Kurt Thomas and Rasheed Wallace...we signed another one in Kenyon Martin who's really deteriorating right before our eyes because his health is affecting his play.

Without question, all of these men impacted the Knicks in a positive way but the unfortunate part is that they were limited in durability and were unable to be consistent with their impact.

That left Melo off with the likes of JR Smith, Felton, Stoudemire and Novak...the total opposite of what Kidd, Wallace, Camby, Thomas and Martin brought to the table.

JR and Novak had breakout years under Woodson but we know it was a gimmick game.

Dirk Nowitzki had one of the best assembled teams you can ask for to win a championship and you have to be a fool to believe Melo wouldn't have be able to win a championship with a this roster

PG - Kidd (Floor General with great defense and spot up 3pt shooting)
SG - Terry (Sharpshooter)
SF - Anthony
PF - Marion (A level defender, rebounder intangibles guy)
C - Chandler (A level defender rebounder, in his prime)

JJ Barea (was the best player off the bench in the NBA playoffs in 2011)
Haywood (A level interior defender)
Stevenson (great defender)
Peja Stojakovic (great shooter)
Corey Brewer (great defender)

Not only Melo would of won a championship with that roster, he would of probably won two.
Double team Melo? Kidd, Terry, Peja and Barea will be wide open for 3. Melo needs help on defense? Long Brewer and Tough Stevenson will come to help to lock down on a double team.
Rick Charsile is a legit coach.

Theres no question that Melo wins a championship for FREE under that roster.

It's just foolish to think Dirk did everything by himself.
He had an amazing scoring performance and made impossible shots, but that's what Melo does as well.

No need to talk about game 6 or even the Indiana series itself. The refs screwed us over and Felton/Smith didn't show up. Anyone who expects the Knicks to win a series with a non-productive backcourt and a Tyson Chandler who was getting anally plugged by Roy Hibbert is just being silly. Knicks had no shot in that series from game 1.

Stop treating Melo like he's Michael Jordan and start treating him like he's Melo. Michael Jordan is the only player who could of changed the flow of that series, no one else. Get over it, Knicks got screwed and will be screwed because the NBA in itself is a flawed league.

If Love comes to NY, we'll treat him the same we treated Melo. Acting like he's Jordan and he has to bring a title to New York.

when will Knick fans understand you must build a foundation of success before you even consider a title?

That starts within the front office, the owner the people inside. Anything that happens on the court is irrelevant at this point.

The Knicks live within a losing culture and nothing will change until those at the top are removed.

groundpilot

Benchwarmer
Based on Melos performance this year, he does not deserve max contract. If anyone thinks otherwise, is delusional. Maybe he was a go to guy before, but i have not seen him make an impact on a game when it counts in a long while.
He is simply a streaky shooter who chokes at the end of the game even if he had a good game that day.
I would justify taking so may shots per game if he was a high percentage shooter, but he is only shooting 42%.
That means he misses a lot and when you dont have good rebounding team, you lose ball posession.
Honestly, i would not even offer him a reduced non max kind of a deal, because of his track record.
Max players are the difference makers and he is not obviously.
Someone said that he is playing with dog ****s. Maybe its true. But if he is so good, his team should not be the second worst team in the league. Period.

metrocard

Legend
Based on Melos performance this year, he does not deserve max contract. If anyone thinks otherwise, is delusional. Maybe he was a go to guy before, but i have not seen him make an impact on a game when it counts in a long while.
He is simply a streaky shooter who chokes at the end of the game even if he had a good game that day.
I would justify taking so may shots per game if he was a high percentage shooter, but he is only shooting 42%.
That means he misses a lot and when you dont have good rebounding team, you lose ball posession.
Honestly, i would not even offer him a reduced non max kind of a deal, because of his track record.
Max players are the difference makers and he is not obviously.
Someone said that he is playing with dog ****s. Maybe its true. But if he is so good, his team should not be the second worst team in the league. Period.

It's been 16 games into the season and you're already giving out assessments on his contract?

Relax, theres about almost 70 games left in the season.

You're being too emotional over Melo and letting it get to your head.

Melo is a max player whether you like it or not, if you think Melo is going to take DeAndre Jordan money then you have to be delusional and crazy all at once. Keep dreaming, this is the NBA. Guys like Melo will always touch the max salary.

Melo is averaging
26.3 ppg
9.9 rpg
2.5 apg
1.1 spg
0.7 bpg
getting to the free throw line 8 times a game.

and this is him "slumping"

What happens when he catches fire and his FG goes back to 46-47%, he becomes a max player again? What is your logic? it seems flawed.

groundpilot

Benchwarmer
It's been 16 games into the season and you're already giving out assessments on his contract?

Relax, theres about almost 70 games left in the season.

You're being too emotional over Melo and letting it get to your head.

Melo is a max player whether you like it or not, if you think Melo is going to take DeAndre Jordan money then you have to be delusional and crazy all at once. Keep dreaming, this is the NBA. Guys like Melo will always touch the max salary.

Melo is averaging
26.3 ppg
9.9 rpg
2.5 apg
1.1 spg
0.7 bpg
getting to the free throw line 8 times a game.

and this is him "slumping"

What happens when he catches fire and his FG goes back to 46-47%, he becomes a max player again? What is your logic? it seems flawed.

I think you need to relax. When you become so defensive, that means one thing- there is a problem in your camp.
And the answer to your question if he catches the fire is no, he will not qualify for the max player.
That does not mean that he wont get it though.
Keep dreeming about him catching fire. This is a team sport and he doesnt understand the team concept.
It seems to me that his fans dont understand it either.

metrocard

Legend
So a player who averages 26-27 ppg on 46-47%FG with 9 rebounds 2.5 apg, 1.1 spg 0.7 bpg isn't a max player?

Okay, I got it. I see how your brain works.

groundpilot

Benchwarmer
Individual acivements are great in idividual sports. Go read about team concept. Maybe your will brain allow you to get it.

metrocard

Legend
Individual acivements are great in idividual sports. Go read about team concept. Maybe your will brain allow you to get it.

Melo is getting the max. Nothing less. Whether you think he deserves it or not.
Before you cry about team concept, understand what team we have now and theres no way this team can play together.

Melo has been playing on playoff rosters for most of his career.
He's not Sharif Abdul Rahim, Melo can play with guys and be a good teammate, that's not the discussion.

But when you say Melo isn't a max player because the state of the roster then you just look like an a s s.

Melo is getting a max contract just based on the fact he's not even 30 and is a top 10-15 NBA player.

groundpilot

Benchwarmer
Hey man, i have no interest to argue with you about that selfish title scoring chaser. And i dont give a **** whether he gets his max money or not. I am just stating my opinion, thats all.
Oh yeah, BTW, more you defend that mf, more you look like an aas yourself.

metrocard

Legend
Resigning JR Smith and Drafting Tim Hardaway Jr. shows you how serious this franchise is about being competitive.