Carmelo Anthony Discussion Thread - All Things Melo

groundpilot

Benchwarmer
I was watching the show "first take" this morning and StevenASmith said that he is hearing that Melo is done. He does not want to play in New York any more. He also added that he should be traded at february deadline.
I dont like StevenA, but he is well informed and is usually right.
Any thoughts?

tiger0330

Legend
I was watching the show "first take" this morning and StevenASmith said that he is hearing that Melo is done. He does not want to play in New York any more. He also added that he should be traded at february deadline.
I dont like StevenA, but he is well informed and is usually right.
Any thoughts?
SAS said the same thing on ESPN radio yesterday. He's just putting 2+2 together. Melo saying he wants to test FA and that the Knicks are a mess equal Melo doesn't want to be in NY. I don't think anyone really knows including Melo but the Knicks need to make a proactive business decision with him. Is he the guy you build a team around given the checkered record the Knicks have had while he's been a Knick. My feeling is no esp for that kind of money and at his age, trade him and get some picks and value for him while the Knicks can.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
Your comment is deeper than Jerry Springers final thought.
Dude, if SAS is a well informed NBA analyst than Isola is a legit Knicks beatwriter. Every single time SAS comes with some Knicks related insider info I'm scratching my head thinking "didn't we discuss it on RealGM just a couple of days ago?".

Oldtimer

Rotation player
As one might expect, the Melo trade situation can get complicated. Even if Melo fully intends to stay with the Knicks, it makes sense for him to opt-out of the final year of his current contract. He should insure against career ending injury. If Melo does opt-out, he will have been with the Knicks for less than four years. Thus under Article XXIV of the CBA, a new contract with the Knicks cannot include a no-trade provision. It can, however, include a trade bonus provision of up to 15% of the remaining value of the contract at the time of any trade. Melo can re-up with the Knicks for 5 years at a total of about $130M for the five years. With such a provision, Melo would be effectively un-tradable without his permission at least for the first few years of his contract. If Melo leaves as a free agent after the opt out, another team could give him a four year contract for a total of about $96M. Even if Melo opts-out, we will remain over the cap for next year. With him, either under his current contract or any new contract, we will be over $90M in committed salaries for next year. Melo is not easily tradable before the deadline because there are a precious few teams that can absorb his contract without dealing highly paid talent. Teams not in LA are hardly likely to "rent' Melo for the remainder of this year because of his opt-out. In short, it is not going to be easy to trade Melo. But if we do not, we are either going to overpay going forward or lose him entirely.

Red

TYPE-A
As one might expect, the Melo trade situation can get complicated. Even if Melo fully intends to stay with the Knicks, it makes sense for him to opt-out of the final year of his current contract. He should insure against career ending injury. If Melo does opt-out, he will have been with the Knicks for less than four years. Thus under Article XXIV of the CBA, a new contract with the Knicks cannot include a no-trade provision. It can, however, include a trade bonus provision of up to 15% of the remaining value of the contract at the time of any trade. Melo can re-up with the Knicks for 5 years at a total of about $130M for the five years. With such a provision, Melo would be effectively un-tradable without his permission at least for the first few years of his contract. If Melo leaves as a free agent after the opt out, another team could give him a four year contract for a total of about $96M. Even if Melo opts-out, we will remain over the cap for next year. With him, either under his current contract or any new contract, we will be over $90M in committed salaries for next year. Melo is not easily tradable before the deadline because there are a precious few teams that can absorb his contract without dealing highly paid talent. Teams not in LA are hardly likely to "rent' Melo for the remainder of this year because of his opt-out. In short, it is not going to be easy to trade Melo. But if we do not, we are either going to overpay going forward or lose him entirely.

Love your breadth of knowledge but...

May I remind you that the whole getting a superstar here like Melo only works with the type of special coach that can reel him in, fine tune his talents, and use him correctly as to not have him play selfishly but within the team concept.

Basically take the good talent and mold it into something great.

Woodson has proven he cant. As a matter of priority we MUST find a coach that can do this 1st. This coach must be unquestionable and have a solid gameplan to implement.
without this Melo is just another expensive volume shooter.

skisloper

Starter

Metro this is where you get the 28-30 million per year when Melo is 34/35

groundpilot

Benchwarmer
Oldtimer, thanks for clarification. Yeah, thats what SAS was saying, we cant afford to lose Melo for nothing.
Not only this trade situation is complicated, Melo himself is a complicated player, as if we resign him, we need to find complimentary players with a quality point guard, and, like Red said, we need to find the right coach who can make him play uselfish bball within teams concept.
That will be tough to do, as no other coach so far was able to make Melo play the right way in order to take advantage of his tremendous offensive talant.
I would trade him now.

metrocard

Legend

Man, I can't think of a worst situation to be in than the one we are in right now.

I want to say I miss the Isiah era but nothing is worst than that.

Oldtimer

Rotation player
I take it for granted that Melo and LaLa enjoy the bright lights of New York or LA, I also take it for granted that Melo would like to play for a contending team. I believe the former rules out the likes of Oklahoma City or Portland. Unfortunately the latter desire runs against the Knicks. If Melo does not opt-out or we sign him after he opts out, we will have the same team we have this year because we are capped out and have no draft picks. I think Melo would love to join the Clippers and unite with Chris Paul. The only way that would happen would be to trade Blake Griffin -- whose current contract is $18M -- for Melo. The next large contract is DeAndre Jordan at about $11M. I can dream, but I would be amazed if the Clippers would take Melo for Griffin.

skisloper

Starter
Yeah, Clippers would be foolish to do that trade. I dont think Rivers wants to disrupt his teams chemistry with iso-Melo

I am sure before this season started they would have been willing to trade Beldsoe, Jordan and 1st rounder for Melo...............That would given us 2 starters and with Amare and Chandlers expiring next a year a perfect way to rebuild...

KBlack25

Starter
Following up from yesterday:

The Knicks did nothing special, though they did come out in the second half clearly committed to running more motion-based plays and generally playing the kind of offense an NBA team should play. They ran a few Carmelo Anthony–Andrea Bargnani pick-and-pops, and they thrived whenever they posted Anthony up against the game but overmatched Alan Anderson. Anthony loves to catch the ball, face up in one-on-one situations, and take midrange jumpers off the bounce...But the Knicks are so, so much better when Anthony challenges himself to do the harder things — running pick-and-rolls that require him to read multiple layers of defense, and bullying smaller wings on the block. Those actions unleash his power as a passer by drawing multiple defenders at him in ways that almost force the ball from his hands.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-t...-and-nets-circle-the-drain-at-the-toilet-bowl

Kiyaman

Legend
Love your breadth of knowledge but...

May I remind you that the whole getting a superstar here like Melo only works with the type of special coach that can reel him in, fine tune his talents, and use him correctly as to not have him play selfishly but within the team concept.

Basically take the good talent and mold it into something great.

Woodson has proven he cant. As a matter of priority we MUST find a coach that can do this 1st. This coach must be unquestionable and have a solid gameplan to implement.
without this Melo is just another expensive volume shooter.

OldTimer put the basic facts of dealing with Melo's contract.
Lakers extended contract to Kobe left out one thing .. Kobe cant get to the FINALS without Phil Jackson.

When it comes to Melo, its not about the headcoach .. Kobe is about the HC, Melo is not.
Its about Melo having 2 veteran leadership teammates telling Melo his position on the team to become contenders.
Melo wanted out of Denver bc of Billups, and Melo want out of NY bc of Amare.
In the short 2011-12 season Amare, Melo, and Billups wouldve been a 2nd to 3rd round postseason team without Tyson Chandler. WHY?
Billups improve all teammates performance with written plays on offense/defense.

Example .. trading Melo to the LA Clippers would make the Clippers a top contender bc CP3 & Griffin will run the show. Trading Melo to Houston would make the Rockets a top contender bc Harden & Howard will run the show.
Trading Melo to Dallas would make owner Cuban Mavs a top contender team bc Dirk & Marion will run the show.
Trading Melo's outrageous contract to a team without 2 strong veteran leadership players are a team that will not succeed in passing the first round of the playoffs.
What makes this bad for us right now, the above example is the scouting-report on ISO-Melo trade-report to owners. G.M. are not allowed to trade for outrageous high salary players without the owner, and a committee consent. So trading Melo is more difficult than trading Amare's contract. Melo is 10% on trading, and 90% on walking...

I'm confused by the Melo recruiting Rondo stories. If true, does that mean he's recruting Rondo to us for 2015 (we sure don't have the assets to trade for him before then) or is he recruiting him to another team that he plans on going to (seems a little ridiculous a theory). I don't know about you fellas, but a starting lineup of a top free agent big man (e.g. Love), Melo, Shump, THJ, and Rondo in 2015, assuming Rondo is healthy, might get me back on board for re-building this team around Melo if he is going to stay. Then again, the whole Rondo-Melo thing is most likely completely bunk, but whatever.

Kiyaman

Legend
Following up from yesterday:

The Knicks did nothing special, though they did come out in the second half clearly committed to running more motion-based plays and generally playing the kind of offense an NBA team should play. They ran a few Carmelo Anthony–Andrea Bargnani pick-and-pops, and they thrived whenever they posted Anthony up against the game but overmatched Alan Anderson. Anthony loves to catch the ball, face up in one-on-one situations, and take midrange jumpers off the bounce...But the Knicks are so, so much better when Anthony challenges himself to do the harder things — running pick-and-rolls that require him to read multiple layers of defense, and bullying smaller wings on the block. Those actions unleash his power as a passer by drawing multiple defenders at him in ways that almost force the ball from his hands.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-t...-and-nets-circle-the-drain-at-the-toilet-bowl

The Brooklyn Nets ran a 10-man rotation, out of those 10 players 5 belong in the D.League.
G.M. King spent all the Nets money on the Boston Trade, and Joe Johnson & Deron Williams.
For King to fill the roster with over 13 players to start the season, King added cheap D.League players,
forgetting to add the main player .. a veteran backup PG for Deron, ala Derrik Rose...

Kiyaman

Legend
Should we be in the trade-thread discussing Melo's departure ASAP???

Through 16 games, Carmelo Anthony averaged 22 shots a game for the Knicks. The Knicks were 3-13.
“Me scoring 30 wasn’t working,” Anthony said.

So for two nights in a row, Anthony barely broke double figures in attempts. He tried 12 against the Nets. He attempted 10 against the Magic on Friday.

“For me, I wanted to do something a little different to see if it worked,” said Anthony.

Notice how he says "I" all the time...like he thought this up?
Naw, had nothing to do with the entire team calling Melo's chucking ass out in public all these weeks, right?
Just Good old Melo from the bottom of his great heart thought this all up on his own.
Shower him with praise, people, shower him with praise. The Press is saying, "Carmelo Anthony provided the Knicks with 2 wins"

will Melo go right back to chucking soon enough. He did this under D'Antoni, he did it last year at one point, and the rest of the season he chucks. Why would THIS be any different THIS time around?

You can see it on his face during games he doesn't want to be here and doesn't want to play "like this". He is full of it and I'm not buying it. We will ride the "LeBron Anthony" week for all it's worth and then go right back to him & JR chucking, ball-hoggin, stoppin the ball, walkin the ball

Paul1355

All Star
Melo doesnt make other players better but this team doesnt help him either.

I would understand if he jumped ship...we suck