Carmelo Anthony Discussion Thread - All Things Melo

mafra

Legend
NY Post wrote this weekend that a possible Crowder and BOS's 2018 first (not Nets pick) could be in play for Melo.... if Celtic get run out of EC in 5 games and Hayward doesn't sign with BOs.

Doesn't sound like Gordon will take a big paycut to play in BOs either.

Broadway

All Star
Funny how these past player's who played for Phil are ultimately calling Phil a jerk but admitting Melo is mentally SOFF!

Steve Popper: Will Perdue joined the NBA on TuneIn’s Two Man Weave radio show with Michael Rapaport & Kenyon Martin and gave his take on Phil and Melo: “I wish I could make heads or tails of it…One thing I can tell you is that he was very good at using the media to help motivate players. I kind of recognize what he’s doing in terms of Carmelo, trying to aggravate him and kind of goad him into playing better, but it just seems like Carmelo wants nothing to do with it.”

mafra

Legend
Add Kenyon Martin to this lost. Recently said Phil is at fault for not working around the ball stopping Melo. He said triangle won't work in today's world.

Broadway

All Star
Add Kenyon Martin to this lost. Recently said Phil is at fault for not working around the ball stopping Melo. He said triangle won't work in today's world.

Yeah he stuck up for Melo but K-Mart didn't play in the triangle...guys like Kobe, Fisher, Perdue, Pippen did. Pippen was critical of Phil more so about his mgmt skills but wouldn't trash the system

Kiyaman

Legend
Would Pat Riley do this .....

Melo to Miami for Winslow and #14 (they may have to add in McRoberts).
I am guessing that they have been able to free themselves from Bosh contract opening up the money to take him on.
Melo doesn't take a hit with his brand.
Riley is one of the best execs in the game to attempt to win the chip with.
Dragic, Whiteside are both perfect pieces next to Melo. Waiters, Johnson, Richardson aren't bad either.
Knicks would obtain close to 45 mil in cap space.
Would also obtain 25+mil trade exception creating around 65+mil to work with cap wise.
Adding 14 pick in this draft would be great.

CoolClyde

Would Pat Riley do this .....

Melo to Miami for Winslow and #14 (they may have to add in McRoberts).
I am guessing that they have been able to free themselves from Bosh contract opening up the money to take him on.
Melo doesn't take a hit with his brand.
Riley is one of the best execs in the game to attempt to win the chip with.
Dragic, Whiteside are both perfect pieces next to Melo. Waiters, Johnson, Richardson aren't bad either.
Knicks would obtain close to 45 mil in cap space.
Would also obtain 25+mil trade exception creating around 65+mil to work with cap wise.
Adding 14 pick in this draft would be great.

nope, Pat Riley would not make this deal. as a Knicks fan sounds good to me, too good to be true.

Kiyaman

Legend
nope, Pat Riley would not make this deal. as a Knicks fan sounds good to me, too good to be true.

Wsup Clyde .. the 2017 playoffs graded a C+ ...and that's from the teams in the first round.
The playoffs are over .. the Curry, Klay, and Green crew hosted Durant to win the Chip!

Now its time to figure out whats gonna happen with Melo and the Knicks .. will they depart?
Will the Knicks and Melo try it out for another season?
How much is Melo's performance worth in the NBA?
And how much worth will the Knicks receive from trading Melo?

Kiyaman

Legend

Wsup Clyde .. I just graded the 2017 playoffs with a C+ ...and that's from the teams in the first round.
The playoffs are over .. the Curry, Klay, and Green crew hosted Durant to win the Chip!

Now its time to figure out whats gonna happen with Melo and the Knicks .. will they depart?

CoolClyde

Wsup Clyde .. I just graded the 2017 playoffs with a C+ ...and that's from the teams in the first round.

agree, playoffs kinda sucked, GS just too good with KD; didn't like the OKC move, still don't like it.

best things for Knicks and Me-lo is a separation. the only way Me-lo will stay is to spite Phil for dissing him so heavily; who the hell wants to play for someone who doesn't want you there? a spiteful player will not perform to highest ability, unless he is auditioning for another team.

What is Me-lo worth? that is the question, and another test of PJ's accountability as Knicks prez; he's been really bad with trades thus far, losing Chandler, Felton, Shump, JR for next to nothing hurt, and losing Lopez for Rose was a failure. Not making the Rose for Rubio was the kicker, this off-season is the final test for Phil to put together his team to run his triangle.

Will Phil continue his losing ways, or actually get something in return for Me-lo.

Will he let Rose go for nothing, or sign and trade him?

this upcoming week leading to the draft is very intense, waiting for teams to trade to move up or down, and seeing who the top 7 teams pick. I'd like to see Me-lo moved asap, so team can concentrate on forging ahead signing, drafting or trading for someone to take his place.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
agree, playoffs kinda sucked, GS just too good with KD; didn't like the OKC move, still don't like it.

best things for Knicks and Me-lo is a separation. the only way Me-lo will stay is to spite Phil for dissing him so heavily; who the hell wants to play for someone who doesn't want you there? a spiteful player will not perform to highest ability, unless he is auditioning for another team.

What is Me-lo worth? that is the question, and another test of PJ's accountability as Knicks prez; he's been really bad with trades thus far, losing Chandler, Felton, Shump, JR for next to nothing hurt, and losing Lopez for Rose was a failure. Not making the Rose for Rubio was the kicker, this off-season is the final test for Phil to put together his team to run his triangle.

Will Phil continue his losing ways, or actually get something in return for Me-lo.

Will he let Rose go for nothing, or sign and trade him?
this upcoming week leading to the draft is very intense, waiting for teams to trade to move up or down, and seeing who the top 7 teams pick. I'd like to see Me-lo moved asap, so team can concentrate on forging ahead signing, drafting or trading for someone to take his place.

An old Knicks fan pointed this out to me a few years ago. It's regarding Phil and the triangle. He said the best thing for him to do is to trade everyone for young players because they are teachable. Most vets now come from AAU and have a shoot first mentality. You can't take a vet with 8 or 9 nears experience and expect them to change their game. Not in this day. By no means am I a fan of Phil, certainly not at this point, but since the team sucks ass anyway and he's going to be here for a few more years, might as well destroy and rebuild. At this point the only vets we need are one's that play defense. Get rooks that are teachable and run whatever kind of offense you want.

CoolClyde

An old Knicks fan pointed this out to me a few years ago. It's regarding Phil and the triangle. He said the best thing for him to do is to trade everyone for young players because they are teachable. Most vets now come from AAU and have a shoot first mentality. You can't take a vet with 8 or 9 nears experience and expect them to change their game. Not in this day. By no means am I a fan of Phil, certainly not at this point, but since the team sucks ass anyway and he's going to be here for a few more years, might as well destroy and rebuild. At this point the only vets we need are one's that play defense. Get rooks that are teachable and run whatever kind of offense you want.

totally agree Don Chris!

I didn't know 22 point per game was dead weight...sounds like your logic is the same as Phil Jackson who you could argue was the worst executive in NBA history.

Mills has yet to tip his hand at all for his plans for Melo. I think Melo plays for us this season and I think he picks up his player option for next season. I think we are in store for 2 more seasons of Melo as a Knick now that PJ is gone.

Paul1355

All Star
Mills has yet to tip his hand at all for his plans for Melo. I think Melo plays for us this season and I think he picks up his player option for next season. I think we are in store for 2 more seasons of Melo as a Knick now that PJ is gone.

You could be right. With all these unnecessary melodrama I can see him staying just so the Knicks don't lose him for nothing or have another PR disaster. Knicks need to make free agents want to come here and Jackson's treatment towards Melo turned off list free agents. If keeping Melo means we become somewhat respectable and a good player wants to sign here then keep the man. He averaged 22 ppg and is good friends with many elite players..we just need one to come here and our team changes. He can bring good players here .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paris401

Starter
You could be right. With all these unnecessary melodrama I can see him staying just so the Knicks don't lose him for nothing or have another PR disaster. Knicks need to make free agents want to come here and Jackson's treatment towards Melo turned off list free agents. If keeping Melo means we become somewhat respectable and a good player wants to sign here then keep the man. He averaged 22 ppg and is good friends with many elite players..we just need one to come here and our team changes. He can bring good players here .

lets see... he has been here 5+ years...lets see the Free agents who have signed... we have noah... rose...lee...Jennings... I'm still waiting for the 'good' player to sign cause Me-Lo is here... wake me when one signs...

Paul1355

All Star
lets see... he has been here 5+ years...lets see the Free agents who have signed... we have noah... rose...lee...Jennings... I'm still waiting for the 'good' player to sign cause Me-Lo is here... wake me when one signs...

Fair point, but he still has star power

Kiyaman

Legend
I didn't know 22 point per game was dead weight...sounds like your logic is the same as Phil Jackson who you could argue was the worst executive in NBA history.

The truth is .. Melo take's 30 shots to score 22 pts plus Melo plays 40 minute of no defensive effort in a game.
Oh yeah .. Melo dont know how to participate in a fastbreak unless Melo is the scorer ....
Yep! that's deadweight!

Let Melo go to the next team, where a wise head-coach knows how to coach Melo scoring talent for 24 minute a night having Melo in lineups of young 2-way teammates to cover the defensive-end of the court.

Kiyaman

Legend
Examining the Knicks' future, with or without Carmelo
Michael Shapiro - Sports Illustrated - Tuesday, July 4, 2017

The three-year disaster that was the Phil Jackson era in New York ended last week, when he and the organization mutually agreed to part ways, according to reports. Jackson left town with just 80 wins to his name, and nearly just as many public embarrassments. There was the LeBron James ?posse? debacle in 2016, the implementation of the triangle, and most recently, the threat of trading franchise cornerstone Kristaps Porzingis, seemingly over nothing more than a missed exit meeting.
While the Knicks escaped Jackson?s tenure with their star center still on the roster, the future of their other superstar, Carmelo Anthony, is still very much in doubt. Anthony has been in and out of trade rumors for the past two seasons, and now is rumored to be a possible buyout candidate. His current status with the Knicks is shaky at best.
Jackson created a mess of mammoth proportions for the Knicks? incoming President?Raptors? President Masai Ujiri and former Cavs GM David Griffin have been rumored as potential candidates?but there are still reasons for optimism. Porzingis is a bona-fide stud, and New York has all of its first round picks moving forward. Add in the (albeit faded) appeal of playing at MSG, and there?s a light at the end of the tunnel.
So what should the Knicks do moving forward? Well, there are two distinct paths. Trade Carmelo and embrace a rebuild, or keep the 15-year pro and compete for playoff positioning. Here is the Knicks roadmap back to relevancy, with or without Carmelo Anthony.

With Carmelo Anthony
There?s a compelling case for keeping Carmelo in the Big Apple. He?s still one of the league?s premier scorers, one whose gravity demands extra defensive attention. Anthony is a prototypical small-ball four at this point in his career, a punishing post presence who can extend the floor with a deadly mid-range jumper and quality three-point shot. His eventual plaque in Springfield should read ?Carmelo Anthony: Professional Scorer.?
Returning the same cast of characters around Carmelo and Kristaps doesn?t look to be enough on the surface to snag a playoff spot in 2017?18. But with 2017 playoff teams Atlanta and Indiana shedding their stars, the East is now wide open, and New York?s offseason isn?t over just yet.
The most pressing concern right now is at point guard. Derrick Rose had a resurgent year in 2016?17, but it?s still unclear as to if New York will commit to him long-term. If Rose heads elsewhere, the point guard market is thin, with few viable options remaining after Jrue Holliday and Patty Mills both opted to stay with their current teams, as did Kyle Lowry and his $100 million deal with Toronto.
One option still available: Jazz floor general George Hill. The nine-year vet posted a career-high in points per game this season, averaging 16.9 PPG on 40% shooting from three. Hill is a lanky distributor, and a calming presence with plenty of experience. He doesn?t project to be out of New York?s price range, and Hill can provide mentorship to first-round pick Frank Ntilikina as the young Frenchman develops.
New York also needs added scoring punch on the wing. The cadre of Courtney Lee and Ron Baker just won?t cut it, especially with Lee?s $35 million on the books over the next three years. Unloading his deal could free up additional money to chase a quality role player such as Bojan Bogdanovic or Aaron Afflalo, a former Knick and longtime teammate of Anthony. There also may be opportunities on the trade market. Look for Suns? guard Eric Bledsoe to come up in trade rumors over the next few weeks.
While the Knicks are certainly far from Finals contention, a postseason run is still very much in play. If they can find a way to solidify the roster around their two franchise cornerstones, the lights may stay on at MSG past the end of April for the first time since 2013. Anthony?s stardom may have faded over the past few years, but he can still carry a roster in crunch time. With no premium offers on the table, New York might as well keep Anthony and hope he can elevate his team to the playoffs.

Without Carmelo Anthony
Seven years of Carmelo Anthony has gifted the Knicks just one playoff series victory and four seasons under .500. And with one year left on his contract before an early termination option in 2018?19, this off-season is the perfect time to ship the former scoring champion.
Melo?s no-trade clause certainly limits the number of suitors. There?s no chance he?d agree to spend his season in Sacramento, Detroit or Memphis, but there are a few teams who could conceivably convince Anthony to relocate and receive a fresh start.
While the Clippers might have taken themselves out of the Carmelo sweepstakes by reportedly pursuing Danilo Gallinari, the Rockets and Cavs are now the two teams left pursuing Anthony. Neither team has the assets to acquire Carmelo?unless Cleveland agrees to swap Kevin Love for Anthony straight-up?but a third organization could come in and help facilitate a deal.
Phoenix and it's basket of young talent certainly comes to mind. Maybe they'd be on-board to ship a few unproven prospects New York?s way in a three-team deal to acquire Love. Send some combination of Marquese Chriss, Dragan Bender and TJ Warren along with a future pick and we might have a deal. The same logic applies to the Kings if they strike out in free agency. There is no simple path aside from a buyout that gets Anthony out of New York, but the Knicks brass should be able to conjure up a deal to acquire at least a modicum of young talent in exchange for Anthony.
It?s become increasingly likely over the past year that Anthony won?t finish his career in New York. There?s no point in delaying the inevitable. It?s better to trade Melo now and acquire future building blocks than to lose him after next year for nothing. The Knicks will be worse off next season, but well positioned for a thorough rebuild moving forward without Anthony. They already have a foundational piece in Porzingis, young assets in Hernangomez and Ntilikina, and each of their first-round picks over the next five seasons. It will be a long process, but the Knicks? best plan moving forward is to trade Anthony, shed long-term contracts, and fully embrace the tank. It?s their only route back to relevancy.
This article was originally published on SI.com