Melo Willing to take Pay Cut for Knicks

Broadway

All Star
Melo could also opt in this summer at $23mil on his last year and offer to take the pay cut in 2015, instead of having a $25.5mil cap hit already on the books that year by signing the $130mil deal this off-season.

For the record when I say opt in at $23mil and then look to take a pay cut, it's with the understanding he goes and recruit whoever is supposed to be that guy(s) to rebuild with going forward summer of 2015... while making considerably less than 105% or Max.

IMO this would be a better indication he's willing to make that sacrifice, as all our big contracts come off the books summer of 2015.

^^^^^^^^^
Cliffnote version of a couple previous posts I made in this thread and what present news do we have in regards to this scenario?.....See below

Carmelo Anthony and his camp are not interested in entering free agency in 2015 and remain set on this upcoming offseason.Anthony will be 31 when the 2015 free agency period hits.

The New York Knicks will likely pitch to Anthony the idea of adding stars around him through trade or free agency.

Anthony could opt into his contract in the offseason but has made it clear this season that he wants to become a free agent.

There's some other telling info in this article. I guess Melo isn't really serious about making the sacrifice that has the best chance of paying off. Oh and according to Isola....

Melo's camp thinks 2015 is MYTHICAL UNICORNY..<-------I tried to told ya'll it is. What team do you know maxes out a player, then delays the rebuilding a year with limited picks in bi-annual yrs?

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/isola-dolan-bye-melo-start-article-1.1710993

Last edited:

skisloper

Starter
^^^^^^^^^
Cliffnote version of a couple previous posts I made in this thread and what present news do we have in regards to this scenario?.....See below

There's some other telling info in this article. I guess Melo isn't really serious about making the sacrifice that has the best chance of paying off. Oh and according to Isola....

Melo's camp thinks 2015 is MYTHICAL UNICORNY..<-------I tried to told ya'll it is. What team do you know maxes out a player, then delays the rebuilding a year with limited picks in bi-annual yrs?

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/isola-dolan-bye-melo-start-article-1.1710993

Melo offering to take a Pay cut is a brilliant marketing strategy and he cannot lose.
If no with a decent market offers a MELO max contract he can always fall back on the Knicks take a slight pay cut.

I di not see any NBA offering a 30 year old Melo a MAX 4 year deal. There is just too much young talent in and coming into the league for a team to do that.

After watching what is going on in NY who in the world would want to come here.....We said the samething after Isiah and all we have to show for it was Amare ( that nobody would give a 5 year max deal to ), Chandler ( again Dallas would not pay him ) and MELO who there has always been that winning/making teamates better question...

seems to be we are doomed and that just blows.....for years we could fool ourselves and believe but now even being dillusional is gone.

Broadway

All Star
Melo offering to take a Pay cut is a brilliant marketing strategy and he cannot lose.
If no with a decent market offers a MELO max contract he can always fall back on the Knicks take a slight pay cut.

I di not see any NBA offering a 30 year old Melo a MAX 4 year deal. There is just too much young talent in and coming into the league for a team to do that.

After watching what is going on in NY who in the world would want to come here.....We said the samething after Isiah and all we have to show for it was Amare ( that nobody would give a 5 year max deal to ), Chandler ( again Dallas would not pay him ) and MELO who there has always been that winning/making teamates better question...

seems to be we are doomed and that just blows.....for years we could fool ourselves and believe but now even being dillusional is gone.

I'm also tired of hearing free agents media talk about a free agent's (CAMP or TEAM)

Listen bishes you have only 1 team and that's who you currently play for or no team at all if you're unemployed. CAA is not a TEAM. It's an agency/marketing firm, be it one of the largest in the entertainment industry but cut the crap talk of "I'll see what my TEAM wants to do as far as planning goes, we'll sit down and discuss things as a TEAM"......

As if you came off some back-to-back and you're contemplating if you should get in some additional practice time until the next gig or as if it's some exclusive Players only meeting held after hella play, amidst a 10gm losing streak.

It sounds so retarded and overplayed.

Last edited:

skisloper

Starter
I'm also tired of hearing free agents media talk about a free agent's (CAMP or TEAM)

Listen bishes you have only 1 team and that's who you currently play for or no team at all if you're unemployed. CAA is not a TEAM. It's an agency/marketing firm, be it one of the largest in the entertainment industry but cut the crap talk of "I'll see what my TEAM wants to do as far as planning goes, we'll sit down and discuss things as a TEAM"......

As if you came off some back-to-back and you're contemplating if you should get in some additional practice time until the next gig or as if it's some exclusive Players only meeting held after hella play, amidst a 10gm losing streak.

It sounds so retarded and overplayed.

Lebron's so called 'TEAM" made a jackass of him.........You are so right,,,,,,,,such nonsense....
The truth is these so called " Teams " works for the knicks because a player has to be a fool to come play for Dolan.....at the end of the day he calls the shots......

Broadway

All Star
Actually there is more to what you say here and that's correct. If you take what he's saying at face value that is.

He's not worried about the 5th year. Looking at his recruitment statement
(which btw he can only recruit players who are free agents and not every great player in the league) is him allowing other guys/teams to recruit him on championship pitches.

In the end he signs for 5yrs $130mil because we've been through this before with Melo, he's about his money first no matter what he says. Chicago may be the only threat.

Monday is the day we'll see all this begin to play out.

Broadway

All Star
"Melo could also opt in this summer at $23mil on his last year and offer to take the pay cut in 2015", instead of having a $25.5mil cap hit already on the books that year by signing the $130mil deal this off-season.

Melo thinks he's slick because not many individuals(casual to semi diehards) know about cap rules. Melo would be entitled to make 105% of his previous yr's salary or max(whichever is greater) "if he waited to sign a new deal next summer" and not this summer. That means he'd be entitled to make 105% of $23mil in 2015 or max(35% of cap). So if he was seriously worried about financial loss, there is none really as long as he stays relatively healthy.

NBA CBA see link below
http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q16

Excerpt From Q16

Team Salary Info
http://storytellerscontracts.info/?page_id=1696

Carmelo is scheduled to make $23,333,405 opt in year next year, which would still be a pay raise(7.5%) I don't want to hear this crap about well "it's not your money".....because David Lee and Nate Robinson essentially did the same thing for us their qualifying year.

The free agents this team is supposedly targeting are free in 2015(Rondo, Love, Gasol etc etc) not 2014...therefore who in the hell is he trying to recruit this summer, that gets us closer to a title?

Nice try Melo, you can fool all the others who want to be mind fudged by you, not me....my brain works and my heart does not pitter pat for your eyes only.

This guy is the clown of all clowns....EPIC proportions.

Which is exactly what Phil asked him to do but looks like he's passing up this option as I figured.

Kiyaman

Legend
Melo opting-out of a $23.5M season that the "ZEN" Phil Jackson will be incharge of are/is more FUNNIER than Rudy Gay opting-out of a $19M season with Sacramento Kings. Two over-paid JOKERS! LMAO

Broadway

All Star
Melo opting-out of a $23.5M season that the "ZEN" Phil Jackson will be incharge of are/is more FUNNIER than Rudy Gay opting-out of a $19M season with Sacramento Kings. Two over-paid JOKERS! LMAO

Rudy Gay opted in. He chose to keep his $19.3mil he's slated to make on Sac's books this year. As did Amar'e and Bargs

vrgadin

Benchwarmer
of course amare and barf did, they suck and have no future in the league after this paycheck, especially amare, some idiot might give barf a contract somewhere

Kiyaman

Legend
of course amare and barf did, they suck and have no future in the league after this paycheck, especially amare, some idiot might give barf a contract somewhere

I would agree with u if Phil Jackson resign ball-hogging ISO-Melo, and rookie coach Fisher gives ISO-Melo 45 minutes per game.

If Melo is not a Knicks next season then big-forwards Amare & Barg will have a 20-7 ending contract season playing 30 minutes per game shooting above 50%, that's without ISO-Melo controlling the ball, and without ball-hogging Melo controlling the head-coach substitution.
There was a reason last season I labeled our coach "Puppet-Woodson" after watching 2 seasons of poor substitution coaching in the 2012, and 2013 playoffs.

Chauncey Billups showed us in one playoff game that Carmelo Anthony has no-skills in playing the PG spot, and has no-skills at leading the point as a point-forward. And for two seasons we watch Puppet-Woodson let Carmelo Anthony play as the Knicks PG, point-forward, and PF. Three positions Carmelo Anthony has NO-SKILLS in performing.
One of the season 2012-13 were save by HOF Jason Kidd playing PG in the 4th quarter of a 82 game season.
Jason Kidd did not perform as the Knicks PG throughout the first 3 quarters of the game.

jimkcchief88

All Star
Kiya dude u are tripping. "No skills"??? A scoring title says differently...40 plus minutes a game says differently...28 and 8 says differently...c'mon man

Kiyaman

Legend
Clyde you can merge this into the current Melo thread at top of page...

Hopefully, for the sake of a winning Knicks team this will be the FINAL thread of Carmelo Anthony in KO.

On October 15, 2013. Dum-Dum Carmelo should have announce taking a pay-cut at the end of the season for the Knicks. Not announce "Opting-Out" during the Preseason games.
And then months later announce taking a "Pay-Cut" as a FA during the All-Star Games!
when Melo found out at the all-star games the FA market in 2014 wasn't looking so good for a high salary star scorer...ha ha ha ha so the title of this thread are wrong.
Melo announce taking a pay-cut during the all-star games for the 2014 FA market. Let's get it right.

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
Kiya dude u are tripping. "No skills"??? A scoring title says differently...40 plus minutes a game says differently...28 and 8 says differently...c'mon man

44% fg
37% 3-ball
Taking 23 shots per game, which doesn't include all the shots taking when fouled.
Ball-hogging for 40 to 46 minutes a game.
Plus letting his defenders get season/career high scoring.
And defensive-switching he makes the entire team look bad.

TheScowl

Rookie

What he wrote was no skills for playing PG, point fwd and PF. No one doubts his skills as a scorer.

I'd say has some PF skills (solid reb.). His assist totals bring his point skills into question.

gmf1369

Benchwarmer
If Melo is still willing to come back to New York, maybe a contract like this could favor both Anthony & the Knicks...

Bird Rights enabled the Knicks offer a two year deal with player option...

$18 M first year
$19.35 M second year
$20.8 M player option

The additional advantage for the Anthony camp would be having the ability three times before the end of the second year to invoke a trade out of New York... This works well for New York as well as it makes easier to find a trade partner, Melo would select 3 possible destinations for the Knicks to explore trade options and it will get done because it is part of this written underlinings of his contract...

I doubt something like this would be presented as it gives all the power to the player and the league would shy against that happening and also doubt the Knicks' brass has any creative juice to write or present this to Carmelo Anthony in their meetings during free agency trying to lure him back to New York...

xk3smith

Benchwarmer
Can't we still trade him??? I'm down for starting over. I'm not a new fan, was around for the Ewing era. And YES I'm willing to sit through another rebuilding season

Kiyaman

Legend
Can't we still trade him??? I'm down for starting over. I'm not a new fan, was around for the Ewing era. And YES I'm willing to sit through another rebuilding season

There's no reason to ask for a new body once u wipe out all the cancer in the body.
Puppet-Woodson's coaching-staff, ISO-Melo, JR.smith, Felton.