Melo Willing to take Pay Cut for Knicks

jimkcchief88

All Star
No way Bosh carries the team like Stat did his first year here and break Ewings record. Stat made us relevant again.
Not saying Bosh isn't the better player right now because he is, but at the time we signed Stat I didn't see no1 complain.

I complained and I wasn't the only one we could resigned David Lee for half the we layed out for STAT.

Kiyaman

Legend
look at it this way: the knicks once again got unlucky. it was never supposed to be melo and a bunch of wannabes, it was supposed to be melo, stat and chandler. our "big three". it kind of makes me sad that melo gets all the blame for not being able to put the team on his shoulders, because it really is stat and chandler's fault. Melo has done what was expected of him, stat and chandler have not, and that's the reason we are where we are. NOT MELO.

The Knicks didnt have a chance at anything when they amnesty Chuancey Billups ....
we made to many dum-moves.

The best part of the Melo-trade was "PG-Chauncey Billups leadership/direction/and FINALS experience"
When Billup's talks the coaching-staff and players listen.
Melo got rid of PG-Billups!!!

The Denver Nuggets could not trade Melo by himself, bc no team trusted Melo to resign.
So Denver through Billups $14M team-option into the Melo-trade to get a buyer.

When we Amnesty Chuancey Billups .. it set us back three years ..
that was the Dummest thing to do.
Our so-call BIG-3 started their first season together without a veteran PG to go 8-15 record .. familia
Who saved that 2011-12 season without any help from Stat & Melo, a D.League product LinSanity a PG.
Melo got rid of PG-Linsanity!!!

We amnesty the best part of the Melo-trade a experience player/coach PG (who tutor Ty Lawson for 2 seasons).
Our interim GM Glen Grunwald didnt have the power to agree to Billups $14M team-option,
and he damn sure didnt have the power to amnesty a Star PG Billups for what?
a career 27 minute per game defensive center Tyson Chandler ..
plus pay Tyson three times the amount of what he wouldve got from Cuban.
Dum move .. Dum move .. Dum move.

Do u really think interim GM Glen Grunwald had the power to go to the press, and say he's going to let a billion $$$ product (Linsanity) test the FA market? Dum move .. Dum move .. Dum move

Broadway

All Star
the only thing this means to me is that he also happens to be willing to take a paycut somewhere else...

Actually there is more to what you say here and that's correct. If you take what he's saying at face value that is.

He's not worried about the 5th year. Looking at his recruitment statement
(which btw he can only recruit players who are free agents and not every great player in the league) is him allowing other guys/teams to recruit him on championship pitches.

In the end he signs for 5yrs $130mil because we've been through this before with Melo, he's about his money first no matter what he says. Chicago may be the only threat.

WVKnickfan

Rotation player
How does Melo taking a Pay-Cut help the Knicks become a winning team? or a NBA contender?
It doesnt.

What doesnt make sense are ....
So many Knicks-Fans has been calling for HC Mike Woodson's head on a stick since the Indiana Pacers series.
while the same fans praise Carmelo Anthony high-scoring as if he's a super-star.
whie each game we watch HC Puppet-Woodson coach a 48 minute game to Carmelo Anthony every need/want.

1) Melo taking a pay-cut is not going to increase our inside scoring, or increase our 6 point average in fastbreak baskets.
2) Melo taking a pay-cut is not going to let other Knicks players have a game high in points, or stop Melo from ball-hoggin.
3) Melo taking a pay-cut so we could spend more money clearing the entire roster to give Melo a new roster of players is not going to change the perception teammates have of Ball-Hoggin ISO-Melo.

Truth to it all .. If we are going to have a losing season, I would rather have a losing season with a couple of 2014 draft picks we got from trading Melo before the deadline...

Exactly Kiya!! It doesn't matter if Melo takes less money or not b/c the fact of the matter is the Knicks cannot win with him on this team.Think about it who in their right mind (player) would want to come play for the Knicks? NOBODY b/c they know what he brings to the table and playing team ball is not one of them. The Knicks will not win anything as long as he is on this team b/c of his ego.He doesn't care about team chemistry or team ball all he thinks about is padding his stats and nothing else.He thinks he can win it all by him self well I still don't see no rings on his fingers.As long as melo is here the knicks can forget about becoming NBA CHAMPS.

xk3smith

Benchwarmer
Exactly Kiya!! It doesn't matter if Melo takes less money or not b/c the fact of the matter is the Knicks cannot win with him on this team.Think about it who in their right mind (player) would want to come play for the Knicks? NOBODY b/c they know what he brings to the table and playing team ball is not one of them. The Knicks will not win anything as long as he is on this team b/c of his ego.He doesn't care about team chemistry or team ball all he thinks about is padding his stats and nothing else.He thinks he can win it all by him self well I still don't see no rings on his fingers.As long as melo is here the knicks can forget about becoming NBA CHAMPS.

Have you watched any games this season??? The only game I saw were Melo played for himself was the 62 record game. Ever other game he had great assist and rebounded that help his team score.

The only ways that make any championship sense is trading Melo or if Lebron come to NY. But Melo + full seat at MSG = $$$$$$$$ for the Knicks organization, championships or not. Why would the Knicks trade all those players for Melo??? Those players weren't seat filling draws.

If you see the Knicks keep Melo past the trading deadline, you'll know for sure they don't care about championships. OR THE KNICKS FANS

Broadway

All Star

Melo could also opt in this summer at $23mil on his last year and offer to take the pay cut in 2015, instead of having a $25.5mil cap hit already on the books that year by signing the $130mil deal this off-season.

Melo thinks he's slick because not many individuals(casual to semi diehards) know about cap rules. Melo would be entitled to make 105% of his previous yr's salary or max(whichever is greater) if he waited to sign a new deal next summer and not this summer. That means he'd be entitled to make 105% of $23mil in 2015 or max(35% of cap). So if he was seriously worried about financial loss, there is none really as long as he stays relatively healthy.

NBA CBA see link below
http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q16

Excerpt From Q16
A free agent's maximum salary in the first year of a new contract is never less than 105% of his salary in the last year of his previous contract. For example, a ten-year veteran free agent who most recently earned $20 million has a maximum salary of at least $21 million, even if that is above the league-wide maximum.

Team Salary Info
http://storytellerscontracts.info/?page_id=1696

Carmelo is scheduled to make $23,333,405 opt in year next year, which would still be a pay raise(7.5%) I don't want to hear this crap about well "it's not your money".....because David Lee and Nate Robinson essentially did the same thing for us their qualifying year.

The free agents this team is supposedly targeting are free in 2015(Rondo, Love, Gasol etc etc) not 2014...therefore who in the hell is he trying to recruit this summer, that gets us closer to a title?

Nice try Melo, you can fool all the others who want to be mind fudged by you, not me....my brain works and my heart does not pitter pat for your eyes only.

This guy is the clown of all clowns....EPIC proportions.

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
For the record when I say opt in at $23mil and then look to take a pay cut, it's with the understanding he goes and recruit whoever is supposed to be that guy(s) to rebuild with going forward summer of 2015... while making considerably less than 105% or Max.

IMO this would be a better indication he's willing to make that sacrifice, as all our big contracts come off the books summer of 2015.

Melo knows if he leaves besides the 5th year being sacrificed($30mil), no team he goes to offers less than Max....Win-Win for him no matter how you slice it. He's not taking a significant enough pay cut to make a difference for us this summer if he stays and he's not taking a pay cut if he leaves to another team. He can also extend on his new deal after the 3rd season out to 4yrs. So if he left to another team he can discuss signing an extension when he's 33, the same with us. Difference is with us inserting an extension in the 3rd yr would wreak of what his intentions were on this new deal, as being a total money grab.

Something else we need to keep in mind, Melo can sign for 5yrs with us and insert a No-Trade Clause(Yuck Yuck Yuckity Puke Chunks Yuck). So unless he blesses us with an okay to trade him(wouldn't be surprised if it came with a trade kicker(%5-15)), we'd be absolutely stuck with him for the next 5yrs...5th year making $28.9mil

Kiyaman

Legend
Have you watched any games this season??? The only game I saw were Melo played for himself was the 62 record game. Ever other game he had great assist and rebounded that help his team score.

The only ways that make any championship sense is trading Melo or if Lebron come to NY. But Melo + full seat at MSG = $$$$$$$$ for the Knicks organization, championships or not. Why would the Knicks trade all those players for Melo??? Those players weren't seat filling draws.

If you see the Knicks keep Melo past the trading deadline, you'll know for sure they don't care about championships. OR THE KNICKS FANS

One of our biggest problems is not having Jason Kidd as our CLOSER .. in the final 5 to 3 minutes of every game this season, we have to put up with Melo decision-making at the end of every game. Its not nice to watch Melo shoot the ball on every offensive-possession the last 3 minutes of a game, plus the move Melo sets up happen to be the same moves he been doing all game, every game since Syracuse.

Plus we have to listen to commentators "Breen & Clyde" point out all the negative moves of 14 Knicks players ..
But Breen & Clyde never point out how Melo's 40 minutes per game of ball-hoggin effect his teammates performance. Or how Woodson spot-minute (4 to 5 min) playingtime for all the bench-player effect their performance. Or JRsmith decision-making as a closer receiving starter playingtime.
Or where's the chemistry on this Knicks team after 25 games???

Kiyaman

Legend
the only thing this means to me is that he also happens to be willing to take a paycut somewhere else...

:agreed::agreed::agreed:
Announcing such foolishness in New Orleans during ALL-STAR weekend, after talking with so many All-Star players .. Melo found out his FA worth needs a pay-cut for any suiters to be interested. LMAO

Oldtimer

Rotation player
I am not as negative about Melo as 3G4G, but we come to the same bottom line. I would prefer to let him go and start rebuilding despite the absence of first round picks in 2014 and 2016. We are just not going to contend for a title with Melo notwithstanding all his offensive talent. I do not expect a pay cut significant enough to make a real difference in the free agent market. Melo's contract, unless the home town discount is unbelievably large, will hamstring us for the next half decade. Unfortunately I anticipate he will get the hamstringing contract from Dolan. I see the same old mediocrity going forward and without the hopes attached to teams in rebuilding mode, such as Philadelphia and Boston.

Broadway

All Star
:agreed::agreed::agreed:
Announcing such foolishness in New Orleans during ALL-STAR weekend, after talking with so many All-Star players .. Melo found out his FA worth needs a pay-cut for any suiters to be interested. LMAO

Joe Johnson laughing at Melo's pitch to Kevin Love....

BgollFeCIAA139_.jpg

jimkcchief88

All Star

I don't think these cats watch the games at all. They just come here to talk crap about Melo to try and feel better about their own miserable lives real talk. If they bothered to watch the games they would actually realize Melo is averaging career bests in categories other than points: minutes per game(38.8), rebounds(8.6), 3 point%(41%), and free throw%(84%). I do disagree with your last statement. If Melo stays past 2014, STAT and Bargs contracts come off the books and we could add another MAX player(hello Lebron) and then some.

tiger0330

Legend
I don't think these cats watch the games at all. They just come here to talk crap about Melo to try and feel better about their own miserable lives real talk. If they bothered to watch the games they would actually realize Melo is averaging career bests in categories other than points: minutes per game(38.8), rebounds(8.6), 3 point%(41%), and free throw%(84%). I do disagree with your last statement. If Melo stays past 2014, STAT and Bargs contracts come off the books and we could add another MAX player(hello Lebron) and then some.
One of the few Knicks earning his money but he's 3rd in the NBA in shot attempts and 188th in FG%, 88 in assists and he hasn't been clutch in the 4th qtr. I can see the critics point about him being an iso ball player. I have seen too many lows and losing streaks with Melo, TC and Stat in the lineup together. In 2012 it was Lin that seemingly turned around the season, last year the old heads of Kidd, Sheed and KT were the diiference, this year we won't even make the playoffs despite a great year by Melo

jimkcchief88

All Star
One of the few Knicks earning his money but he's 3rd in the NBA in shot attempts and 188th in FG%, 88 in assists and he hasn't been clutch in the 4th qtr. I can see the critics point about him being an iso ball player. I have seen too many lows and losing streaks with Melo, TC and Stat in the lineup together. In 2012 it was Lin that seemingly turned around the season, last year the old heads of Kidd, Sheed and KT were the diiference, this year we won't even make the playoffs despite a great year by Melo

Two things Tiger....41% from 3 point land is not 188th in the league. Melo's 3 point % was good enough to set a record in the Allstar game for makes. Two...You cannot compare a volume jump shooters fg% to guys Blake Griffinth that get thrown ally oops all day or a Dwight Howard that shoots 2 foot jumpshots as opposed to 22 foot jump shots. And again, if Melo had ANY help maybe he wouldn't have to take majority of the shots. Our 11 million$$$$, former #1 draft pick, hasn't played for a month and is a seven footer who's fg% is barely better than Melo's 3 point%. Let the Great White Benchwarmer share some of blame for this disappointing season people. Look how much better the Craptors are without Bargiani. Sorry that's more than two things on Chief.

WVKnickfan

Rotation player

Yes I have watched every game and what I have seen from melo this year is what every player does that's in his situation.When their contract is coming to a close or if they can opt out those players always play harder and try harder than the years before when they was still with their team.Thats one thing that I can't stand is watch a player loaf and not play his best for his team until his contract year comes.I garrentee you one thing if or when he does get that money he will be back to the same melo and that's a fact.

Broadway

All Star
From Marc Spears

The New York Knicks seem to be very bi-polar when it comes the their confidence level that Carmelo Anthony will return in 2014-15 and be with the team long-term. After sounding like they wouldn’t be making a move at the NBA All-Star Game, the Knicks have kicked it into high gear, going from scoffing at trade talks to being in preliminary talks for a three-team blockbuster.

According to Marc J. Spears, all this flexing is stemming from the fact that the Knicks are insecure about how Carmelo Anthony sees them and they want to prove they are committed to putting a winning team on the court right now.

New York is trying to make a deal before the trade deadline to show Carmelo Anthony they’re serious about improving.

We’ve heard this as motivation in the past, and it makes a lot of sense. While it’s abundantly clear that Melo loves living in New York, he wants to win there too and that all starts with the front office. A willingness now to get big pieces proves that if Melo re-signs, the team will go out and make free agent waves.

At least that’s the message that seems to be coming across, and it’s far from a bad one for New York to be sending out.

Like I said if we can't pull off deals for the likes of the great Kyle Lowry/Jeff Teague then how on earth are we gonna pull moves 1-2yrs from now?