Phil Jackson Has Officially Agreed To Join Knicks

Kiyaman

Legend
There's one thing Im proud of Phil Jax speech in the Press Conference, he didnt give out any details of his future plans for the Knicks.
And KO members wonder why I bashed dum-dum BIG-MOUTH Donnie Walsh the day of his first speech of a "2010 Plan" that failed for the Knicks, but was a great idea for Miami Heat Pat Riley to put into action having two years at his dissposal.

Broadway

All Star
There's one thing Im proud of Phil Jax speech in the Press Conference, he didnt give out any details of his future plans for the Knicks.
And KO members wonder why I bashed dum-dum BIG-MOUTH Donnie Walsh the day of his first speech of a "2010 Plan" that failed for the Knicks, but was a great idea for Miami Heat Pat Riley to put into action having two years at his dissposal.

He kind of did when he said this...

-
Believes in "SYSTEM BASKETBALL"....the ball has to move, has to be passed, players have to move and cut

-
Will work with Mills to bring in another scorer to help Melo and look at the 2015 off-season to bring in more help(free agents) but in the meantime they will have to comb the bushes to find help.........(which translates to will make trades and signings if we can but 2014 don't expect much)

Forgot to mention
-
He often alluded to building around Melo and having picks(as in getting more) going forward will only help the rebuild process

So in essence...

- Style of Play Will Change

- Wants to Rebuild with Melo

- Wants to use 2015 Cap Space and picks going forward to help rebuild

Not that any of this is earth shattering but he did tip his hand somewhat.

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
Clyde's interview with Phil was EVEN BETTER than the press conference!

Do u think Walt Frazier will be receiving a raise & bonus soon?
I do .. who knows more bout the Knicks-team than Clyde

Kiyaman

Legend
3G4G .... all the things Phil Jax mention are the things he's known for in his career.

PJ is famous for his "tri-angle" SYSTEM.
PJ is known for having 4 scorers in his 5-man lineup.
PJ is known for teaching no-defensive players (Shaq, Kobe, Gasol, Harper, Kukoc, Paxon, Amstrong) how to play relentless defense in his system.
Only thing wrong is Red Holzman 6th Man Phil Jax is not the Knicks Headcoach, he's the President of operation who have to look over all of Dolan's fumble idiot hirings from Brass down to the water-boy. Thats a helluva big house to clean.
Allan Houston .. Herb Williams .. Steve Mills .. all been with the Knicks organization for over 15 years

Broadway

All Star
3G4G .... all the things Phil Jax mention are the things he's known for in his career.

PJ is famous for his "tri-angle" SYSTEM.
PJ is known for having 4 scorers in his 5-man lineup.
PJ is known for teaching no-defensive players (Shaq, Kobe, Gasol, Harper, Kukoc, Paxon, Amstrong) how to play relentless defense in his system.
Only thing wrong is Red Holzman 6th Man Phil Jax is not the Knicks Headcoach, he's the President of operation who have to look over all of Dolan's fumble idiot hirings from Brass down to the water-boy. Thats a helluva big house to clean.
Allan Houston .. Herb Williams .. Steve Mills .. all been with the Knicks organization for over 15 years

It's not so much about what he's known for as in he informed us of what he intends to do.

If he does bring in the Triangle as "THE SYSTEM" that means we're almost assured Woodson is getting fired. Or will he institute a different system?

As far as scorers it means he will probably try to move 2 if not 3 of our starters this off-season as they are somewhat liabilities scoring the basketball outside of Smith or Hardaway as scorers in a starting role. Since he said "we're going to have to get a scorer" that shows a clear plan of action(something happening) irregardless of what he's known for.

The point I'm making some of the things he said denotes he will be making changes sooner rather than later.

Kiyaman

Legend
Dang it Kiya beat me to the punch:) I think ESPN is going to carry the news conference as well...New Era starts TODAY Knicks fans....As far as no one participating here anymore, it's not because the team has underachieved. This board was lively thru the Isiah years, STARBURY years, Jamal, E-city, Z-Bo, the whole smash. What has happened lately is a small but loud minority has taken over with thier Haterade and lack of basketball IQ. And "ain't nobody got time for that." This is indeed an open forum, but dumb posts don't pass the eye test here. Getting on here regurgitating Colin Cowherd on why "Melo Sucks" don't cut it and vet posters here will put the whole site on the ignore list. Me, I'm a battle poster so I love exposing dumb things like "Innis>Melo" lol....How is that mess looking now???? Again insert Princess Amadala here:"I pray sense and sensibility will return to the senate." We got a playoff run to attend to and my new Melo jersey should be at my door today:). Everybody enjoy the press conference on chief

It's time to put on my "Iman Shumpert" jersey .. Shump will come to play mvp stlye vs Pacers tomorow now that Phil Jax is in MSG.
Amare will do the same, watchout Hibbert/West. Barg may come back sooner than we thought.
Woodson stale coaching and poor substitution will change during the Pacers game, or Woody's out the door asap.

Kiyaman

Legend
It's not so much about what he's known for as in he informed us of what he intends to do.

If he does bring in the Triangle as "THE SYSTEM" that means we're almost assured Woodson is getting fired. Or will he institute a different system?

As far as scorers it means he will probably try to move 2 if not 3 of our starters this off-season as they are somewhat liabilities scoring the basketball outside of Smith or Hardaway as scorers in a starting role. Since he said "we're going to have to get a scorer" that shows a clear plan of action(something happening) irregardless of what he's known for.

The point I'm making some of the things he said denotes he will be making changes sooner rather than later.

I dont know bout the Knicks using a triangle system, PJ just want the Knicks to have a system inplanted if the Knicks make the playoff this season. The ISOLATION-Melo system never got far in the playoffs.

PJ never mention Melo name when he mention getting a 2nd scorer.
PJ said, "i didnt say Melo's not in the future plan, Melo has another level to learn".
Somehow the press knew not to mention Melo or Woodson more than one time during this press conference.
Go figure? for the last 2 years anything good about the Knicks the Media couldnt stop mentioning Melo's name.

Both of PJ Lakers press conference in the past, all the media question were about Shaq & Kobe, and the triangle.
Maybe bc PJ was taking the HC job for the Lakers, and taking the President job for the Knicks. ha ha ha
I wonder what PJ is going to do this offseason about Melo's 8 year teammate JRsmith????

Broadway

All Star
Nice little tidbit from the PC and post interviews....

Jim Dolan confirms Stephen A. Smith's report that the Knicks offered Phil Jackson the head coaching job first. Woodson must be thrilled

vrgadin

Benchwarmer
im now watching dolan on micheal kay, hes actually in studio. i hate to admit hes really personable and saying all the right things. i still think he knows nothing about basketball and hated that he was so controlling, but hes actually kind of funny and seems pretty chill.........just sayin

pat

Starter
IN the NBA game time news feed I read that "Mr. Mills and Mr. Jackson will both report directly to Mr. Dolan. Either this is face aving or DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM.

CoolClyde

a great press conference, and essentially, an all-out interview with Phil Jackson. the fact that he spoke off the cuff, and answered every single question with intelligence and eloquence, was just a great feeling. and then, hearing James Dolan saying that he'll willingly and gratefully cede control to Jackson was just the topping on the apple pie. Dolan, not so eloquently, spoke of his shortcomings, and his feeling that he needed to take control in the past. he said he's better at managing businesses than basketball, and if he recognizes this, then he should also realize that hiring Jackson and relinquishing all control to Phil is the smartest move he could possibly make. this could actually be a turning point in Dolan's career, knowing how to take a back seat to someone who knows the game of basketball better than anyone in the business. someone who knows NY, and has the respect of every single person in the city, and the game. Phil's interview with Clyde was fantastic, the two of them are cut from the same winning cloth.

Phil talking about Melo taking his game to another level... wow, he just said it all. power to Action Jackson!

welcometonycity

Rotation player
a great press conference, and essentially, an all-out interview with Phil Jackson. the fact that he spoke off the cuff, and answered every single question with intelligence and eloquence, was just a great feeling. and then, hearing James Dolan saying that he'll willingly and gratefully cede control to Jackson was just the topping on the apple pie. Dolan, not so eloquently, spoke of his shortcomings, and his feeling that he needed to take control in the past. he said he's better at managing businesses than basketball, and if he recognizes this, then he should also realize that hiring Jackson and relinquishing all control to Phil is the smartest move he could possibly make. this could actually be a turning point in Dolan's career, knowing how to take a back seat to someone who knows the game of basketball better than anyone in the business. someone who knows NY, and has the respect of every single person in the city, and the game. Phil's interview with Clyde was fantastic, the two of them are cut from the same winning cloth.

Phil talking about Melo taking his game to another level... wow, he just said it all. power to Action Jackson!

today is one of the greatest days in knicks history.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot

is_this_real_life101-1.gif

Broadway

All Star

You have to wonder how someone like Dolan involved in all the major business ventures he's been a part of has managed to screw up this team so badly. The only thing I can think of is his misjudgement of character(s) and making decisions based on emotions.

Oldtimer

Rotation player
I believe that Dolan's main problem has been his willingness to listen to the wrong "experts." It is certainly not in his interest to have a bad team. He has always been willing to spend money, but the money or other assets have not been spent wisely. Dolan appears both to have and to respect loyalty. This characteristic tends to breed management personnel eager to please Dolan and who wish to endorse what appear to satisfy him. He has hired and has listened to incompetent "yes" men who prefer to please rather than advise. Jackson will be different.

jimkcchief88

All Star
I hope the Melo-Haters took particular note of Phil's comments on Melo....You clowns have been arguing with anyone who would listen(which most everyone on this board stopped listening) about how badly Melo sucks....Hopefully the ZenMaster set y'all straight:). I will not attempt to paraphrase or highlight any points as it will be spun in the wrong direction as has been chronicled here before....Just replay the tape several times as the ZenMaster said it best on Chief:)

CoolClyde

fyi, i merged the Phil threads. if anyone wants to freak out and leave the forum, please do so at your convenience.

let's hope the 4Q substitution antics of the Philly game and yesterday's 2nd half breakdown against Kyrie-less Cavs show Phil what a potato head coach the knicks have, and convince the new prez to start considering a new coach, which i'm sure he has already...

GordonGecko

Benchwarmer
fyi, i merged the Phil threads. if anyone wants to freak out and leave the forum, please do so at your convenience.

let's hope the 4Q substitution antics of the Philly game and yesterday's 2nd half breakdown against Kyrie-less Cavs show Phil what a potato head coach the knicks have, and convince the new prez to start considering a new coach, which i'm sure he has already...

"But I know what a triangle is. I'm not biased against shapes, I don't need no circles, I love triangles. TRIANGLES ARE MY FAVORITE, my bed is a triangle, LISTEN TO ME!!! HEllo? HELooo??"

- Mike Woodson

skisloper

Starter
I hope the Melo-Haters took particular note of Phil's comments on Melo....You clowns have been arguing with anyone who would listen(which most everyone on this board stopped listening) about how badly Melo sucks....Hopefully the ZenMaster set y'all straight:). I will not attempt to paraphrase or highlight any points as it will be spun in the wrong direction as has been chronicled here before....Just replay the tape several times as the ZenMaster said it best on Chief:)

I think Phil said what we all said.....He said Melo has the ability to take his game to the NEXT level......Melo has also said he is willing to change his game to do what it takes to get to that level....

The only disagreement was that some on the board beleived he was already at that level and other thought he was not.