Mike Woodson FIRED, 5 days after season end.

Broadway

All Star
Steve Kerr is the best of that bunch by a long mile ..
Steve Kerr learned the hard way as a GM with Rookie of the year Amare Stoudemire. And letting a puppet assistant coach Mike Dantoni get to much fame from Steve Kerr getting rid of the Phoenix Suns individual players Marbury & Penny slow balling poor defensive talent in 2003-4 season, to let their highest paid player Shawn Marion leadership run and control the Phoenix Suns roster (The Matrix got the SSOL system from Jason Kidd, and used that system with Steve Nash & Amare to have a few successful seasons.).
Mike Dantoni refusal to bring in assistant coach Thibideu in the 2007 offseason, had the owner of the Phoenix Suns trade Shawn Marion for Franchise Player Shaq on the February 2008 trade deadline, which put Kerr's GM job in jeopardy.

What we get in Steve Kerr is a GM/Coach who played the Triangle-system and won, plus defended against the Triangle-system and won.

Disagree and it seems like you're running things together here not distinguishing when Steve took over. I mean let's keep it real. Steve Kerr was brought into the Suns organization to essentially do what Phil intends to do for us. Yet Kerr failed and bailed as soon as he saw Phx couldn't win a chip with Nash and didn't want to be a part of rebuilding the Suns.

paris401

Starter
Woody didn't exactly get a fair shake in NY, .

as others have mentioned his coaching left something to be desired... as to not getting a fair shake, he is getting paid for next season, not sure how much $$$, but its gotta be near to $1m... not a fair shake... I don't think so...

Broadway

All Star
as others have mentioned his coaching left something to be desired... as to not getting a fair shake, he is getting paid for next season, not sure how much $$$, but its gotta be near to $1m... not a fair shake... I don't think so...

That payment comes with a No talking to Media Policy....They call that "Hush Money"

tiger0330

Legend
Steve Kerr is the best of that bunch by a long mile ..
Steve Kerr learned the hard way as a GM with Rookie of the year Amare Stoudemire. And letting a puppet assistant coach Mike Dantoni get to much fame from Steve Kerr getting rid of the Phoenix Suns individual players Marbury & Penny slow balling poor defensive talent in 2003-4 season, to let their highest paid player Shawn Marion leadership run and control the Phoenix Suns roster (The Matrix got the SSOL system from Jason Kidd, and used that system with Steve Nash & Amare to have a few successful seasons.).
Mike Dantoni refusal to bring in assistant coach Thibideu in the 2007 offseason, had the owner of the Phoenix Suns trade Shawn Marion for Franchise Player Shaq on the February 2008 trade deadline, which put Kerr's GM job in jeopardy.

What we get in Steve Kerr is a GM/Coach who played the Triangle-system and won, plus defended against the Triangle-system and won.
Amare was drafted in by the Suns in 2002. Kerr became GM and President of the Suns in 2007 so what are you talking about. His stint as GM was less than successful getting to the first round once during his tenure as a GM. He said he didn't enjoy being a GM after 3 years and went back to broadcasting. what makes you think he doesn't pull that I didn't enjoy NY or coaching crap if he becomes the Knicks coach. I see media reports already that he's a west coast guy and he's wary about the Knicks management (Dolan). Give me JVG any day over a soft Steve Kerr.

Broadway

All Star
Amare was drafted in by the Suns in 2002. Kerr became GM and President of the Suns in 2007 so what are you talking about. His stint as GM was less than successful getting to the first round once during his tenure as a GM. He said he didn't enjoy being a GM after 3 years and went back to broadcasting. what makes you think he doesn't pull that I didn't enjoy NY or coaching crap if he becomes the Knicks coach. I see media reports already that he's a west coast guy and he's wary about the Knicks management (Dolan). Give me JVG any day over a soft Steve Kerr.

Yeah you and I pretty much agree here.

I found it odd too with the personalities he had there when he took over he hired Terry Porter to coach them. Not that Porter is a bad coach but how could he not gauge what style of play would suit them best especially when he had an idea to bring in Shaq. He made some suspect moves during his time there and I feel being GM is close to being a coach. I mean that person is supposed to help put goods in the cupboards for the coach to cook up, therefore he should know what a coach wants and how he plans to execute it.

Kerr is alright but doesn't excite me, very much like the Odom signing doesn't.

tiger0330

Legend
He came in with the idea that what the Suns needed to get to the next level was to get rid of that SSOL D'Antoni style of play and play defense which is why he brought in Terry Porter.

Kerr is the type of guy that thinks he's entitled wanting to take top level jobs like President and GM or head coach of the Knicks without any experience.

I'm surprised Jackson would consider hiring him despite the fact they're friends because PJ put in 5 hard years learning coaching in the CBA with the Albany Patroons. I would think that experience knocking around the minor leagues of bball would give a guy like PJ a distrust of people like Kerr that want to start out at the top.

Broadway

All Star
He came in with the idea that what the Suns needed to get to the next level was to get rid of that SSOL D'Antoni style of play and play defense which is why he brought in Terry Porter.

Kerr is the type of guy that thinks he's entitled wanting to take top level jobs like President and GM or head coach of the Knicks without any experience.

I'm surprised Jackson would consider hiring him despite the fact they're friends because PJ put in 5 hard years learning coaching in the CBA with the Albany Patroons. I would think that experience knocking around the minor leagues of bball would give a guy like PJ a distrust of people like Kerr that want to start out at the top.

Very true and I didn't disagree with his philosophy(feeling that's what it would take to win a championship) on the matter but he should have done a better job executing, reshaping the team... to accomplish that. He failed doing so and bailed, in particular when the going got tough looking towards the transition yrs. He knew Sarver was going to cut back starting rebuild. His excuse, he needed to spend more time with his family yet went right back into broadcasting...

Kerr has some red flags

EDIT: Misheard.....Kerr wasn't ready to coach at that time(Seattle Group purchase of Kings) but apparently he must have left the door open because Phil is interested in peaking his interest again.

Last edited:

donchris

Next season, keep waiting

I'm not going to defend Woodson. To say he made some questionable decisions under pressure is an understatement. Just think back to this even two years from now when you're calling for Kerr to be fired.

Knicks fans have a long tradition of disloyalty going back to Patrick Ewing. He's John the Baptist now but there was a time when fans called for him to be traded. Woodson was a decent coach for a **** team. Unless Phil's old ass goes down to the bench or brings in a better proven coach, don't expect much better results for next season.

tiger0330

Legend
If he's managed his money well, I don't think his daughter's college payments are his worry. Maybe money will change his mind, but would be odd if the college bills will change it.
Saw this in the NY Post.

Van Gundy is said to want to coach again now that his daughter is heading to college.

Broadway

All Star
Very true and I didn't disagree with his philosophy(feeling that's what it would take to win a championship) on the matter but he should have done a better job executing, reshaping the team... to accomplish that. He failed doing so and bailed, in particular when the going got tough looking towards the transition yrs. He knew Sarver was going to cut back starting rebuild. His excuse, he needed to spend more time with his family yet went right back into broadcasting...

Kerr has some red flags

EDIT: Misheard.....Kerr wasn't ready to coach at that time(Seattle Group purchase of Kings) but apparently he must have left the door open because Phil is interested in peaking his interest again.

Steve Kerr met with Phil Jackson on Friday and officially discussed the New York Knicks' head coaching vacancy.

?We talked about the coaching position and we?ll keep talking,? Kerr said on Sunday. ?I?ve made it pretty clear the past couple of years that I?d like to get into coaching, and now it?s sort of out there. It?s like anything else, you have to explore it and that?s what we?re doing."

Kerr is in New York to call the Brooklyn Nets-Toronto Raptors game Sunday and added the two sides will maintain discussions.

Kerr and Jackson also spoke over the phone on Saturday.

?It?s the only reason I?m talking to them, I wouldn?t have known anybody else in the Knicks? organization,? Kerr said. ?The fact that Phil took this job was the connection. Of course, he was my coach and I have a ton of respect for him. And I?m honored that he?s talking to me about the job. We covered a lot of ground and there?s a lot to discuss with a job like this on both ends.

?It?s the Knicks and it?s Phil Jackson, my coach. So I?d be crazy not to look into it. We?ll further the conversation on both sides. But meanwhile I?m really busy with my own (broadcasting) job."

So let's do the math Steve.....You left the Suns in 2010 because you said you wanted to spend more time with your family although Sarver asked you to take a paycut and you knew the Suns/Nash championship window closed and rebuilding was on the Horizon.

But you stated above after talking with Phil you've wanted to coach for the past couple of yrs. Well from 2013-2014 - 2yrs comes to 2011-2012. So you only wanted to spend time with your family for 1yr?

lol @ Kerr

I won't be disappointed at all if he doesn't get hired and will be skeptical as heck if he does.

tiger0330

Legend
I get the feeling Kerr won't take the Knicks job for a lot of reasons. Family, having to relocate to the east coast, probably the biggest fish bowl you could be in for a rebuilding Knicks team, no doubt one of the toughest head coaching jobs in the league.

Wouldn't be surprised if Kerr tells PJ "After careful consideration I have decided not to pursue the Knicks head coaching position."

Now who would be PJ's next choice?

Broadway

All Star
I get the feeling Kerr won't take the Knicks job for a lot of reasons. Family, having to relocate to the east coast, probably the biggest fish bowl you could be in for a rebuilding Knicks team, no doubt one of the toughest head coaching jobs in the league.

Wouldn't be surprised if Kerr tells PJ "After careful consideration I have decided not to pursue the Knicks head coaching position."

Now who would be PJ's next choice?

He'll probably consider Derek Fisher

tiger0330

Legend
He'll probably consider Derek Fisher
Woj wrote an article saying the Lakers should consider him. I wonder how D'Antoni resigning will affect the Kerr hire, supposedly Kerr was waiting to see what coaching vacancies opened up before giving the Knicks an answer. The Laker job would be perfect for him since he lives in San Diego.