So What Now? Who WILL be our coach?

WNY_Knickfan

Benchwarmer
With Kerr out (can't stand all that time passing with the assumption he was our guy only for the quick about face) who do you think and/or want to be the coach of the Knicks? There are several choices from PJax past like Rambis, Shaw (I think still under contract tho?) that could be possible, then you have Hollins who I like but was jettisoned from a pretty good team so who knows, Action Jackson and JVG both who fanbase would love, but agree with sentiment that neither necessarily fit with Phil, JVG wanting more personnel power and both likely having own ideas on system, not necessarily willing to go full on triangle. Then you have, as mentioned on TKB, DFish, still playing at the moment but potentially posed to pull an Ason Kidd. I like the Fisher idea as I think it's same thing as the Kerr idea, guy very familiar with Phil who can act essentially as an extension of Phil, guy players would like and respect, someone to mold. Don't get me wrong if JVG signed I'd be pumped, but realistically I like DFish more than other small name guys like Rambis.:2cents:

tiger0330

Legend
I've been reading Luke Walton and Tyron Lue also. DFisher said he wants to take a year off if he decides to retire from playing this season so you might have to rule him out. Rambis makes the most sense with his HC experience, though his record was hardly impressive in MN he would probably be the best candidate to implement the triangle and Phil's philosophies in NY.

I'd love JVG back but the lack of rumors about him for other jobs tells me he's not interested in leaving the booth for coaching just yet. Someone said the one thing Kerr lacked was toughness and JVG has that in spades.

Broadway

All Star
I said in the Woodson Fired thread in response to Tiger and good call by Tiger after we reviewed some key points on Kerr....

Originally Posted by tiger0330....I get the feeling Kerr won't take the Knicks job for a lot of reasons. Family, having to relocate to the east coast, probably the biggest fish bowl you could be in for a rebuilding Knicks team, no doubt one of the toughest head coaching jobs in the league.

Wouldn't be surprised if Kerr tells PJ "After careful consideration I have decided not to pursue the Knicks head coaching position."

Now who would be PJ's next choice?

He'll probably consider Derek Fisher

According to Isola he's going after Fisher

Derek Fisher is emerging as the leading candidate for the New York Knicks' head coaching vacancy.

Fisher won five NBA titles under Phil Jackson with the Los Angeles Lakers.

Jackson’s plan would be to assemble an experienced staff around Fisher that could include Kurt Rambis and Bill Cartwright.

Fisher said on Thursday night that he had yet to be contacted by the Knicks, according to The Oklahoman.

tiger0330

Legend
I said in the Woodson Fired thread in response to Tiger and good call by Tiger after we reviewed some key points on Kerr....

He'll probably consider Derek Fisher

According to Isola he's going after Fisher
Good call on DFish 3G4G. Not sure you get him either, DFish said he wanted to take a year off after his playing days are over and he may want to come back with that Thunder team if they come up short not making it to the NBA finals. So PJ is going after a guy that said he's not available for a year after he retires along with having no experience coaching, like you said not impressed with PJ in any way yet.

Broadway

All Star
Good call on DFish 3G4G. Not sure you get him either, DFish said he wanted to take a year off after his playing days are over and he may want to come back with that Thunder team if they come up short not making it to the NBA finals. So PJ is going after a guy that said he's not available for a year after he retires along with having no experience coaching, like you said not impressed with PJ in any way yet.

Let's say it's Fisher....I love the idea of him going after a player who could conceivably play another 14gms before the season is officially over(rolling eyes repeatedly) meanwhile affording opportunity for other teams to scoop up potentially available coaches. I don't want to hear how long or short Phil's list is....I want to hear he's actually working...using his own words about what it will require us to reshape this roster('we'll have to comb the league shake the bushes') old head you better be combing, shaking, compassing, excavating, etc etc the NBA and Collegiate circles to find a coach and make contact with them.

We're not paying you $60mil for you to wait on a guy.... who's still working btw.... who could possibly tell you thanks but no thanks. Not to mention what if OKC doesn't make it to the Finals and Scott gets fired wouldn't OKC be an attractive place to coach? Phil comes off to me as being lazy and is hoping his cache namesake does all the work for him. Look that ain't how it works , that ain't how it goes, you better be checking high and you better be checking low... to find us a competent coach.

Kiyaman

Legend
Let's say it's Fisher....I love the idea of him going after a player who could conceivably play another 14gms before the season is officially over(rolling eyes repeatedly) meanwhile affording opportunity for other teams to scoop up potentially available coaches. I don't want to hear how long or short Phil's list is....I want to hear he's actually working...using his own words about what it will require us to reshape this roster('we'll have to comb the league shake the bushes') old head you better be combing, shaking, compassing, excavating, etc etc the NBA and Collegiate circles to find a coach and make contact with them.

We're not paying you $60mil for you to wait on a guy.... who's still working btw.... who could possibly tell you thanks but no thanks. Not to mention what if OKC doesn't make it to the Finals and Scott gets fired wouldn't OKC be an attractive place to coach? Phil comes off to me as being lazy and is hoping his cache namesake does all the work for him. Look that ain't how it works , that ain't how it goes, you better be checking high and you better be checking low... to find us a competent coach.

When Phil fired the Knicks entire coaching-staff, days later the media kept writing about Phil's interview with his ex-players, and his ex-coaches. Interviewing twice the amount of coaches we had on the staff.
During the Knicks summer games in the offseason, i expect Phil to have a bench load of coaches for "Murry & THJ" to go 6-0 in the summer games.

Last edited:

gmf1369

Benchwarmer
P.J. interested in trying to pry Brian Shaw away from the Nuggets, not sure how this would be possible but looks like we could be losing one or two of our best players in any deal that goes down... Most of you guys here don't mind if Shumpert is shipped out, while the other player could be Hardaway Jr. as these are the only two assets that have any value besides Anthony... I doubt with Hickson, and Magee on their roster they would want Chandler but it could be possible... Hope this is just speculation/rumor being floated out there, because handing over our prospects/future for a coach is not smart business especially with the current state of our roster...

tiger0330

Legend
P.J. interested in trying to pry Brian Shaw away from the Nuggets, not sure how this would be possible but looks like we could be losing one or two of our best players in any deal that goes down... Most of you guys here don't mind if Shumpert is shipped out, while the other player could be Hardaway Jr. as these are the only two assets that have any value besides Anthony... I doubt with Hickson, and Magee on their roster they would want Chandler but it could be possible... Hope this is just speculation/rumor being floated out there, because handing over our prospects/future for a coach is not smart business especially with the current state of our roster...
Seems you can't trade players for a coach according to NBA rules, you can only trade draft picks or cash for Shaw. Stupid move to trade anything for Shaw with his record in Denver and his problems with Miller, won't think much of Phil if he trades anything for Shaw other than cash.

Broadway

All Star

I guess we are paying Phil $60mil to be lazy

According to Stein
Phil Jackson is in no rush to hire a head coach for the New York Knicks until he has the opportunity to seriously discuss the opportunity with Derek Fisher.

Fisher is still in the playoffs with the Oklahoma City Thunder.

Fisher's interest in coaching remains a matter of debate, with Scott Brooks telling the New York Daily News over the weekend that it wouldn't surprise him if he played one more season.

The Knicks are also interested in Brian Shaw, but they do not plan on asking permission to interview him.

Phil is starting to piss me off with this Triangle at all cost mumbo jumbo

Broadway

All Star
Also any player/coach under contract we'll have to ask permission to speak with. Most players even with the Finals concluded in Early-Mid June are under contract until June 30th.

Supposedly Phil did have Brunch with Mike Dunleavy a quintessential retread for 2hrs or so, but it still borders on Phil being lazy as he and Dunleavy were present for the Draft Combine in Chicago. Supposedly MD has ran snippets of the triangle during parts of his coaching career.

gmf1369

Benchwarmer
Seems you can't trade players for a coach according to NBA rules, you can only trade draft picks or cash for Shaw. Stupid move to trade anything for Shaw with his record in Denver and his problems with Miller, won't think much of Phil if he trades anything for Shaw other than cash.

there are ways around that, lol... all the Knicks need to do is to make two separate transactions... One cash consideration for Shaw while the other trades players to the Nuggets... I am no way interested for the Knicks to acquire Shaw rather give Fisher a shot... Even bringing in Mark Jackson looks like a more viable option...

Bringing in Derek Fisher as Head Coach and Scottie Pippen as an assistant coach could do this time some renewed vigor... Add in revamping the playbook to the Triangle, trading and gutting this roster regardless if Anthony is a part of the future needs to be done now not wait to next year...

I feel Phil can't make a bad choice . . . until I see different I trust him. Why? Bottom line he knows basketball. Chances are whoever he picks will go in knowing full well the triangle is the order for offense. No coach should be shocked at that going in. Kerr could have been good but I think Jackson is his pal and just pretended to be considering him to get his value higher and Kerr let him know he wanted to stay on west coast, so GS Warriors were perfect. Mark Jackson seems to have lost his mind so I doubt he's Phils guy. I can see bringing Shaw in but it's unlikely as he is under contract already. Fisher seems best bet, likely already has handshake agreement. Do you all really think Phil has no idea what he's doing right now or is just acting lazy?

petescud

Starter
I'm trying not to worry if Phil lost his mind with the triangle or bust attitude, as well as lets get a coach with no experience...lmao

Broadway

All Star
I'm trying not to worry if Phil lost his mind with the triangle or bust attitude, as well as lets get a coach with no experience...lmao

Well your concerns must be at an all-time high because It's Kerr and now on to Fisher(donut coaching experience combined).

I'm not as concerned with no experience coaching because Mark Jackson, Kevin Mchale, Ason Kidd, heck even Greg Popavich going back to his beginning dispel those thoughts for me, although I'd prefer experience first.

Kiyaman

Legend
I feel Phil can't make a bad choice . . . until I see different I trust him. Why? Bottom line he knows basketball. Chances are whoever he picks will go in knowing full well the triangle is the order for offense. No coach should be shocked at that going in. Kerr could have been good but I think Jackson is his pal and just pretended to be considering him to get his value higher and Kerr let him know he wanted to stay on west coast, so GS Warriors were perfect. Mark Jackson seems to have lost his mind so I doubt he's Phils guy. I can see bringing Shaw in but it's unlikely as he is under contract already. Fisher seems best bet, likely already has handshake agreement. Do you all really think Phil has no idea what he's doing right now or is just acting lazy?

:agreed:
Good Point .... we are talking about the miss-manage Knicks organization, that need cleaning from top to bottom.
A task that may take two off-seasons plus a regular season to go after the right front-office management/coaching/and players. This is not a over night job.

Steve Kerr wouldve been a great help cleaning-out the Knicks miss-management in the front-office.
We are not sure how many coaches Phil Jax will have trying-out for the 5 to 8 empty coaching-staff job,
when the postseason end? We do know Phil has already contact ex-players, and ex-coaches.
We do know there's some decent NBA HC available in Lionel Hollins, Brian Scott, and Carlesimo.
We also know Phil will have certain Knicks-players on the trading-block on draft-night.
When the postseason end, Knicks President Phil Jax building process begins.

tiger0330

Legend
Been reading a lot of positive comments about Fisher from former Laker teammates, current Thunder teammates, Scotty Brooks etc. Everyone seems to be in agreement about the guy's bball iq, leadership and communication skills. One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that he can make 2-3 as much coaching with a longer contract than by playing for the vets min on 1 year deals. Seems like the perfect guy for PJ and the Knicks, seems like an easy sell for PJ to get Fisher here after the season is over.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
I prefer Jackson having a vision and taking his time. These are guys he's coached to championships. Of course it's yet to be seen how Kerr and Fisher would be as head coaches, but it might be better for Jackson to be patient then be like run n' gun Dolan.