Knicks reach out to Scottie Pippen about joining coach-staff

Kiyaman

Legend
Knicks general manager Steve Mills met with Hall of Famer Scottie Pippen this week about the possibility of Pippen joining the Knicks' coaching staff, the New York Post reports.

The report says Mills and Pippen met for about 15 minutes and gauged Pippen's interest in possibly becoming an assistant coach, not head coach.

Pippen currently is an advisor for the Chicago Bulls, the team with which he won six NBA championships as a player.
Phil Jackson coached Pippen on those title teams, and Jackson is now the president of basketball operations for the Knicks.

Jackson had been targeting another former Bull, Steve Kerr, for the Knicks' vacant head coaching position but Kerr chose to join the Golden State Warriors instead. "I was a little bit surprised [Kerr didn't take the Knicks job]," Pippen told the Post. "I thought the familiarity working with Phil, able to run the offense, having Phil there to mentor him as much as possible made it a bit of a surprise. I think at the end of the day, Golden State is probably the better team. They have a lot more upside. "With Kerr now out of the mix, the Knicks must start over in their search for a head coach.

Once they choose a coach -- and the Post is reporting recently fired Warriors coach Mark Jackson is getting a look -- they can begin filling out the rest of their staff, which may include Pippen. "I haven't talked to Phil. I have to wait until that time comes, "Pippen told the Post.
"Right now nothing'out there. I'm not going to say whether I'm interested or not until it happens."

Kiyaman

Legend
When Pippin return to the Chicago Bulls in 2004-5, the decade losing Bulls made the playoffs in the same season Pippin return to the organization. Phil Jax getting Pippin would be a strong powerful move in NY, much powerful than getting Kerr.

Owner Micheal Jordan of the Bobcats/Hornets gets no props from me for finally making the playoffs in 2013-14 season.
MJ first season or second season as a owner should've hired his 6 rings partner Scotty Pippin.

As a head-coach or top assistant coach, I would select Pippin over Kerr every day of the week.
As a GM, I would select Kerr over Pippin everyday of the week.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Would be interesting for him to take this job, especially now that Fish was added as head coach with Phil as president and Phil's direction of the team. I'd be a little worried of Scottie though because of him being a consultant for the Bulls and the '90s rivalry with the Knicks. I don't know him, so I'm not saying he'd be unprofessional and be secretly work for the Bulls, just yeah.