The NBA Playoffs

Broadway

All Star
It has been a joy to watch basketball the way it was meant to be played. Not sure if Spurs will finish the job(sure looks like it) but I picked them to get it done and if so.... I say thanks in advance.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Every single basketball coach in the entire world needs to tell every single player in the entire world to just watch what the Spurs are doing...period.

tiger0330

Legend
I also predicted a Spurs win. Brilliant basketball but watching the Spurs made me think how hard it's going to be to win a championship in NY. You have 3 guys that took less money to play down in SA and they have a very deep bench, I can't remember anyone that said he would take less money to play in NY and how do we put together the type of bench SA has. PJ better be a miracle worker to do what they did in SA.

Indy and Roy Hibbert have to be the most disappointing team in the east. I predicted a repeat of the Miami/Spurs finals this year and that looks like where we're headed but this time there will be no Ray Allan miracle shot.

petescud

Starter
Yeah i also thought the Spurs win this year. When you see the bench you say wow, half these guys would start on most teams. Crap they barely played Belinelli. And with all the foriegn talent, they do all the small things right. See all the touch passes, and they pass the ball like the Harlem Globetrotters at times...lol

Kiyaman

Legend
The Spurs been playing above-outstanding b.ball in the FINALS.
what I don't understand is where is the fight in their opponent?
I know coach Pop has been the top #1 head-coach in the NBA, but Lebron & DWade performance in the FINALS equals Kobe & Shaq final season. LMAO

petescud

Starter
Yeah, for some reason the Heat are not playing with any desparation to win. I think everyone not named James on the Heat is content on going down with the ship. If they lose LBJ stays in Miami strickly for his family. Lets hope he winds up on our team in 2015. He is a beast

Broadway

All Star
Yeah, for some reason the Heat are not playing with any desparation to win. I think everyone not named James on the Heat is content on going down with the ship. If they lose LBJ stays in Miami strickly for his family. Lets hope he winds up on our team in 2015. He is a beast

Lebron is actually a joke, a cHeater, and an arrogant douchebag. I want him nowhere close to our team. Did you forget how he made a mockery of our franchise during the 2010 courting?

I want to feel what the Spurs and Mavs feel like...you know when you beat the heir apparent best. That's what I want.

A team built to beat whatever great force is out there. To do it the right way, with integrity...not cutting corners, no fraternizing, no manipulation, do it with hard work, team work, and organically and last but not least a longevity of success for contention.

If the Spurs would have hit their free throws and got a couple rebounds last year.... Lebron would potentially be 1 for 4 in the Colluded Finals era. Nothing special really.

This was a beautiful Finals to watch.

You don't have to form a team with a bunch Max Egomanical Contract Players

You don't have to have THAT GO TO SCORER WHEN THE GAME IS ON THE LINE blah blah blah(mythical spewed garbage) we've been hearing from our fan base the past few yrs.

Nope put together a team like the Spurs and it will survive any era of basketball with peak success. As I said many times during the season you don't play games to come down to final possessions.... you do exactly as the Spurs have, you play to win where the game isn't anywhere close to being in balance.

jimkcchief88

All Star
I'm loving it...looked like a microcosm of the Knicks season...one Superstar getting his teeth kicked in by a better team with no help...and I hope everyone blames crybaby Bron just like Melo caught all the flack for the Knicks failure...that means you Colin Cowherd and the rest of the Melo haters. This outcome will lead to the breakup of the Big Three...now it's up to Phil to get Lebron to NY with Melo...Batman and Robin in Gotham City:)

Pricey

Rotation player
the hate LeBron is getting is laughable. Miami are barely a playoff team without him. The bloke had no help apart from Bosh in a couple of the games. Spurs as a team are just simply better.

tiger0330

Legend
It'll be at least 5-10 years before the Knicks can build a team like the Spurs. Knick fans better hope the miracle man Phil Jackson can buy a championship while he's at the helm the next 5 years.

I don't get the dire pessimism and hate for the Heat, they made it to the dance and won the championship last year. Knick fans would die just to make ONE Finals appearance and win a championship. The Heat have nothing to be ashamed of, they proved the Big 3 could work by getting to the finals 4 years in a row and winning 2 championships, Wade needs to be replaced by Melo or someone else and they'll contend again.

Last edited:

jimkcchief88

All Star
Tigger some of us remember Pat Riley leaving us and going to the Heat. I am sure it was about front office control and player personnel decision but it still sucked the big one. I mean leaving is one thing, but to go to our biggest rival and set up shop to this day??? Naw man that ain't cool screw the Heat real talk:(

Broadway

All Star
It'll be at least 5-10 years before the Knicks can build a team like the Spurs. Knick fans better hope the miracle man Phil Jackson can buy a championship while he's at the helm the next 5 years.

I don't get the dire pessimism and hate for the Heat, they made it to the dance and won the championship last year. Knick fans would die just to make ONE Finals appearance and win a championship. The Heat have nothing to be ashamed of, they proved the Big 3 could work by getting to the finals 4 years in a row and winning 2 championships, Wade needs to be replaced by Melo or someone else and they'll contend again.

Basketball purist first. Collusion will never be accepted by me no matter the team, no matter the sport. Compete and overcome the struggle.

One of the main reasons Micheal Jordan is revered as the G.O.A.T. has to do with the fact he didn't run away from the challenge/struggle of beating all the greats stacked against him. You don't cut corners to win Tiger, it's about as low budget as it gets to do so.

Lebron has been to 5 Finals and only won 2, and quite frankly he should have only won 1. You give any past time great who never got there 5 cracks at a title and I'd wager they'd fair just as well. The difference, Lebron had to muck up the level of competition to do so whereas others didn't. What are Lebron's Defining moments in his title runs? He doesn't have many except maybe the year he beat Durant's Thunder. His losses have been rather atrocious. He got outplayed by Kawhai Leonard, yes Lebron should feel low. Remember he and D-Wade mocking Dirk's illness in the Finals? He deserves not 1 iota of sympathy, empathy, pity whatsoever. They didn't team up to win just 2 and start begging for help through the media. Remember they told everyone Not 1, Not 2, Not 3, Not 4, Not 5.... I wouldn't even have had a problem they wanted to play together in general and it simply came together naturally but to have started this BS back 2008(Olympics) naahhhh unacceptable.

All this Lebron=Jordan talk hopefully dies forever now. Jordan won 6 chips in 6 appearances, I believe was Finals MVP all 6 times and never played a game 7 in the Finals.

And you say it'll take 5-10yrs. Well looking at it all doom and gloom sure but really all it takes is to make the right move at first crack having a significant opportunity to do so. You trust Phil right?

Let's theoretically say we're putrid next year and we have a chance at Jahil Okafor next summer... if we were to snag a talent of this caliber this is the first move that potentially sets 15-20yrs of greatness in motion. You do realize the Spurs success started with grabbing Duncan right? They also won right away as soon as they grabbed Duncan, thus making it easier to proceed forward thereafter.

I'm not trying to get my rocks off as a fan only during Phil's tenure, what kind of shortsightedness is this line of thinking? I'm looking past Phil really, if it comes to it. Who's to say he couldn't be around for another decade or more though? The franchise needs to be good regardless of who's at the helm and the moves made should reflect this, meaning Phil shouldn't be making moves trying to go all in for 5yrs at 1 crack for a title and then leave us high and dry should we fall short. He should be making moves to give us a legit shot to win while he's here and if he moves on so the next GM who comes after him doesn't have misery waiting at the doorstep. Hence Phil taking over and we're near dungeon levels of catastrophe because the previous GMs didn't set things up with long-term success in mind.

Maybe just maybe you should question your own patience and willingness to go through an organic process. It's been a problem with New York fans for so many yrs now. IMO this should be included in part of the culture change process.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
Never question the patience of a fan base that hasn't won a championship in 50 years and Phil could care less about whether the Knicks are winning after his contract ends.

He needs to win now and buying talent is his best option, talents like Duncan and Lebron are once in a generation finds, teams are more likely to get the Greg Oden's and an Anthony Bennet than a Tim Duncan through the draft.

Donnie Walsh also said he's built teams with young talent and by signing stars and building teams through the draft takes longer.

PJ is not being paid 60M so the Knicks can be good after his contract is up, he's got a year of grace next year but he's here to attract and sign top talent like Kevin Love who said NY is an attractive destination with Phil here.

tiger0330

Legend
Tigger some of us remember Pat Riley leaving us and going to the Heat. I am sure it was about front office control and player personnel decision but it still sucked the big one. I mean leaving is one thing, but to go to our biggest rival and set up shop to this day??? Naw man that ain't cool screw the Heat real talk:(
I do remember when Riley left but if the Knicks had given him the title of President, GM and coach the Knicks would be a winning team now. Riley may be the best and biggest deal maker in NBA history and I hope PJ is as good Riley.

Broadway

All Star
Never question the patience of a fan base that hasn't won a championship in 50 years and Phil could care less about whether the Knicks are winning after his contract ends.

He needs to win now and buying talent is his best option, talents like Duncan and Lebron are once in a generation finds, teams are more likely to get the Greg Oden's and an Anthony Bennet than a Tim Duncan through the draft.

Donnie Walsh also said he's built teams with young talent and by signing stars and building teams through the draft takes longer.

PJ is not being paid 60M so the Knicks can be good after his contract is up, he's got a year of grace next year but he's here to attract and sign top talent like Kevin Love who said NY is an attractive destination with Phil here.

No you do question the patience hence maybe it's part of the reason the drought is 50yrs and counting. If Phil isn't building with fire resistant material with a near lifetime warranty principle of operation.... then maybe just maybe he'll prove to be not the right person for the job.

This 2014 draft will prove to be historical, mark my words. It will be the draft discussed that rivals the 2003 draft. But of course since we don't have a pick this yr, you have short sighted glasses on. Your tune will dramatically change this time next yr as will so many others.

There have already proven to be 2 teams with great formulas to kryptonite a team like the Heat....almost a 3rd if you count the Pacers and neither of them model the Heat's version of Team construction.

I don't want an ECF appearance and then go back to Isiah-Layden levels of suckiness for decades or more. I'd take 2-3 EC semi appearances if it produced a chip(s) shortly after 5yrs. This isn't about Phil Jackson, this isn't about Carmelo Anthony, this isn't about colluding and cutting corners....it's about being THE MODEL franchise in the greatest city in the world.

lol @ hanging the hat on Kevin Love "New York is attractive with the Phil there" but forgetting to mention him saying..."Hey Wolves trade me now so I can be on a playoff team this Spring-April." Kevin Love is alright but he's nothing special.

And to keep it real Phil has always came in after franchises laid the groundwork for longevity success. It just proves my point in that if great decisions and moves are made success is bound to follow no matter who's playing Captain....and in our case whether Phil's at the watch or not. This time Phil has to do the grunt work from scratch, starting from the bottom. He needs to make decisions based on what's best for this franchise....not what's best for his 5yr $60mil contract and I'm out, not what's best for me and Fish are tied together, not based on the vacuum of Autonomy.

As the saying goes.....PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
Not to mention it doesn't take long to rebuild. I don't know where some get the notion that rebuilding takes decades upon decades to complete, it doesn't. I can start naming several teams now who became relevant within 3yrs by rebuilding their team primarily through the draft.

Donnie Walsh also said he was proud of the job he did here as GM because he left us in a better spot than when he took over. Well how good of a job did he do? Some would argue he left us in a very merky situation.

Donnie Walsh also went back to the team Bird constructed through the draft and has witnessed back-to-back ECF appearances.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
With no picks, the Knicks are going to have to be really bad for years before they can even talk about building through the draft. Shump maybe nets you a low first rounder and maybe Chandler can be traded but I don't see anybody giving us a 1st rounder for him.

I'm not disagreeing with you 3G4G, I think I've said before the Knicks should blow the the team up and start from scratch and Phil will be forced to do that esp. if he loses Melo but the route for rebuilding the team with Phil on board will be to clear cap space and bring in stars, let's see if he has the charisma and plan to do what Riley did in Miami.

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
With no picks, the Knicks are going to have to be really bad for years before they can even talk about building through the draft. Shump maybe nets you a low first rounder and maybe Chandler can be traded but I don't see anybody giving us a 1st rounder for him.

I'm not disagreeing with you 3G4G, I think I've said before the Knicks should blow the the team up and start from scratch and Phil will be forced to do that esp. if he loses Melo but the route for rebuilding the team with Phil on board will be to clear cap space and bring in stars, let's see if he has the charisma and plan to do what Riley did in Miami.

That's not really a realistic plan because let's be honest if Lebron/Wade/Bosh don't collude Riley is irrelevant. Then you have to have a caliber of player availability that rivals such prospect of team building. There aren't any in the 1yr window. The only potential significant Big Fish is Durant and even then that's a pipe dream 2yrs away.... although hopefully we still leave an option open to attract him. In the interim there are players who want to win now and we have limitations to put pieces together to achieve this.

Melo S&T for some picks(2 1rst and a 2nd) next yrs draft and possibly the one after and expiring getting us below the Tax apron

Shump for a pick(1rst) in this yrs draft

Chandler for a pick(1rst) in next yrs draft(may have to take back some salary)

Purchase a pick(best pick possible) in this yrs draft

2015 1rst

Do the math Tig that should be about 5-6picks by the time 2015 team is forming into shape. If it's a trade with Chicago it should net us at least 1 lottery pick(they have several picks), plus our own which should be lottery in 2015. Plus a couple more 1rst and a couple 2nd rounders. It's not hard to do.

Kiyaman

Legend

The Knicks biggest 50 yr problem lie in having a poor coaching-staff, plus the jealousy of NBA teams of the Knicks organization gross-profit for 40 consecutive seasons. Trades were always hard for the Knicks.
Knicks coach Pat Riley in 1989-91 had to find star-players in the CBA League, Starks & Anthony Mason.

Phil Jackson eliminated the Knicks biggest losing problem when he FIRED the entire Knicks coaching-staff.
Plus hiring a young HC Derek Fisher to give the Knicks a winning future.
Those actions were the first priority of building a winning Knicks team.