Chemistry Key for Undefeated Summer Knicks

gmf1369

Benchwarmer
Las Vegas -- As the Knicks await the tournament stage of Summer League, they find themselves in a much different position than they were a year ago; a more talented roster, combined with a collective focus instilled by a new coaching staff, has propelled this group to a 3-0 start. In the process, they’ve provided hope for the upcoming season with their enthusiasm and inspired team play.

These (mostly) young Knicks are in the early stages of learning the Triangle offense, but for the most part, they are making it look easy. And when it stalls, they go back to basics: communicate more, cut harder, and make a play for a teammate.

Perhaps they’re running a simplified version of what is known as one of the most complex systems in basketball, but the team has bought in and the results are promising; they’ve won their three games by an average of 12.3 points – two blowouts and a gritty, two-point victory over Portland in which they rallied back to win on a Shane Larkin runner.

“You keep on grinding it out,” says Tim Hardaway Jr., who has been one of the Knicks’ most vocal leaders while pouring in 20.7 points per game. “Keep on communicating, keep on being passionate and things will work out.”
His players credit coach Derek Fisher and his staff for emphasizing trust and teamwork and thanks to the high-character makeup of the roster, New York has thrived in an atmosphere usually dominated by isolation play and communication breakdowns.

“We’re working together as a team, that’s the main thing,” said eight-year veteran and Triangle expert Shannon Brown, after New York demolished Charlotte by 23 points on Monday. “The coaches are doing a great job of explaining the triangle and what we’re trying to accomplish out there and we’re making it happen. We’re just out there having fun playing basketball and learning in the process.”

Both the fun and the learning are evident when you watch this team play. In less than two weeks, Fisher – who elected to coach the squad because he was anxious to “get after it” – and his staff have them embracing the nuances of a new system, making effort plays and constantly encouraging each other on the court and from the sidelines.
“It’s contagious,” says Brown.

On a team full of great teammates, no one embodies this spirit more than Thanasis “Tenacious” Antetokounmpo, the exuberant rookie who knows his limitations but won’t let them slow him down: “I’m a good defensive player. I play hard every time, 100 percent effort. And the offense, I make everybody else comfortable.”

It’s no accident that this group has been such a joy to watch play together. There’s no shortage of talent, but Larkin’s teammates echo his contention that the combination of team-first players and strong leadership have made this a unique situation.

“That’s something that’s emphasized throughout the coaching staff,” he says. “If you’re not playing, you’re just as important as the guy on the court making the plays. That’s the kind of guys we brought in, but also the emphasis the coaching staff put on that side of the game.”

This approach has carried the Knicks through their first three games and allowed them to stay together when things inevitably get bogged down. Against the Blazers, they struggled with spacing in the first half, but because they communicated and kept fighting, they were in position to win at the end.
Although these wins won’t count toward the Knicks’ playoff push this coming season, important work is being done to build a culture that will; no fewer than five Summer Knicks figure to play significant roles in New York’s rotation, so Fisher’s players are gaining valuable experience.

“The first thing he always says is trust your teammates and play for each other,” says Jeremy Tyler, who has looked very comfortable as a facilitator out of the pinch post while averaging 11.3 points and 5.7 rebounds per contest.

The next test comes on Thursday as New York opens tournament play against the winner of Denver and the D-League select team at 10:30pm EST.

I've managed to catch all the Knicks summer games so far and they have been a lot of fun. The team plays extremely hard and the bench guys go crazy for big plays. Not much reason to think it will translate to the real team, but at least all signs have been positive for Fisher and company at this point.

tiger0330

Legend
WTF, no mention of Cleanthony in this article. Phil said he could play, is he good enough to be Melo's backup off the bench, what do you guys think.

gmf1369

Benchwarmer
Why Cleanthony Early hasn?t sold Phil as Carmelo?s backup

Marc Berman --The player many regard as the steal of the second round so far hasn’t been the boon of the Las Vegas summer league.

Knicks rookie Cleanthony Early, selected 34th out of the Bronx and Middletown via Wichita State, still must show the Knicks he can be Carmelo Anthony’s backup at small forward. Early is the only legitimate small forward on the Knicks roster, and team president Phil Jackson is hoping he can fill the bill.

Nevertheless, Jackson also has investigated adding another small forward to the band.
“Early’s looking good, but he’s still green,’’ Jackson said.

Early has played in two of the first three summer league games, missing the last one with a sprained ankle. Early is expected to play Thursday when the Knicks start the knockout round of summer-league action against the winner of the Denver-D-League select game.

Early scored 13 points in the opener, hitting 3-of-4 shots from 3-point range, and highlighted his day with a driving dunk over veteran Ivan Johnson, but he struggled with his shot in Game 2, going 3-of-8.

“He still hasn’t shown he wants to put the ball on the floor,’’ one NBA scout told The Post. “But his defense is good. He plays hard.’’
Early will go down as Jackson’s first draft pick as an executive. The Knicks had Early on their board anywhere from the 16th pick to the 23rd.

Early is so enthusiastic about working under Jackson, he’s reading one of Jackson’s many books to, as Early said, “get a head start.’’

“I think a lot of people like Early, and I think one of the hesitations is, in this weird world we’re in now, is that he is 23 years old,’’ Jackson said on an MSG Network broadcast this week. “People are looking for 19-, 20-year-old players to come in, and we said we want a mature player. Get a guy that maybe … can step in the lineup and start playing. A lot of kids, they are still developing physically. He is a developed player physically.’’

Scouts, however, believe Early must get stronger and still has a lot to prove in Las Vegas and training camp.
Despite his critics, nobody can wipe the smile off Early’s face.

“I smile all the time,’’ Early said. “I’m happy. I live life.’’

tiger0330

Legend
In the modern NBA when so many players stay for only one year of college it is bizarre that that guys drop in the draft because they come into the league at what's now considered an out of your prime 23. I am rooting for Early, he's from the Bronx where I grew up and everyone loves an underdog like him. You've heard the story didn't get a whiff from a division 1 program, played ball at Sullivan County CC for two years before going to Witchita and starring in his senior year.

tiger0330

Legend
Knicks triangle offense breakdown, interesting.

Thanks for this, very informative. PnR has been a big part of D'ants and Woody's offense for the last 7 years, so this is going to be a different look from the Knicks this year with the triangle. Can't argue with 11/24 Finals winners ran the triangle, probably all teams coached by PJ I bet.

gmf1369

Benchwarmer
Knicks Beat D-League Selects to Remain Undefeated

NY Made -- After a slow start, the Knicks regrouped to defeat the D-League Select team, 80-73, and remain undefeated in Las Vegas.

Led by another stellar performance from Tim Hardaway Jr. (25 points) and Shane Larkin (14 points, five assists and five steals), New York bounced back from a nine-point deficit at the end of the first to tie the game at 36 by halftime.

In the 3rd quarter, Derek Fisher's squad turned up the defensive pressure and opened up a 15-point advantage heading to the 4th. By forcing 20 total turnovers, the Knicks were able to cruise to their fourth straight victory. Their next game will be Saturday against Charlotte on MSG Network.

Caseyr

Rookie
NY Made -- After a slow start, the Knicks regrouped to defeat the D-League Select team, 80-73, and remain undefeated in Las Vegas.

Led by another stellar performance from Tim Hardaway Jr. (25 points) and Shane Larkin (14 points, five assists and five steals), New York bounced back from a nine-point deficit at the end of the first to tie the game at 36 by halftime.

In the 3rd quarter, Derek Fisher's squad turned up the defensive pressure and opened up a 15-point advantage heading to the 4th. By forcing 20 total turnovers, the Knicks were able to cruise to their fourth straight victory. Their next game will be Saturday against Charlotte on MSG Network.
I really think tim is gonna take the next step

gmf1369

Benchwarmer
I really think tim is gonna take the next step

I think he already has evolved his game to the next level... Especially in this offensive scheme (triangle) he is able to attack more... Now the only thing that may hold him back is if he comes off the bench... He has enough potential to be the starting two guard, so we will see if they give him that chance...

Could see us going with a small lineup again this year with Tim at the Two-Spot & possibly Shump at the Small Forward position...

I know most don't like the idea to have Melo at the 4, but he is a successful low post weapon on offense which can create match up problems and is a better defender in the post than out on the wing... As long as Anthony buys into the triangle offense he could become more of a facilitator, racking up those assists -- team player???

Wait n See approach...

Knicks and Hornets in the Summer League Quarterfinals today at 4pm. As mentioned above, watch THJ continue to make a case that, without dispute, he has to be our starting 2 guard this coming season.

Fun first half of Summer League play. THJ and Larkin continue to shine and Early has his moments as well. Overall, the most encouraging thing continues to be the good team basketball on both ends of the court. Not sure if Fisher can make this all work with our current projected starters, but if he can, with a heavy hand from PJ as well, this will be a much more fun season than last year.