How to Trim the Knicks Roster?

gmf1369

Benchwarmer
NYHS -- The New York Knicks roster as it currently stands, has 17 players under contract and a group of other players vying for a roster spot. Once the NBA regular season commences, each team is only allowed 15 players on the roster on any given night. 12 players in uniform and 3 reserves. Here is how the current Knicks roster looks.

Point Guards – Jose Calderon, Pablo Prigioni, Shane Larkin

Shooting Guards – J.R. Smith, Iman Shumpert, Tim Hardaway Jr., Wayne Ellington

Small Forwards – Carmelo Anthony, Cleanthony Early, Thanasis Antetokounmpo

Power Forwards – Amare Stoudemire, Andrea Bargnani, Jason Smith, Jeremy Tyler, Louis Labeyrie

Center – Samuel Dalembert, Cole Aldrich

In addition to those 17 players, the Knicks also have other decisions to make. Kenyon Martin and Toure Murry have been in contact with the Knicks, and both want to return. Shannon Brown played quality minutes for the Knicks last season and is currently on their summer league roster, trying to earn his way back onto the Knicks. That is an extra three players trying to battle their way onto the roster, for a total of 20 players trying to make the team. What can the Knicks do to trim it down to 15?

rumors around social media is if Phil Jackson can not find a suitor for Wayne Ellington they are seriously considering waiving him... Even with that move if we intend to bring back Kenyon Martin we still would be at 17, with Labeyrie in Europe and Antetokounmpo probably in the D-League it should be a top consideration...

There is no doubt in my mind that Early will be on this roster this year, along with Tyler who is having an impressive Summer League outing... In the end, Shannon Brown seems to be a long shot since we are guard heavy unless they let Prigioni go... I actually think there is a chance they let Pablo Prigioni go anyways to open the door for the likes of Murry, Antetokounmpo, Brown, or an unknown player...

My 15: Actually 14 leaving door open for one

Point Guards - J. Calderon, Shane Larkin
Shooting Guards - JR Smith, I. Shumpert, T. Hardaway Jr.
Small Forwards - C. Anthony, C. Early
Power Forwards - K. Martin, J. Smith, A. Stoudemire, A. Bargnani
Center - S. Dalembert, J. Tyler, C. Aldrich

I like Antetokounmpo to make the roster or bring back Toure Murry at the point to be the 15th roster spot...

tiger0330

Legend
KMart is a long shot without a guaranteed contract.

Depending what Ante does in training camp will determine whether he begins the season on the roster but I think he spends his time in the D-League this season regardless, he really is raw.

Prigoni is coming back, he's solid and his contract is guaranteed. Lot of vets on the team, as disappointing as they were last year maybe they surprise this year.

We can't afford another season of an endless string of injuries to veteran role players. It's time to get younger. I'm all for players like Larkin, Ante, Tyler, Aldrich, and Murry getting roster and even rotation spots instead of KMart or another last minute veteran signing, assuming that they earn those spots by playing well. That said, I don't think this will be the season to see an influx of new blood in the rotation because you know that Dalembert, Jason Smith, Melo, Early, Stat, Bargnani, THJ, Shump, JR Smith, Calderon, and Prigs are already likely rotation guys to start the year, which is an already too big 11-man rotation. Fortuntately, there is no chance on earth that our rotation will include half those guys at the start of the 2015 season, so then will be a chance for our more fresh start.