Dick Bavetta retires/Violet Palmer

tiger0330

Legend
I've been wondering the last few years when he was going to retire. He has got to be the longest tenured referee in sports.

Violet Palmer announced she is gay. She's getting married to her partner of 20 years so I guess she had to come out.

Last edited:

Tkf

Benchwarmer
I really liked Bavetta, hate he is leaving..

violet palmer.. who cares what her sexual preference is.... all of these people coming out of the close? why? is this bit of information going to make her officiate the game better? I already had my doubts about here anyway.. as long as she does her job well, who cares...

tiger0330

Legend
What a great record, essentially the guy never called in sick for 39 years.

NEW YORK -- NBA referee Dick Bavetta is retiring after a 39-year career in which he never missed an assignment.

Dick Bavetta officiated a record 2,635 consecutive NBA regular-season games after starting his career on Dec. 2, 1975.

Bavetta officiated a record 2,635 consecutive regular-season games after starting his NBA career on Dec. 2, 1975. He also worked 270 playoff games, including 27 in the NBA Finals.

NBA president Rod Thorn says Tuesday in a statement that the league is "grateful for his contributions to our league, and we wish him the best as he enjoys his well-earned retirement."

Bavetta, 74, also worked the 1992 Olympics, the first involving NBA players, and has officiated in leagues in New York and New Jersey. He is most proud of his streak, which last season surpassed even the 2,632 consecutive games played by baseball ironman Cal Ripken Jr.

Bavetta says, "It really has been a great run.