How Fisher can change Melo's game

Kiyaman

Legend
I seen this article by Ian Begley, and wonder if its possible?

In fact, as soon as Anthony re-signed with the Knicks, Fisher handed Anthony a playbook with the team?s new triangle offense.

?I speak to him all the time,? Anthony said of Fisher, according to an article posted on PrimeraHora.com and translated by ESPN Deportes' Marly Rivera. ?He is as excited to start this season as I am, which you don?t see very often in coaches. Usually you see coaches that worry about you, that call you to check how you are and what you need. And he has already developed a good relationship with me in that sense. I believe that our relationship will be very positive.?

Fisher relationship with Anthony -- and, more importantly, his affect on Anthony?s performance on the court -- will be one of the more interesting aspects of this Knicks season.

Below, we take a look at some of the aspects of Anthony?s game that Fisher can impact:

1. Late-game scoring: Last season, Carmelo?s shooting percentage dipped significantly late in games. He shot 47.9 percent from the field in the first quarter, 49.3 percent in the second quarter and 45.2 percent in the third quarter. But in the fourth quarter, Anthony shot just 38.0 percent from the field. In overtime, that number dipped to 30 percent. Anthony also struggled late in close games, going 1-for-12 on potential game-tying or game-winning baskets in the final 30 seconds. He was 1-for-7 in those scenarios in the previous season.

Was this due to fatigue? Was it a product of defenses keying in on Anthony late in games? Was it the Knicks? overreliance on Anthony on offense?

Fisher may have the solution to those problems. Phil Jackson said recently that he is confident that Fisher can keep the ball from sticking in Anthony?s hands on offense.
?You always have to have someone who is strong enough to tell your major player ?I'm not going here with the ball with you right now. We have other guys who have to be involved in the offense, we have a system we want to run.?.

The reason I wonder if this is possible......
The only players I can recall that kept the ball out of Melo hands late in the game were PG-Billups, PG-Lin, and PG-Kidd.
I do recall PG-Fisher, and PG-Ron Harper were the only NBA players able to keep the ball out of Kobe Bryant hands late in games. Will Fisher be able to do the same as a head coach?

tiger0330

Legend
I'm more worried about how Melo is going to play now that his fat contract is in the bag. Not saying he's going to loaf but it's not unusual for guys to fall off after signing a big contract.

Looking forward to seeing the triangle after seeing the D'Antoni offense and Woody's copycat version of it. It's definitely different, let's see if it translates to wins. I think we'll be a better defensive team with Dally and Acy even with Calderon.

Broadway

All Star
I'm more worried about how Melo is going to play now that his fat contract is in the bag. Not saying he's going to loaf but it's not unusual for guys to fall off after signing a big contract.

Looking forward to seeing the triangle after seeing the D'Antoni offense and Woody's copycat version of it. It's definitely different, let's see if it translates to wins. I think we'll be a better defensive team with Dally and Acy even with Calderon.

Melo has all authority....No Trade Clause, An Opt Out, A Trade Kicker and an army of 300 Sparta multiplied by those in training ready to die

Phil will go down when the ship begins taking on water. I don't see these two as a winning recipe. Not when 1 is about championships and the other about printed and minted currency.

Last edited:

Tkf

Benchwarmer

so you think we will be better defensively after getting rid of chandler former DPOY, and felton who was adequate not great.. and replacing them with Dalembert who is ready for the glue factory, some Acy kid who might not see the floor and calderon who is horrible on defense... really?

tiger0330

Legend

Kiyaman

Legend
Melo has all authority....No Trade Clause, An Opt Out, A Trade Kicker and an army of 300 Sparta multiplied by those in training ready to die

Phil will go down when the ship begins taking on water. I don't see these two as a winning recipe. Not when 1 is about championships and the other about printed and minted currency.

Melo still runs Knicks. Warkentein retained.

Mark Warkentien, the Knicks Director of Player Personnel, has re-signed with the club after nearly taking a similar position with the Memphis Grizzlies, the Daily News has learned.

Warkentien's future in New York was unclear after Phil Jackson was hired as president. There were initial reports of a front office shake-up, but Jackson instead retained Steve Mills as general manager. In fact, Mills was a candidate to become executive director of the NBA players union, but ultimately withdrew his name because of his position with the Knicks.

Warkentien, like Mills, is a favorite of Garden Chairman James Dolan. Warkentein is also represented by CAA, the same agency that represents Carmelo Anthony, J.R. Smith and assistant GM Allan Houston.

Warkentien, 61, was the Vice President of Basketball Operations for the Nuggets before being hired three years ago as a consultant to former Knicks president Donnie Walsh. Five months later, the Knicks acquired Anthony from the Nuggets.

Yahoo reported that Memphis has hired long time executive Ed Stefanski as their VP of player personnel.

Well what can you say. The guy was an executive with the Denver Nuggets and Anthony sent him to New York. New York hired him and he facilitated the trade to acquire Anthony from Denver. He was supposed to be sent packing so that Jackson could bring in his own people.

Yet that has changed. First Phil Jackson was forced to retain Steve Mills. Now he has been forced to retain CAA and Anthony Executive Mark Warkentein.

With Anthony getting a max deal, 15% kicker, and trade clause.... he clearly runs the team.
I wonder how the famous "ZEN" and coach Fisher felt when they read "Melo doesn't expect Knicks to win this year"?

It's up to Phil/Fisher to pull some tricks from up their sleeve to show fans Melo is just another veteran scorer "role-player", by giving 2nd season scorer Tim Hardaway Jr. the same role as Melo on offense, but as a SG.
What makes Melo and THJ a offensive role-player are their poor passing-skills, and their cluelessness on the defensive-end when switching.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
I think I know what you mean but to be clear, you don't Melo stifle the offense. Phil like many fans pointed out that the offense can't stop when the ball gets in Melo's hands (isolation ball is out). I completely agree. But I think (hope) Melo is past that. I'm really interested to see what he JR and Stats can do in this offense.