Carmelo Anthony Is Not Fit For The Triangle Offense

tiger0330

Legend
This guy's article is something I've had thoughts on that I've posted 'but Melo has been playing ISO ball for his entire career and his one year at Syracuse. Can you change a guy's game after 11 years and do you want to, when he might be arguably the best scorer in the NBA, with this triangle offense.

Like the writer says it's too early and not a large enough sample size but there is a possibility that Melo and the triangle offense are not compatible, what should the Knicks do if it's a losing season in January, scrap the triangle, have more patience or look to trade Melo. What do you think?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jorda...y_1_b_6115130.html?utm_hp_ref=carmelo-anthony

Carmelo Anthony is too talented and versatile a scorer not to put up big numbers. You might say that other than reigning MVP Kevin Durant, there isn't a more natural scorer than Anthony. And yet, five games into the Derek Fisher/Phil Jackson-era New York Knicks, it has become evident the triangle offense does not highlight Anthony's strengths.

To be fair, it will take time for him to adapt to it. But sub-41 percent shooting and a 19-point scoring average represent the lowest totals of his 12-year career. Anthony may not be Michael Jordan or Kobe Bryant -- two megastars who excelled in Jackson's triangle -- but he is a former scoring champ not accustomed to operating within a ball-movement-based concept that features an entire team and not just one player.

Anthony's woes may have reached a boiling point during a miserable 5-21 shooting performance in Wednesday night's 98-95 loss to lowly Detroit. It came the day after he missed 15 of his 23 attempts in another Knicks loss. It was "one of those nights it's not going in," he said Wednesday. "Unfortunately, it's two nights in a row for me."

Fisher is hoping his 30-year-old scoring dynamo eventually will adjust to an offense very few teams run, but that has proven highly effective when run properly. This isn't an unrealistic hope. Five games may be a small sample size, but teams are not defending him differently than in years past. Much was made about Anthony's 15-lb. weight loss during the summer to give him more durability and more quickness to attack the paint. And while he may appear a step faster, a key factor in determining his struggles in the triangle is the lack of free-throw attempts. The seven-time All-Star has shown both a lack of desire and lack of comfort in attacking the rim, compiling a mere four free-throw shots per game. Considering that's nearly half his career average, it's clear Anthony's issues are more than just the ball "not going in," as he said following the loss to the Pistons.

Fisher's challenge as a first-year coach becomes amplified because he now has to worry about how to generate not just an efficient half-court offense for his team, but also for the one guy he was counting on to give him 25-plus every night.

"The toughest part of this early on," Fisher said, "when you're still trying to figure out who you are within what we do, is to still trust it and have faith that things will work out without reverting back to what you normally do in these situations. That's tough for guys to do, when the game is getting away from you. The feeling for each guy is I can do it, I can help us get this back. It's actually the reverse. We have to stay together even more."

Staying together over the course of an 82-game season is hard enough, but doing so with an inexperienced coach, a losing team and a superstar mired in a brutal scoring slump to start the year is even harder. We are learning about that plenty in Cleveland. Meanwhile, Anthony -- who committed seven turnovers in a recent home loss to Washington -- will have to learn that he cannot be the chronic ball-stopper within an offense predicated off of ball movement, screening, spacing and cutting. Doing so requires sacrificing ego for the team, and I'm not sure we've ever seen that from a guy who's won just three playoff series and has compiled the single worst postseason record in league history.

paris401

Starter
Like the writer says it's too early and not a large enough sample size but there is a possibility that Melo and the triangle offense are not compatible, what should the Knicks do if it's a losing season in January, scrap the triangle, have more patience or look to trade Melo. What do you think?http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jorda...y_1_b_6115130.html?utm_hp_ref=carmelo-anthony

can he be traded?? does he have any type of no-trade clause in his contract??... he'd be easy to move, espec with the contract-discount he gave us...

tiger0330

Legend
Forgot about his no-trade clause. Melo would have the right to pick when he leaves the Knicks and where he goes if he decides he wants to be traded. That's why PJ was able to pay him 5M less.

paris401

Starter
supposedly he has a no-trade clause, which only means he can veto a trade, ie go to the team of his choose...he has an opt-out in year 5... at least that's something to look forward to....

Paul1355

All Star
Disagree...Melo is on a level that he can adjust to any system and be effective. The triangle is not being taught and Melo's supporting cast sucks monkey nuts. That's why we are blaming Melo, because his team is so bad we are trying to make it easy and blame one guy and thats it. This has multiple issues, and Melo is not one of them. The system is the not the issue it's those implementing it and guys that simply are too selfish and/or unintelligent to grasp it.

the problem is not so much a player, is that most players are not fit mentally and physically. If a team cannot back from several defeats, then you have a red flag there. When players are "sweating" before they even performed something relevant for the squad as well that's another red flag. I am sure that no other than PJ can help to implement a system that he made a success of...and with a couple of good additions will not just improve the Knicks squad as well as the individual status of Melo. only then we get to be back in 73...

groundpilot

Benchwarmer
Forgot about his no-trade clause. Melo would have the right to pick when he leaves the Knicks and where he goes if he decides he wants to be traded. That's why PJ was able to pay him 5M less.

Huge mistake by an inexperienced GM right there. If Dolan gave Phil no choice(i suspect Phil didnt want to sign Melo), he should have paid $5 mil and wave no-trade clause. Now he is stock with him for 5 years, and is at his mercy. Good for Melo, bad for team business.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
Huge mistake by an inexperienced GM right there. If Dolan gave Phil no choice(i suspect Phil didnt want to sign Melo), he should have paid $5 mil and wave no-trade clause. Now he is stock with him for 5 years, and is at his mercy. Good for Melo, bad for team business.
Yeah, bad deal for the Knicks esp. when you consider he has a 17M lump sum trade kicker in his contract. Jax traded the rights to trade him and 17M if he does agree to be traded for 5M. Heaven help the Knicks if PJ makes similar decisions in the future with this team. I said the PJ years may well be worse than the Isiah Thomas years because of that lack of experience he has.

Kiyaman

Legend

I don't think Phil Jackson were a part of the private discussion between "Melo and Dolan" resigning ($124M).
We can't forget in 2011. Dolan flew to Denver to get Melo.

Kiyaman

Legend
Disagree...Melo is on a level that he can adjust to any system and be effective.

We all wish that was true, especially some of Melo ex-teammates (AI, K-Mart, Billups, Kidd, ect), who all tried to get Melo to play to 2 to 4 different tempo n beats in a game.
Melo performance don't give consistent team-ballin on any side of the court.
Another Ray Allen before becoming a BIG-3

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
Couple of things to keep in mind. One, much of the news is speculation and two much of it is manufactured stories. For that reason I don't put much stock in any story I read. That being said, its too early to grade Melo. New system, new coach and he's the only one being productive. The surrounding cast is terrible. No need to go down the list. I like Hardaway but everyone should be on the table for the right deal.

We really need to give it one more year before we rip the whole thing apart. Let's see if we can get the number 1 pick and bring in some good free agents in the same year. Someone mentioned Arron Affalo or may be Andre Drummond.

jimkcchief88

All Star
See this why we miss u around here Don; A voice of REASON. We are in the midst of a rebuilding project guys. This is year one...Melo is just one piece...CHILLAX

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk