the " i love jr' thread

tiger0330

Legend
His dad loves him and so does Coach Fisher or so it seems from his post game interview. Fisher said he had no problems with JR taking the last shot last night.

JR is going to at least be offered in deals but it's going to be hard to deal him given the Knicks lack of draft picks to package with him, the only incentive for a team to take him would be to dump a long term contract of their own ie Roy Hibbert.

Two seasons ago when JR Smith won 6th Man of the Year, there was a stretch in the late Winter where we went on a huge winning streak heavily because of his play where he was fearless and drove to the hoop over and over making great plays. I loved him for those 2 weeks, but never before and never since.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Two seasons ago when JR Smith won 6th Man of the Year, there was a stretch in the late Winter where we went on a huge winning streak heavily because of his play where he was fearless and drove to the hoop over and over making great plays. I loved him for those 2 weeks, but never before and never since.
This is what I don't get. When J.R. drives to the hoop he's one of the hardest players to stop. When he's on a roll he does EVERYTHING. Slashing, shooting, passing, defending, you name it. If he played that way all the time he'd be a bigger star than Melo. It's not one of those cases where a player showed signs of a talent once in a blue moon, it's not a case where a player goes on a historic stretch such as Linsanity, this is a case of a player who has shown he can do this with regularity, but for whatever reason doesn't. Despite a lot of critics Smith actually IS a team player. He isn't selfish with the ball. It's his lack of aggressiveness with attacking the rim that's a problem. If I was the coach I'd be constantly telling him to slash to score or set up a teammate. I hope he picks things up sooner than later like last season.

Kiyaman

Legend
JR is going to at least be offered in deals but it's going to be hard to deal him given the Knicks lack of draft picks to package with him, the only incentive for a team to take him would be to dump a long term contract of their own ie Roy Hibbert.

If JR would've hit the shot his trade worth would've remain the same, missing that shot JR trade worth drop tremendously.
If Phil give away a draft pick to trade any of the players on this $90M salary cap roster, Phil is FIRED, at least by me.
Hibbert need a real PF, a Rasheed Wallace type at the 4.
Melo at the 4 with Hibbert at center would be a losing frontline.
No different than Tyson n Dally.

The Denver Nuggets GM Kiki Vandeweigh tried every possible way to give Iso-Melo a winning postseason team, but Iso-Melo scoring talent was high, and his team-balling n defense was at a all time low.

rady

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't seen the game but i watched several times the final play from all available angles. Melo was asking for the ball, so they must have a play where Anthony is taking the last shot - this was probably what the Magic were expecting too - but i think JR saw a better option with him nailing the three and tried to outsmart Orlando. It wasn't a good shot, not even close but he made way more stupider decisions than this one. Had he made it (regardless of his poor shooting that night) this thread wouldn't have had quotes in the title

tiger0330

Legend
I can't blame JR for taking the shot. 3 seconds left, he was the only one on the side of the court that the ball was inbounded from that worked himself free to receive the entry pass and if he passed it to Melo it would have been a tough pass because Melo was far from open. It was a low percentage shot JR took but did he have a choice. It was the right decision to take the shot.

Kiyaman

Legend
The game win or loss goes straight to coach Fish.

Its Fisher decision to go for the tie, or the 3-ball win with 3 seconds on the game-clock?
It's also Fish decision who takes out the ball (Prig)
who receive the inbound pass (JR),
and who take the last shot (Melo)?

If OKC was in this situation, a 6.10 Ibaka takes out the ball, Westbrook receive the inbound pass looking for Durant to take the shot.
But we all know Westbrook .. 50 50 chance Durant gets the ball.

Kiyaman

Legend
Ron Artest spreads some luv on JR ......

Metta World Peace Convinced Screaming Match With J.R. Smith Led To Knicks? Release

Metta World Peace is convinced a near brawl with teammate J.R. Smith is what suddenly brought his run with his hometown New York Knicks to an end.

Now playing in China, the man formerly known as Ron Artest told the New York Post ?I?m too direct,?? apparently alluding to the locker room screaming match he engaged in with Smith over what he saw as his lack of defensive effort. ?If someone is not playing defense or not giving effort, that?s my specialty. I don?t hold back on my words? I said some things directly to J.R. Smith in the locker room and he challenged me back, said some direct things to me.?

When Phil Jackson was named team president of the Knicks, World Peace said both he and his agent reached out to the Zen Master in hopes of garnering a return engagement but never heard back.

?I don?t understand why they didn?t sign me,?? World Peace said. ?But then again, I?m very direct. You don?t hold nothing back when things are going wrong. You have to tell Melo [Carmelo Anthony] when he?s being lazy. You have to speak about these things, so when the playoffs come, everyone knows where everybody stands.??
With the Knicks struggling with Jackson?s triangle offense as they are, the team could certainly probably use World Peace?s versatility of knowledge of the offense.

?When I was drafted, the Bulls [with coach Tim Floyd] ran the triangle,? he said. ?I pretty much got to know the triangle with the Lakers. It?s not that hard. What it is, its movement and knowing how to play off the ball. It?s a winning offense that won 11 rings.??

World Peace has also recently being rumored to be drawing potential interest from several other NBA teams, including the Los Angeles Clippers. Over the last several days, coach Doc Rivers has blasted his team for being soft and could be looking to add toughness with the addition of someone as rugged as World Peace.

I don't know man, this is your classic ex-player telling a tale that makes him sound like a superhero. I don't know if I believe one word that reportedly ever came out of Artest's mouth.

paris401

Starter
It's also Fish decision who takes out the ball (Prig)
who receive the inbound pass (JR),
and who take the last shot (Melo)?

If OKC was in this situation, a 6.10 Ibaka takes out the ball, Westbrook receive the inbound pass looking for Durant to take the shot.
But we all know Westbrook .. 50 50 chance Durant gets the ball.

that's pretty good odds on okc... its a lots less then 50/50, when jr gets his hands on it...