Informal Game Thread - Knicks vs Nuggets - November 16, 2014

Trying to end a 7 game losing streak on a Sunday afternoon. Basically, Old Knicks vs New Knicks and both teams are having awful seasons so far. Always fun to see a lot of our former players, but definitely don't want to get outplayed by them on our home court. Let's go Knicks!

They are mad bombing 3 pointers against us in the first few minutes, including a 4 point play. Affalo with 10 points in 3 minutes.

Sometimes you watch teams with bad records play and you wonder how their record is so bad. Watching this game so far today, you can totally see why both these teams have bad records. Just very sloppy play and poor execution. We are now up by 8 and unlike Utah, I don't think Denver has a scorer who is going to keep Denver in this game. Maybe Affalo, we'll see.

JR Smith playing well so far. 9 points on above 50% shooting with 3 or 4 assists and a couple steals. We're only halfway through the 2nd quarter, but maybe finally getting to start will suit JR. I'll engage in any kind of wishful thinking that by some miracle may increase his trade value.

I know some people on this board love Kenneth Faried and he's a nice player, but no way is he worth 12 million a season.

This may turn into a laugher soon. Melo is 7 for 9 from the field and we are now up by 18 with a few minutes to go in the 2nd quarter. This is a bad Denver team right now and with Faried, Gallinari, McGee, and Lawson all on the books for almost a combined 50 million next year, I don't envy their position, even as bad as we have looked this year.

Maybe a defining moment for Derek Fisher's early coaching career. Coach Fisher literally just called a timeout as JR Smith was in his shooting motion on an isolation play for a long range jumper late in the 2nd quarter. JR cans the jumper, but it doesn't count and during the timeout Fisher chews them out over something, despite the 19 point lead. Out of the timeout, Knicks run a play where Prigioni scores easily on a layup.

We outscored Denver 31 to 8 in the 2nd quarter. Denver doesn't hit a field goal for the first 11 minutes and 59 seconds of the 2nd quarter and no, you didn't read that wrong. Denver is an awful team right now, but we did our part, too. Melo, JR Smith, Dalembert, and Prigioni all looked very good in that 1st half.

tiger0330

Legend
Thanks for the thread. Wouldn't you know I would be watching the Giants game when the Knicks seem ready to break their losing streak. The Nuggets have to be the most disappointing team in the WC. What a game of contrasts for them with a pistol hot start in the first and almost not scoring a single FG in the second.

Shumps injury last game may have been a decision maker for DFish at the SG spot. Maybe JR should start and Shump comes off the bench.

tiger0330

Legend
I know some people on this board love Kenneth Faried and he's a nice player, but no way is he worth 12 million a season.
Javele is 10 times a worse contract. I knew they were making a mistake the day they signed him, you don't give a bonehead like him 11M/4yrs.

Yeah, McGee is definitely a much worse contract than Faried. As far as JR Smith, he is playing some unbelievable defense here in the early 3rd quarter.

This stupid Knicks team. Lead gets trimmed from 23 to 12 in the 3rd quarter. We could still find a way to lose this game apparently. C'mon. Let's go Knicks!

JR with a beautiful drive for a layup to get to 20 points. The lineup of JR, Melo, Stat, Larkin, and Acy has reasserted Knicks control of this game. Lead back up to 15 after two JR free throws.

tiger0330

Legend
Game of runs. Knicks defense has proven they aren't capable of securing a 20 pt lead but I think they built up a big enough lead not to lose to this woeful Nuggets team, the Spurs, Warriors or Rockets would be another story.

If you were looking for a break from the misery of the last couple weeks of this season, this afternoon's game was it. JR Smith looked like a star player today in his first start of the season. We all know better than to get too excited about JR, but he definitely belongs in the starting lineup again on Tuesday, whether or not Shump plays. Lots of encouraging signs for Fisher as our head coach today as well.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
Whether Shump is ready or not JR should start. That's 2 games where the Knicks have been competitive without Shump, coach Fisher has been looking for a starting lineup that works maybe JR being in it is the one.

JR was a combo of his swashbuckling old self but lead the team in assists with 4 in this new offense.

I also think in the last 2 games there hasn't been the wide FT differential so that's a positive in showing either being more aggressive down low or fouling less two major problems in the losing streak.

Kiyaman

Legend
Thanks for the thread. Wouldn't you know I would be watching the Giants game when the Knicks seem ready to break their losing streak. The Nuggets have to be the most disappointing team in the WC. What a game of contrasts for them with a pistol hot start in the first and almost not scoring a single FG in the second.

Shumps injury last game may have been a decision maker for DFish at the SG spot. Maybe JR should start and Shump comes off the bench.

I thought the Knicks / Denver game was late .. I watch the Giants game great Defense give the poor Offense plenty of opportunities to beat the 49ers. It didn't happen!

The 2-7 Nuggets wasn't happy to watch with Brian Shaw coaching last season, nor this season.
The Giants vs 49ers game was the best choice.

JR should've been made the starter SG at the start of the 2013-14 season too.
Shump's skills/talents are a 6th man the Knicks. .

jimkcchief88

All Star
Rep points for htr10 for singlehandedly keeping this site going:) mad props on Chief!!! U r KO.com's MELO carrying the squad!!! Losing steak OVER!!!:)