Game Thread: New York Knicks @ San Antonio Spurs (2014/12/10)

rady

Administrator
Staff member
header.jpg

NYK.gif
AT.png
SAS.gif

(4-19) (16-6)

VenueTVTIME
AT&T Center, San Antonio, TXMSG8:00 PM EST

Possible starters:

quincy_acy.png
tim_duncan.png

carmelo_anthony.png
kawhi_leonard.png

amare_stoudemire.png
boris_diaw.png

jose_calderon.png
danny_green.png

iman_shumpert.png
tony_parker.png

Injury Report

New York Knicks
San Antonio Spur
Cleanthony Early - Injured Right Knee (OUT)Patty Mills - Right Shoulder Surgery (OUT)
Andrea Bargnani - Strained Right Calf (OUT)Tiago Splitter - Tightness, Right Calf (OUT)

Today in Knicks history
9zb8xFE.jpg

December 10, 2010Knicks acquire center Tyson Chandler via sign-and-trade as part of a three-team trade. Ronny Turiaf, cash considerations and a 2013 second-round draft choice were sent to Washington and Andy Rautins was sent to Dallas; Dallas sent a 2012 second-round draft choice to Washington and the draft rights to Ahmad Nivins and Giorgos Printezis to New York; Washington sent a conditional future second-round draft choice to Dallas????Also, signed free agent guard Mike Bibby.

Recent meetings
January 2, 2014In a playoff like atmosphere, the New York Knicks put together their best game of the season as they defeated the reigning Western Conference Champions 105-101 at the AT&T Center in San Antonio, TX. New York was led by Iman Shumpert?s best offensive game in a Knicks uniform as he posted a career high 27 points on 10-13 shooting (6-8 3PT), six rebounds and three steals over 31 minutes. Carmelo Anthony, in his first game back from a sprained ankle, didn?t miss a beat as he recorded 27 points on 10-20 shooting and 12 rebounds for his 12th double-double of the season. San Antonio was paced by Marco Belinelli?s 32 points and five rebounds over 33 minutes. Tony Parker added 12 points and seven assists over 34 minutes.
November 10, 2013New York was steam rolled by the San Antonio Spurs 120-89 on a Sunday afternoon at Madison Square Garden. Carmelo Anthony led the way with 16 points and eight rebounds over 35 minutes. Andrea Bargnani recorded 16 points over 26 minutes. Metta World Peace added 13 points off the bench. San Antonio was led by Long Island native Danny Green?s 24 points on 6-9 shooting from downtown and 10 rebounds over 23 minutes. Tony Parker posted 17 points and six assist over 26 minutes. Kawhi Leonard added 18 points off the bench.

Thanks for the great game thread. I have nothing to say about this team at this point. Let's just win a stupid game. Let's go Knicks!

paris401

Starter
usually we look better against the elite teams, so maybe we have a chance... will somebody please wake me from this night-mare...

Melo out for tonight. I don't wonder if it isn't the beginning of a mini-extended absence. He has been banged up and there is no harm to him getting as much time off as he needs. This is not a season to run assets into the ground.

Well, as it turns out, Melo and JR Smith are not playing for us, but the Spurs are not playing Duncan, Ginobili, Parker, or Kawhi Leonard. This game could not be less a representation of how these two teams would matchup and we obviously have a very good chance to win (much to the woe of the pro-tanking contingent)

jimkcchief88

All Star
Wow like a preseason game...imagine if u paid for tickets to see both teams second units...I was thinking about grabbing tix to next Thurdays Bulls Knicks game but I guess I should wait and see...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kiyaman

Legend
The Knicks are sitting Melo & JR .... Will that force rookie coach Fisher to start coaching a first-unit triangle lineup (Dally, Amare, Wear, Shump, Calderon as starters n finishers? Having a second-unit triangle lineup of Cole, J.Smith, Acy, THJ, and Prigioni.
The only way to teach/learn triangle are using the same 5 players in a "unit" to make mistakes, and each of the 5 players correct each other mistakes. That is not the way Fisher been coaching the past 23 games.

Fisher has been coaching just like our past 3 head-coaches (Isiah, Dantoni, Woodard) using a non-running 3 guard half-court offense where 90% of the shots are outside jumpers, and the team defense, and rebounds are pitiful.

This game feels very similar to most of our other games during our prolonged losing streak. We're playing just well enough to hang around, but in no way do we look like we're planning on surging ahead to win the game.

Stat and then Prigioni get back to back techs over the course of a minute. Can't believe this team doesn't have it in them to fight for a win, just need to see proof of it.

Kiyaman

Legend
The 3 guard offense has been the Knicks losing method since Marbury, Francis, Crawford lineup.
Fisher coaching is KILLING ME!!!

I don't buy the reported player hate for the triangle. Our offense continues to overachieve given our limited offensive assets. It's our defense and rebounding that are extremely suspect at this point. Once again we manage to hang around in the first half and keep the game competitive. Since that hasn't translated to a win in like a month, I'm not going to get too excited about the 2nd half. Let's go Knicks!

Kiyaman

Legend
I don't buy the reported player hate for the triangle. Our offense continues to overachieve given our limited offensive assets. It's our defense and rebounding that are extremely suspect at this point. Once again we manage to hang around in the first half and keep the game competitive. Since that hasn't translated to a win in like a month, I'm not going to get too excited about the 2nd half. Let's go Knicks!

Its our small-ball lineups that dont have a clue how to run the ball .. 3 guard lineup dont give us rebounds or defense, plus Acy is not a big he dont give us defense or rebounding. No rebounds give opponents 2nd and 3rd chance shots.

mafra

Legend
Well, as it turns out, Melo and JR Smith are not playing for us, but the Spurs are not playing Duncan, Ginobili, Parker, or Kawhi Leonard. This game could not be less a representation of how these two teams would matchup and we obviously have a very good chance to win (much to the woe of the pro-tanking contingent)

It's not that some of us are pro-tanking, it's more that we don't see losing as a bad thing. Knicks have been bad since trading Ewing. We're talking 14 years now. I had high expectations for this season, then Calderon got hurt, Bargnani quit, JR and Shump let everyone down by failing to pick up the slack, and Melo was unable to shoulder the burden. Instead of a good start, or a .500 run to hold the line, the team flopped to 4-10.

Reality hit home. Shump wasnt going to evolve into a mini Clyde... JR wasnt going to blossom... And that meant this team had little hope for success this season, as constructed.

This team has sold "next year" as its brand to its fans for years now. As much as I root for them to win every game... I am astute enough to realize the best thing for this team and its future. So, losing does 't bother me bc this year is already lost... I saw the film last year when TC got hurt.

i am almost shocked that the Knicks finally did something right.... And dropped ten in a row. Plummeting from 4-10 to 4-20 is a dream for us who want the top pick. I still expect the knicks to go on a 12-5 run at some point and squash that dream.... But i am tired living and dying with each and every loss.

I would never root for them to lose a game.... But after each loss, i see the light at end of tunnel and this means there is no sting this season.

let's see what roster we have next September... Then prepare for better things.

Kiyaman

Legend
u would think Fisher would have played a frontline of Dally/Stat/Wear in a lineup, then a 2nd unit frontline of Cole/J.Smith/Acy.

NO! Dum Fisher want to play lineups of Calderon/Shump/THJ, and then lineup Prigioni/Larkin/THJ
There's no Rebounds and no defense from these 3 guard lineups
Tank Tank Tank Tank

mafra

Legend
u would think Fisher would have played a frontline of Dally/Stat/Wear in a lineup, then a 2nd unit frontline of Cole/J.Smith/Acy.

NO! Dum Fisher want to play lineups of Calderon/Shump/THJ, and then lineup Prigioni/Larkin/THJ
There's no Rebounds and no defense from these 3 guard lineups
Tank Tank Tank Tank

Shump has 7 points and 5 turnovers and Marco Bellini is lighting it up. Aside from not defending or scoring or dribbling or passing... Shump looks good out there.

Not much to take away from tonight's game other than the absence of Melo and JR Smith definitely doesn't help us. Lottery ball running wild at 4 - 20. Man, we stink. I feel sorry for our guys more than I have any animosity for them. This is the kind of team that no one wants to have on their resume.