Dennis Rodman Had A Funny Response To Knicks Struggling With Phil Jackson's System

Kiyaman

Legend
The New York Knicks are a mess.

The Knicks are off to the worst start in franchise history at 4-20 and things may have just hit rock bottom when Bad Boy Dennis Rodman mocked their struggles with Phil Jackson's famous "triangle offense."

Speaking at a promotional event and wearing a Phil Jackson Knicks jersey, Rodman explained why the problem is not the offense. According to Rodman, it is not as difficult as people make it out to be, sarcastically noting "it's a triangle" (via ESPN.com). "I learned the Triangle offense in probably 15 minutes when I was in Chicago ...its not that difficult. It's just a triangle."

Rodman goes on to explain that the problem is that the players are not really running the offense.

The key to the triangle offense is ball movement, player movement, and good spacing. Things are always in motion which creates lots of scoring opportunities for everybody.

But according to Rodman, when the ball gets back to Carmelo Anthony, "everything stops" and that it seems like "nobody wants to play together with Carmelo" the way teammates of Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant did with those superstars.
Ultimately, like any great system, it is only great if those in it are committed. Right now, it sounds like the Knicks aren't committed.

Kiyaman

Legend
I wonder if Rodman would put up with Fisher type of spot-minute substitution?
Rodman didnt put up with coach Larry Brown spot-minute substitution in San Antonio.

Rodman was a legendary rebounder, but for a guy that has career averages of 7 points per game and less than 2 assists per game, yeah, I can buy that it took him 15 minutes to learn his role in the triangle offense. "Hey, Dennis, go stand around the hoop while the other 4 players pass the ball to each other and shoot."

tiger0330

Legend
Rodman was a legendary rebounder, but for a guy that has career averages of 7 points per game and less than 2 assists per game, yeah, I can buy that it took him 15 minutes to learn his role in the triangle offense. "Hey, Dennis, go stand around the hoop while the other 4 players pass the ball to each other and shoot."
Pretty much true, his main role was as a weak side defender and rebounder but he was great at it. The Knicks could use a mad dog like him.

Kiyaman

Legend

u have to admit .. Rodman did give the best screens, picks, plus control the offensive-glass in the triangle offense.
Rodman defensive performance was above the next level in every game.
I have not seen any NBA player do it better than Rodman in team-ball (as a Bad-Boy), and in Phil's triangle offense. Rodman antics made his teammates performance better.

Rodman has his reasons for blasting the Knicks players for this 4-20 MESS .. Rodman were wearing Phil's ole Knicks Jersey LOL
I too, didnt believe Phil Jackson would start a season worst than Woodson .. (4-20) Need to go 33-25 to get 37 wins.

groundpilot

Benchwarmer
It was easy for Rodman to learn the triangle system of course, because he did not have to create his own shot. It was not his job to score at all. I beleive him that he learned that system quickly, not only because of his limited involvement in the offense, but mainly because he was very smart player with high bball iq, even though he looks like a fruit cake. That, plus P.Jacksons ability to convince any of his players, even head case like Rodman to do what he whanted them to do and bring the best out of them to benefit his system.
I wish Phil was coaching this team instead of Fisher, at least for one year. I beleive he could convince Melo to play team ball instead of playing Melo system.