Calderon vs Felton...Are We Good Now!

Broadway

All Star
How are we doing in the Win-Loss department from season-to-season? Are we a much improved team? Is our offense running like a well oiled machine? Is Calderon lighting up the stat sheets?

tiger0330

Legend
Yeah, I'd have to say the early results of this trade with Dallas has been resoundingly in Big D's favor. I doubt we would be this bad with Chandler and Felton instead of Dally and Calderon but not running the PnR in this offense would have made Felton and Chandler less effective so who knows what the teams record would be with them.

Long term I'm more worried about PJs ability to build a team. So far you can't be impressed with the teams progress in the PJ era.

paris401

Starter
tiger0330;287241 Long term I'm more worried about PJs ability to build a team. So far you can't be impressed with the teams progress in the PJ era.[/QUOTE said:
ditto that... he was a solid coach.. ofcourse he had a bit of help with mj/kobe/shaq/pipen... but a good coach does not always make a good gm...the jury is still out, but so far I am not impressed

groundpilot

Benchwarmer
I am a big fan of PJ, but am very dissapointed so far. The biggest mistake he made, was trading Chandler instead of Melo. To insult the injury, he gave him a no-trade clause, a bad, bad business decision.

jzero29

Rotation player
Admittedly, The trade was a terrible one. But I think we miss chandler more then felton. Felton was always slow and lazy...Chandler always played hard, spoke out, was a leader, was a winner. You saw him swat that shoe(Knicks vs Dallas)...he hustles, uses every advantage he can. We Miss Him.That is why it was a bad trade. Because Chandler for Calderone was not equal. Felton and Dalember are prob about the same. They both suck.
Felton slow and lazy...maybe a better fit for triangle.
But I still think Calderon (who has been injured) more talent then Felton, who hasn't played with an injury also...But I assume Felton's is more like the one eddy curry and Jerome James had...that they sucks and can't be cut, so they put him on the Inactive list. We'll see if Felton plays at all this season.
Also The trade, maybe phil wanted a complete tear down...Maybe he will trade Melo, maybe he will ride this team to a first round pick, then make moves.
I am patient and will give him some time. he said going in, it's not about immediate results it's about building.
We were patient for Donnie walsh to develope and build a team...until Dolan Blew that up by forcing the Carmelo trade. Setting things back. Donnie, A builder, left. Grunnwald made some moves that are still current members of team.

So I'm giving phil a few years to turn this around. his 3rd yr, 2016-2017 there are only 2 players Guaranteed(Carmelo and Calderone)Both Phil Jackson Moves ...and team option for Hardaway Jr, who will be the only player not drafted or signed by Phil. Only Until Phil declines or takes the option on Hardaway Jr...making every player on the 2016-17 team Phil's Choice. Then I will judge him completely.
Not judging him before that Because of Bargnarni, Stat and JR smith are large parts of team this year, salary wise if not play wise. They May have been near impossible to move going into this season.
Next year he gets the pass, because he may have to make some moves that are restricted by what he had this year. his 3rd year...2016-2017...he best bring his A game. No excuses accepted.

paris401

Starter
So I'm giving phil a few years to turn this around.

have we not suffered for years... sorry but cant give him 'years'... his 1st move sucked... 'IF' ..big 'IF' he signs a major FA, then our salaries in 16/17 is 52m, not 32... and only has '3' contracts on books... he better start showing me more then he has so far... his rating uptil now is a large "F"

We were going to lose Chandler at the end of the year, so he only matters in this deal if we thought we were going to have a shot this year with him and I doubt anyone can argue that. So, for the future, it was a question of whether you'd rather have Felton or Calderon on the payroll over the next one or two years. Felton was terrible last year, not a team leader, and it doesn't seem that anyone wants to play with him. We've been atrocious with Calderon, but I'd rather be stuck with him than Felton. Also, Calderon may also be tradeable under the right circumstances without a kicker to add value, no one would have taken Felton from us if not packaged with a much better player.

Last edited:

jzero29

Rotation player
We were going to lose Chandler at the end of the year, so he only matters in this deal if we thought we were going to have a shot this year with him and I doubt anyone can argue that. So, for the future, it was a question of whether you'd rather have Felton or Chandler on the payroll over the next one or two years. Felton was terrible last year, not a team leader, and it doesn't seem that anyone wants to play with him. We've been atrocious with Calderon, but I'd rather be stuck with him than Felton. Also, Calderon may also be tradeable under the right circumstances without a kicker to add value, no one would have taken Felton from us if not packaged with a much better player.
Agree, Chandler would have kept us in the playoff hunt, but with felton leading the offense, we'd be a as good as giving the #1 seed a first round bye. Basically Dalembert and chandler were off books next year...then Felton and calderon both are under contract 2015-16...If felton plays a game for dallas I'd be surprised. Especially that they now have rondo.
have we not suffered for years... sorry but cant give him 'years'... his 1st move sucked... 'IF' ..big 'IF' he signs a major FA, then our salaries in 16/17 is 52m, not 32... and only has '3' contracts on books... he better start showing me more then he has so far... his rating uptil now is a large "F"
Yes we have endured, but that doesn't change the team, that doesn't give us the necessary fire power to win championship just because we've endured poor ownership. What we need to do, is to clean house from last year, maybe make a trade get a few picks back, Give the GM a chance to build a championship team from the bottom up.

It's not jacksons fault The team he was took over was a middle of the pack, maybe get lucky and barely make the playoffs team, Straddled with salary cap eating contracts for mediocre players.

It's not like a new guy can walk in and snap his fingers and have a different team then Phil. It's not like you can start from scratch, it takes a year to clear house of bad players, bad contracts.
I know it sucks and we deserve better, but the reason we are in the situation we are in, is because of lack of patience...
Building is the way to go. We need to get this right, no quick fixes or impulsive trades are gonna bring in a championship. No matter what we did this year, we couldn't compete against the west or even the Bulls. Not with the pieces we had...so you scrap it, like this year, take a risk, by getting ride of chandler to also get rid of felton...worst case you suck and Next year we will have a better 1st round draft pick(then a barely maybe playoff team) and also some cap room, almost 19 million in 2015-16, we're gonna sign someone...it may not be max...then we'll see what happens.There is a whole year for him to make moves still. If JR smith plays well...trade bait for teams looking for a scorer. I have no real attachment to anyone on the team. Trade'em all.

Just can't judge him in his first year...simply a poor sample size, to early in the beginning of his plan for you to judge him...leading to a possible inaccurate assessment. Because it sounds like to me you want him gone and can't see the big picture.
But longevity and consistency of GM and Coach make teams consistent. not quick fix patch jobs that plug one hole, while not bringing in sustainable talent.

A gm(walsh) with plan A, who gets 1/2 of the way through his plan, the owner(dolan) go over his head, push a trade and then give it to a temp (grunwald) who takes team on plan B, then hire a guy#3 (jackson) with plan C...Plan C first step just clean up this mess. He can't be blamed for the team being pulled in several directions the last few years. Give him time, Let him do his thing...if next years team(2015-16) is not competitive then I'd be shocked. but won't really be upset unless they are this terrible again, because we have no draft picks coming 2016-17(so being bad doesn't help) and Likely won't have much cap space left after they use some 2015-16

Last edited:

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Bring back Kenyon Martin. Chandler was nowhere nearly as good as he was in his first season with the Knicks in the seasons after.