Phil Jackson's most important signing

tiger0330

Legend
He better hire an experienced GM to oversee the draft and free agency because he's proving to be an amateur in building a team. The Dallas trade was a bust and resigning Melo to build the team around has a lot of question marks.

The team is so bad and needs an experienced front office to rebuild it, not the hacks that work in it now of Mills, Warkentien, Houston and Gabriel. PJ took a chainsaw to the Knicks coaching staff last year but should have done the same with the front office. The Knicks are in for years of rebuilding, the number of years will depend on who they're able to sign in free agency and their fortunes in drafting, PJ is not the guy to be making those decisions.

Last edited:

CoolClyde

agreed, front office needs a clean sweep, but that's how Dolan keeps his finger in the Knicks' pie, with his executive spies. I trust PJ to do the right thing in the draft and free agency, he's got a clean slate in front of him in 2015-16, so we'll see what happens.

Dallas trade wasn't a bust if you look at it realistically. We'd still stink this year with Chandler and he was leaving at the end of the season anyway. That trade saved us from being stuck with Felton for not only this year, but also next year. Calderon is hitting threes at an elite percentage and not turning the ball over. He is a huge upgrade over Felton, even if he is a limited player. No better PG than Calderon was going to come here for less than 8 million a season. Acy, Jason Smith, and Wear were good low cost signings. Give PJ one offseason before judging him. He's replacing a guy who gave up a 1st round pick to get Bargnani, so he is already ahead of the game by not giving away any assets so far.

If you are going to judge why this team is pathetic, you seriously going to blame the players who PJ brought here more than the players who were already here?

CoolClyde

Dallas trade wasn't a bust if you look at it realistically. We'd still stink this year with Chandler and he was leaving at the end of the season anyway. That trade saved us from being stuck with Felton for not only this year, but also next year. Calderon is hitting threes at an elite percentage and not turning the ball over. He is a huge upgrade over Felton, even if he is a limited player. No better PG than Calderon was going to come here for less than 8 million a season. Acy, Jason Smith, and Wear were good low cost signings. Give PJ one offseason before judging him. He's replacing a guy who gave up a 1st round pick to get Bargnani, so he is already ahead of the game by not giving away any assets so far.

If you are going to judge why this team is pathetic, you seriously going to blame the players who PJ brought here more than the players who were already here?

thank you for this post. i didn't want to get into the Dallas trade, but losing Felton was freaking key, and Calderon is an upgrade. Re Chandler, just because a player does well with another team, where he wasn't doing well with Knicks should not be an indictment against PJ, but against the team itself.

agreed, Phil has not given away assets or significant draft picks, he is gearing up for next year and the next. you've gotta have a plan, and not just Isaiah Thomas your team to tatters. admittedly, this team sucks this year, and a lot of it is learning a new concept of playing. if the players have problems grasping it, and resort back to their old ways, of course they will develop a loser mentality, because it's not working, and perhaps never will with this group. but Calderon is a keeper for now, Larkin and Acy have shown tiny flashes of brilliance, as well as Jason Smith; it's a matter of coming together as a team, and that takes time.

the biggest money-making players on this team are Melo, STAT, Bargs and JR. are they all pulling their weight? no. Are Iman and Hardway JR playing like allstars? no. but this is what Phil is stuck with until the end of year and the draft. stop jumping the gun and creating threads asking for PJ's head. time will tell, and the zenmaster is in control. not James Dolan, and that should make you feel better.

f*ck this year, grin and bear it, and whatever good comes in way of wins or deals will only be our saving grace.

tiger0330

Legend
I'm not calling for Phil Jacksons head just yet but to go into a draft where the the Knicks might have the number one pick this year and with cap space to sign FAs, having Phil running the show as the GM is risky, when he first joined the Knicks there was talk of him hiring an experienced GM because of his lack of experience. He hasn't done anything so far to prove he's anything but a rookie GM.

The Dallas trade was a bust if his goal this season was to win and make the playoffs, the Knicks record and worst start in history proves that. Calderon has been meh so far, not a great defender and other than an occasional good outside shooting game he's been a mediocre PG for the Knicks. Dally has been a bust and Larkin probably won't be here since they didn't pick up his option so how did the Dallas trade help the team other than making the Knicks a lottery team.

I'm not calling for Phil Jacksons head just yet but to go into a draft where the the Knicks might have the number one pick this year and with cap space to sign FAs, having Phil running the show as the GM is risky, when he first joined the Knicks there was talk of him hiring an experienced GM because of his lack of experience. He hasn't done anything so far to prove he's anything but a rookie GM.

The Dallas trade was a bust if his goal this season was to win and make the playoffs, the Knicks record and worst start in history proves that. Calderon has been meh so far, not a great defender and other than an occasional good outside shooting game he's been a mediocre PG for the Knicks. Dally has been a bust and Larkin probably won't be here since they didn't pick up his option so how did the Dallas trade help the team other than making the Knicks a lottery team.

It helped the Knicks by getting rid of Felton as described in the two posts above yours.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting

Getting a GM will be tough. I'd say its unlikely to happen. Steve Mills stepped down as president so Phil could take the job. There was an agreement that Mills would stay on as GM. Mills has got a business background and knows finance. The two of them together should make for an interesting pair but selecting the right players is really going to be up to Phil.

Tyson Chandler is a really good defensive player but he violated protocol by criticizing Woodson on a live interview. If you're Phil and you intend to bring in a rookie coach you can't set him up for failure by coaching a guy like Chandler. Like Woody or not, he's got a **** ton of experience. If Chandler would openly criticize a man with Woodson's experience he'd only cause more problems for a rookie coach. Last point, if you're going to trade Chandler you do it when he still has value. Fans forget that trades have to be amicable. If you've got a **** player that you want out no one else really wants him.

The good news is we've got our draft pick and we just might get a future franchise player out of this one. Free agency will be intriguing. Despite this terrible season this summer will be a great opportunity for the Knicks.

paris401

Starter
The good news is we've got our draft pick and we just might get a future franchise player out of this one. Free agency will be intriguing. Despite this terrible season this summer will be a great opportunity for the Knicks.

yes we got rid of Raymond (colt-45) felton n his contract, n took back calderon plus an extra year on his contract.. an upgrade?? I guess u can argue it is... and maybe we get a franchise player from the draft, but without picking up a key FA we'll still be floundering... and that's where the zenmaster better shine... phil mite need a pair of kneepads to get a gasol/other FA's to sign here... pucker-up zenmaster

CoolClyde

yes we got rid of Raymond (colt-45) felton n his contract, n took back calderon plus an extra year on his contract.. an upgrade?? I guess u can argue it is... and maybe we get a franchise player from the draft, but without picking up a key FA we'll still be floundering... and that's where the zenmaster better shine... phil mite need a pair of kneepads to get a gasol/other FA's to sign here... pucker-up zenmaster

that made me laugh.

Yeah, I enjoyed this post, too, but I have to ARGUE that Calderon is an upgrade over Felton? Man, that's depressing, Felton is terrible and never plays and Calderon is one of the league's best in three point shooting and assist to turnover ratio. Calderon is no superstar, but I bet you there is literally no free agent in the NBA who would even consider the Knicks with Felton still as the starting PG.

Kiyaman

Legend
Phil best signing would have been ex-GM Kerr as Knicks head coach, and Derek Fisher as assistant coach.
But Kerr knew Dolan hired Phil to keep BALLHOGGER Melo in a Knicks uniform.
Steve Kerr didnt want no part of Marbury again, I mean Melo.
Kerr would have rather built a winning Knicks team around Tyson & Stat final contract season, with Melo in Chicago.

The Dallas trade was a pure BUST for the Knicks, Tyson was worth a future first rounder plus C-Dalembert.
Why b/c .. Dirk/Ellis/and Tyson are a 50 win team under coach Rick Carlyle = late first rounder.
The Tyson trade were suppose to bring the Knicks Rondo.

What did Calderon do for Toronto? Nothing!
What did Felton do for Charlotte? Nothing!
Nothing from Nothing leaves nothing
Felton's $8M for 2 yrs?
Calderon $14M for 2 yrs?

Phil best signing would have been ex-GM Kerr as Knicks head coach, and Derek Fisher as assistant coach.
But Kerr knew Dolan hired Phil to keep BALLHOGGER Melo in a Knicks uniform.
Steve Kerr didnt want no part of Marbury again, I mean Melo.
Kerr would have rather built a winning Knicks team around Tyson & Stat final contract season, with Melo in Chicago.

The Dallas trade was a pure BUST for the Knicks, Tyson was worth a future first rounder plus C-Dalembert.
Why b/c .. Dirk/Ellis/and Tyson are a 50 win team under coach Rick Carlyle = late first rounder.
The Tyson trade were suppose to bring the Knicks Rondo.

What did Calderon do for Toronto? Nothing!
What did Felton do for Charlotte? Nothing!
Nothing from Nothing leaves nothing
Felton's $8M for 2 yrs?
Calderon $14M for 2 yrs?

Why are you talking about Calderon on Toronto as if that is his most recent body of work. Calderon was the starting PG for a 48 win team that took the Spurs to 7 games last year and people are going to argue that he is not good enough for us? Rondo was never coming here. Celtics were never going to trade him here. Mavs were never going to give us a 1st round pick for Chandler. Also, if one more person talks about a comparison between Felton and Calderon as if it is even close, I just give up.

Kiyaman

Legend
Why are you talking about Calderon on Toronto as if that is his most recent body of work. Calderon was the starting PG for a 48 win team that took the Spurs to 7 games last year and people are going to argue that he is not good enough for us? Rondo was never coming here. Celtics were never going to trade him here. Mavs were never going to give us a 1st round pick for Chandler. Also, if one more person talks about a comparison between Felton and Calderon as if it is even close, I just give up.

Calderon age 33 vs Felton age 30, both has equal talent (18 minute backup PG), both has 9 years in NBA, both had one good season as a starter PG out of their 9 seasons.
Both were made starters on a losing team that no decent veteran FA PG would sign on to.

Why are they equal? the 2 PG lack creativeness, after 20 minutes on the court they have nothing new to offer, or add to their teammates talent so they do the same move over n over (scouting-report). And individual scorer Melo ballhogging does not help out Calderon or Felton talent.

Calderon age 33 vs Felton age 30, both has equal talent (18 minute backup PG), both has 9 years in NBA, both had one good season as a starter PG out of their 9 seasons.
Both were made starters on a losing team that no decent veteran FA PG would sign on to.

Why are they equal? the 2 PG lack creativeness, after 20 minutes on the court they have nothing new to offer, or add to their teammates talent so they do the same move over n over (scouting-report). And individual scorer Melo ballhogging does not help out Calderon or Felton talent.

I think Calderon is a better player than Felton with Calderon being an average starting PG and Felton being a terrible starting PG, but I can appreciate your stance on them as you have explained.