Knicks trading Calderon?

I think the Knicks' ability to trade Calderon will go up immensely if a potential playoff team loses their starting PG to injury in the next few weeks. Otherwise, not sure PJ will be able to move Calderon immediately like people want. At least Calderon is healthy and his 3-point shooting and assist to TO ratio have remained strong, which is what you are mainly looking for if you are after Calderon.

tiger0330

Legend
I was thinking Calderon would be asking off this train wreck like Udrih did last year. His contract isn't untradeable like that article says, 7.8M/1yr I think Phil can find a taker for him if he tries and doesn't want anything back for him like a draft pick.

I would like to see him waive Bargnani. If any guy deserves to be waived it's him.

Last edited:

paris401

Starter
tiger0330;287730His contract isn't untradeable like that article says said:
jose 7.4 next ,7.8 the following year... and agree he's tradeable if Phil doesn't ask for a pick... well maybe a 2nd rounder in 2020... if he was able to move smokey (JR)... anything is possible..

as to the I'Talian (and amare too)... going to be tough to trade either, as neither have any value sitting in street clothes on the bench, but they are off the book at years end in any case...

I think the knicks play the wizards tonite... any idea whos in the starting lineup.... or even who is still on the team...

jose 7.4 next ,7.8 the following year... and agree he's tradeable if Phil doesn't ask for a pick... well maybe a 2nd rounder in 2020... if he was able to move smokey (JR)... anything is possible..

as to the I'Talian (and amare too)... going to be tough to trade either, as neither have any value sitting in street clothes on the bench, but they are off the book at years end in any case...

I think the knicks play the wizards tonite... any idea whos in the starting lineup.... or even who is still on the team...

Aldrich, Calderon, Jason Smith, Acy, THJ are my bet to start with the rotation rounded out by Prigs, Early, Larkin, Wear, and very soon, Langston Galloway. It's a hell of a thing, although a lineup shifted to giving minutes to Early, Aldrich, THJ, and soon Galloway isn't the worst thing in the world for us for scoping out assets.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
I think Calderon is a high character guy but he's getting paid 7 million next season. Eliminating this salary or limiting it via Reggie Jackson (3.4 million next season) will give us more room to sign free agents. Don't knock Phil for this one. This is a shrewd move.

tiger0330

Legend

They officially waived all 3 players in the trade, didn't even keep Lance Thomas so don't look for any new faces

Starting lineup I would think would be:

Aldrich
Acy
Hardaway
Calderon
Larkin/Prigs

I know you said we would have problems beating Kentucky in one of the other threads. The NY Times agrees with you they pulled their beat reporter from covering the Knicks because they are so bad. lol

Wanted: Better Basketball for a Beleaguered Reporter

The Knicks, in an effort to rebuild through the N.B.A. draft and free agency, appear to have officially given up on this season. They’re an unthinkable 5-32, and on Monday night they traded away J. R. Smith and Iman Shumpert, leaving a roster that might struggle against an N.B.A. Development League team.

So the Sports department’s editors feel it is only merciful to give our Knicks beat writer, Scott Cacciola, a break from such woeful basketball. He deserves to see the game played at a higher level. For the next month or so, we would like to point him to some good, quality basketball, wherever it may be. Any suggestions?

Maybe there is another N.B.A. team that warrants his attention, or perhaps a high school or college squad. For that matter, maybe you know of a strong coed team at your local Y that Scott should write about. Tell us where to send him. Submit your ideas in the comments section.

Which team should our Knicks beat writer, Scott Cacciola, now cover?

Kiyaman

Legend
Phil Jackson receive pure-garbage for Tyson Chandler and Iman Shumpert.
Now u want to trust Phil to trade a 33 yr old tier 2 pg Calderon's 3 yr contract by the deadline.
Cap space? for who?

Phil Jackson is 0-2 on trades .. I am afraid of Phil's 3rd Knicks trade.
At the end of the day when u do the math on Phil's trades .. Dolan will be taken over soon.

Phil Jackson receive pure-garbage for Tyson Chandler and Iman Shumpert.
Now u want to trust Phil to trade a 33 yr old tier 2 pg Calderon's 3 yr contract by the deadline.
Cap space? for who?

Phil Jackson is 0-2 on trades .. I am afraid of Phil's 3rd Knicks trade.
At the end of the day when u do the math on Phil's trades .. Dolan will be taken over soon.

PJ has been tasked with the same thing Donnie Walsh was tasked with before the Summer of Lebron, which is get as many contracts off the team as possible. If he moves Calderon's contract for nothing, then the net effect of his efforts will be getting all our contracts for next season off the books except for Melo and THJ (whom were decided to be kept). You may see that he is bombing out like crazy, but if his goal was to completely turn over the roster, then he is getting done what he wanted to do. Also, the idea that any player we have traded would have ever brought us any 1st round draft picks is theoretical at best.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
PJ has been tasked with the same thing Donnie Walsh was tasked with before the Summer of Lebron, which is get as many contracts off the team as possible. If he moves Calderon's contract for nothing, then the net effect of his efforts will be getting all our contracts for next season off the books except for Melo and THJ (whom were decided to be kept). You may see that he is bombing out like crazy, but if his goal was to completely turn over the roster, then he is getting done what he wanted to do. Also, the idea that any player we have traded would have ever brought us any 1st round draft picks is theoretical at best.
Yeah. Smith wasn't even offered anything from any other team in free agency right after his 6th Man Of The Year season, and Shumpert has been disappointing. Tyson? He was injured a lot, not playing even well on defense, and has too many miles on him. Maybe there were better options out there, but first round picks for these players? Come on. Smith might have been able to get more later in the season or after because knowing him he might have gotten hot and lead the Knicks into a spot in the Playoffs like he almost did last season, but you want to depend on that when there was an offer right on the table? The Knicks have a first round pick, cap space, and whether you're a fan of him or not, Melo's a great piece to have with with a lot of cap space and a pick. Also, Calderon isn't bad to have. He was injured and is getting better. Tyson for Calderon is actually better than having Tyson's contract and not playing good defense. Calderon isn't making that much relatively.

paris401

Starter
Tyson for Calderon is actually better than having Tyson's contract and not playing good defense. Calderon isn't making that much relatively.

Tyson is making 14.5m this year ,next year..zero... the following year...zero... calderon .. 7m this year, 7.4 next, 7.8 the following year... how is that better??? ...

'if' we had kept him, what would some team..(maybe the cavs) have paid us with draft picks???... if they gave Denver '2' 1st rounders for timmy, Tyson is worth double or triple that ... timmy is a big white blob of doo-doo... slow with ...n I'm being generous 'few' skills.. Tyson aint wilt or kareem, but he's heads n shoulders above tha Russian...

nice trade phil... nice trade...

Tyson is making 14.5m this year ,next year..zero... the following year...zero... calderon .. 7m this year, 7.4 next, 7.8 the following year... how is that better??? ...

'if' we had kept him, what would some team..(maybe the cavs) have paid us with draft picks???... if they gave Denver '2' 1st rounders for timmy, Tyson is worth double or triple that ... timmy is a big white blob of doo-doo... slow with ...n I'm being generous 'few' skills.. Tyson aint wilt or kareem, but he's heads n shoulders above tha Russian...

nice trade phil... nice trade...

That Mozgov trade is one of the most incredibly misleading trades of all-time. Both picks are protected under numerous conditions for multiple years and there are scenarios where one of the picks even becomes 2 second rounders years down the road.

paris401

Starter
That Mozgov trade is one of the most incredibly misleading trades of all-time. Both picks are protected under numerous conditions for multiple years and there are scenarios where one of the picks even becomes 2 second rounders years down the road.

I'm not 100pct up on the trade details other then hearing 2 #1's...BUT... whatever they got, n whenever the picks r for, he's not worth a pick from an AAU team... we got dick for Tyson.. n I understand timing is everything, sell a stock today, tomorrow it doubles, BUT aint that the reason we hired the zen-master...

Kiyaman

Legend
Originally Posted by paris401 Tyson is making 14.5m this year ,next year..zero... the following year...zero... calderon .. 7m this year, 7.4 next, 7.8 the following year... how is that better??? ...

What part of the 2 first round draft picks from a .500 record Lebron James Cleveland Cavs is misunderstood?
Do u see Lebron James tanking in the future? do u see OKC tanking having Durant & Westbrook?

OKC gave away a first round pick for Waiters?
Cavs gave away 2 first round picks for Timmy Mozgov? do u need Blake Griffin/Mozgov highlight?

The Mavs are now a top-5 contender team having big-body Tyson Chandler in the paint.
The Cavs backcourt of Irving/Lebron could average 50 points a game with Iman Shumpert in lineup.

How many millions of dollars under the table did Phil Jackson receive in his overseas account for trading Tyson n Shump?
I don't buy the Felton or JR extensive contract for two good reasons .. because talent wise
Felton's better than Calderon, and knucklehead JR is better than Waiters.

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
I'm not 100pct up on the trade details other then hearing 2 #1's...BUT... whatever they got, n whenever the picks r for, he's not worth a pick from an AAU team... we got dick for Tyson.. n I understand timing is everything, sell a stock today, tomorrow it doubles, BUT aint that the reason we hired the zen-master...

Great point.
Either Phil Jackson is a IDIOT.
Or Phil got something on the side for himself.

What part of the 2 first round draft picks from a .500 record Lebron James Cleveland Cavs is misunderstood?
Do u see Lebron James tanking in the future? do u see OKC tanking having Durant & Westbrook?

OKC gave away a first round pick for Waiters?
Cavs gave away 2 first round picks for Timmy Mozgov? do u need Blake Griffin/Mozgov highlight?

The Mavs are now a top-5 contender team having big-body Tyson Chandler in the paint.
The Cavs backcourt of Irving/Lebron could average 50 points a game with Iman Shumpert in lineup.

How many millions of dollars under the table did Phil Jackson receive in his overseas account for trading Tyson n Shump?
I don't buy the Felton or JR extensive contract for two good reasons .. because talent wise
Felton's better than Calderon, and knucklehead JR is better than Waiters.

C'mon man, I explained in my last post what is misleading about the Mozgov 2 1st round picks. Just look up the details, one of them can never be better than a mid to late first round and the other can be up to a #6 pick, but not for 2 drafts from now at the soonest. You guys all have imbalanced perceptions of what you can trade non-star players for because you are used to watching us give up 1st round picks for crap players. Every time you come up with an instance where someone gave away a 1st round pick, it's either us or Brooklyn.

Also, to clarify, whether Lebron tanks or not doesn't matter. The picks belong to OKC and Memphis, not that it really matters.

Last edited:
For the love of God, Kiyaman, please stop saying that a guy averaging 1.5 points and 0.5 assists halfway through the season is better than Calderon.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
For the love of God, Kiyaman, please stop saying that a guy averaging 1.5 points and 0.5 assists halfway through the season is better than Calderon.
hahaha

Melo hasn't done much for the Knicks this season, but you'd be a fool to think a back-up third string SF is better than him.

The only BIG thing Phil Jackson did I don't agree with is him giving Melo a no-trade clause. I don't agree with the money he gave him, but I think Melo might have a big impact once he has a good amount of help.

paris401

Starter
C'mon man, I explained in my last post what is misleading about the Mozgov 2 1st round picks. Just look up the details, one of them can never be better than a mid to late first round and the other can be up to a #6 pick, but not for 2 drafts from now at the soonest..

OK.. that's fair enough... there's more to the trade that appears at 1st glance... BUT FUK... we got a 2019 2nd rounder for smoker (JR) and the hump... and ZERO for Tyson (sorry jose)... and Tyson is worlds better then that lard from Moscow...

skisloper

Starter
hahaha

Melo hasn't done much for the Knicks this season, but you'd be a fool to think a back-up third string SF is better than him.

The only BIG thing Phil Jackson did I don't agree with is him giving Melo a no-trade clause. I don't agree with the money he gave him, but I think Melo might have a big impact once he has a good amount of help.

Phil made zero mistake with Shump/Smith.....was the only way to get rid of Smith for next year.
Phil gambled that Calderon would be one of the pieces this season and with Bargani and Melo thought the triangle would work.....If he can not get rid of calderon then gamble really fails if he gets rid of him then no loss and he took a chance no big deal....

Will be interesting if Philly wins the #1 pick and we are #2 ....will they take Hardaway and trade picks with us...

The ONLY way to judge Phil is to see what team the Knicks put on the court next season.....and if MELO is hurt then Phil gets the blame for that as he signed a star to 5 years late in his career.....