The 2015 NBA Draft

tiger0330

Legend
A week before they drop the ping-pong-balls the NBA CEO will have a conference on all the LOSER teams that apply for the Lottery balls.
The first discussion of the CEO will be which Lottery-team had the lowest home attendance?
The teams with the lowest home attendance ussually receive the top 3 picks.
This is a Bussiness!!!
The Knicks Home attendance (above 19,500 per game), lead the league with the most sold-out Home-Games .. Now u know why owner Dolan could tell a long time Knicks fan to go support another team. Thnthe Knie CEO will also take Dolan remark in consideration.
Knicks get 4th or 5th pick .. who will that be???
Surprised nobody started a thread about Dolans email to Irving Bierman. Calling a fan an alcoholic and telling him to root for the Nets, is that any way to treat a paying customer? Dolan is an idiot and that group that is trying to raise the money for a billboard to have him sell the team is a start but what Knicks fans need to do is boycott the games. I have commented before how it always surprises me how full MSG is with the Knicks awful record but maybe fans should reconsider giving Dolan their hard earned money after this,

CoolClyde

the problem with boycotting is the fact that more than half the seats sold are to corporations and season ticket holders, and that percentage could be MUCH higher. I went to a meet and greet at the garden a few years ago, to bring in season ticket buyers, and there were so few seats actually available in the good sections, it was ridiculous.

the corporations and rich people who buy season tickets take it off their taxes as entertainment expense, they don't give a f*ck about boycott, they're entertaining clients and giving props to their employees. none of these people are boycotting, they're getting freebies.

it's the upper levels and the corners of the garden where tickets are sold, and there are SO MANY PEOPLE who clamor for tickets amongst tourists and lastly, Knicks fans, that a boycott is not the answer.

I'm all about the guys who want to buy a billboard to oust Dolan. If Daddy Dolan gets so embarrassed by his son's antics, I believe only then will little Jimmy be relieved of his duties.

CoolClyde

Is just my imagination and does all of a sudden this seem like a "deep" draft when previously it was described as a weak one? Maybe we're just making it sound like a better draft class because we're in the lottery.

it only seems deep because Knicks actually have a chance at a good pick this year, and the media (and Knicks forums) are all over who's available, this year more than any other. hence, I agree with you.

mafra

Legend
I believe this will be the 20th draft conducted under the current format. Only twice has the team with the worst record "won" the 1 pick ...

I think there are 5 "difference makers" -- Okafor, Towns, Russell, Mudiay, Porzingis

then a bunch of possible "stars" - Stanley Johnson, Cauley-Stein, Herzonja +???

Just think… When we started breaking things down for Lebron… in 2008… If we lose 4 more games those first 2 seasons… instead of Gallinari and Hill, we draft Steph Curry & Russell Westbrook.

paris401

Starter
If Daddy Dolan gets so embarrassed by his son's antics, I believe only then will little Jimmy be relieved of his duties.

I'm not so sure... daddy is a bit of a nut toooo... a few years ago for july 4th... daddy went mano a mano with.... Wang... a Chinese fellow in his 'hood.. how the fuk does an Irishman think he can out-do a chinaman where fireworks were invented???

tiger0330

Legend
I believe this will be the 20th draft conducted under the current format. Only twice has the team with the worst record "won" the 1 pick ...

I think there are 5 "difference makers" -- Okafor, Towns, Russell, Mudiay, Porzingis

then a bunch of possible "stars" - Stanley Johnson, Cauley-Stein, Herzonja +???

Just think… When we started breaking things down for Lebron… in 2008… If we lose 4 more games those first 2 seasons… instead of Gallinari and Hill, we draft Steph Curry & Russell Westbrook.
I used to think Timmy was a sure thing because of his dad and the fact that he's been training to be in the NBA since he was in high school, now I'm not so sure. Neither am I sure about Cleanthony Early, he's looked terrible even for a rookie. Maybe it's the sophmore jinx for Timmy and coming off the knee injury for Early but I would not be surprised if they both turn out to be busts.

We have not had a lot of success drafting players and I hope the 60M Dolan spent changes that.

mafra

Legend
I used to think Timmy was a sure thing because of his dad and the fact that he's been training to be in the NBA since he was in high school, now I'm not so sure. Neither am I sure about Cleanthony Early, he's looked terrible even for a rookie. Maybe it's the sophmore jinx for Timmy and coming off the knee injury for Early but I would not be surprised if they both turn out to be busts.

We have not had a lot of success drafting players and I hope the 60M Dolan spent changes that.

Trading TC, JR, and Shump; and now (it appears) getting nada from expiring Amar'e & Bags deals... Only getting a 2nd round pick, while taking on that bad Calderon contract.. Phil is not off to a good start. Still, his tenure and exec legacy will, in large part, be decided this July. Who does he draft? Sign in free agency? These decisions will define NYK for the next 5 years. We are still living with Walsh's decisions. Getting nada for Zach Randolph, D-Lee, and J-Craw.. not finding a PG... shump over Faired.. eck.

Broadway

All Star

Now not sure how solid this is but Phil referred to him as "A Great Prospect" while saying a couple other things I believe. If so Phil should know what the rules are no question. Horrible yr for Phil, couldn't have gone any worse

Now not sure how solid this is but Phil referred to him as "A Great Prospect" while saying a couple other things I believe. If so Phil should know what the rules are no question. Horrible yr for Phil, couldn't have gone any worse

I know that this has nothing to do with anything but that language "draft-ineligible" is because he is a freshman and Russell is in this coming draft, right? Assuming that he is, worst record in the NBA guarantees us one out of Okafor, Towns, Mudiay, and Russell, assuming that is our top 4 (I have no idea right now).

Broadway

All Star
I know that this has nothing to do with anything but that language "draft-ineligible" is because he is a freshman and Russell is in this coming draft, right? Assuming that he is, worst record in the NBA guarantees us one out of Okafor, Towns, Mudiay, and Russell, assuming that is our top 4 (I have no idea right now).

Since he hasn't declared technically he's not "draft eligible" and Phil should know this. It's no different than commenting as a coach on an impending free agent of another team. Just goes to show Phil the "Exec" doesn't trump into success because of what he did as Phil the "Coach".

Phil is like a developmental (rookie) exec that will take 2-3yrs until he gets comfortable in this league, much like a lottery pick basketball player. I figured he'd have difficulty in this new role, although the sell with Phil chip pedigree was probably laid on a little too thick. He's gonna have to blue collar his way to success, get dirty, being in the valley a while before he reaches the peak-mountain top again...if he can.

tiger0330

Legend
Since he hasn't declared technically he's not "draft eligible" and Phil should know this. It's no different than commenting as a coach on an impending free agent of another team. Just goes to show Phil the "Exec" doesn't trump into success because of what he did as Phil the "Coach".

Phil is like a developmental (rookie) exec that will take 2-3yrs until he gets comfortable in this league, much like a lottery pick basketball player. I figured he'd have difficulty in this new role, although the sell with Phil chip pedigree was probably laid on a little too thick. He's gonna have to blue collar his way to success, get dirty, being in the valley a while before he reaches the peak-mountain top again...if he can.
It'll be a slap on the wrist fine I'm sure, 25K-50K. I think he was quoted as saying he's got a bright future, which every analyst and scout has said about him. I can see the league fining GM's if they say "He's our top pick" but the NBA rules are a little strict.

Definitely looking like a rookie, his eye for talent and team building are what worries me. It just took another hit with the talk that they may use the stretch provision on Calderon this off-season, he got a guy that evidently you can't trade so to get some cap space you have to resort to this.

Broadway

All Star
It'll be a slap on the wrist fine I'm sure, 25K-50K. I think he was quoted as saying he's got a bright future, which every analyst and scout has said about him. I can see the league fining GM's if they say "He's our top pick" but the NBA rules are a little strict.

Definitely looking like a rookie, his eye for talent and team building are what worries me. It just took another hit with the talk that they may use the stretch provision on Calderon this off-season, he got a guy that evidently you can't trade so to get some cap space you have to resort to this.

As far as potential cost of fine, money is not the issue here as much as "negative press" and outsiders looking in. An analyst can say whatever they want, they're paid to cover the players and promote the sport

But an NBA exec can't say things like "a great talent" for someone who's undecided. It's language that can be interpreted as influential, smoke and mirrors, misleading, divisive, subliminal preference. Some of which could apply the same once declared but without knowledge of intent to play there isn't the platform for equal access to all parties of interest. This isn't college recruitment going on here and even they have strict rules. Phil knew the rule on impending free agents I believe when Dwight Howard rumors were swirling, he was the coach. He needs to know the rules as an exec

So instead of leaving everything up to interpretation, the league as a whole says to all exec shut your pie hole on ineligible players. If Phil cries ignorance, well stupid is what stupid does as the saying goes. He is the intellectual one here correct, a Zen of higher learning and mindfulness?

Not sure though if this fine is going to be enforced, may not be enough substantial info as the league investigates but if so "Shame on Phil."

Last edited:

Paul1355

All Star
The top 4 guys are Okafor, Towns, Russell and Mudiay.

Mudiay: I would say the biggest risk is drafting Mudiay...he has only really showcased his skills in China which even Michael Beaseley dominated in. I just don't trust Mudiay unless we get stuck with the 4th pick.

Russel: Might be the best all around prospect. Russell really impresses me with his size (6'5), passing, and ability to take over a game offensively. He is the most dynamic player and can be a triple double guy. I would not be shocked if Phil goes for him.

Towns: His ability to rebound and play defense better than Okafor is impressive. He is a heart and soul big man and I love his energy. Being from NJ would make him an instant fan favorite here. However I worry about his IQ and foul trouble he gets himself in. He also has haad help with Willey Cualey Stein downlow.

Okafor: has all the hype but really looks like the next Al Jefferson. I don't really view Okafor as a center, but more as a big power forward. I love him for his nba ready offensive skills but a big man needs to be able to rebound and play defense at a high level to impact the game entirely. He is a perfect fit for the triangle, but I would not be shocked if Russell or Towns get picked above him since he is getting beat on the defensive end and rebounding.

My pick: Towns or Russell...really a toss up....NCAA tournament will decide.

Okafor might be expendable if we picked up someone exactly like him (Greg Monroe)

Paul1355

All Star

could have been the best possible thing to happen. If we can get a stud in this draft along with some good free agents then it just sets us up for a long prosperous future. We need talented youth.

Paul1355

All Star
Okafor skills remind me of Marcus Camby at Massachusetts in 1996.
Camby had more energy on defense, Okafor has more energy on offense
Per Game in college/NBA Camby gave u double-double 3 blocks 1 steal

Hint: The season Camby averaged 10 pts, 13 rb, 3 ast, 4 blk, 1 stl, and 1 turnover per game.
Melo had Camby traded out of Denver for nothing in return why?
because Camby mention Melo's poor defensive habits during a playoff series
Cause n Effect
Tyson Chandler mention certain teammates poor defensive habits allowed Knicks opponents to score on a defensive-switch .. Tyson mention teammates poor defensive performance the season after being teammates with Marcus Camby.
Funny how Tyson knew what to say to get him traded ASAP.

I couldn't leave out the effects of Melo in a post for the Knicks 2015 draft pick.
Look at Ohio State 6.5 PG- D'Angelo Russell for the Knicks 2015 draft pick .. tell me what u like, dont like

I dont agree with your comparison to Camby.

Camby was a defensive stopper, Okafor is an offensive post threat.

Okafor is better compared to Al Jefferson or Greg Monroe. A big post up scoring Power Forward with an array of post moves. Okafor gets blocks but is not known for his defensive abilities and rebounding. Most scouts already claim that Towns is a much better shot blocker and rebounder.

Okafor just stands out for his offensive post dominance and being the most NBA ready of all the prospects.

Mudiay: I would say the biggest risk is drafting Mudiay...he has only really showcased his skills in China which even Michael Beaseley dominated in. I just don't trust Mudiay unless we get stuck with the 4th pick.

Russel: Might be the best all around prospect. Russell really impresses me with his size (6'5), passing, and ability to take over a game offensively. He is the most dynamic player and can be a triple double guy. I would not be shocked if Phil goes for him.

Towns: His ability to rebound and play defense better than Okafor is impressive. He is a heart and soul big man and I love his energy. Being from NJ would make him an instant fan favorite here. However I worry about his IQ and foul trouble he gets himself in. He also has haad help with Willey Cualey Stein downlow.

Okafor: has all the hype but really looks like the next Al Jefferson. I don't really view Okafor as a center, but more as a big power forward. I love him for his nba ready offensive skills but a big man needs to be able to rebound and play defense at a high level to impact the game entirely. He is a perfect fit for the triangle, but I would not be shocked if Russell or Towns get picked above him since he is getting beat on the defensive end and rebounding.

Okafor might be expendable if we picked up someone exactly like him (Greg Monroe)

Really interesting assessment of the top prospects. If you want to oversimplify things, you could say that in a perfect world PJ wants to get his 'Kobe' or his 'MJ'. Obviously, no one player is going to fit that bill coming out of the draft. However, Russell is far and away the most exciting option and he is a guy you can maybe just put the ball in his hands and see what happens. I'd still rather have Okafor right now, but, last thing we need is another frontcourt player who may not be able to defend his position at the NBA level.

Kiyaman

Legend

Mudiay or Russell are the best future-picks for the Knicks .. yeah yeah the Knicks need a young Bigman, but not at the expense of being able to start next season with TWO young combo-guards for the growth of a gellin backcourt the next 4 seasons ..
Galloway & Mudiay or Russell.
The Knicks selecting Mudiay or Russell will still have to sign one of the starter PG in the 2015 FA market ..
Rondo or Reggie Jackson or Jeremy Lin
This way we don't put any pressure on Galloway, Mudiay or Russell to be a starters their first full season in the NBA.
The Knicks need a "TRIO" backcourt under contract the next 4 seasons to have success next season.

I would like to draft BIGS Okafor or Towns .. but the Knicks don't have a back-court to feed Melo & Stat, so the first PRIORITY is getting some all-around guards to take away all the weak areas in the backcourt to build a frontline of BIGS by trading deadline and 2016 offseason. The Knicks building process will take two more offseason thanks to rookie Phil Jackson foolish one year moves.

Kiyaman

Legend
I dont agree with your comparison to Camby.

Camby was a defensive stopper, Okafor is an offensive post threat.

Okafor is better compared to Al Jefferson or Greg Monroe. A big post up scoring Power Forward with an array of post moves. Okafor gets blocks but is not known for his defensive abilities and rebounding. Most scouts already claim that Towns is a much better shot blocker and rebounder.
Okafor just stands out for his offensive post dominance and being the most NBA ready of all the prospects.

Agree .. Okafor best talents are opposite of Camby best talents, both are the best big-man prospect in their draft-class.
The question lies .. which bigman would u rather have in a lineup with Melo? Camby defense? or Okafor offense?
Camby were suppose to have a NBA career at the 4-spot (PF) .. just like Duncan, Horry, Dirk, and Ibaka.

The question for Phil Jackson on draft night is to .. Look at Ohio State 6.5 PG- D'Angelo Russell for the Knicks 2015 draft pick .. tell me what u think of a lineup with Melo & Russell???

Paul1355

All Star
Agree .. Okafor best talents are opposite of Camby best talents, both are the best big-man prospect in their draft-class.
The question lies .. which bigman would u rather have in a lineup with Melo? Camby defense? or Okafor offense?
Camby were suppose to have a NBA career at the 4-spot (PF) .. just like Duncan, Horry, Dirk, and Ibaka.

The question for Phil Jackson on draft night is to .. Look at Ohio State 6.5 PG- D'Angelo Russell for the Knicks 2015 draft pick .. tell me what u think of a lineup with Melo & Russell???

thats a good question because I am tempted to ask: what is more important, a draft pick that fits the triangle or compliments Melo?

The triangle will make Phil tempted to find the prototypical big man (Okafor/Towns). However I believe Russell is the best all around prospect that can make the strongest impact.

I'd say Melo needs someone that can score, however we should remember that we have 27 million in cap room to fill offensive needs. I believe it's harder to find two way players that make an impact. Therefore, Towns stands out and Kentucky players have done well in the nba recently (John Wall/Cousins). So between Okafor and Towns I am tempted to go for Towns for his overall game more so than Okafor.

My pick: I prefer Russell. With Melo, he has the potential to be someone that teams will want to double team. If that's the case it makes Melo better. Plus Russell could make Melo a better player with his passing ability and driving capabilities (leaving Melo open from 3). Russell seems like a combo guard which works in the triangle since it doesn't demand a pure point guard. Russell is great in the pick and roll which is often used in the triangle. Imagine a triangle of Russell, Melo and some top free agent signing (Monroe, Gasol, Matthews, etc).

We have too many one dimensional players, I just want guys that can make an impact on both ends of floor or make a huge impact on offensive end like Russell (points, assists, rebound stat stuffer).

We can easily have a lineup of

Russell
Matthews
Melo
Monroe or Milsap
any affordable center

And dont forget Rondo :)

tiger0330

Legend
Nice posts Paul1355. I used to think the 76ers would be picking Okafor if they get the number 1 but with them trading MCW I think they select Russell or Mudiay with it. If the Knicks pick him I hope he turns out to be a left handed Westbrook.