Knicks and Amar'e Reach Buyout Agreement

There's nothing rear view about handing out Max contracts to players with a health history issue. You're the one looking back at his so called 1 good yr. I'm looking at what was unfolding before the contract was handed out. I never once mentioned his health issues as a Knick or chronicled all of his injuries as a Knick.

We're awful at negotiating contracts plain and simple and Amar'e was probably the beginning of how we do business when the sky starts to clear. Phil did likewise with Melo, maybe the worst negotiating I've seen from any exec in any sport. We're headed into another summer where the sky is starting to clear, we can't keep making these kind of catastrophic mistakes. There are some you can recover from and then there are those you can't. Phil has damn near sat an egg on the wall.

I have no idea how your reply has anything to do with my comment. The opening of your long post that I quoted says that we weren't trying to achieve one season of greatness. My reply points out how funny it is that fans of a team that hadn't won a division title in almost 20 years and hadn't won a playoff series in almost 15 years are now spouting off about how they expected more out of the Stat era. Your post cited everything from Lin to Kidd to whatever else you could throw in there as if that all happened in a minute.

You talk so much about the build up to the Stat signing as if it showed so much promise for our franchise. The second we didn't get Lebron, anyone who was paying attention knew that we weren't going to be the next big thing in the NBA. If you saw the combining of Stat, Melo, and Chandler and saw that as multiple years of championship caliber basketball, that's as much on you for not knowing what you were looking at as it is on the Knicks for trying to market what it had.

On top of that, how would buying out Stat a year or two ago help anything? Otherwise, you jumped into this thread and are just throwing out a million things we all already know. Yeah, like I originally said the Stat era was disappointing, but we freed the cap money to sign Lebron, we didn't get him, we only got Stat, we were lucky to get one good season out of this mess of the last 4 years.

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
I have no idea how your reply has anything to do with my comment. The opening of your long post that I quoted says that we weren't trying to achieve one season of greatness. My reply points out how funny it is that fans of a team that hadn't won a division title in almost 20 years and hadn't won a playoff series in almost 15 years are now spouting off about how they expected more out of the Stat era. Your post cited everything from Lin to Kidd to whatever else you could throw in there as if that all happened in a minute.

You talk so much about the build up to the Stat signing as if it showed so much promise for our franchise. The second we didn't get Lebron, anyone who was paying attention knew that we weren't going to be the next big thing in the NBA. If you saw the combining of Stat, Melo, and Chandler and saw that as multiple years of championship caliber basketball, that's as much on you for not knowing what you were looking at as it is on the Knicks for trying to market what it had.

On top of that, how would buying out Stat a year or two ago help anything? Otherwise, you jumped into this thread and are just throwing out a million things we all already know. Yeah, like I originally said the Stat era was disappointing, but we freed the cap money to sign Lebron, we didn't get him, we only got Stat, we were lucky to get one good season out of this mess of the last 4 years.

I knew Melo, Stat, Chandler wouldn't work but it wasn't sold as something that wasn't going to. We also didn't make the Melo trade so we could come to a 2yr removed from trade conclusion this team wasn't going to work. You pointed to the 54win team as some major accomplishment what for, what was your angle other than making an observation. Were you sold on it.

You see the bar has been lowered for you, whereas with me it's always high. My standard is Spurs success or even to a lesser extent Dallas Maverick success where 50win seasons, with chips thrown in between as a given and not a halley's comet once in a lifetime feat.

Come on what was the purpose of all these moves? If you were sold on Amar'e as being that 1 key move and everything fell apart from there from your perspective okay fine but once again the Amar'e move was about as shaky as it gets, to get started.

I knew Melo, Stat, Chandler wouldn't work but it wasn't sold as something that wasn't going to. We also didn't make the Melo trade so we could come to a 2yr removed from trade conclusion this team wasn't going to work. You pointed to the 54win team as some major accomplishment what for, what was your angle other than making an observation. Were you sold on it.

You see the bar has been lowered for you, whereas with me it's always high. My standard is Spurs success or even to a lesser extent Dallas Maverick success where 50win seasons, with chips thrown in between as a given and not a halley's comet once in a lifetime feat.

Come on what was the purpose of all these moves? If you were sold on Amar'e as being that 1 key move and everything fell apart from there from your perspective okay fine but once again the Amar'e move was about as shaky as it gets, to get started.

Okay by me. You say you have high expectations from this franchise that's fine, but man, not sure how the last 15 years didn't shake that off from you. The right move was never to eviscerate our roster for Lebron because he didn't end up coming here and Stat was never worth that setup. The right move was patience. We never get that from this franchise though. A 54 win season was an accomplishment for a franchise run as poorly as our Knicks in my mind, but at this point, we'll just have to agree to disagree on that topic.

Broadway

All Star
Okay by me. You say you have high expectations from this franchise that's fine, but man, not sure how the last 15 years didn't shake that off from you. The right move was never to eviscerate our roster for Lebron because he didn't end up coming here and Stat was never worth that setup. The right move was patience. We never get that from this franchise though. A 54 win season was an accomplishment for a franchise run as poorly as our Knicks in my mind, but at this point, we'll just have to agree to disagree on that topic.

Agreed in the words of Phil Jackson back then we should have been "Piece Mealing" a team together instead of trying to find Captain Save a Ho Team

54 win team was like getting an incredible paint job on a car with a shoddy motor nearly beyond repair

Matter of fact winning the lottery this yr would trump the 54win team by a wide margin. It's called seeing the forest through the trees. Yes patience rf forethought is always the best plan of action to execute.

Kiyaman

Legend
Broadway ....

The Suns tried every avenue to keep Amare from testing the biggest ALL-STAR FA Market in NBA history in 2010 offseason.
In 2009-10 season when Amare turned down the Suns half guarantee max offer during the regular season the Phoenix Suns had their medical staff advertising Amare knee-surgery will have him retire in 3 to 4 more years, throughout the 2009-10 WCF series "Lakers vs Suns".
The Suns didn't imagine any team desperate enough to pay Amare higher than their 3 yr $60M guarantee, after reading the Suns medical report .. Donnie Walsh was desperate, he couldn't get 2nd tier star players to come to NY on July 1st.

Amare comment to the press toward Knicks young traded players was the fact of the Knicks getting championship MVP PG-Chauncey Billups in the trade. Billups was the Golden Nugget of the Melo trade.

I was not happy bout given Stat the $100M contract for reasons of Stat career of pulling the injury act .. Stat first pulled the injury act to get Marbury off the Suns, then pulled the injury act again when the Suns didnt resign Joe Johnson, then pulled the injury act to get Shaq off the Suns. Im not saying Stat never had a bad knee injury problem, Im just saying .. i wasn't happy given Stat a $100M knowing how Stat feels about selfish half-court playing teammates

Last edited:

paris401

Starter
I knew Melo, Stat, Chandler wouldn't work .

really, well u are much smarter then me, I thought a healthy stat at pf, n Me-Lo playing whatever, and Tyson was quite the trio.. better then south beach... I thought they could compete nite in nite out with them...yes....

while LeBron would abuse us, I thought Stat would be whipping bosh, n Me-Lo and wade would pound each other... that leaves Tyson, who (I thought) would have his way with haslem, or whoever...

yep u are def a step/two/three ahead of me being able to see it would not work...

Kiyaman

Legend
@ShamsCharania: Amar'e Stoudemire's deal with the Dallas Mavericks: one year, veteran's minimum, league source tells RealGM."

Originally Posted by Broadway View Post
I knew Melo, Stat, Chandler wouldn't work .

Amare was happy at getting veteran winner PG Chauncey Billups to lead the Knicks in the melo-trade.
Amare average 25 ppg with Billups at the point. Amare had a season high 41 pts with Billups.
Amare knew the importance of having a top PG, with Billups the Knicks were a 50 win team.
When the Knicks amnestied one of the leagues top floor general Billups for Tyson Chandler .. oops there goes another Isiah Thomas move .. Amare wanted off the Knicks the same week Billups got amnestied.

The Tyson/ Stat/Melo trio wouldve worked well with Billups at the point...

Last edited: