Knicks and Amar'e Reach Buyout Agreement

Broadway

All Star

This can be merged in the NBA Transaction thread maybe after most have gathered this news. I posted the news there too.

Ha Ha Ha at anyone who talked about the possibility of bringing him back. Good Riddance!

Broadway

All Star
B98Cr82IYAIdEZl.jpg:large

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Damn. Sad that it was only his first season with the Knicks that he was an All-Star. He worked his ass off to stay on the court, but never got to the level he needed to be.

Where to next for him? Is there a spot for him on the Suns?

bluechox2

Benchwarmer
he should go to a team with a passing pg...watch his career get ressurected and the knicks look dumb as hell

tiger0330

Legend
He can still score in limited minutes. With Woody in LA and BG out you would think the Clips would be a place he could wind up.

Stat's first half of his first season as a Knick made us look like geniuses, pre-Melo trade, where he was playing like an MVP. The rest of his tenure as a Knick went from frustrating to disappointing to just plain devastating. Without him, we may never have been able to attract Melo and then Chandler, which means we may never have had that one season where we won the division and a playoff series, but he was a huge liability that year and if the money he took up had been spent on someone else, or maybe just let us keep Biliups and get Chandler, it could have been a difference maker that postseason. Long story short, I have mixed feelings about the Stat Knick era. He did bring the Knicks back to some degree as promised, but only briefly and the team became about Melo instead.

On the other hand, I have no mixed feelings about Amare the man. He was a great guy while here in New York and did so much in the community for so many people. Just like with Chandler, sad to see another good human being leave the Knicks organization.

paris401

Starter
agree... no one worked harder then stat.. nobody... pity his body is/has broken down, a real gentleman, with bad knees/back...

Wargames

Starter
Welp thus ends all the ill effects of the Walsh era on the roster (minus the loss of draft picks). I hope the knicks buyout Bargarbage too. I feel he was the jinx player the raptors sent our way. Now they are a second seed team and we suck like they use too.

tiger0330

Legend
They may be bringing up Ante to fill Stat's roster spot.

Got a feeling Bargs is staying, not one rumor of him being bought out.

Trading Calderon is more important, we can draft either Russell or Mudiay or use his cap space for a PG like Dragic rather than wait 2 years and say his years with the Knicks was a waste.

One of the reasons the Hawks are doing well is that tandem of Teague and Schroeder. Both run an uptempo offense for 48 minutes and are aggressive at creating their own shot, we need to get a pair like them.

Last edited:

KnickfanaticinGA

Benchwarmer
So why the buyout vs. waiting till the end of the season? Are we saving money with the buyout or is it that we can free that money sooner for trade purposes or what?

paris401

Starter
So why the buyout vs. waiting till the end of the season? Are we saving money with the buyout or is it that we can free that money sooner for trade purposes or what?

I 'think' the idea of a buyout is not saving any $$$, but getting the roster spot to bring in other talent... (now there's a joke if I ever heard one)... bring in another d-leaguer..

as to jose... don't see him being traded, unless like with JR u include a young player.. I could be wrong but I don't see a team willing to take on his contract for the next '2' years..

Broadway

All Star
Stat's first half of his first season as a Knick made us look like geniuses, pre-Melo trade, where he was playing like an MVP. The rest of his tenure as a Knick went from frustrating to disappointing to just plain devastating. Without him, we may never have been able to attract Melo and then Chandler, which means we may never have had that one season where we won the division and a playoff series, but he was a huge liability that year and if the money he took up had been spent on someone else, or maybe just let us keep Biliups and get Chandler, it could have been a difference maker that postseason. Long story short, I have mixed feelings about the Stat Knick era. He did bring the Knicks back to some degree as promised, but only briefly and the team became about Melo instead.

On the other hand, I have no mixed feelings about Amare the man. He was a great guy while here in New York and did so much in the community for so many people. Just like with Chandler, sad to see another good human being leave the Knicks organization.

The one season of greatness wasn't what we were trying to achieve. Especially not when we traded for Melo. It was really a fools gold season. Matter of fact most of the credit falls on the shoulder of Kidd and the couple vets in Thomas and Sheed. Tyson and Melo are players at the stage we got them not really FOR KEEPS type players. There was no real PLAN in place. We were flying by the seat of our pants trying to catch lighting in a bottle. Hence why we've had all theses issues since acquiring Melo.

If we would have accomplished what we thought would happen Phil wouldn't be in this organization at a tune of $60mil

Everything was sold here as if we were going to be CONTENDERS and relevant for yrs to come. Lin(acquired by accident) saved one season for us and Kidd the next, we've been down right awful since. We're on pace to have to have the worst seasons in Knicks history this yr. As far as Amar'e.... Phx told us his health would not hold up over the life of the contract so what genius thing were we trying to prove? The best medical staff in the entire league was wrong? Kerr was the GM there right and he listened. The guy we wanted to hire as coach but struck out.

We're probably a Josh Smith season or 2 late with a buyout on Amar'e. What I am looking forward to no longer having the so called big names on this team anymore for fans to apologize and make excuses for. We'll have players on this team for fans to root for but see them for what they truly are(hoping Phil can land a couple). No more overpaid stiffs going forward, that means no Greg Monroes

Might be a good idea to unload Calderon at this point, maybe have to sacrifice a pick to create a little more cap space.

Kiyaman

Legend

I dont think Phil could trust Amare to keep up the 1-10 tanking throughout the remainder of the season.
Especially, after last season 16-5 run to end the season with a healthy Amare getting wins over playoff teams.

I would've traded Amare midseason contract ($12M) to the 7th to 9th seeded teams for a player and a future first rounder. The MJ Charlotte Hornets has Lance Stephenson on the trading block, plus Al Jefferson could use some more frontcourt depth for the postseason games.

Kiyaman

Legend
The one season of greatness wasn't what we were trying to achieve. Especially not when we traded for Melo. It was really a fools gold season. Matter of fact most of the credit falls on the shoulder of Kidd and the couple vets in Thomas and Sheed. Tyson and Melo are players at the stage we got them not really FOR KEEPS type players. There was no real PLAN in place. We were flying by the seat of our pants trying to catch lighting in a bottle. Hence why we've had all theses issues since acquiring Melo.

If we would have accomplished what we thought would happen Phil wouldn't be in this organization at a tune of $60mil

Everything was sold here as if we were going to be CONTENDERS and relevant for yrs to come. Lin(acquired by accident) saved one season for us and Kidd the next, we've been down right awful since. We're on pace to have to have the worst seasons in Knicks history this yr. As far as Amar'e.... Phx told us his health would not hold up over the life of the contract so what genius thing were we trying to prove? The best medical staff in the entire league was wrong? Kerr was the GM there right and he listened. The guy we wanted to hire as coach but struck out.

We're probably a Josh Smith season or 2 late with a buyout on Amar'e. What I am looking forward to no longer having the so called big names on this team anymore for fans to apologize and make excuses for. We'll have players on this team for fans to root for but see them for what they truly are(hoping Phil can land a couple). No more overpaid stiffs going forward, that means no Greg Monroes

Might be a good idea to unload Calderon at this point, maybe have to sacrifice a pick to create a little more cap space.

Amare became the real deal when he showed-up to work-out with new Knicks teammates in July 2010 for two weeks at Knicks practice facility, then showed up again in September to work out with teammates weeks before training camp open. That's why it didnt take long for Amare and teammates to start clicking his first season with the Knicks.

Knicks star franchise players Melo & Marbury has never worked out with several of their teammates during the offseason.
When Melo didnt get the team together to work-out during the Lock-Out .... that showed the Knicks were gonna be up SHHTTY-Creek throughout Melo contract. And now Melo got a new $124M contract that starts off with TANKING the season.

Broadway

All Star
Amare became the real deal when he showed-up to work-out with new Knicks teammates in July 2010 for two weeks at Knicks practice facility, then showed up again in September to work out with teammates weeks before training camp open. That's why it didnt take long for Amare and teammates to start clicking his first season with the Knicks.

Knicks star franchise players Melo & Marbury has never worked out with several of their teammates during the offseason.
When Melo didnt get the team together to work-out during the Lock-Out .... that showed the Knicks were gonna be up SHHTTY-Creek throughout Melo contract. And now Melo got a new $124M contract that starts off with TANKING the season.

While the team was playing better in comaprison to previous yrs, they weren't "clicking" at some torrid pace. Hence fans-organization had no problem wanting to trade the farm for Melo. I was of the sort that thought the team needed more time to prove their potential and the trade wasn't completely necessary and certainly saw the future ramifications if made.

Amar'e showing up to camp is fluff talk Kiya gimme a break. Plenty of big time players show up every yr and set proper tones for their teams. Amar'e actually sold the kids out when the trade rumors were swirling. He was one of the ones who said in the media that "this is a business and they need to suck it up" and when the team started slightly slow D'Antoni and Amar'e both said "they will not wait on the young guys and that they weren't used to losing."

Saying things like that in the media or coming out the locker room is about as punk as it gets. They were in the build a Super Team mindset because this was the en vogue thing at the time. You know copy the cHeat, copy the Cs. They knew a potential mega trade was always on the horizon in New York as it was so media driven and they were distinguishing themselves away from the rest of the bunch. Ironic enough neither one of them are Knicks anymore and didn't last the life of their contracts, because that's how life works. Had there been a taker a season or 2 back and Dolan's emotional attachment removed, Amar'e would have been gone a long time ago.

Amar'e should have never been signed but Knicks couldn't strike out but Phx knew otherwise. We weren't going to outsmart them no matter what Amar'e's first yr said

No matter his will power, no matter your love for his game, cerebral decision have to be made. Amar'e gave his best yrs to the Suns and did far more for them than any other team, as it was the only team he played for to this point. So if they weren't willing to sign their own knowing all they knew about Amar'e why did we? That's because we didn't have a real PLAN, we piped dreamed for Lebron and sacrificed some unnecessary assets for the pipe dream and when it didn't happen we were stuck with a broken down BMW with no insurance.

Steve Kerr had left the Phoenix Suns a few weeks before the club elected to let Amar?e Stoudemire walk to New York. But the former Suns general manager agreed with ownership and the club?s medical staff that Stoudemire was a medical risk not worth taking.

?Yeah,? Kerr said. ?I was on board with it.?

As Stoudemire recovers from yet another knee surgery and questions swirl over whether he?ll ever return to his All Star form, Kerr said he feels ?sad? for his former player because ?Amar?e just loves to play basketball.?

Neither Stoudemire nor the Knicks can say Stoudemire will return to the basketball court. He had right knee surgery two weeks ago, just five months after the same procedure on his left knee. Stoudemire is currently in the third year of a five-year, $100 million contract.

Suns owner Robert Sarver had offered Stoudemire a five-year, $96.6 million pact with $56 million guaranteed. The remaining $40 million was based on incentives. According to the Arizona Republic, the Phoenix deal required Stoudemire to play 2,200 minutes (26.8 minutes per game for 82 appearances) in each of the third and fourth years.

Stoudemire has appeared in 29 games this season for the Knicks and has played a total of 682 minutes.

?What I remember is our orthopedic surgeon Tom Carter saying that generally after six to eight years after a player has a microfracture there could be problems,? Kerr told the Daily News. ?We calculated he had a couple of good years left and that the back end of the contract could be a problem.

?You never know for sure but you go with your experts and in this case it was Dr. Carter.?

The Knicks had Stoudemire on a minutes restriction until Carmelo Anthony went down with a knee injury. Over three games in four nights, Stoudemire averaged more than 30 minutes after having averaged just 22 minutes.

?I thought we did a pretty good job in monitoring his minutes,? Mike Woodson said. ?Maybe got out of hand a little bit.

?Things happen, man. Again, I tip my hat to Amar?e because he?s put a lot of work in into trying to get back this season, and to have two knee surgeries in one season is tough. But if anybody can make it back it?ll be Amar?e, I promise you that.?
Kerr also praised Stoudemire?s work ethic.

?He?s always bounced back really well from injures,? Kerr added. ?Everybody that knew Amar?e in Phoenix is pulling for him. He was well like by the Suns organization.?

CoolClyde

<<Suns owner Robert Sarver had offered Stoudemire a five-year, $96.6 million pact with $56 million guaranteed. The remaining $40 million was based on incentives. According to the Arizona Republic, the Phoenix deal required Stoudemire to play 2,200 minutes (26.8 minutes per game for 82 appearances) in each of the third and fourth years.>>

the difference between the Knicks braintrust and every other team in the league.

Now that it's two years in the rear view mirror, Knicks fans are so fast to dismiss that one good season as not mattering. That one season was our first division title since 1994 and our first playoff series win since 2000. When you are that futile a franchise, I'm not sure how fans can scoff at even one season of success like it didn't matter.

Broadway

All Star
Now that it's two years in the rear view mirror, Knicks fans are so fast to dismiss that one good season as not mattering. That one season was our first division title since 1994 and our first playoff series win since 2000. When you are that futile a franchise, I'm not sure how fans can scoff at even one season of success like it didn't matter.

There's nothing rear view about handing out Max contracts to players with a health history issue. You're the one looking back at his so called 1 good yr. I'm looking at what was unfolding before the contract was handed out. I never once mentioned his health issues as a Knick or chronicled all of his injuries as a Knick.

We're awful at negotiating contracts plain and simple and Amar'e was probably the beginning of how we do business when the sky starts to clear. Phil did likewise with Melo, maybe the worst negotiating I've seen from any exec in any sport. We're headed into another summer where the sky is starting to clear, we can't keep making these kind of catastrophic mistakes. There are some you can recover from and then there are those you can't. Phil has damn near sat an egg on the wall.