Time to talk about 2015 FA market for the famous ZEN TANKING Knicks

tiger0330

Legend
With Lopez, Afflalo and Williams we have only 3 mil left in cap space plus a 2.8 mil mid level exception.

Most of our bench will be very young and inexperienced with Grant, Galloway, Porzingis, Libyrie, Antentokoumpo, Early, Ledo, etc. All of these guys a best have only one season under their belt. This is why I think Phil will not trade Calderon and his terrible contract because he is a veteran on a team full of kids.

I think Cole Aldrich was a solid center for us last season. When he played big minutes he really produced and is a legit backup role player in my opinion. We need centers on this team.

We have to bring back Alexey Shved. This guy was the best player we had when Melo went down and we traded Prigioni for him. I think he averaged 16 ppg before getting hurt? Shved is also 6'5 allowing his height to make him play the SG spot. He can play with any PG we have and allow guys like Calderon and Galloway to play more off the ball and spot up since they aren't pure point guards.

Shved has a 4 mil restriction. We could cancel that and resign him to the mid level at 2.8 or give him the rest of the 3 mil instead.

Whatever we do we need a back up center. We can even go after Bismack byombo for cheap..who knows we just need another big.
Biyombo signed with the Raps for 2yr/6M. The type of guy I would have considered instead of Williams for less money allowing you to stretch the remaining cap to get a Shved or JSmith to return. I have no idea why the Knicks were compelled to pull the trigger on Williams so soon, I doubt if teams were all over him like LMA or DJ that it couldn't have waited a week to sign him.

Kiyaman

Legend
Biyombo signed with the Raps for 2yr/6M. The type of guy I would have considered instead of Williams for less money allowing you to stretch the remaining cap to get a Shved or JSmith to return. I have no idea why the Knicks were compelled to pull the trigger on Williams so soon, I doubt if teams were all over him like LMA or DJ that it couldn't have waited a week to sign him.

Toronto Raps are building a team to challenge Celtricks & Brooklyn for next season Atlantic division title

Paul1355

All Star
I would have like biyombo for that deal

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Broadway

All Star
Ian Begley Always in Reality

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-kn...-big-apple-fails-in-knicks-free-agent-pursuit

But if anything can be gleaned after the first few days of free agency, it’s this: The lure of playing in New York -- or in any other big market -- is no longer enough to attract elite talent, so Jackson now needs to build a team that can.

That’s the one way he can hope to sell free agents in the summer of 2016 or 2017.

Other factors that used to give big markets like New York an advantage in free agency no longer exist.
Money generally doesn’t tip the scales in favor of teams like the Knicks anymore. The CBA has evened the financial playing field for free agents.

Marketing is no longer an advantage for big cities like New York. Ask Kevin Durant if he needs to be in a big market to gain lucrative marketing opportunities. And Jackson’s rings didn't have much of an allure to the top free agents.

&

If you told a Knicks fan back in March 2014, on the day Jackson took over, that the team would win 17 games in 2014-15 and their big offseason acquisitions would be Lopez and Afflalo, you’d probably be sent to Bellevue.

But here we are.

The Knicks are now clearly rebuilding and Jackson seems to be taking a long-term approach to it. Nothing wrong with that.

You have to wonder, though, how all of this fits with the career arc of Carmelo Anthony. Anthony, who signed a five-year, $124 million deal with Jackson and the Knicks last summer, viewed the 2015 offseason and the 2015-16 season as a big opportunity for both he and the Zen Master.

“This next season, for me and for the organization and for Phil, this is where we earn our money,” Anthony said back in April.

What we do know is that the elite free agents in the summer of 2015 weren't swayed by the rings on Phil Jackson’s fingers. It turns out that they’d rather have an opportunity to win one themselves.

All the reporting regarding the Knicks always has to be so overdramatic. If we could by some miracle get this team to be a 0.500 club just one of these years this century and have cap space, we would be attractive to a better class of free agents. Knocking the lure of NYC or PJ's ability to recruit free agents when you are coming off a complete dumpster fire of a season is just overkill.

jimkcchief88

All Star
But you can't ignore the lost allure of playing in MSG as part of the story. Part of the justification for PJAx bloated salary was that he would bring his rings and a system that big time players would flock to. Utter-failure to this point. PJAx couldn't even get a meeting with big time free agents. It's hard to get excited about Zingas, Littler Lopez, Affaolo, and the rest of our no-name haul. We are going to have start spelling Fhil with an F.

tiger0330

Legend
But you can't ignore the lost allure of playing in MSG as part of the story. Part of the justification for PJAx bloated salary was that he would bring his rings and a system that big time players would flock to. Utter-failure to this point. PJAx couldn't even get a meeting with big time free agents. It's hard to get excited about Zingas, Littler Lopez, Affaolo, and the rest of our no-name haul. We are going to have start spelling Fhil with an F.
I just want to see one thing work that PJ was supposed to bring to the table. He's got his players, the starting 5 of Calderon, Affalo, Melo, Williams maybe O'Quinn and Lopez are all on him let's see if that ball doesn't stick "Triangle" offense that he was selling to FA's this off-season is able to turn this team into silk purses.

I'm not giving him a pass for this season, boot him if he doesn't win 30 games this season. Steve Mills is running the show anyway, he won't be missed.