Phil Jackson Knows Who He Wants To Draft

Just read online that the Knicks will resign Bargs if he will sign for the veteran's minimum, but if anyone outbids them at all they will let him leave. Take it with a grain of salt since I'm not sure how any source could be so specific, but if it is true, that at least sounds like a reasonable approach.

Broadway

All Star
Even if we buy Calderon out I believe he still counts against the cap. But we have pieces in THJ and Early, and a trade exception to offer someone for taking Calderon.

And right now NY doesn't seem that exciting to FA's but who knows how we look after the draft with all the possible scenarios? My strategy would be just like Miami's; I'm not calling FA's one by one. I'm having a sit down with 2 and 3 at a time. So when that potential FA is considering us he'll be reassured by the others presence such as

Gasol & Butler (both are rfa and both are a long shot and both my favs for us)

Or Monroe and Butler

Or Gasol and Rondo

Etc... so when we meet all of our new big three are in agreement. My question to each of those listed above is who do you have on your current team (or going forward) better than a team of Gasol - Melo - Butler - Top rookie? Or Monroe-Melo-Rondo - Top rookie?

Not one can say they're current team is better. Then I would ask them, if with them signed, is their current team better than CLE, SA, or maybe GS, or OKC, or HOU?

If they can tell the truth the answer is no. No current or revamped situation could be better than pairing with Melo and the Knicks.

I'll also take Green but he's low on my list due to being only 6'8".

Your package free agent scenarios aren't realistic, not the players you used even for example purposes for 2 reasons.

You haven't adequately established what their Max contract worthiness is and the fact 2 of them aren't looking to leave their current situations

I'll say this again...Please stop with the notion we have a shot at these 6 free agents(Gasol, Aldridge, Butler, Leonard, Green, Durant). Look at their situations accurately

I'll go as far to say anyone can send me their Paypal addy and I'll send you $20 if we land them, you send me $10 if we don't

Your package free agent scenarios aren't realistic, not the players you used even for example purposes for 2 reasons.

You haven't adequately established what their Max contract worthiness is and the fact 2 of them aren't looking to leave their current situations

I'll say this again...Please stop with the notion we have a shot at these 6 free agents(Gasol, Aldridge, Butler, Leonard, Green, Durant). Look at their situations accurately

I'll go as far to say anyone can send me their Paypal addy and I'll send you $20 if we land them, you send me $10 if we don't

2 to 1 odds aren't good enough. Anyone who takes that bet for less than 10 to 1 odds is crazy. Also, no reason anyone should have to put money on the line to make their point.

Broadway

All Star
2 to 1 odds aren't good enough. Anyone who takes that bet for less than 10 to 1 odds is crazy. Also, no reason anyone should have to put money on the line to make their point.

I'm not a gambler but it was meant more gentleman in nature. Hence the low financial risk. It's not like the dollar value was $1000.00 to $500.00, you might have a point. There's minimal risk here if you truly believe in your heart of hearts we'll land one of those big time talents. $10.00 please gimmie a break that's chump change if I were to win

I'm not a gambler but it was meant more gentleman in nature. Hence the low financial risk. It's not like the dollar value was $1000.00 to $500.00, you might have a point. There's minimal risk here if you truly believe in your heart of hearts we'll land one of those big time talents. $10.00 please gimmie a break that's chump change if I were to win

$10 might buy you a courtside ticket at a Knicks game by this time next year if we have another season like this one.

Red

TYPE-A

You're correct. Considering Butler and Gasol who are my favs are RFA the odds are slim to none we acquire them this year.

But it's not impossible. All I can say (if I were GM) is if they compare their current team or their current team projected forward (Chi and Mem) it won't be better than the following perennial (OR new) playoff teams:

CLE, OKC, SA, GS, HOU, IND...

And won't be better than us with them, Melo, a high 1st round pick, and possibly another top FA. Rose is unreliable and Memphis has no go to scorer.

They'd be wise to look into the future and realize their current teams are going nowhere fast. Sure they'll make the playoffs but they'll be ousted. At least here they'll be paired with a superstar and a proven system with more cap room to come.

Broadway

All Star
You're correct. Considering Butler and Gasol who are my favs are RFA the odds are slim to none we acquire them this year.

But it's not impossible. All I can say (if I were GM) is if they compare their current team or their current team projected forward (Chi and Mem) it won't be better than the following perennial (OR new) playoff teams:

CLE, OKC, SA, GS, HOU, IND...

And won't be better than us with them, Melo, a high 1st round pick, and possibly another top FA. Rose is unreliable and Memphis has no go to scorer.

They'd be wise to look into the future and realize their current teams are going nowhere fast. Sure they'll make the playoffs but they'll be ousted. At least here they'll be paired with a superstar and a proven system with more cap room to come.

Why wouldn't those teams be capable of being CONTENDERS when they have a solid stash of picks and will benefit from an increased cap going forward. We don't have a pick next yr keep this in mind. So 1 yr having a pick works but the next yr not having one still works?

We're not even remotely close to being CONTENDERS and won't be next yr, not even with a high draft pick and cap space. It's gonna take a couple yrs and more bodies coming and going before we do. There are other teams in line to receive a high draft pick and some also have cap space like we do. Do they get 1 of those free agents?

Oh and the players will take their money like most players do. Gasol is an UFA probably on his last major deal and Butler is a RFA entering his first major deal. Gasol can make as much as $22-23mil first yr starting salary depending on what the cap numbers will be. Butler can make around $16-17mil. Why would they give up the 5th yr and far less money to come play here? We didn't show them anything worthy of signing here, nothing.

We might have at best about $28-29mil in cap space. Sorry no matter how the desires spin in the hearts we're not getting them. According to Wiki Marc's parent who are paternal to his brother Pau live in Germantown, a suburb of Memphis Tennessee. They don't live in California(Lakers) or Chicago(Bulls), they live right there in Memphis(Grizzlies) and have every since they've moved to the states from Spain.

The names you're gonna have to focus in on are the Brandon Knights, Amir Johnsons, Greg Monroes(yuck), Reggie Jacksons, Aaron Afflalos, possibly Wesley Matthews(highly unlikely), Tobias Harris....etc etc

Last edited:

Red

TYPE-A
Why wouldn't those teams be capable of being CONTENDERS when they have a solid stash of picks and will benefit from an increased cap going forward. We don't have a pick next yr keep this in mind. So 1 yr having a pick works but the next yr not having one still works?

We're not even remotely close to being CONTENDERS and won't be next yr, not even with a high draft pick and cap space. It's gonna take a couple yrs and more bodies coming and going before we do. There are other teams in line to receive a high draft pick and some also have cap space like we do. Do they get 1 of those free agents?

Oh and the players will take their money like most players do. Gasol is an UFA probably on his last major deal and Butler is a RFA entering his first major deal. Gasol can make as much as $22-23mil first yr starting salary depending on what the cap numbers will be. Butler can make around $16-17mil. Why would they give up the 5th yr and far less money to come play here? We didn't show them anything worthy of signing here, nothing.

We might have at best about $28-29mil in cap space. Sorry no matter how the desires spin in the hearts we're not getting them. According to Wiki Marc's parent who are paternal to his brother Pau live in Germantown, a suburb of Memphis Tennessee. They don't live in California(Lakers) or Chicago(Bulls), they live right there in Memphis(Grizzlies) and have every since they've moved to the states from Spain.

The names you're gonna have to focus in on are the Brandon Knights, Amir Johnsons, Greg Monroes(yuck), Reggie Jacksons, Aaron Afflalos, possibly Wesley Matthews(highly unlikely), Tobias Harris....etc etc

I'm saying our rebuilt team should be better than CHI & MEM going forward. Imo they had their chances and didn't capitalize; they are headed south. And I'm saying their current team going forward isn't better than the strong teams in the league i.e. CLE, SA, GS etc...

The answer to both your first and second points/questions is simple... Carmelo Anthony / Superstar

Unless you consider Rose, Connely, Lee stars? Or perhaps that Butler and Gasol are their teams stars, their teams, as good as they may be in the regular season will be playoff fodder. Again because they have no stars or not enough.

We offer a Star. A scoring machine when hot is virtually unstoppable and almost all Chip contenders have at least 1. And this one ain't afraid of Bron, KD, or George.

You discount the fact that there are plenty of players who are ALREADY familiar with the triangle. Everyone acts like we'll be introducing the new cure to Cancer. This system is older than most posters on here.

And last but not least I remind you of the Boston Celtics who recently traded their #1 pick, formed a big3, and went to the finals in 1 season. Have some faith.

This ain't Walsh & Dantoni.

Broadway

All Star
I'm saying our rebuilt team should be better than CHI & MEM going forward. Imo they had their chances and didn't capitalize; they are headed south. And I'm saying their current team going forward isn't better than the strong teams in the league i.e. CLE, SA, GS etc...

The answer to both your first and second points/questions is simple... Carmelo Anthony / Superstar

Unless you consider Rose, Connely, Lee stars? Or perhaps that Butler and Gasol are their teams stars, their teams, as good as they may be in the regular season will be playoff fodder. Again because they have no stars or not enough.

We offer a Star. A scoring machine when hot is virtually unstoppable and almost all Chip contenders have at least 1. And this one ain't afraid of Bron, KD, or George.

You discount the fact that there are plenty of players who are ALREADY familiar with the triangle. Everyone acts like we'll be introducing the new cure to Cancer. This system is older than most posters on here.

And last but not least I remind you of the Boston Celtics who recently traded their #1 pick, formed a big3, and went to the finals in 1 season. Have some faith.

This ain't Walsh & Dantoni.

Melo is a BUM he's done nothing. What has Melo done really in comparison to Memphis core(Gasol-Zach-Conley) hardly anything. Phil has had such a suspect first yr as an exec it's not even funny. Can't imagine anyone doing worse than him in their first yr. Ignoring Memphis' ability to improve roster by what I stated in my previous post is simply being an irrational debater. We are in no better position than them and guess what you want their star Gasol for a reason. If he wasn't a star you wouldn't want to pay him a 4yr 30% of Cap deal. You're trying to have it both ways.

San Antonio's chapter is closing. If you have them being relevant going forward for yrs to come well this exposes another flaw in your argument. The Rockets come on have they been out of the first round? Indiana can be really good if things go right but we're further away from them, than Memphis is from OKC and GSW.

They have the potential to have major cap space the yr after we do and they own their picks while being a team that's won 50gms the past few seasons and a playoff team the past 5-6. They've established a winning culture. They have as good a chance as anyone to continue improving.

Memphis
http://www.prosportstransactions.com/basketball/DraftTrades/Future/Grizzlies.htm

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/memphis.htm

Knicks
http://www.prosportstransactions.com/basketball/DraftTrades/Future/Knicks.htm

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/new_york.htm

Sorry I don't see the advantages as you do and until what you think will happen which won't happen, things remain as is less favorable for us. The cap may increase to $88-90mil in 2016-2017

Last edited:

Red

TYPE-A
Melo is a BUM he's done nothing. What has Melo done really in comparison to Memphis core(Gasol-Zach-Conley) hardly anything. Phil has had such a suspect first yr as an exec it's not even funny. Can't imagine anyone doing worse than him in their first yr. Ignoring Memphis' ability to improve roster by what I stated in my previous post is simply being an irrational debater. We are in no better position than them and guess what you want their star Gasol for a reason. If he wasn't a star you wouldn't want to pay him a 5yr 30% of Cap deal. You're trying to have it both ways.

San Antonio's chapter is closing. If you have them being relevant going forward for yrs to come well this exposes another flaw in your argument. The Rockets come on have they been out of the first round? Indiana can be really good if things go right but we're further away from them, than Memphis is from OKC and GSW.

They have the potential to have major cap space the yr after we do and they own their picks while being a team that's won 50gms the past few seasons and a playoff team the past 5-6. They've established a winning culture. They have as good a chance as anyone to continue improving.

Memphis
http://www.prosportstransactions.com/basketball/DraftTrades/Future/Grizzlies.htm

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/memphis.htm

Knicks
http://www.prosportstransactions.com/basketball/DraftTrades/Future/Knicks.htm

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/new_york.htm

Sorry I don't see the advantages as you do and until what you think will happen which won't happen, things remain as is less favorable for us. The cap may increase to $88-90mil in 2016-2017

I love reading the above because it underscores and reminds me of what I call NBA amnesia; you think the team's competing well in the regular season are the same teams to win the chip...love it. Fortunately my memory works fine and for some reason the majority of regular season teams who make the postseason lose especially those who lack stars. This year it'll probably be ATL or GS. And for some reason it shakes out to be SA or in the past MIA there but some would believe teams like Memphis have a chance... they don't. Z-Bo is old. Tony Allen is old. Everyone thinks teams like say Portland or LAC who are good regular season teams really have a shot; all they have to do is make it. They don't. The game slows, showtime is curtailed, and they wind up battling but losing while teams with stars win in the NBA.

If you didn't read my post I said "unless you consider Gasol or Butler stars" meaning I acknowledge their skills as being the best players on their respective teams and that being the case they'll still lose.
San Antonio's chapter was supposed to be closing for 10 years now..but it doesn't... I wonder why?
And don't think that I believe Houston or GS are some great teams because I know better than that, they have stars but still are unproven. My point there is that MEM isn't better than them thus they'll be right next to us with the 29 other losers.

And Melo is a Bum? Word? I think you've said enough.

Every June for like the past 5 years I keep seeing LeBron James and Tim Duncan. No matter how many 50 game winning teams begin the playoffs, it always shakes out with a LeBron vs someone. Well guess what... we have one of the only few players who can and isn't afraid to go at him. Does Memphis have that? Without a reliable Rose and no Deng, does Chicago have that? Nope.

So stop comparing the "team" of Memphis to an individual like Melo.

And last but not least..I'm laughing (literally) at you and everyone for that matter who believed Phil would do something other than what he has done with this team in 1 year. Lol jokes on you. You thought he'd make the same mistakes as his predecessors...smh.

paris401

Starter
Every June for like the past 5 years I keep seeing LeBron James and Tim Duncan. .

and where is Me-Lo every june??? why isn't such a star playing in june??? why...why...why...?????

Red

TYPE-A
and where is Me-Lo every june??? why isn't such a star playing in june??? why...why...why...?????

Melo is an individual and teams make playoffs not individuals. The answer is simple: Melo isn't playing in June because his teams weren't good enough. Hello?!

Where is Rose in June? Where is Chris Paul? Where is Harden? On and on...

Team, Individual, .make the distinction. Melo didn't make the playoffs every year for his first years in league, the Denver Nuggets made the playoffs.

Melo didn't lose in the WCF, his team did.

Your question should be where have the Knicks been in June? They were home playing golf with 28 other teams while watching a proven coach/system (Pop, some triangle), battle another team that colluded to go to 4 straight finals.

It's time we collude.

Please. Not another war between the pro-Melo and anti-Melo contingents on this board. The forum has just started getting active again. Please.

Broadway

All Star
I love reading the above because it underscores and reminds me of what I call NBA amnesia; you think the team's competing well in the regular season are the same teams to win the chip...love it. Fortunately my memory works fine and for some reason the majority of regular season teams who make the postseason lose especially those who lack stars. This year it'll probably be ATL or GS. And for some reason it shakes out to be SA or in the past MIA there but some would believe teams like Memphis have a chance... they don't. Z-Bo is old. Tony Allen is old. Everyone thinks teams like say Portland or LAC who are good regular season teams really have a shot; all they have to do is make it. They don't. The game slows, showtime is curtailed, and they wind up battling but losing while teams with stars win in the NBA.

If you didn't read my post I said "unless you consider Gasol or Butler stars" meaning I acknowledge their skills as being the best players on their respective teams and that being the case they'll still lose.
San Antonio's chapter was supposed to be closing for 10 years now..but it doesn't... I wonder why?
And don't think that I believe Houston or GS are some great teams because I know better than that, they have stars but still are unproven. My point there is that MEM isn't better than them thus they'll be right next to us with the 29 other losers.

Every June for like the past 5 years I keep seeing LeBron James and Tim Duncan. No matter how many 50 game winning teams begin the playoffs, it always shakes out with a LeBron vs someone. Well guess what... we have one of the only few players who can and isn't afraid to go at him. Does Memphis have that? Without a reliable Rose and no Deng, does Chicago have that? Nope.

And last but not least..I'm laughing (literally) at you and everyone for that matter who believed Phil would do something other than what he has done with this team in 1 year. Lol jokes on you. You thought he'd make the same mistakes as his predecessors...smh.

You're doing too much side barring and not discussing the particulars of what it will take for a team to improve. San Antonio while yes still relevant Duncan and Ginobli will not play forever simple logic of time is all that's needed here. You're trying to stamp Memphis down because you know deep down inside we don't have a shot. So you come off more like

"Breaking News..... Marc Gasol Resigns With Memphis"

Red: "Ha ha ha good luck Marc you're never gonna win a chip there, you should have signed here Phil was gonna deliver you a Ring"<-------lol

Being prematurely bitter isn't a good look for you. If you want to discuss what it takes for teams to improve and what Memphis has on the horizon and what we have on the horizon let's go into the finer details.

Tkf

Benchwarmer

RED , carmelo is a bum, he is in decline, he is a career loser. Phil made the biggest blunder of his short exec career by bringing that fool back. Let me ask this? why are you and other knick fans trying to corral other teams stars? do you hear of anyone else saying, "if we could get carmelo" even as a free agent last year, the buzz was very little. That says a lot.

Knick fans want to avoid the hard rebuild, having an unplanned disaster of a year is NOT REBUILDING!!! It is failure, and a top pick and a free agent is not saving this team.. we need a direction. And that should have started over a year ago by dumping that big sack of lard in carmelo. We should not be going without picks in any year.. because guess what, next year we won't have a pick.

Guys like gasol are in the prime of their career, they are not looking for rebuilds or partial rebuilds or experiments. He could easily stay in memphis and have a legit shot at a title over the next 4 years...

The dreaming, the ridiculous expectations all needs to stop with NY fans. If you just step back and look at the talent deficiency on this team, it will depress you. The way to change that is to take the time and methodically build that up.. Now you don't have to be bad for long in this league, but you can. we are proof, and until we completely change the process we will get the same results..

Phil brings false hope of change, evidence of that is the trade for calderon and the resigning of fatmelo!! I have little faith in that dude... so yea phil is making the same mistakes as his predecessors.. He is just doing it with a few smirks and some cryptic quotes to the media. He has fans fooled so far.. but that is not that hard.... that bafoon carmelo has done it for 3 years now...

Tkf

Benchwarmer
Melo is an individual and teams make playoffs not individuals. The answer is simple: Melo isn't playing in June because his teams weren't good enough. Hello?!

Where is Rose in June? Where is Chris Paul? Where is Harden? On and on...

Team, Individual, .make the distinction. Melo didn't make the playoffs every year for his first years in league, the Denver Nuggets made the playoffs.

Melo didn't lose in the WCF, his team did.

Your question should be where have the Knicks been in June? They were home playing golf with 28 other teams while watching a proven coach/system (Pop, some triangle), battle another team that colluded to go to 4 straight finals.

It's time we collude.

it is easy to build good teams around great players.. You have to build a team that is dysfunctional to fit carmelo, because he does little else but score, and he doesn't do that efficiently, while playing out of position because it suits him( he can't guard SF).

I am not sure what you are expecting. There is a reason why certain players are on good teams no matter where they go... trust me, it has a lot to do with that player enhancing that environment. carmelo enhances his bank account. That dude is a slug.

Phil is a Jerk for bringing him back at that absolutely ridiculous contract..

Red

TYPE-A
You're doing too much side barring and not discussing the particulars of what it will take for a team to improve. San Antonio while yes still relevant Duncan and Ginobli will not play forever simple logic of time is all that's needed here. You're trying to stamp Memphis down because you know deep down inside we don't have a shot. So you come off more like

"Breaking News..... Marc Gasol Resigns With Memphis"

Red: "Ha ha ha good luck Marc you're never gonna win a chip there, you should have signed here Phil was gonna deliver you a Ring"<-------lol

Being prematurely bitter isn't a good look for you. If you want to discuss what it takes for teams to improve and what Memphis has on the horizon and what we have on the horizon let's go into the finer details.

Apparently you missed the part where I wrote the chances are slim to none but not impossible of acquiring any RFA.

In my opinion Memphis isn't that strong. They were a few years back due to their defense but guess what happened... they lost to a team with a superstar, go figure and accept the fact that our opinions differ.

What system did his brother win a chip with? oh yeah the triangle- go figure.

And to those who point out that Gasol is loyal to Memphis and his parents are there.. I'd say he's a grown-ass-man.

But again I'd like him but we don't need him. He'll need a Melo before we'll need a Gasol. Too bad he probably won't realize this.

Broadway

All Star
Apparently you missed the part where I wrote the chances are slim to none but not impossible of acquiring any RFA.

In my opinion Memphis isn't that strong. They were a few years back due to their defense but guess what happened... they lost to a team with a superstar, go figure and accept the fact that our opinions differ.

And to those who point out that Gasol is loyal to Memphis and his parents are there.. I'd say he's a grown-ass-man.

But again I'd like him but we don't need him. He'll need a Melo before we'll need a Gasol. Too bad he probably won't realize this.

Naaaaah it's impossible we get any of (Green, Butler, Durant, Gasol, Aldridge, Leonard)

Melol @ he'll need a Melo

Why didn't Pau Gasol sign here during the summer when Phil pursued him and Melo endorsed the move. You know so he could play in the triangle and win another chip? Why is Pau playing in Chicago?

Tkf

Benchwarmer

Say what????????????????????????????

Red

TYPE-A
Naaaaah it's impossible we get any of (Green, Butler, Durant, Gasol, Aldridge, Leonard)

Melol @ he'll need a Melo

Why didn't Pau Gasol sign here during the summer when Phil pursued him and Melo endorsed the move. You know so he could play in the triangle and win another chip? Why is Pau playing in Chicago?

That's easy... money.

And Pau already won a chip, he ain't hungry.