Will the 70 yr old Knicks president put together a playoff roster in offseason?

Kiyaman

Legend
Has the Knicks 70 yr old president been paying attention to the 2015 postseason games to build a team that plays on both sides of the court next season?

Schmeelk: NBA Playoffs Show Why Knicks Need To Acquire 2-Way Players This Summer
Teams That Do It At Both Ends Of Court Have Been Very Impressive This Postseason

Playoff basketball is different than regular season basketball. It is a phrase uttered a lot this time of year, sometimes appropriately, sometimes not.

But one thing that consistently gets exploited in the postseason is matchups on both sides of the floor. If there is a weak link on offense or defense, the opponent will take advantage of it over and over again until an adjustment is made. These back-and-forth chess matches often determine the end results of a series.

We’ve already seen it this spring. The Golden State Warriors decided they weren’t going to cover Tony Allen, and dared him to beat them in Game 4. He couldn’t. When Joakim Noah has the ball for the Chicago Bulls, the Cleveland Cavaliers barely guard him, knowing he is absolutely no threat offensively. It makes his screens for Derrick Rose much less effective. On the flip side, when Nikola Mirotic plays, he is endlessly attacked on screen and rolls because of his defensive issues.

This happened to the Knicks during their last playoff run when Ray Felton played major minutes. He was targeted by opposing point guards time and time again. Whenever Steve Novak was put into a game, he became a target for opposing offenses. The same with Amar’e Stoudemire. Unless he was rolling to the hoop, Tyson Chandler was often left completely alone on the perimeter because he wasn’t willing or able to take a short jump shot. When Iman Shumpert was going through his shooting slumps he was often left open and couldn’t take advantage of it.

You can get away with playing those types of players in the regular season for short stretches, but it will eventually burn you against better-coached teams and in the playoffs. It is hard to win playing a virtual game of five on four on either end.

That’s what makes the Warriors so dangerous. Nearly every player that plays significant minutes for them is a two-way player that can play defense, and be a threat offensively. The Los Angeles Clippers are the same way, spare DeAndre Jordan and his lack of an offensive game spare. So are the San Antonio Spurs. Their players can hold their own on both ends of the floor. Jeff Teague, Al Horford, Paul Millsap, and DeMarre Carrol all fit under that umbrella, while Kyle Korver has improved on defense. All five starters for the Washington Wizards, John Wall, Bradley Beal, Nene, Marcin Gortat and Paul Pierce, play both ends of the floor as well.

Whenever Phil Jackson talks about getting players for the Knicks, he talks about finding complete basketball players that have a varied skill set. He wants guys that can shoot, pass and play defense. If everyone on the court has the ability to score, make a play, and guard on defense, it leaves few, if any, weaknesses to exploit. Those types of teams are going to have more success over the course of a seven-game series. It makes it more difficult to match up and exploit weak links in the roster.

In the new, specialized NBA, those players are becoming more and more difficult to find, which will make Jackson’s offseason free agent hunt all the more difficult. Potential restricted free agents like Draymond Green and Jimmy Butler excel on both ends, so making max offers to both players is something the Knicks shouldn’t blink an eye at doing. Potentially cheaper players like Danny Green, Khris Middleton and the recovering Wesley Matthews are the exact type of players that Jackson needs to surround Carmelo Anthony and whomever the Knicks draft with if they want to have success.

As a small forward, Anthony can be exploited defensively, but playing power forward he has the quickness to stay in front of opponents and the strength to bang down low. He can be a good enough two-way player if he is put in the right position and used the right way. But he needs versatile and effective defenders around him to be that type of player.

Karl-Anthony Towns is the big man in the draft with the most two-way potential, though his offensive game is raw. His mid-range jumper will allow him to be a threat during his rookie season until his post-up game catches up. Jahlil Okafor can be an 18-8 guy as a rookie but his defense was understandably questioned during his freshman season in college. People wonder about D’Angelo Russell’s defense on the next level due to his strength and explosive athleticism deficiencies. Expecting any rookie to be good on both ends in his first year is asking too much.

Jackson needs to put together a complete team that is good on both ends of the floor this offseason. It is going to be a challenge, but one he needs to meet head on if the Knicks want to be playing in the middle of May next year and beyond. There are players to be had with those skill sets. Jackson just needs to convince them to come to New York.

Should fans b optimistic about the ZEN (and Zeke) putting together a 2015-16 Knicks playoff team???
1) Yes?
2) No?

Last edited:
I really don't think it's much of a challenge to make a team good enough to be a 6 through 8 seed in the East given that most years you get into the playoffs in the East with a losing record. That said, I don't think we will see all that much as far as results in this one offseason. I have the feeling that PJ resists the urge for some of the quick fixes available this offseason in free agency and as a result, we may only improve marginally in the 2015-16 season. I think the real target for this franchise has become having a legit NBA roster for the 2016-17 season.

tiger0330

Legend
I really don't think it's much of a challenge to make a team good enough to be a 6 through 8 seed in the East given that most years you get into the playoffs in the East with a losing record. That said, I don't think we will see all that much as far as results in this one offseason. I have the feeling that PJ resists the urge for some of the quick fixes available this offseason in free agency and as a result, we may only improve marginally in the 2015-16 season. I think the real target for this franchise has become having a legit NBA roster for the 2016-17 season.
In theory if the Hawks can go from the 8th seed to the number 1 in one season the Knicks should be able to turn around their record setting losing season next year with a top 5 lottery pick and ~27M in cap space. The cap space and pick are why I'm not giving PJ a pass for next season, I'm not looking for the Knicks to make it into the 2nd round but like you say 7th or 8th seed is realistic in a weak EC.

PJ is going to need some help from the existing roster, THJ and Early have to play like NBA rotation players next season and maybe Ante can help, maybe we can re-sign Shved or Bargs to a vet min deal. 27M is not a lot of money when you're talking about bringing in 5-7 new players so the Knicks are going to need some luck in bringing in players with their exceptions and vet min deals.

tiger0330

Legend
Here's an article from the same author on Knick options this off-season. Question for Broadway, any way the Knicks can maximize their spending by going over the cap after they sign their FA's and then using exceptions like the MLE to get an additional rotation player?

Schmeelk: Examining The Knicks’ Free-Agency Options

As the first round of the NBA playoffs churns onwards, the Knicks are still plotting their offseason plans. Phil Jackson is watching players like Marc Gasol, Jimmy Butler, LaMarcus Aldridge and Draymond Green, all of whom (or none of which) could be targets of the Knicks this summer.

Without the NBA draft lottery taking place yet, there’s still no telling who the Knicks might get in the draft, which makes specific planning in free agency no more than a fool’s errand. But discussing general approach and strategy is something the Knicks should either be considering, or have already decided on.

The entire goal this offseason is maximizing the team’s assets. Whether that asset is a draft pick, salary-cap money or the talent already on the roster, Jackson needs to get the most out of all of them. That means not throwing bad dollars at big names or trading their first-round pick for a bloated contract.

MAXING OUT

Jackson has iterated on more than one occasion that he won’t be hunting around for a max player this offseason. Odds are Jackson said this mostly because he is trying to soften the blow for Knicks fans when their top targets decide to stay with their current team for more years and money than the Knicks are allowed to offer.

There could be as many as a half-dozen or more max contracts given out to unrestricted free agents this offseason, though in the long run few will be worth the money paid. Even with the salary cap going up the next two offseason, having Greg Monroe locked up at $17 million or more per season for half a decade is not going to lead to a championship. There are some exceptions, like Gasol, but even the top unrestricted free agents this offseason all have questions marks.

Players that fall into this category: Gasol, Aldridge, Rajon Rondo, Monroe, DeAndre Jordan and Roy Hibbert.

Other guys have player options and can become free agents: LeBron James, Kevin Love, Dwayne Wade, Arron Afflalo, Luol Deng, Al Jefferson, Brook Lopez and Goran Dragic.

Finding bargains in the group will be near impossible, and a lot of these players will be on the wrong side of 30 next year as well. For now, I think the Knicks should stay away.

RESTRICTIONS ARE MADE TO BE BROKEN

Restricted free agency is where a lot of the action might be for the Knicks this offseason. There are a number of budding young stars that will be restricted free agents this offseason that are far more likely to provide long-term value than some of the unrestricted veterans.

There are a number of problems with pursuing restricted free agents. For one, opposing teams can offer a maximum qualifying offer, which is a five-year contract at max dollars and 7.5 percent annual raises. A max qualifying offer would prevent the Knicks from offering a one-year deal that might be enticing to these young players due to the expanding salary cap. Teams have three days to match any offer sheet the Knicks might make, and that waiting period would put the Knicks’ pursuit of other big free agents in a waiting period in which they could lose out on other potential targets.

The payoff is obvious: getting extremely talented young players locked up long-term for money that will look reasonable under what is going to be a salary cap that might rise by upwards of 60 percent over the next two offseasons.

All of these players could be worth maximum qualifying offers: Kawhi Leonard, Butler, Green and Brandon Knight.

These guys could be had for less: Reggie Jackson, Khris Middleton, Tobias Harris, Jae Crowder and Enes Kanter.

Despite the drawbacks, the Knicks might find the most bang for their buck here. Any of the first four names above would be great additions, even at maximum contracts. The second group could be had for midrange money (Middleton and Jackson for more than the others).

SHOPPING IN THE DISCOUNT AISLE

These guys aren’t likely going to get less than $5 million per year, but they should be had for salaries starting in the $3 million to $8 million range.

They should be able to provide better value than some of the max contracts mentioned earlier: Wesley Matthews (thanks to his torn Achilles), Robin Lopez, Thaddeus Young, Kosta Koufos, Gerald Green, Jared Dudley, Bismack Biyombo, Mike Dunleavy, Al-Farouq Aminu, Austin Rivers and Brandan Wright.

We’ll break down the above players more specifically moving forward, but if I were the Knicks I would do my best to score one of the top restricted free agents and then spend the rest of the cap space in the discount aisle, understanding some of those players might not be discounts at all. The Knicks have a lot of options, and they desperately need to use the next two months to figure out the best path for the franchise.

Kiyaman

Legend
A playoff roster isn't that hard to have in the East

Its been hard for the Knicks to build a playoff roster in the East.
A thought .....
I wonder are there any teams willing to sign both FA brothers Brook & Robin Lopez as their frontline bigs?
I wonder why Phil & Mills were making all the noise about signing Detroit RFA Monroe, when Derek Fisher tutorship of RFA Reggie Jackson lead OKC to a 59 & 60 win season the 2 years Westbook were injury-prone.

mafra

Legend
Its been hard for the Knicks to build a playoff roster in the East.
A thought .....
I wonder are there any teams willing to sign both FA brothers Brook & Robin Lopez as their frontline bigs?
I wonder why Phil & Mills were making all the noise about signing Detroit RFA Monroe, when Derek Fisher tutorship of RFA Reggie Jackson lead OKC to a 59 & 60 win season the 2 years Westbook were injury-prone.

Reggie Jackson and Brandon Knight are both RFAs; They're both the best available options to be our starting PGs, but I would pass (overpaying for players is how you bury yourself). Sure, the both have potential... but neither has produced enough to warrant 12-15 per year investments.

Knicks have about 28 mil to play with. We need 3-5 players.

Greg Monroe is a start. Then, hope to convince David West, Al Jefferson or Paul Milsap to sign a 1 year deal (so they can cash in next Summer when cap increases). If not, sign Brandon Wright.

If Phil is going to earn his money, he'll need to lure Gasol, Aldrich, D-Green, or J-Butler. Green & Butler are RFAs, so NYK are at mercy of GSW & CHI.

Knicks better have done their homework. They have to discover gems.. Three 3-mil-per-year type players that'll compliment Melo, Monroe, our draft pick, and our #2 free agent target. 12-15 mil for Monroe, 8-10 mil for target #2, a MLE guy, and 2 3-4 mil guys.

How about guys like: Gerald Green, Gerald Henderson, Eric Gordon, Khris Middleton, Robyn Lopez, T-Harris, Thad Young...

I think... dream scenario... we get Monroe and either Knight/Jackson/Butler. Plus, we sprinkle in 2 guys from above.

Brandon Knight
THjr / Winslow
Melo
Brandon Wright
Monroe

Galloway, Henderson, Lopez off the bench

Paul1355

All Star
Reggie Jackson and Brandon Knight are both RFAs; They're both the best available options to be our starting PGs, but I would pass (overpaying for players is how you bury yourself). Sure, the both have potential... but neither has produced enough to warrant 12-15 per year investments.

Knicks have about 28 mil to play with. We need 3-5 players.

Greg Monroe is a start. Then, hope to convince David West, Al Jefferson or Paul Milsap to sign a 1 year deal (so they can cash in next Summer when cap increases). If not, sign Brandon Wright.

If Phil is going to earn his money, he'll need to lure Gasol, Aldrich, D-Green, or J-Butler. Green & Butler are RFAs, so NYK are at mercy of GSW & CHI.

Knicks better have done their homework. They have to discover gems.. Three 3-mil-per-year type players that'll compliment Melo, Monroe, our draft pick, and our #2 free agent target. 12-15 mil for Monroe, 8-10 mil for target #2, a MLE guy, and 2 3-4 mil guys.

How about guys like: Gerald Green, Gerald Henderson, Eric Gordon, Khris Middleton, Robyn Lopez, T-Harris, Thad Young...

I think... dream scenario... we get Monroe and either Knight/Jackson/Butler. Plus, we sprinkle in 2 guys from above.

Brandon Knight
THjr / Winslow
Melo
Brandon Wright
Monroe

Galloway, Henderson, Lopez off the bench
Good post but I think Danny green is an unrestricted free agent??

I do like your ideas. We need to round out the roster and I think that's Phils plan. We have about 9 open roster spots and cant waste all of our money on 1 or 2 players. He will probably offer a max to guys like gasol, Aldridge, love and Monroe....the prototypical big men that fit his triangle. I think he views every other position ad second fiddle so don't expect a max for a guard or small forward

Wargames

Starter
rumors are that the hawks want to at least have the money available to try to keep Milsap and Carroll. The best way for them to do that is to move their #15 pick with a few small short contracts for a TPE. The knicks could absorb those contracts, stretch provision them, and still have around 27 mil if they do a stretch provision on Calderon as well.

#4 and #15 would be a good look for the knicks.

rumors are that the hawks want to at least have the money available to try to keep Milsap and Carroll. The best way for them to do that is to move their #15 pick with a few small short contracts for a TPE. The knicks could absorb those contracts, stretch provision them, and still have around 27 mil if they do a stretch provision on Calderon as well.

#4 and #15 would be a good look for the knicks.

Interesting. This sounds like one of the few ways for us to get an extra 1st round pick that could be logistically doable. Not sure we have a savvy enough front office to make something like this happen though.

We already have the Knicks internet rumor of the day, I think, and it falls under the category of "let's find a way to tie every free agent to the Knicks'.

Apparently, DeMarre Carroll would like to play for Derek Fisher because Derek Fisher used to be his workout partner in Southern California a few years ago. That's literally the extent of the rumor I've read at this point.

Assuming there's any truth to this, Carroll seems to fall under the Greg Monroe category to me in that he is definitely nowhere near a max player, so if he has any interest in us we could definitely get him by outbidding everyone else. I like Carroll's game a lot, but he's 28 and just had a career year. He seems like a huge bust candidate for the money that he will likely command after this last season.

mafra

Legend
We already have the Knicks internet rumor of the day, I think, and it falls under the category of "let's find a way to tie every free agent to the Knicks'.

Apparently, DeMarre Carroll would like to play for Derek Fisher because Derek Fisher used to be his workout partner in Southern California a few years ago. That's literally the extent of the rumor I've read at this point.

Assuming there's any truth to this, Carroll seems to fall under the Greg Monroe category to me in that he is definitely nowhere near a max player, so if he has any interest in us we could definitely get him by outbidding everyone else. I like Carroll's game a lot, but he's 28 and just had a career year. He seems like a huge bust candidate for the money that he will likely command after this last season.

I would sign Carroll for 8 mil per... And Monroe for 12 mil per. If they want more, then I would give them "opt out" after next season (when cap will increase)

That's 20 mil; add 4 mill we might bring back if we swap Calderon for Lawson... And we still have some money to play with.

Let's say, for argument's sake, DEN covets Mudiay-Pirzings-Herzonia... enough to trade up and swap picks with us. Give us Lawson (or Faired) while taking Calderon...

Would signing Monroe, plus D-Carroll, acquiring Lawson, and drafting Winslow (or WCS) be enough? Add a MLE and a smaller signing...

Lawson
Winslow
Carroll
Melo
Monroe

or

Lawson
Carroll
Melo
Monroe
WCS

or

Galloway
Carroll
Melo
Faired
Monroe

Is this enough?

I say this: Give me B-Jennings over Lawson. He makes same $ as Calderon... this is his contract year. That extra 4 mil could fetch us a Brandon Wright or Eric Gordon.

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
Mafra: You dropped some decent options aside from "Greg Monroe" being a horrible option. More than likely a realistic option who looks primed to sign here based on reading between the tea leaves. Most recently article written by Ian O'connor(not a favorable one at all)

Knicks will have about $26-29mil depending on who they bring back cap hits and whatnot. The Knicks have to renounce almost all of their exceptions practically, to preserve the cap space. We can't go over the cap to sign our own free agents unless we don't renounce a single soul from last yr's roster and kept their hits on the book placing us over the cap(totally nullifies trying to acquire as much cap space necessary). Whoever we bring back outside of maybe Shved is getting peanuts on pennies

I think we even have to renounce our TPEs too, if I'm not mistaken. http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q14

When it's said the Knicks have about $26-29mil to spend we might as well keep it locked in our minds that's all the money we have to spend aside from Vet Min deals and a Bi-Annual. http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q25

Once again talking about players like Monroe and even Knight(who I want if we don't draft Mudiay), both are going to command minimal salaries respectively..... Monroe($15-20mil) and Knight($12-15mil). Sorry we don't have the cap space to achieve the scenarios some of you a looking for.

Take for instance Atlanta is prepared to offer Milsap($18mil/yr) and Carroll($10mil/yr) if they have to and they more than likely will have to.

We might have a puncher's chance at getting Knight($12mil), Amir($9mil), Henderson($7mil) in free agency. That's a huge IF, kissing the potential Whiff. And while these guys could help improve roster nothing jumps at you, that says "Championship on the Horizon."

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend

His agent wants a 12M/year deal for him, that's not max money but Carroll has come out of nowhere so you're paying him for what he did this season an in the post-season.

He's the junk yard dog so I think his improvement is real and not just the result of playing for a big contract.

I would love to have him but 12M for a guy that plays the same position as Melo, I think Phil will invest that in a big like Monroe before Demarre.

tiger0330

Legend
With Tristan Thompson looking ready to take over the starting PF spot for the Cavs, it seems likely that KLove may look to use his player option and leave the Cavs. Is he a player Phil should go after?

Wargames

Starter
With Tristan Thompson looking ready to take over the starting PF spot for the Cavs, it seems likely that KLove may look to use his player option and leave the Cavs. Is he a player Phil should go after?

if the plan is Melo at the 3 sure, but if they want to put Melo at the 4 idk

Kiyaman

Legend

Phil Jackson first move in offseason should be HIRING Tom Thibodeau ....

Chicago Bulls fire coach Tom Thibodeau after 5 seasons

No No to Keven Love .. his WEAK-weak Defense got him thrown out of Cleveland. Hell No!
We already have a non-defensive Melo for 4 more seasons.
And we looking to give non-defensive Monroe $10M per for 5 yrs.

Carrol and Milsap, and Dramond Green plays great defense .. all three players would be dynamic stars at the SF spot, their teams play small-ball putting these three muscle players at PF.

6.9 Trinston Thompson has turned into a real NBA PF .. after one season with Lebron .. watch the FINALS
u can put Thompson name next to the real NBA PF .. like Duncan, Ibaka, Gasol, Bosh, Dirk, Zach, Griffin, Anthony Davis

Will the FA players in offseason use Phil Jackson to negotiate a higher payday from the team they want to go to like Steve Kerr did last offseason???

tiger0330

Legend
Phil Jackson first move in offseason should be HIRING Tom Thibodeau ....

No No to Keven Love .. his WEAK-weak Defense got him thrown out of Cleveland. Hell No!
We already have a non-defensive Melo for 4 more seasons.
And we looking to give non-defensive Monroe $10M per for 5 yrs.

Carrol and Milsap, and Dramond Green plays great defense .. all three players would be dynamic stars at the SF spot, their teams play small-ball putting these three muscle players at PF.

6.9 Trinston Thompson has turned into a real NBA PF .. after one season with Lebron .. watch the FINALS
u can put Thompson name next to the real NBA PF .. like Duncan, Ibaka, Gasol, Bosh, Dirk, Zach, Griffin, Anthony Davis

Will the FA players in offseason use Phil Jackson to negotiate a higher payday from the team they want to go to like Steve Kerr did last offseason???
Tristan T. has Lebron on his side with the King saying he should be a Cav for life. He turned down a 48M/4 yr extension so it'll be interesting what the Cavs have to pay him.

It'll be an awkward year for KLove if he opts in with him taking a backseat to TT. Can you see the Cavs paying 16M for a backup PF? KLove may pick up his option and stay with the Cavs to become a FA in 2016 when the cap is expected to explode or he could request a trade this off-season.

Tristan T. has Lebron on his side with the King saying he should be a Cav for life. He turned down a 48M/4 yr extension so it'll be interesting what the Cavs have to pay him.

It'll be an awkward year for KLove if he opts in with him taking a backseat to TT. Can you see the Cavs paying 16M for a backup PF? KLove may pick up his option and stay with the Cavs to become a FA in 2016 when the cap is expected to explode or he could request a trade this off-season.

Wojo is reporting that no matter what Kevin Love will opt out once this season is over. It seems unclear if he would be open to staying with Cleveland, even if they offered a max deal, but for the reasons you listed above, it seems like a strong possibility that he will be elsewhere at the start of next season. Personally, I think we would be crazy to turn down a player like Love for a max deal, if by some miracle he wanted to play for us, when we are considering a double digit plus yearly contract for a guy like Monroe, but he is a bad fit for us. If Love has no interest in playing for us, then I really don't care where he goes, unless he ends up on Boston, which would just piss me off.