Why the Knicks will draft Justice Winslow

Paul1355

All Star
10 reasons why Knicks will draft Justice Winslow assuming they don't trade the pick

1) Russell will be taken- the Knicks would prefer Russell if he falls into their lap (Jackson personally scouted him and got fined for commenting on his game) but 76ers are very high on the Ohio product that is good friends with Embiid and Noel

2) Carmelo approves- Carmelo is heavily involved in the offseason acquisitions which he admitted himself. Him and Winslow were spotted hanging out at a Yankees game which means Carmelo approves.

3) Knicks do not trust Mudiay with 4th pick- not only do knicks like Winslows game but they do not trust Mudiays game...reports say Knicks are high on Winslow and not on Mudiay

4) Winslow might have been mvp for Duke this season- winning an ncaa championship improves draft stock but winning it and being maybe the key piece to the puzzle will almost grant a top pick in draft

5) Jackson wants two way players- Winslow might be 2nd best two way player behind Towns in draft

6) Jackson loves guys that can defend and favors them- Jackson has said numerous times how the team defense needs to be a focus

7) Drafting Winslow will move Melo to his more preferred PF spot- with Winslow playing small forward Melo can slide into that 4 spot and be a dynamic triangle high post threat.

8) Winslow fits the winning culture model that Jackson is preaching- again the ncaa championship and being clutch in tournament say a lot for winslows case...plus he comes from a highly respected program and coach in duke

9) The triangle does not demand a dynamic pg like Mudiay....Jackson will favor other positions over pg

10) It's more about Mudiay than Winslow- if Mudiay played more than 10 games this season and went to the combine than maybe this would be a lock at 4...however little is known about him and Winslow made national headlines at Duke this year. Knicks wont invest their future on a mystery man that played in China.

Thoughts?

Wargames

Starter
Your list is right for the most part but nothing is set in stone until these guys work out for the knicks. I have a feeling they will invite both to the same work out and have them go at each other one on one. Whoever performs best knowing both money and a higher spot is on the line, will likely get the pick.

Also not for nothing I wouldn't be surprised if either of them play the SG for the knicks next season. Also I again wouldn't be surprised if by the time the knicks are done with FA both guys start their career coming off the bench.

tiger0330

Legend
I said in another thread that the team that drafted Winslow would be very happy so I think you're right. Chad Ford is one of those reporting what you said about the Knicks liking him more than Mudiay so right now Winslow has got the edge.

We still have a larger need for a big man so don't rule out WCS, Porzingis or Kaminsky when we pick though I think that would be a mistake but its the Knicks.

Paul1355

All Star
I said in another thread that the team that drafted Winslow would be very happy so I think you're right. Chad Ford is one of those reporting what you said about the Knicks liking him more than Mudiay so right now Winslow has got the edge.

We still have a larger need for a big man so don't rule out WCS, Porzingis or Kaminsky when we pick though I think that would be a mistake but its the Knicks.
I might be okay with Willey cauley stein but Kaminsky or some no name from europe I would not like

Paul1355

All Star
Your list is right for the most part but nothing is set in stone until these guys work out for the knicks. I have a feeling they will invite both to the same work out and have them go at each other one on one. Whoever performs best knowing both money and a higher spot is on the line, will likely get the pick.

Also not for nothing I wouldn't be surprised if either of them play the SG for the knicks next season. Also I again wouldn't be surprised if by the time the knicks are done with FA both guys start their career coming off the bench.
Hardaway has played so poorly in his second season that I wouldnt be surprised if Winslow played SG

Paul1355

All Star
hes got shumpert written all over him, a bit overrated to get picked top 10...
Thats a scary comparison that I disagree with.
First off Shump never had the college success on such a big spotlight as Winslow did at Duke.

Second, Winslow has the same body as Shump but uses it to play a hard nosed physical game. Shumpert had the body and never used it to his advantage.

Third, Winslow is a much better scorer than Shump. Winslow shot over 50% from 2 point land and 41% from 3 point land. Shump in college struggled with his outside shot and shot a low percentage if I recall. That was the one knock on Shumps game was that he might not be able to spread the floor..Winslow doesn't have that problem.

Fourth, Winslow can facilitate. Winslow can be a point forward, Shump had no point skills and was much better off the ball.WInslow averaged over 2 assists a game as a small forward in college with guards like Tyus Jones on the team that would have handled the ball much more.
-A forward that can pass in the triangle can flourish....think Lamar Odom.

Shump was a one dimensional player that had some skill on offense due to his athleticism.

Winslow has an all around game that leans more on defense.

I would say Winslow has the ability at worst to be a poor man's Jimmy Butler/Paul George which is very good.

Last edited:

CoolClyde

I agree with all your points Paul, Winslow is the pick. However, I think Knicks will take Russell if he's still available, he probably won't be... but who knows what the sixers will do?

I watched a number of Duke games, and Winslow's got what it takes to make it in the NBA: he's got an NBA-ready body, he's a two-way player, most importantly, a great defensive player, coming from a well-coached winning culture/philosophy, and he's a champion who led the team as a playmaker and scorer. He's a LEADER!

It seems he's already got the Melo seal of approval, which is VERY important to Phil and Melo and Dolan.

Who is Mudiay? Chinese basketball sensation? Stephon Marbury is the league MVP, don't mean sheeit. agree, too much of an unknown quantity, unless he bounds and astounds Knicks in private workouts.

I'd be happy to see Justise Winslow in a Knicks uniform.

Broadway

All Star
I would say Winslow has the ability at worst to be a poor man's Jimmy Butler/Paul George which is very good.

Winslow has to be at a minimum equal to them and fast...not like 3-4yrs from now. If Phil is gonna to change this franchise's course the kid needs to actually be better than them.

Because if Jimmy Butler(Winslow) is playing Jimmy Butler(Kawhai) is playing Jimmy Butler(Middleton) is playing Jimmy Butler(Matthews) is playing Jimmy Butler(Carroll) is playing Jimmy Butler(Hayward) is playing Jimmy Butler(Lance) is playing Jimmy Butler(Ariza) is playing Jimmy Butler(Porter) is playing Jimmy Butler(Wade) is playing Jimmy Butler(Thompson) is playing Jimmy Butler(Pope) is playing Jimmy Butler(Allen) is playing Jimmy Butler(George) is playing Jimmy Butler(Jimmy Butler)....

Then we don't really have any clear advantage most nights in this league.

mafra

Legend
I am a DUKE fan and like Winslow a lot. He is a solid player at everything (great at nothing tho). To me, it's hard to pass on Mudiay or Pirzingis for JW. Mudiay isn't a mystery to scouts... he was ranked #2 in HS this time last season... AHEAD of C.A.Towns. He is an excellent passer-rebounder-defensive player. THE NYK guards have sucked since early '90s... Unless NYK feel B-Knight is signing here... where else do they turn for a PG?

Passing on Mudiay means Phil only cares abo 2015-2016... and is willing to sacrifice the future. SOME scouts say both Pirzingis and Mudiay are better than even Okafor.

Winslow would be sweet if we trade down a few spots... but not ahead of Mudiay.

As good as Winslow was (and he was the reason DUKE won it all)... He played with Okafor and 2 of the nation's best guards. Defenses didn't try to take him away. There's a reason why, this time last year, colleges coveted Mudiay ahead of Winslow and Towns.

Just b/c we saw Towns and Winslow on TV, doesn't mean they surpassed Mudiay (b/c he played in China). That thinking is shortsighted. NYK passed on B-Jennings once...

I'm not saying Mudiay is better... BUT, I prefer taking the PG. Like in NFL, you draft the QB ahead of the WR-TE-RB.

Knicks need a PG. This kid is a Wall-Kidd-Westbrook type PG. We have plenty of SF options.

Might not even matter tho. LAK might take Mudiay.

Last edited:
I am a DUKE fan and like Winslow a lot. He is a solid player at everything (great at nothing tho). To me, it's hard to pass on Mudiay or Pirzingis for JW. Mudiay isn't a mystery to scouts... he was ranked #2 in HS this time last season... AHEAD of C.A.Towns. He is an excellent passer-rebounder-defensive player. THE NYK guards have sucked since early '90s... Unless NYK feel B-Knight is signing here... where else do they turn for a PG?

Passing on Mudiay means Phil only cares abo 2015-2016... and is willing to sacrifice the future. SOME scouts say both Pirzingis and Mudiay are better than even Okafor.

Winslow would be sweet if we trade down a few spots... but not ahead of Mudiay.

As good as Winslow was (and he was the reason DUKE won it all)... He played with Okafor and 2 of the nation's best guards. Defenses didn't try to take him away. There's a reason why, this time last year, colleges coveted Mudiay ahead of Winslow and Towns.

Just b/c we saw Towns and Winslow on TV, doesn't mean they surpassed Mudiay (b/c he played in China). That thinking is shortsighted. NYK passed on B-Jennings once...

I'm not saying Mudiay is better... BUT, I prefer taking the PG. Like in NFL, you draft the QB ahead of the WR-TE-RB.

Knicks need a PG. This kid is a Wall-Kidd-Westbrook type PG. We have plenty of SF options.

Might not even matter tho. LAK might take Mudiay.

Wouldn't that be a hell of a plot twist that the wink from Byron Scott to Steve Mills was because they leapfrogged us to draft Mudiay? That is one heck of a conspiracy theory.

mafra

Legend
Wouldn't that be a hell of a plot twist that the wink from Byron Scott to Steve Mills was because they leapfrogged us to draft Mudiay? That is one heck of a conspiracy theory.

Stranger things... http://www.forbes.com/sites/markheisler/2015/05/19/something-finally-goes-right-for-lakers-wholl-draft-mudiay-at-no-2-it-says-here/
If TOWNS goes 1st... LAK might pass on Okafor,

"2. Lakers–Mudiay.The draft sites are pencilling in Okafor but I think the Lakes will love Mudiay,the Congo native raised in Texas. He’s not only a major talent at point guardbut Showtime incarnate, a big value for Jerry Buss and his kids."

Broadway

All Star
Stranger things... http://www.forbes.com/sites/markheisler/2015/05/19/something-finally-goes-right-for-lakers-wholl-draft-mudiay-at-no-2-it-says-here/

"2. Lakers–Mudiay.The draft sites are pencilling in Okafor but I think the Lakes will love Mudiay,the Congo native raised in Texas. He’s not only a major talent at point guardbut Showtime incarnate, a big value for Jerry Buss and his kids."

Sounds like Mudiay reps are planting seeds by the read from your link

So we scouted Kentucky practices, not games like a gagillion times most likely salivating over Towns exposing tunnel vision like scouting only to win 3 of our last 4 regular season games, but then didn't find time to....

http://www.slamonline.com/nba/repor...-see-emmanuel-mudiay-play-in-person-in-china/

Sam Hinkie Mr. Tankalicious himself.... made sure he had his ducks in a row in the event Philly received best case worst case scenario.

Steve Mills even admitted in interviews yesterday he's never seen the guy play and that free agency would dictate who we pick? Say what...Free Agency is like 1-2weeks after the draft, you can't even talk to any of them until July 1st. Man are they still allowing agents to dictate the shape of our roster oky doke style?

No wonder we're already taking calls to trade the pick, we sound like we're running an supervised children's daycare

mafra

Legend
Sounds like Mudiay reps are planting seeds by the read from your link

So we scouted Kentucky practices, not games like a gagillion times most likely salivating over Towns exposing tunnel vision like scouting only to win 3 of our last 4 regular season games, but then didn't find time to....

http://www.slamonline.com/nba/repor...-see-emmanuel-mudiay-play-in-person-in-china/

Sam Hinkie Mr. Tankalicious himself.... made sure he had his ducks in a row in the event Philly received best case worst case scenario.

Steve Mills even admitted in interviews yesterday he's never seen the guy play and that free agency would dictate who we pick? Say what...Free Agency is like 1-2weeks after the draft, you can't even talk to any of them until July 1st. Man are they still allowing agents to dictate the shape of our roster oky doke style?

No wonder we're already taking calls to trade the pick, we sound like we're running an supervised children's daycare

In 2009... MEMPHIS selects -Thabeet over Harden.

Point is... this time last year, Mudiay was ranked ahead of Towns. CAT played with 9 All-Americans, in a poor Conf... Mudiay went to China and was injured.

In 2011, Kanter, T-Thomspon, Valancius went ahead of Klay Thompson.

Beasley taken ahead of Westbrook. Darko ahead of Wade. We took Jordan Hill ahead of Brandon Jennings.

Towns is great prospect, but so is Mudiay. Those who say otherwise are clueless... and would take Triston Thompson over Klay Thompson.

mafra

Legend
4.New York Knicks: Emmanuel Mudiay, PG, DR Congo
Maybe if Mudiay had spent the yeardominating the NCAA, he'd be more hyped as an elite prospect, but he'sconsidered a mystery by many fans after spending the year in China. Mudiay isan excellent pick-and-roll playmaker, though he must improve on his shooting.He also has wonderful potential as a defender due to his strength and lateralquickness. Knicks fans shouldn't be too depressed, because Phil Jackson might be able to trade this pick fora king's ransom.

In 2009... MEMPHIS selects -Thabeet over Harden.

Point is... this time last year, Mudiay was ranked ahead of Towns. CAT played with 9 All-Americans, in a poor Conf... Mudiay went to China and was injured.

In 2011, Kanter, T-Thomspon, Valancius went ahead of Klay Thompson.

Beasley taken ahead of Westbrook. Darko ahead of Wade. We took Jordan Hill ahead of Brandon Jennings.

Towns is great prospect, but so is Mudiay. Those who say otherwise are clueless... and would take Triston Thompson over Klay Thompson.

Common theme in your examples seems to be teams going with the big man over the guard. Part of the reason to be optimistic that we got the 4th pick. It should mean that we are forced to take a guard. That said, I'm going to laugh my ass off if the Lakers take Mudiay, the Sixers take Russell, and we get Okafor at 4.

mafra

Legend
Common theme in your examples seems to be teams going with the big man over the guard. Part of the reason to be optimistic that we got the 4th pick. It should mean that we are forced to take a guard. That said, I'm going to laugh my ass off if the Lakers take Mudiay, the Sixers take Russell, and we get Okafor at 4.

Me2!

Fran Fraschillo just told Michael Kay the choice is simple: Mudiay or Pirzings. He would roll the dice and go for the HR. He says Pirzingis is Dirk (offense) mixed with Kirlenko (defense). 19 yrs-old, 7"1.

BUT... you know... If we pass on him, he'll be great. If we draft him, he'll suck.

Paul1355

All Star

"2. Lakers?Mudiay.The draft sites are pencilling in Okafor but I think the Lakes will love Mudiay,the Congo native raised in Texas. He?s not only a major talent at point guardbut Showtime incarnate, a big value for Jerry Buss and his kids."

not sure if Lakers will pass on Okafor and Russell for Mudiay...thats a stretch.

And Lakers might just get Rondo in free agency so locking up Okafor would solidify a good young core down low in Randle, Hill, and Okafor

but I do pray this happens for our sake

Paul1355

All Star
Me2!

Fran Fraschillo just told Michael Kay the choice is simple: Mudiay or Pirzings. He would roll the dice and go for the HR. He says Pirzingis is Dirk (offense) mixed with Kirlenko (defense). 19 yrs-old, 7"1.

BUT... you know... If we pass on him, he'll be great. If we draft him, he'll suck.
Franchillo is also an international scout that always has a bias for the euro players...I don't believe a euro player can be trusted at #4 based on history...they are better as a risk lottery pick they are really hit or miss until proven otherwise

Paul1355

All Star
Winslow has to be at a minimum equal to them and fast...not like 3-4yrs from now. If Phil is gonna to change this franchise's course the kid needs to actually be better than them.

Because if Jimmy Butler(Winslow) is playing Jimmy Butler(Kawhai) is playing Jimmy Butler(Middleton) is playing Jimmy Butler(Matthews) is playing Jimmy Butler(Carroll) is playing Jimmy Butler(Hayward) is playing Jimmy Butler(Lance) is playing Jimmy Butler(Ariza) is playing Jimmy Butler(Porter) is playing Jimmy Butler(Wade) is playing Jimmy Butler(Thompson) is playing Jimmy Butler(Pope) is playing Jimmy Butler(Allen) is playing Jimmy Butler(George) is playing Jimmy Butler(Jimmy Butler)....

Then we don't really have any clear advantage most nights in this league.

you lost me there...Winslow can guard multiple positions so just having that option puts his value above most players