Official Trade Rumors Thread

mafra

Legend
Knicks have been scouting PG Ja Murant heavily. Currently he?s mocked to go second... Makes you wonder if this impacts who and what they target in trade talks...

I could see them trying to gobble up Parker and DSJ, which fits in with their philosophy of taking fliers on recent lottery picks.

Knits fits in better with Doncic, as DSJ is a more ball-dominant sidekick to the Euro sensation.

Maybe they take Lee or Timmy contract if we tossed in Franky.

https://nypost.com/2019/01/14/on-the-rise-ja-morant-could-ease-knicks-zion-williamson-landing/

tiger0330

Legend
DAL on verge of trading DSJ... so much for Cuban’s boast they got steal of the century in the draft.

According to Alex Kennedy we're probably one of the teams in the mix. Citing a hoopshype article written on this that 2 of the 4 teams are confirmed(we're 1 of the 4). Appears Suns/Magic have a leg up but I hope we get in on this

I will gladly take DSJ...twice on Sundays

Kanter/Lee for Matthews/DSJ if they ask for Knits then expand the package a little more
I posted Marc Steins rumor of this at Xmas. Less credible now that they lost Barrea for the season but you could see the Mavs considering it with Doncic coming on strong and DSJ having a hard time staying on the floor with injuries. He played in 69 games last season and 28 games so far this season. He's ahead of Nits right now offensively but I doubt he becomes the defender Nits is and with glimpses of improvement in Nits offensive game I'd hesitate about pulling the trigger on a DSJ for Nits swap.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
Knicks have been scouting PG Ja Murant heavily. Currently he?s mocked to go second... Makes you wonder if this impacts who and what they target in trade talks...

I could see them trying to gobble up Parker and DSJ, which fits in with their philosophy of taking fliers on recent lottery picks.

Knits fits in better with Doncic, as DSJ is a more ball-dominant sidekick to the Euro sensation.

Maybe they take Lee or Timmy contract if we tossed in Franky.

https://nypost.com/2019/01/14/on-the-rise-ja-morant-could-ease-knicks-zion-williamson-landing/
That guy Greenberg loves Morant more than Zion in that Post story. Too much hype about Zion, saw the FL game and Vitell went off on some full court pass he made but the guy he passed it to was wide open so anyone could have made that pass, Vitell is like that overly enthusiastic in his commentary but that's how most of the media treat Zion. I thought RJ was very impressive and the best Dukie in that game despite the game winner by Cam, don't think the Knicks can go wrong if we wind up with him instead of Zion. That YouTube of Morant was impressive, the kid has some handle along with size and athleticism.

mafra

Legend
RJ was 4-17 from downtown last night (8-30 overall)... and was a complete non-factor down the stretch ... Jones is the motor that makes Duke go...

Meanwhile, Zion was a beast last night. Granted he miss a FT to win it, he was 12-20 with 35 and 10. He?s averaging 21-9-2.... I would say, at least in college, he has lived up to the hype that preceded him. I suspect same thing happens in NBA.

He may not be another LeBron... but so what? He?ll be a very good player. Zach Randolph perhaps?

I would take Zion over RJ bc Barrett is a highly inefficient chucker right now. He reminds me of another Wiggins.

Anyway, bc KP doesn?t want to play C... with knox and KP occupying the F spots... maybe the PG is the better fit with this roster.

Broadway

All Star
That guy Greenberg loves Morant more than Zion in that Post story. Too much hype about Zion, saw the FL game and Vitell went off on some full court pass he made but the guy he passed it to was wide open so anyone could have made that pass, Vitell is like that overly enthusiastic in his commentary but that's how most of the media treat Zion. I thought RJ was very impressive and the best Dukie in that game despite the game winner by Cam, don't think the Knicks can go wrong if we wind up with him instead of Zion. That YouTube of Morant was impressive, the kid has some handle along with size and athleticism.

Barrett is T-Max...Zion is Zion.

We just don't know what Zion is going to be which could be something we've never seen before but Barrett is the better prospect as of the here and now. He's left handed but ambidextrous, can get his pts anyway he wants. Has legit size on the perimeter. I think it'll come down to their defensive ability and who can run offense as to who will be better long term. I've said all along Barrett is better but Zion is a totally different kind of package

Broadway

All Star
I posted Marc Steins rumor of this at Xmas. Less credible now that they lost Barrea for the season but you could see the Mavs considering it with Doncic coming on strong and DSJ having a hard time staying on the floor with injuries. He played in 69 games last season and 28 games so far this season. He's ahead of Nits right now offensively but I doubt he becomes the defender Nits is and with glimpses of improvement in Nits offensive game I'd hesitate about pulling the trigger on a DSJ for Nits swap.

This is a pure NO BRAINER for me, primarily due to the dumpage of THJR's deal. If this is true Steve Mills is admitting he made a mistake on the THJR trade

tiger0330

Legend
According to Alex Kennedy we're probably one of the teams in the mix. Citing a hoopshype article written on this that 2 of the 4 teams are confirmed(we're 1 of the 4). Appears Suns/Magic have a leg up but I hope we get in on this

I will gladly take DSJ...twice on Sundays

Kanter/Lee for Matthews/DSJ if they ask for Knits then expand the package a little more
Never heard of this guy and its not Woj but Matthews/DSJ for THJ/Nits. I doubt Perry does it with how Nits played in the Sixers game but this would be a significant change in the roster.

mafra

Legend
Perry didn?t draft Knits nor did he sign Timmy. A no brainer really. Knits-DSJ equal... NYK get cap relief next 2 years.... helps them in free agency.

Why should vonleh be in that group?

He?s averaging over 8 ppg and 8 rebounds and a block per game in only 26 min while only being the age of 23.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our odds of keeping him in free agency this offseason are low. He?s playing well and we are not going to be big spenders. It would be nice to get something for him before the trade deadline.

Paul1355

All Star
Our odds of keeping him in free agency this offseason are low. He?s playing well and we are not going to be big spenders. It would be nice to get something for him before the trade deadline.

I see, well if that?s the case then we should
also add mudiay to the list and draft a PG for the future

mafra

Legend
I see, well if that?s the case then we should
also add mudiay to the list and draft a PG for the future

Ja Murant baby! Ja, RJ, Zion or bust.

Anyway, if DSJ couldn?t mesh with Doncic, and Mavs are looking to move him... Knicks would be foolish to think he would mesh with KP. Plus, if the plan is to keep Mudiay, then it?s also foolish to pair Mudiay with DSJ.

Unless Mavs take both Lee and Timmy AND offer their 1st... I would so ?No Thank You.?

https://www.postingandtoasting.com/2019/1/19/18184234/the-knicks-shouldnt-trade-frank-ntilikina-for-dennis-smith-jr

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
Ja Murant baby! Ja, RJ, Zion or bust.

Anyway, if DSJ couldn’t mesh with Doncic, and Mavs are looking to move him... Knicks would be foolish to think he would mesh with KP. Plus, if the plan is to keep Mudiay, then it’s also foolish to pair Mudiay with DSJ.

Unless Mavs take both Lee and Timmy AND offer their 1st... I would so “No Thank You.”

https://www.postingandtoasting.com/...dnt-trade-frank-ntilikina-for-dennis-smith-jr
Why wouldn't DSJ fit with KP. His problem with Doncic is playing off the ball or switching the role as the primary ball handler with both on the floor, they point out that stat that when they're together their offensive efficiency goes down but have the Mavs given it enough time? If DSJ was on the Knicks he would be the primary ball handler so I don't see a problem with fitting in with KP, his turnovers are a problem though as htr10 always points out so that would be the reason the Knicks might not want him if they don't think he can improve in that area.

mafra

Legend
If we plan on letting Mudiay walk... then it could work. But if Mudiay stays, then there?s no point bringing in DSJ.

KP specifically requested Frank start with him (to Hornacek). Frank and KP posted special defensive stats, when paired together...

You can?t have a starting 5 where everybody dominates the ball. You need a player like Frank with Mudiay and KP and Knox.

To me, it?s who do you prefer: DSJ or Mudiay?

Broadway

All Star
If we plan on letting Mudiay walk... then it could work. But if Mudiay stays, then there’s no point bringing in DSJ.

KP specifically requested Frank start with him (to Hornacek). Frank and KP posted special defensive stats, when paired together...

You can’t have a starting 5 where everybody dominates the ball. You need a player like Frank with Mudiay and KP and Knox.

To me, it’s who do you prefer: DSJ or Mudiay?

I think it could work if we can get the defense in order with a rotation of

DSJ
Mudiay
Knox/Vonleh
KP
Robinson

The problem isn't so much playing off ball as it is playing off ball with a high usage player. Doncic is high usage and pretty good doing so, he has weaknesses but I understand somewhat why DSJ has been mitigated but not entirely as it appears they want. Mudiay isn't really high usage, he can be and has been at times but that's because of the devoid of talent on our team. I want talent always in any given situation. Knits isn't really talented he has intangibles but many other players in this league do too. Like I said a few weeks back if Knits was more Ball I'd be cool holding on to him but he's not.

Also Carlisle recently spoke about the DSJ situation and said nothing but positive things about him. Said he's improved in all areas they've asked him to and is a starter in his book. Carlisle has a history of being a dingling to players and by his words sounds like he knows he was probably in the wrong somewhere with DSJ, it may be too late though.

I think the Mavs are feeling the pressure because a lot of their fans still like DSJ as our fan base likes Knits. They don't like the way he's been treated but sometimes landing on other teams is the better situation. I think DSJ and Knits are going through something similar as Mudiay went through with Malone in Denver

I welcome the change of scenery to land DSJ

mafra

Legend
I think it could work if we can get the defense in order with a rotation of

DSJ
Mudiay
Knox/Vonleh
KP
Robinson

The problem isn't so much playing off ball as it is playing off ball with a high usage player. Doncic is high usage and pretty good doing so, he has weaknesses but I understand somewhat why DSJ has been mitigated but not entirely as it appears they want. Mudiay isn't really high usage, he can be and has been at times but that's because of the devoid of talent on our team. I want talent always in any given situation. Knits isn't really talented he has intangibles but many other players in this league do too. Like I said a few weeks back if Knits was more Ball I'd be cool holding on to him but he's not.

Also Carlisle recently spoke about the DSJ situation and said nothing but positive things about him. Said he's improved in all areas they've asked him to and is a starter in his book. Carlisle has a history of being a dingling to players and by his words sounds like he knows he was probably in the wrong somewhere with DSJ, it may be too late though.

I think the Mavs are feeling the pressure because a lot of their fans still like DSJ as our fan base likes Knits. They don't like the way he's been treated but sometimes landing on other teams is the better situation. I think DSJ and Knits are going through something similar as Mudiay went through with Malone in Denver

I welcome the change of scenery to land DSJ

I think Mavs released that Carlisle revelation bc the offers haven?t been up to their expectation... that media leak was a negotiation ploy, iMHO.

Mudiay, DSJ, Knox lineup would be awful defensively.

Why give up 3 inches and a foot in wingspan to swap Knits for DSJ? KP, Knox and this upcoming lottery pick will be scoring options 1-3.... Mudiay, Vonleh, MRob and Knits are nice complimentary players to those 3.

We don?t need cap relief bc max guys ain?t signing here.

Now, if you want to open the space and see if Kyrie and KL will spurn our advances... hey, it?s worth it, I guess.

But unless DAL takes Lee and Timmy (and maxes our cap space availability).... I?m still buying Knits future stock over DSJ. Smith may be the more explosive offensive player but i think Knits is still more of the winning player (to fit the role we need for this team).

Knits is still only 20, playing in a foreign country, under his second HC in 2 years. The player we see now isn?t what we will see in 3 years.

But, I?m also not there in the gym everyday, seeing the potential (if it exists or not), Im not talking to KP and getting his thoughts... so it?s hard to determine what to do bc I?m missing valuable intel.

Perry didn?t draft him... so, he?s free to do what he wants here. He could trade for DSJ and draft Ja and hope we find our Heild-Fox, lilard-Mcculum, Klay-Curry.

But, if we don?t land a free agent... one could argue team is better off with Timmy and Knits next year instead of DSJ.

I just have visions of Knox, KP, Zion and Mudiay running around with MRob and Knits are defensive stalwarts complimenting those 4.

But I do admit it?s pretty much 50/50 who is the better or more complete player come 2022.

But... if we get Ja... who cares where DSJ or Knits are playing.

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
theknicksblog.com:

The Knicks are undecided about what to do with Frank Ntilikina, but if they decide to trade him, there are already some interested teams.

The Magic and Suns have inquired about Ntilikina's availability, reports Stefan Bondy of the Daily News, who adds that Knicks GM Scott Perry approached the Hawks about a potential deal for Ntilikina but was rebuffed.

Bondy adds that Ntilikina has some supporters in the Knicks' front office, but that the team is still at a crossroads regarding what to do.

The 20-year-old Ntilikina has been jerked around by the Knicks this season, with him being benched for games at a time on multiple ocassions.

Ntilikina sat out three games in a row recently before returning last Sunday and playing 28 minutes. He played 17 minutes on Wednesday during the team's loss to the Wizards in London.

Overall this season, Ntilikina is averaging 6.0 points and 2.6 assists while playing just nine minutes per game.

tiger0330

Legend
Mafra I hear you about Ntilikina. He said one half season isn't going to define him but what if he's averaging 6 pts at the end of the season, do you throw in the towel on him then. He might not develop until he's 22 if we don't see improvement this year which means we don't pick up his option next Oct. I'd look to deal him if and get what we can for him if he doesn't improve any more this year, it's up to Fiz that he gets adequate PT for him to fully develop.