Official Trade Rumors Thread

mafra

Legend
Lonzo Ball has been "the one constant" on a potential piece to go to Cleveland in a LeBron James sign-and-trade deal, according to Chris Haynes of ESPN.com.
That makes sense for the Lakers because the Spurs are reportedly not likely to deal for him. Ball is still recovering from his PRP treatment in his knee, but he should be ready to roll for training camp. Expect plenty of LaVar Ball talk in the coming weeks.

(This can?t be good for the BBB brand).

Broadway

All Star
For what it?s worth, KW?s uncle and Kyrie?s dad live in same town in NJ (and talk)... we can only dream that the two of them are conspiring like the trio did back in 2008 Olympics.

Conspiring to meet in NY next summer... Irving already on record saying he won?t sign an extension. KL needs to follow suite (don?t pull a Melo). Just let it be known you aren?t signing an extension no matter what.

KP, Knits, lottery pick this week and next year plus Irving and KL equals title contender.

After the podcast Kyrie did with Simmons it's going to take a ton for him to leave Boston, he loves it there and they love him. As far as Kawhi according to Stephen A. Kawhi does want out and he said it's all academic he ends up in L.A.(preferably Lakers)

tiger0330

Legend
Nets going for that 2019 summer too and actually did well here to shed about $17mil in space

Still trying to figure out why Kupchak would do this deal, surely 2 seconds isn't enough to take on another year of Mozgov contract and Dwight is the better player.

mafra

Legend
After the podcast Kyrie did with Simmons it's going to take a ton for him to leave Boston, he loves it there and they love him. As far as Kawhi according to Stephen A. Kawhi does want out and he said it's all academic he ends up in L.A.(preferably Lakers)

What?s Kyrie gonna say, especially in a podcast by the huge BOS cheerleader in Simmons? If he?s that excited... why not sign the extension now?

I know it?s been reported that?s Irving spoke about his desire to join NYK while in CLE, and word is BOS front office is legitimately concern d he?ll bolt for NY.

I also know he is a different cat... he wants to come home... and he left LeBron and CLE, bc he want d the challenge to be ?the man?...

We?re dealing with the Knicks... so I would place the odds at about 30%. But, the first hurdle was cleared: he has refused to sign the extension. And, some day things will finally break right for the Knicks.

If there was any star who would actually choose NY bc it was his first preference... It would be Irving. If not him, then who? We might as well concede we are doomed until
Dolan sells at that point.

Smart is a Free Agent, right? Horford only has a season or two left... If you were Irving, would you prefer KP and possibly KL and NY... or Brown, Tatum and BOS?

I?m not getting my hopes up... But, l also feel like if Irving spurns Ny... we won?t be getting a stud in free agency, so we better make a shrewd trade and be good drafting. Only then, when everything is in place, will a star jump on the bandwagon.

Broadway

All Star
What’s Kyrie gonna say, especially in a podcast by the huge BOS cheerleader in Simmons? If he’s that excited... why not sign the extension now?

I know it’s been reported that’s Irving spoke about his desire to join NYK while in CLE, and word is BOS front office is legitimately concern d he’ll bolt for NY.

I also know he is a different cat... he wants to come home... and he left LeBron and CLE, bc he want d the challenge to be “the man”...

We’re dealing with the Knicks... so I would place the odds at about 30%. But, the first hurdle was cleared: he has refused to sign the extension. And, some day things will finally break right for the Knicks.

If there was any star who would actually choose NY bc it was his first preference... It would be Irving. If not him, then who? We might as well concede we are doomed until
Dolan sells at that point.

Smart is a Free Agent, right? Horford only has a season or two left... If you were Irving, would you prefer KP and possibly KL and NY... or Brown, Tatum and BOS?

I’m not getting my hopes up... But, l also feel like if Irving spurns Ny... we won’t be getting a stud in free agency, so we better make a shrewd trade and be good drafting. Only then, when everything is in place, will a star jump on the bandwagon.

There's $80mil reasons why Kyrie ain't signing that extension now. He didn't have to say some of the things he said but instead play coy like many of today's players are. Once again KL ain't coming here his agency is trying to land him in L.A. which is what you have to get a bead on these days when it comes to these players. What are their agents trying to accomplish. Kyrie also recruited to play with Hayward a couple yrs prior to landing in Beantown

Irving isn't really spurning us unless he uses the NYC angle until the 23rd hour. I don't see this to be the case. We should keep our cap situation very flexible regardless because you never know but at this point it's seems more a reach than anything

Broadway

All Star
Still trying to figure out why Kupchak would do this deal, surely 2 seconds isn't enough to take on another year of Mozgov contract and Dwight is the better player.

Hornets aren't landing Kawhi or Kyrie or Klay so what are they saving their cap up for? They are obviously warming up to rebuilding and this is the exact type of trade you make to ensure you'll be terrible at the end of the tear down. While teams are fake hustling trying to land big fish they'll be at the Top of the Lottery board

mafra

Legend
I see CHA offering Kemba for a pick. This is the PHI-BOS plan... accumulate picks (and bad contracts) to stockpile assets.

mafra

Legend
The Hawks are reportedly dangling their No. 19 and 30 picks to move up in the 2018 draft.

The Hawks have reportedly been in contact with the Nuggets (No. 14) and the Clippers (Nos. 12 and 13), so it'll be interesting to see if anything comes to fruition from this report tomorrow. The Hawks could basically use help at every position, so the rookies that land there will have the opportunity to make some noise in fantasy hoops right out the gates.

Related: Nuggets, Clippers
Source: Michael Scotto on Twitter

??////// ???

There was an earlier report about D.Schroeder being available. I wonder if a 9 and ??? for DS, 19,&30 works.

tiger0330

Legend
The Hawks are reportedly dangling their No. 19 and 30 picks to move up in the 2018 draft.

The Hawks have reportedly been in contact with the Nuggets (No. 14) and the Clippers (Nos. 12 and 13), so it'll be interesting to see if anything comes to fruition from this report tomorrow. The Hawks could basically use help at every position, so the rookies that land there will have the opportunity to make some noise in fantasy hoops right out the gates.

Related: Nuggets, Clippers
Source: Michael Scotto on Twitter

——////// ———

There was an earlier report about D.Schroeder being available. I wonder if a 9 and ??? for DS, 19,&30 works.
I'd expect that the Hawks are going to deal Schroeder and one or both of those picks tomorrow. 9 not optimal but Perry should be trying to work a deal, best chance imo is with the Sixers if Mikal is there at 9.

mafra

Legend
This draft is odd... b/c there?s 1 franchise type prospect (Ayton) and 3 very good all-star type potential guys (Bagley, Doncic, Jax), and a few really good ones with flaws/flags... The best part of this draft, however, is how deep it is. Picks 10-40 all have quality, rotation NBA players.

Brogowhatever (MIL) went 36th.... NYK should easily be able to draft a player in the second round....

In other words, trading 9 for 2 picks in the 10-40 range makes total sense.

mafra

Legend
With news out of Minny about Butler being unhappy and will opt out... Should NY act quickly? Make a trade of Knits and Lee?

Getting Butler now will obviously go a long way to recruit the top free agents next year... with KP and Butler, it?s pretty much a lock Kyrie, Kawhi or KD sign with NYK.

However, would it be more prudent to hold on to all our assets? Just play the long game? Getting Butler would mean top 15 pick, not top 5.

So, what would you do?

Try to offer Kanter and Lee? Would you draw line and not deal Knits or Knox? Would you prefer to tank and get another lottery stud then just make run at free agents next summer?

Minny has to act now and get something. They have ZERO shot to win next year... so why play it out then watch JB walk?

Tough call. If you want Butler, how far would you be willing to go?

I think Kanter, Lee, Burke, Mudiay, LT and 2020 first rounder would be what I?m willing to part with.

???-
NY Post

zdale spent the day before the Fourth of July at the Thomas & Mack Center in a ?detailed teaching? session, explaining his position-less basketball offense. It was the first day of Knicks summer league team practice.

With the inking of combo forward Hezonja, the Knicks? free-agent work is mostly done, but next Fourth of July is full of possibility. The Knicks should have maximum cap space, and superstars Kevin Durant, Kyrie Irving, Jimmy Butler and Kawhi Leonard are due to become free agents. The Chicago Sun-Times reported Tuesday that Butler and Irving possibly want to team up.

Fizdale probably won?t be in a gym with the rookies next summer but jetting across the country when Fizdale anticipates ?some big moves.?

?For sure,? Fizdale said when asked if he?ll be busier in July 2019. ?We knew coming into this July there wasn?t a lot of money to spend, we wanted to be real strategic with who we went after and if it fit the kind of guys we wanted to have here.

?I felt like we?ve done that and now we can just lock in, get into the group we have, start developing these guys, growing these guys, let them go through the ups and downs. And as we get our culture in place, [Kristaps Porzingis] gets healthy, we start moving into next summer, I really feel like we?ll have the bricks in place to make some big moves.?

Last edited:
With news out of Minny about Butler being unhappy and will opt out... Should NY act quickly? Make a trade of Knits and Lee?

Getting Butler now will obviously go a long way to recruit the top free agents next year... with KP and Butler, it?s pretty much a lock Kyrie, Kawhi or KD sign with NYK.

However, would it be more prudent to hold on to all our assets? Just play the long game? Getting Butler would mean top 15 pick, not top 5.

So, what would you do?

Try to offer Kanter and Lee? Would you draw line and not deal Knits or Knox? Would you prefer to tank and get another lottery stud then just make run at free agents next summer?

Minny has to act now and get something. They have ZERO shot to win next year... so why play it out then watch JB walk?

Tough call. If you want Butler, how fR would you go?

Thibodeau will get control of that **** show in Minny. No way he lets one of his guys, Butler, get shipped out of town for pennies on the dollar. Hell, if Towns is the one with the attitude problem, maybe Towns is the one who gets shipped out.

To answer your question, heck yeah, if you could get Butler for any package that doesn?t include KP or a 1st round pick, you do it in a second. No one else on our roster would be untouchable.

Only thing that gives you pause is the worry that Butler won?t extend with you past this season.

mafra

Legend
BOS, GSW... all of these rebuilds require a few quality draft picks, a major free agent signing (or 2 or 3), AND a shrewd trade. So... while teams chase Kawhi maybe we should pounce on Butler?

mafra

Legend
It looks like Jimmy Butler may want in on the most dramatic offseason in NBA history.

With LeBron James on his way to the Lakers in the Western Conference, the East is, in theory, wide open. But the Celtics? Kyrie Irving is looking to lock down the conference for years to come ? and a new report suggests Butler may be looking to join him.

The Timberwolves star is ?fed up? with his current teammates, according to the Chicago Sun-Times, and has been maneuvering to find a way to play with Irving, whether that be for the Celtics or another team in the East.

Boston could try to trade for Butler before the 2018-19 season begins, or the two players could team up next offseason when they hit free agency.

The Celtics have been thought to be involved in trade talks for Kawhi Leonard, who wants out from San Antonio. Butler could make for an intriguing alternative.

The Sun-Times report also adds a layer to the fountain of tension coming out of the Wolves? locker room, with Butler?s frustration with his teammates? ?nonchalant attitude,? particularly Karl Anthony-Towns, starting to boil over.

When Butler was traded from the Bulls last summer, expectations skyrocketed for the Wolves, who already had former No. 1 draft picks Towns and Andrew Wiggins on their roster ? as well as highly regarded coach Tom Thibodeau.

But while Minnesota did break a 14-year playoff drought this season, it was dispatched in the first round by the Rockets, and it wasn?t exactly smooth sailing off the court. As the season wound down and the Wolves gradually dropped from the third-seed to the eighth, players complained about Thibodeau?s heavy workload and rigorous coaching style.

In June, the Sporting News reported Butler took issue with Wiggins? work ethic and subpar defense. Now, he?s reportedly not happy with the Wolves? other young star.

Butler has stated he will not sign an extension with Minnesota this year (as Irving has also said about Boston), making it more enticing for Wolves management at least to explore the possibility of a trade. The Celtics, brimming with young players and assets, could be a potential partner.

This is not the first time Irving and Butler have apparently tried to play together. Last summer, before Irving was traded from the Cavaliers, he told several of his Team USA teammates that Butler?s then-Bulls were on his wish list. Bulls management, believing it didn?t have the assets to make a deal, opted instead to trigger a rebuild and trade Butler to Minnesota.

mafra

Legend
It?s kind of like what Mets would ask for from NYY, if they were gonna deal DeGrom or Syndergaard to their crosstown rival.

Why would SA want to help Lakers? They loathe them.

I bet Daric, Fultz and a 1st would be all they want from Philly.

But Spurs would prefer to keep KL out a year and lose him for nothing than help LA.

LeBron doesn?t want a lost year... he only has a few good ones left. Spurs can wait until the minute before trade deadline to see what sort of offers come in. Why rush?

Lakers would be wise to give Ingram, Hart, Kuzma and a pick.

NYK gave a ton for Melo... but Danilo, Chandler, Felton and all the rest amounted to nothing more than just a role player.

LeBron can carry us posters to a WCF by himself. Having KL would help them beat GSW... not all that other crap.

Plus, LeBron and this window is 4 years. Like Miami... they have to overcome GSW. Don?t waste time and wait in those young kids. Look what Hood and Nance and Clarkson did... very little in the playoffs... those first rounders are what? Pick 27?

Lakers have cap space. With KL and LJ everything works itself out.

Lakers should turn attention to Butler... then hope for KL or Kyrie next summer.

Not to mention this report is coming from an avowed Laker homer. Did he get this from Magic or LaVarr? Probably half is true. Spurs asked for something...

Last edited: