Official Trade Rumors Thread

mafra

Legend
Hahn said on radio that Melo was the "big" star Ainge was referring about, when he said they were close to something.

Hahn also said Melo would only go to Clippers, Cavs, and a 3rd team (I forget)... Plus, maybe SA later in career (loves Pops).

He said Melo is adamant tho that he wants to stay the course and win in NY. Melo told him 1 win in NY worth multiple titles elsewhere. In a way, you have to admire this sentiment... Delusional as it is. We shall see how long he holds firm to this, and most likely he wanted no part of BOS... But... He didn't jump ship first chance he had... At least he has decided to swallow the losing and endure, just as we fans must.

I know it's a long shot... But maybe Melo knows something... Maybe he feels confident KD is coming to NY.

They both grew up together... Melo was 4 years older and KD looked up to him. They had good relationship long before either was in NBA.

Melo never really had ties to LA or Monroe or last year's free agent class. Probably doesn't mean much... But who knows? We'll soon see tho.

KD and a PG and NYK is a title contender. This is probably the Melo dream... I am sure this is his thinking. If he can't get his friend to come... Maybe he feels the year afterward... Paul will join him?

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
Hahn said on radio that Melo was the "big" star Ainge was referring about, when he said they were close to something.

Hahn also said Melo would only go to Clippers, Cavs, and a 3rd team (I forget)... Plus, maybe SA later in career (loves Pops).

He said Melo is adamant tho that he wants to stay the course and win in NY. Melo told him 1 win in NY worth multiple titles elsewhere. In a way, you have to admire this sentiment... Delusional as it is. We shall see how long he holds firm to this, and most likely he wanted no part of BOS... But... He didn't jump ship first chance he had... At least he has decided to swallow the losing and endure, just as we fans must.

I know it's a long shot... But maybe Melo knows something... Maybe he feels confident KD is coming to NY.

They both grew up together... Melo was 4 years older and KD looked up to him. They had good relationship long before either was in NBA.

Melo never really had ties to LA or Monroe or last year's free agent class. Probably doesn't mean much... But who knows? We'll soon see tho.

KD and a PG and NYK is a title contender. This is probably the Melo dream... I am sure this is his thinking. If he can't get his friend to come... Maybe he feels the year afterward... Paul will join him?

Naaaaah if he really thought KD was coming he wouldn't have made all the wild recent comments in the press since the deadline has passed. Actually he's sounding more and more like he's about to make amends to leave this summer possibly.(I can only hope)

mafra

Legend
Naaaaah if he really thought KD was coming he wouldn't have made all the wild recent comments in the press since the deadline has passed. Actually he's sounding more and more like he's about to make amends to leave this summer possibly.(I can only hope)

I, for myself, don't see the corollary here; I'm not sure if a flippant remark of disgust -- uttered in the heat of passion -- provides much insight (other then what we already know: Melo isn't the brightest bulb in the marquee of lights). Just as I cannot extrapolate from what Melo said during ASB (as a sign of his "getting excited & anticipating" having a real legitimate star join him soon) I simply take his comments as 'off-the-cuff excerpts from a dude who doesn't filter much of what he says with foresight (the irony coming from a man who desires to be a marketing new media mogul).

I don't "feel" that NYK even have a 25% chance of getting KD; and I'm in no position to guess what Melo's thoughts are on the matter. I know he had the perfect escape last week... He would've actually been seen as a "hero" if he let PJ deal him, and I'm sure he could've wiggled his way to CLE (with LOVE going to BOS)... So we have to wonder why he decided to stay?

I do think he believes he can help lead NYK to a title. I think he sees KP & Rolo as rotation pieces... This could only mean that he believes he'll recruit a franchise type stalwart (or two all-star level players) to join him this July.

I AGREE ONE THOUSAND PERCENT WITH YOU though when it comes to this summer being the penultimate moment for Melo in NY. There's only 1 path to a title or an amicable exit... If he receives no help from his friends this summer, Melo isn't winning a title here. If he gets KD to come, we all know Paul will follow next year... And in 2017, Paul, KD, Melo, and KP would compete for a title.

When KD turns NYK down... The only time Melo can escape from MSG gracefully is to waive his no-trade and orchestrate a trade to LAC or CLE. Nobody would fault him, half of the failure would be placed on Dolan, Walsh, Ernie, & PJ... NYK would get a Griffen or a young player plus top draft pick... Melo would actually look pretty decent (he would've left DEN & NYK but would've left both teams with enough assets where his departure wasn't crippling) and if he would win a title in LAC or CLE... he would elevate his legacy.

NOW, as a NYK fan... I'm pretty sure there is no happy ending. NO KD, no trade, another bad season, a messy divorce from PJ and Melo, another coaching search and a reset (back to zero) starting in 2018.

Broadway

All Star
I, for myself, don't see the corollary here; I'm not sure if a flippant remark of disgust -- uttered in the heat of passion -- provides much insight (other then what we already know: Melo isn't the brightest bulb in the marquee of lights). Just as I cannot extrapolate from what Melo said during ASB (as a sign of his "getting excited & anticipating" having a real legitimate star join him soon) I simply take his comments as 'off-the-cuff excerpts from a dude who doesn't filter much of what he says with foresight (the irony coming from a man who desires to be a marketing new media mogul).

I don't "feel" that NYK even have a 25% chance of getting KD; and I'm in no position to guess what Melo's thoughts are on the matter. I know he had the perfect escape last week... He would've actually been seen as a "hero" if he let PJ deal him, and I'm sure he could've wiggled his way to CLE (with LOVE going to BOS)... So we have to wonder why he decided to stay?

I do think he believes he can help lead NYK to a title. I think he sees KP & Rolo as rotation pieces... This could only mean that he believes he'll recruit a franchise type stalwart (or two all-star level players) to join him this July.

I AGREE ONE THOUSAND PERCENT WITH YOU though when it comes to this summer being the penultimate moment for Melo in NY. There's only 1 path to a title or an amicable exit... If he receives no help from his friends this summer, Melo isn't winning a title here. If he gets KD to come, we all know Paul will follow next year... And in 2017, Paul, KD, Melo, and KP would compete for a title.

When KD turns NYK down... The only time Melo can escape from MSG gracefully is to waive his no-trade and orchestrate a trade to LAC or CLE. Nobody would fault him, half of the failure would be placed on Dolan, Walsh, Ernie, & PJ... NYK would get a Griffen or a young player plus top draft pick... Melo would actually look pretty decent (he would've left DEN & NYK but would've left both teams with enough assets where his departure wasn't crippling) and if he would win a title in LAC or CLE... he would elevate his legacy.

NOW, as a NYK fan... I'm pretty sure there is no happy ending. NO KD, no trade, another bad season, a messy divorce from PJ and Melo, another coaching search and a reset (back to zero) starting in 2018.

Melo has been BLACKBOOKING for a while and he had 2 opportunities to bring guys here but of course fans always borrow time to the next crop of free agents. The only guy Melo has recruited here that worked was Afflalo and he's marginal talent and not many fans care for him.

Melo has recently stated he hasn't been too keen on Phil's one-way relationship with him and that he plans to sit down in the summer to discuss what Phil's plans are and his future. Why hear Phil out if Melo already has KD in his personal friend(s) plan of pursuit?<---------this right here is a tale tell of how he's seeing things, which speaks of a weakening confidence in sticking around.

He's been quietly barking for about a week distancing himself from blame and put on one of the most horrific performances in quite some time yesterday but this has been par for the course with Melo really since his arrival.

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
Hard to really tell tho... I mean, team was really capped out until last year, no?

He was able to hold enough cache that Tyson Chandler left a championship team and Dirk and joined Melo. That was a premier free agent of that class, and was really the only time they had enough space to squeeze an all star in.

Everybody thought last summer was his time (bc we had PJ and finally had space)... But, what really were the options?

Melo was coming back from a knee injury and the team won 17 games.

Love was dealt to CLE. LA went to SA... Gonna say Melo failed there? You can't say that with a straight face... Not when SA is ten times more attractive for a guy wanting ton win. Dragic dealt to MIA... We never went after Rondo bc of what happened in DAL...

Basically... The player we lost was Monroe. Did Melo fail to recruit him? Does he have a relationship with him? Or did the guy from Louisiana want nothing to do with NY and went with Kidd and the younger roster?

I look at Lebron James... How many free agents chose CLE? He hasn't gotten a star to run to CLE in free agency all those years either. Players want $$$$, then $$$ plus winning.

NYK had Amare making 20 mil last few years... We had little wiggle room to work with..

NYK never presented winning and money. Players were never gonna take less money to come to NY and play with Melo...

So... Sure... Some small reason to have some hope bc we finally have some money along with more than just Melo.

Is KP and Melo enough?

I do know the 2 years we had some cash... We good a top free agent one of those years. The other year... I detailed why I thought we swung and missed.

mafra

Legend
Maybe Calderon's relationship with DeRozan will help recruit the all-star to NY... What else is left (before March Madness and we move on the baseball) but dream we have hope.

Broadway

All Star
Maybe Calderon's relationship with DeRozan will help recruit the all-star to NY... What else is left (before March Madness and we move on the baseball) but dream we have hope.

Derozan recently spoke of a strong affinity for Toronto and staying put right there. Plus he loves Kyle Lowry but some of these guys will test the waters to make sure their paper is right though.

mafra

Legend
Derozan recently spoke of a strong affinity for Toronto and staying put right there. Plus he loves Kyle Lowry but some of these guys will test the waters to make sure their paper is right though.

Plus, TOR is due. After losing in first round 2 years in a row... I could see them making at run this year. With WAS and TOR and MIA... I wonder if CLE will breeze into Finals. Still, not many free agents pick TOR.

Hahn also said yesterday he spoke with TOR GM and people inside MSG... Lowry was a NYK until they asked for NY to add a 1st rounder on top of the players going to TOR.

He asked TOR GM: "how many NYK picks do you want? GM replied: "how many they willing to give."

Broadway

All Star
Hard to really tell tho... I mean, team was really capped out until last year, no?

He was able to hold enough cache that Tyson Chandler left a championship team and Dirk and joined Melo. That was a premier free agent of that class, and was really the only time they had enough space to squeeze an all star in.

Everybody thought last summer was his time (bc we had PJ and finally had space)... But, what really were the options?

Melo was coming back from a knee injury and the team won 17 games.

Love was dealt to CLE. LA went to SA... Gonna say Melo failed there? You can't say that with a straight face... Not when SA is ten times more attractive for a guy wanting ton win. Dragic dealt to MIA... We never went after Rondo bc of what happened in DAL...

Basically... The player we lost was Monroe. Did Melo fail to recruit him? Does he have a relationship with him? Or did the guy from Louisiana want nothing to do with NY and went with Kidd and the younger roster?

I look at Lebron James... How many free agents chose CLE? He hasn't gotten a star to run to CLE in free agency all those years either. Players want $$$$, then $$$ plus winning.

NYK had Amare making 20 mil last few years... We had little wiggle room to work with..

NYK never presented winning and money. Players were never gonna take less money to come to NY and play with Melo...

So... Sure... Some small reason to have some hope bc we finally have some money along with more than just Melo.

Is KP and Melo enough?

I do know the 2 years we had some cash... We good a top free agent one of those years. The other year... I detailed why I thought we swung and missed.

Tyson came here and flat out admitted it was because of Amare(shocking as that is)not because of Melo....also Tyson was in a forced position to seek dollars elsewhere because Dallas didn't want to pay him. He preferred to stay where he was at.

Meanwhile OKC wants to pay Durant, Toronto wants to pay Derozan, Memphis wants to pay Conley, Washington wants to pay Beal you see the difference right?

Then you want to dial back on Melo not being a failure due to a bad set of circumstances as if our current circumstances are more favorable after all the tinkering? Your explanations never make any sense. It's like you talk of your personal internal desires and project them onto this team and into the thoughts of player's as if they are moments from potentially happening.

Don't bring Lebron into this conversation. This is about Melo and the Knicks

Melo failed to recruit Pau, Rondo, Wade...most of the marginal talent here is because of Phil and Steve Mills persuasions not Melo's.

I remember arguing with a fan last summer on here about Jimmy Butler/Draymond Green/Kawhi Leonard. I told him we had no shot whatsoever pulled up several links and quotes as I often do with you and of course he dug his feet into the ground saying we had a legit shot even if small. Most of the guys available, Phil couldn't even get them to meet to tell him no to his face. Heck those players could have met with Phil on the strength of Melo alone and still said no. I mean who wouldn't like practically a free visit of wining and dining in one of the greatest cities in the world, if it was a desire or have the brass come to their turf.

We're facing another tumultuous season where the talk isn't about winning and how well the triangle is working but instead on if Melo is cracking and where will this team find a point guard. No major free agents to note will come here to play...Melo persuasions on up. Will we sign some players? Yep....just like the myriad of other teams with cap space will.

Last edited:
A lot of other teams swing big and miss big in free agency besides us. I keep citing Boston as a great example of a well-run franchise with a good GM, good coach, good roster, and now a very good record, and it still seems like a long shot for them to get an established star by trade or by free agency to put them over the top.

I know I risk opening a can of worms by saying this, but think about how other much better teams couldn't get Melo away from us. Of course stars (and I do mean stars, not guys like Greg Monroe) change teams every now and then, but it certainly happens rarely enough that it shouldn't be the core concept behind a team's strategy to rebuild.

jimkcchief88

All Star
NY just isn't a basketball destination anymore. In this age of social media you don't have to be in a major market to have a career off the court like you did 20 years ago. And Phil's triangle is a deterrent to top tier free agents. Add to that we don't have a coach or much talent on this team and its a trifecta of bad news. Fire everybody; blow it up; start over:(

Broadway

All Star
Melo has been BLACKBOOKING for a while and he had 2 opportunities to bring guys here but of course fans always borrow time to the next crop of free agents. The only guy Melo has recruited here that worked was Afflalo and he's marginal talent and not many fans care for him.

Melo has recently stated he hasn't been too keen on Phil's one-way relationship with him and that he plans to sit down in the summer to discuss what Phil's plans are and his future. Why hear Phil out if Melo already has KD in his personal friend(s) plan of pursuit?<---------this right here is a tale tell of how he's seeing things, which speaks of a weakening confidence in sticking around.

He's been quietly barking for about a week distancing himself from blame and put on one of the most horrific performances in quite some time yesterday but this has been par for the course with Melo really since his arrival.

Take from this what ya'll want, I know where I stand

http://nypost.com/2016/02/25/celtics-bypassed-knicks-asked-carmelos-people-about-trade/

mafra

Legend
The Rockets are exploring a buyout for Ty Lawson according to Adrian Wojnarowski of The Vertical.

Houston wasn't able to move him at the deadline, but it's no surprise that they still want to get his expiring contract off the books so that they can explore other options. With averages of just 6.0 points and 3.5 assists, a move away from Houston could only help his fantasy value. To be clear, he's only worth stashing in deeper leagues at the moment because he is playing the worst basketball of his career.
Source: Yahoo Sports Feb 26 - 12:44 PM

------
Seems like a no-brainier... But, he's a free agent. So, if we sign him we won't be able to find out about Grant. Would signing Ty help is re-sign him? If he plays well... Would that hurt bc it inflates his worth? I would sign him and play a lot of 3 guard sets and see what Ty, JG, and LG can do.

Broadway

All Star
The Rockets are exploring a buyout for Ty Lawson according to Adrian Wojnarowski of The Vertical.

Houston wasn't able to move him at the deadline, but it's no surprise that they still want to get his expiring contract off the books so that they can explore other options. With averages of just 6.0 points and 3.5 assists, a move away from Houston could only help his fantasy value. To be clear, he's only worth stashing in deeper leagues at the moment because he is playing the worst basketball of his career.
Source: Yahoo Sports Feb 26 - 12:44 PM

------
Seems like a no-brainier... But, he's a free agent. So, if we sign him we won't be able to find out about Grant. Would signing Ty help is re-sign him? If he plays well... Would that hurt bc it inflates his worth? I would sign him and play a lot of 3 guard sets and see what Ty, JG, and LG can do.

Something is amiss with him because he has talent but his personal issues may not be all worked out. I see him landing in Sacramento if bought out.

mafra

Legend
Looks like Lebron not attractive enough for Joe Johnson. Poor CLE...

Johnson going to MIA (according to reports).

Joe Johnson has committed to a deal with the Heat after he clears waivers, according to Shams Charania of Yahoo! Sports.

It's an interesting move for Johnson here. Among the teams capable of winning a first-round series, Johnson likely gets his best chance for minutes with Miami. Obviously the Heat don't have the same chances to win like the Cavs do, though. Earlier this month, Johnson said his primary concern is to play, so that looks like the deciding factor. He can remain on the wire in most leagues while this move hurts Josh Richardson and Justise Winslow.
Source: Shams Charania on Twitter Feb 26 - 3:13 PM

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
Joe Johnson going to the Heat.

Marcus Thornton was waived after the Pistons busted their deal because of DMo failing his physical.

Damn I'd like to see PJ pick up Lawson but I don't think there is any interest on both sides for him to come to the Knicks. He's probably like Rondo in feeling the Triangle is not a good look for him and PJ would have multiple issues with his character and his fit for the triangle offense.

mafra

Legend
But what has Jackson done to help Anthony? Nothing. The opposite. The Knicks stood pat at the trade deadline and have abandoned Anthony as the lone All-Star on the roster. As the story goes, during last summer?s free agency, Aldridge was recruited by Anthony and told the Daily News that he was interested in joining the Knicks. The words Anthony used were ?a big chance that (Aldridge) was going to end up in New York.? However, Jackson set a stipulation that Aldridge play center in New York to accommodate Porzingis? growth at power forward. Aldridge immediately canceled his meeting with the Knicks.

?When I heard that, I didn?t know that,? Anthony said. ?I took my headband and threw it.?

http://m.nydailynews.com/sports/bas...jackson-not-carmelo-anthony-article-1.2546194

mafra

Legend
(Ny post)

Knicks interim coach Kurt Rambis said there?s still a chance guard Jimmer Fredette signs a second 10-day contract, but admits management is ?collecting names?? off the waiver wire, looking at younger players to develop.

One player who could fit that bill is San Antonio third-string point guard Ray McCallum, a 2013 second-round pick who is being waived to make room for veteran Andre Miller.

Fredette?s 10-day contract expires Thursday, so his last game could be Tuesday against Portland at the Garden. He?s appeared just once ? last Monday for a 1:49 stretch of garbage time. Fredette has been a DNP the last three contests, with Rambis saying last week he?s gotten ?pushed around a little?? on defense during scrimmages.

The Garden fans chanted ?Jimmer?? during Sunday?s loss to the Heat, but that didn?t move Rambis to play him. Rambis lightened his tone on the popular guard from upstate Glens Falls but admitted Fredette will be hard-pressed to make the rotation even if re-signed to a second 10-day deal.

Ray McCallumPhoto: Getty Images
Rambis alluded to potentially signing a younger player recently waived with an eye on next season, too.

?Yes, yes, yes,?? Rambis said. ?Management is collecting [names], that?s what they?re doing. [They?re] talking about guys, thinking about guys, not only for this season [but] bringing guys in they might want to hold onto and bring them to summer league next year and work out during the summer. There are a lot of names floating around out there.??

The Knicks have needed point-guard help all season, and McCallum has been immersed in a championship system, playing 31 games this season for the Spurs after spending his first two seasons with Sacramento as a teammate of Derrick Williams.

Rambis, upon Fredette joining the club, said he didn?t consider the former BYU superstar as a point guard in the NBA, feeling he was more a 2 guard.

Rambis has been tough on Fredette since his arrival, but lavished him with praise Tuesday.

?He?s a great competitor, a feisty guy and I like that,?? Rambis said. ?He?s not afraid to compete, not afraid to go against anybody. He?s got great passion and spirit for the game. I really like the way he approaches it. There?s tremendous enthusiasm when he?s out there on the court. All those things bode well for him.?

Asked if he?d want Fredette on a second 10-day, Rambis said: ?Sure I would. That?s a management decision on what they?re going to do. We got a roster spot. We got Cle [Cleanthony Early], who could be coming back soon. It?s going to be very difficult for [Fredette] to break in the rotation.??

Rambis was asked about their interest in veteran Joe Johnson, who signed with Miami, and admitted he wasn?t on the radar because of the playoff situation.

?He?s looking to get into the playoffs,?? Rambis said. ?Some guys know you?d feel is a possibility and some guys aren?t, looking in another direction.??

Early (gunshot wound) could scrimmage as soon as next Monday, but it might be with the Westchester Knicks. Rambis said the Knicks considered bringing Early on their West Coast trip to participate in Monday?s practice in Denver, but they are leaning instead toward keeping him here to work with the D-League team in a rehab situation.

While celebrating his girlfriend?s birthday, Early was shot in the knee after getting robbed outside a Queens strip club on Dec. 30.

Arron Afflalo had an MRI exam on his knee, and it came back negative. He is questionable for Tuesday night.

Rambis said his communication with Phil Jackson has been terrific and they speak every day. Jackson had a film session with the coaches last week. That was an issue with Derek Fisher when some coaches failed to show up for a film session Jackson had called. But Rambis indicated Jackson still is miserable with the losing. ?Nobody?s happy about it,? he said. ?We?re all frustrated. Nobody in this organization is OK with where we?re at. We?re looking at personnel decisions. We?re looking forward to free agency. There?s a lot of basketball talk, and communication is going on. But nobody is happy with where we?re at. We have to be better in a lot of areas.??

tiger0330

Legend
Better not think too long on McCallum other teams are going to pick him up if the Knicks don't.

Last edited: