Official Trade Rumors Thread

tiger0330

Legend
Milsap is next otherwise they lose him in FA.

I don't know if Korver was misquoted in Marc Steins tweet or if Stein just made a mistake but Korver was quoted as saying it was a great honor to go play FOR LeBron. ☺

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Melo needs to trust in his teammates more. Even with KP and Noah out, they have enough to win this game.

Edit: Meant for game @ Bucks thread.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
Small Trade

I don't get this trade for Charlotte even if they are losing. Plumlee just signed a 4yr 50M deal and the guy's avg'ing 2ppg along with 2rpg in 9mpg. The guys they shipped out both had better numbers than Plumlee so Plumlee might be a bust that they have to keep for 3 more years.

tiger0330

Legend
Like I said I don't get this Bucks/Hornets trade for the Hornets.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/new...awes-bucks-hornets/1teds35kayj231o4t6njd1v8cc

The Bucks have just made up for a major free-agency faux pas.

Milwaukee is set to trade Miles Plumlee to the Hornets in a frontcourt swap for Roy Hibbert and Spencer Hawes, according to ESPN's Brian Windhorst and Marc Stein. The Bucks will release Steve Novak to make room on the roster for Hibbert and Hawes, according to The Vertical's Adrian Wojnarowski. Windhorst reports the Bucks plan on keeping both big men.

TRADE RUMORS: These 12 big men could be on the block

This looks like a great deal for Milwaukee on the surface. The Bucks get rid of Plumlee's ugly contract after they signed the former Duke center this past summer to a four-year, $50 million deal (all four years guaranteed). Between Plumlee, Greg Monroe, John Henson and Jabari Parker, the Bucks were spending close to $50 million on their frontcourt this season. Hawes only has one year and $6 million remaining on his current contract, and Hibbert becomes a free agent after this season.

As for the Hornets, this is a bit of a curious trade if they aren't receiving anything beyond the players involved. Stein reports the Hornets have had their eyes on Plumlee "for some time" and won't receive any draft compensation.

Perhaps this is a show of confidence in Frank Kaminsky moving forward, or Charlotte has scouted Plumlee and sees him as someone who can produce more than the 2.6 points in 9.7 minutes per game. That's what he's averaging this season in 32 games played. In the past, Plumlee had been a low-usage, high-efficiency player capable of bringing energy off the bench, but it's been a while since he's shown that spark. He logged six DNPs last month alone.

In Charlotte's defense, the team has lost six straight games and went 4-11 in January. Losing Cody Zeller to a quadriceps injury has hurt. Hibbert and Hawes could not replace his athleticism and constant activity. Those didn't fit the Hornets' future plans, but Steve Clifford may be able to unleash Plumlee as a "Diet Zeller." If nothing else, the frontcourt is more athletic, and that was a major issue with Hibbert and Hawes on the floor against pace-and-space units.

Clifford has brought the best out of several of his players. He's got a challenge in front of him with Plumlee, and this trade could end up looking awful if he's unable to contribute.

Broadway

All Star
I don't get this trade for Charlotte even if they are losing. Plumlee just signed a 4yr 50M deal and the guy's avg'ing 2ppg along with 2rpg in 9mpg. The guys they shipped out both had better numbers than Plumlee so Plumlee might be a bust that they have to keep for 3 more years.

I bet his numbers triple-quadruple in Charlotte, they needed/want to be a quicker paced team. Sometimes you have to take chances on players in hopes you're getting them with the best yrs ahead of them

mafra

Legend
"The Celtics have the draft picks the Knicks need. Boston holds the right to swap picks with the Brooklyn Nets in this summer?s draft, along with their pick in 2018 as part of the trade that sent Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett to the Brooklyn in 2013. There?s a good chance the Nets pick this summer will be in the top five of the draft, and it?s fair to expect their 2018 selection to be a lottery pick as well."

Remember this when it comes to the LAC trade rumors.... a pick in 2021 and right to swap picks in 2022 may not sound ideal... but look at how that worked out for BOS.

It's better to obtain future picks from contenders who having aging roster, bc you're looking at high lottery picks.... game changers!

Now, would I prefer to trade Melo straight up for a player like Smart/Crowder/Brown and a pick this year (Take the BOS controlled BKLYN pick).... sure. Imagine drafting Jackson from KU and 1 of these top PG.....

Imagine this:

Stud 1st round PG
Rookie JAX
Jaylon Brown
KP
WHG

That would be our starting 5 hopefully for years to come....

But.... if rebuilding for the future is the goal.... then getting max value for asset is the key.... a lottery pick in 2021 is better than the 23rd pick this summer.

I just have this hunch that's pJaz is looking at BOs, as best trade partner. He's letting Ainge know that it's now or never.... NY might just give Melo to CLE or Lac....Ainge knows his team is a serious threat to win the EC if he trades for Melo, and while the price is costly it's also not a killer.

Smart, Brown, or Crowder and a top pick is not end of the work franchise back breaker..... they would be replacing the lost player with Melo.... and have plenty of picks anyway.

So, we wait 3 weeks. If Ainge seriously believes in this team, he will strike. If he doesn't, then he doesn't believe and he's just rebuilding like we are (and just using Horford and IT to build an org buzz).... or.... he snags a bigger fish.

But, again, if BOS deals Brown and a pick.... to get Melo? No-brainer

Ask yourself this: if you were BoS, and see that you are a few games away from the top seed.... With IT and Horford playing at their peak prime years.... do you wait and hope to build around Bradley, Brown, Smart? Or, Knowing most of the team is a free agent next summer, do you bring in melo and go for it now.... knowing you still have Nets 1st in 2018 plus 4-5 other 1st round picks next 2 seasons?

If I were a Bos fan, Id want to go for it....

So, for my money, I see Bos making a move soon.... Butler, a C, Melo? Who will depend on the cost.... right now, seems like Melo will cost the least.

tiger0330

Legend
Assuming Ainge is willing to trade Jaylen, he's high on him so he might not be. Who else do the Celtics trade to match salaries, Gerald Green, Jarebko, Amir Johnson.....

mafra

Legend
Assuming Ainge is willing to trade Jaylen, he's high on him so he might not be. Who else do the Celtics trade to match salaries, Gerald Green, Jarebko, Amir Johnson.....

I believe spare parts plus Amir, which to me means they probably need a third team b/c rebounding is already a weakness so dumping Johnson might hurt them in the paint.

I'm sure Ainge is high on Brown and I'm sure he wants to keep the BKLYN pick, but he has to decide if he's willing to sacrifice the short term (in essence, the IT-Horford years) b/c it's evident BOS has no chance beating TOR or CLE this year or next.

Smart probably makes the most sense (bc BOs can't sign everybody next year) and Phil probably prefers Brown.... but, to me, Brown and a 1st is about as fair of a deal as one can dream of for a player like Melo.

My only worry is BOs going for a Butler, Favors, or a some other bigger (younger) fish.

tiger0330

Legend
Remember all the hype about Okafor. He was the top choice for #1 for much of the time leading up to the draft. Lot's of trade rumors revolving around him now because of a crowded Sixer front court. The Knicks would have drafted him ahead of KP if he was available and it would have been the right decison without the benefit of hindsight. He turns out to be a one trick pony like DRose so far with the best post game of any of the young bigs but he's not athletic enough to be an A1 defender or rebouner and he's below avg FT shooter. The draft is such a crap shoot, almost makes me want to keep Melo.

Playa2

Benchwarmer

The Knicks don't like young flashy type pg's straight from College they get rid of them quickly (Strickland -Jackson).

Veteran pg's are the only ones that can handle the pressure at MSG, especially around playoff time.
The pg position at MSG when executed can make you into a god among the fans in NY.

Can you imagine if Jennings had his head on straight and wasn't so immature ?

Broadway

All Star
Remember all the hype about Okafor. He was the top choice for #1 for much of the time leading up to the draft. Lot's of trade rumors revolving around him now because of a crowded Sixer front court. The Knicks would have drafted him ahead of KP if he was available and it would have been the right decison without the benefit of hindsight. He turns out to be a one trick pony like DRose so far with the best post game of any of the young bigs but he's not athletic enough to be an A1 defender or rebouner and he's below avg FT shooter. The draft is such a crap shoot, almost makes me want to keep Melo.

Naaaaah you're still scoreboard watching Tig and you're fooling yourself into thinking Melo can be the difference in us making the playoffs this yr. He's not and he's never proven such since his arrival. Such shortsighted thinking...but let's go with what you posted and use it as a rule of thought. If what you said is true then why doesn't Phil put our pick on the block and make a trade that assures us of the playoffs?

Picks are crap shoots right or are they only crap shoots well before and/or hindsighted. I can tell you this...come draft day(in a much hyped deep draft this summer) with our pick in hand every last Knick fan will be on the edge of their seat especially if we could land Top 3. Also with pick and #kporzee on hand it only magnifies Melo's irrelevance going forward because it signifies a true change of guard on court. Remove him and a vision becomes more clear

Only a couple games out of 8th place why couldn't you reason Phil make a Melo trade that at least makes it interesting all the way until the mathematical end? We're only talking a couple games right? I can tell you why it's because you don't really feel that confident about the rest of the roster either, which suggest we don't have that good of a future going forward, which means Phil should trade Melo to at least breath life into one.

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend

I still would take Okafor over KP .... Lopez N Okafor in the starter lineup and Quinn N Seraphine off the bench would have stop opponents easy inside scoring plus gave opponents one shot on offense.
The majority of NBA teams like Philly n Knicks play to much SMALL-BALL having no defensive plan or system in their performance.
One year college-players like Okafor n KAT are PF in a lineup NEEDS a veteran center in their lineup their first 3 season in the NBA for their growth to improvement.
7.3 KP .. Is a CENTER needing a veteran PF in his lineup his first 3 seasons in the NBA.

Broadway

All Star
Actually trying to trade for players who haven't yet shown their full scope, is exactly what we should be trying to do if possible. Boston deal most likely doesn't get done and we surely aren't getting the Brooklyn pick for several reasons...

- Teams rarely if ever trade a well assumed top pick "in the middle of the season."

- Boston is guaranteed to at least land Top 4 even if they don't win the lottery via draft rules, so they know their best and worst position.

- Ainge offered Jordan this summer plenty assets for just the 9th overall pick and was turned down, trust me he's wants the motherload for Brooklyn's pick.

- Always smart to wait until draft season to consider moving such a pick to drive up asking price, because then everyone is in the mix

- I honestly don't think Melo wants to play there

But if both teams could be amicable to a deal I'd take something like

Tyler Zeller/Olynyk/Johnson/2018 1st/3 second round draft picks(best of what they have) before 2020

for

Melo/KO/Holiday

If they ask for WHG then I ask for Brown