Page 22 of 116 FirstFirst ... 216171819202122232425262728425272 ... LastLast

If we don't even OFFER Lawson then....I just don't know. I appreciate that Phil has a plan he's sticking with, but at least coach the team yourself, man. You're the master of the triangle, just stop this. If they don't offer him because he's not a fit for this offense in their opinion then, just, I...I don't know. This is sad. Where's Walsh/D'Antoni (ok, not so much D'Antoni) when you need them? Phil not interested in Tom Thibodeau? If that's true, another incredibly questionable way of thinking.

I'd even like Nate back, but if they won't offer Lawson, then why bother discussing it.

Sig made by Sons of Thunder

Lawson signs with Indy

12th man

Pacers got Hill and Lawson is not taking his job. The fit for PJ or the triangle aside he would be a better off on the Knicks as far as getting playing time and playing for a spot next season.

NBA execs: What Knicks could get in Carmelo Anthony trade

By Fred Kerber March 3, 2016
    NY Post

When Phil Jackson presented his state of the Knicks address after firing Derek Fisher last month, he noted some guys were off the trade table. That included Carmelo Anthony, largely because of the perennial All-Star’s no-trade clause.

But suppose this summer, after missing the playoffs for a third straight year, Anthony says “Enough,” and waives his no-trade clause. What sort of market could the Knicks expect?

The consensus of a small, but representative group of NBA team execs and personnel types said there would be an interested, willing market for Anthony. But all state the obvious, that despite Anthony’s star status, the Knicks could not expect to fetch anything like the haul they surrendered for him five years ago.

“There is a market. He’s still a star player. They could get a starter and a first-round draft pick and whatever else needed to make the salaries work,” one Eastern exec said.

But several team leaders indicated their belief the Knicks should have moved Anthony through a sign-and-trade in the summer of 2014.

“I disagreed signing him long-term because by the time the Knicks would be good or even just decent he’s too old,” one Western personnel guy said of Anthony, 31.

An Eastern exec echoed the “should have traded him back then” sentiment.

“The way to go for them in my eyes was to sign and trade him instead of getting into him for a long-term deal. It wasn’t like they just needed one more piece. They needed a lot of pieces,” he said.

But the same exec vigorously defended Anthony as a productive player.

“The guy plays hard,” the exec said. “The other night, [against Orlando], he played well and hard and it wasn’t coming easy. He competes every night. I think he gets a bad rap because he’s not LeBron.”

Anthony, obviously frustrated with the Knicks losing, is the only player in the NBA leading his team in scoring, rebounding and assists.

“What else can the guy do? That says a lot. He’s been surrounded by bad players. One year they were good and he had decent players around him, they got to the second round,” the same exec said. “Points, assists and rebounds. It’s like Bill Parcells said, your record says who you are. With Carmelo, his production tells you who he is. You could definitely get something of value for him.”

There are questions with Anthony, who re-upped for five years and $124 million in July 2014, with an early termination and no-trade clauses. Big bucks but “everybody’s going to have money,” one general manager stressed, as the new TV dollars flood the market.

A worry: Anthony’s surgically repaired knee has been troublesome.

“There are other considerations,” another Eastern exec said. “Is he healthy? There will be a market, I’d say with a return of an established player and a pick. It’s not going to be three first-round picks or anything, but there would be a decent return.

“Also,” he continued, “where would he waive his no-trade for? Look at the league. He’s not going back to Denver or Utah or some of the teams with picks. There will be interest, but he also has the 15 percent trade kicker. If they continue losing, he could say, ‘Let’s explore the market,’ but I don’t know what the market is because there will be other players who are more appealing — Blake Griffin, DeMarcus Cousins — based on age.”

The Knicks acquired Anthony from Denver Feb. 22, 2011, in a three-team trade involving Minnesota. The Knicks got Anthony, Chauncey Billups, Renaldo Balkman, Anthony Carter, Shelden Williams and Corey Brewer. Their losses included Wilson Chandler, Raymond Felton, Danilo Gallinari, Timofey Mozgov, a 2014 first-round pick and two second- rounders.

“There’s always a market,” one GM said. “Some people will give something but don’t get excited for like what Denver got going the other way. Realistically, I wouldn’t say a young stud but maybe a solid player and a pick. I could see a good team doing that for Carmelo. A bad team won’t want to part with a high lottery pick.

“The take wouldn’t be as strong because of the knee and his problems the last couple years because of it,” he said. “Listen, the guy is a prolific scorer. Elite. Do not question that. A team in the hunt would definitely want a guy like that.”

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by mafra View Post
    Lawson signs with Indy

No one really wants to play here unless we are holding them hostage at the Federal Reserve Bank

Veteran

Bunch of quotes circulating today online about Melo possibly being on the verge of wanting out and that there would absolutely be a small group of interested teams. They quote an unnamed Eastern Conference executive as saying we could get a 1st round pick, a starter, and whoever else is needed to match salaries.

I have less of a problem with Melo than many Knicks fans, but if that is the case, we should make the move this offseason. We need to go full rebuild. New coach, new roster, new draft picks.

12th man

Quote Originally Posted by htr10 View Post
    Bunch of quotes circulating today online about Melo possibly being on the verge of wanting out and that there would absolutely be a small group of interested teams. They quote an unnamed Eastern Conference executive as saying we could get a 1st round pick, a starter, and whoever else is needed to match salaries.

I have less of a problem with Melo than many Knicks fans, but if that is the case, we should make the move this offseason. We need to go full rebuild. New coach, new roster, new draft picks.
    Yeah, I think it's time. Trade him while you can get something for him, such as a good young player like Tobias Harris and a couple of picks. It may be Melo's decision with his no trade clause but PJ needs to initiate the discussion with Melo and tell him I want to take the Knicks in different direction without you.

Veteran

as they said in the godfather...if history taught us anything its that anyone can be traded...but his value is getting less and less... most probably we will have to take back 24m (or thereabouts) in salary, and maybe get a 1st rounder... but since a 2nd tier team probably will not want an 'old' Me-Lo , and he would prob nix a trade to such a team, he will be traded to a 1st tier team, and their 1st rounder will be a middle/end of the road pick...BUT.. u never know... that's why we have phil...

Quote Originally Posted by paris401 View Post
    as they said in the godfather...if history taught us anything its that anyone can be traded...but his value is getting less and less... most probably we will have to take back 24m (or thereabouts) in salary, and maybe get a 1st rounder... but since a 2nd tier team probably will not want an 'old' Me-Lo , and he would prob nix a trade to such a team, he will be traded to a 1st tier team, and their 1st rounder will be a middle/end of the road pick...BUT.. u never know... that's why we have phil...
    It really depends... Melo will hold out hope to recruit some players this summer. If nobody comes he will agree to let Phil deal him.

It depends where Durant goes too.

But, the most realistic trade is either Melo for Blake Griffin or a 3-way deal between CLE-BOS-NYK. Melo to Cavs, Love to BOS, Sullinger-Turner and draft pick (nets first rounder) to NY.

12th man

It really depends... Melo will hold out hope to recruit some players this summer. If nobody comes he will agree to let Phil deal him.

It depends where Durant goes too.

But, the most realistic trade is either Melo for Blake Griffin or a 3-way deal between CLE-BOS-NYK. Melo to Cavs, Love to BOS, Sullinger-Turner and draft pick (nets first rounder) to NY.
    I'm pretty sure he would go to Miami also. I wonder if Slick would be interested in Melo if Bosh is forced to retire. Dragic and filler for Melo? Sign Parsons in the off-season.

Dragic
    AA
    Parsons
    KP
    Rolo

Quote Originally Posted by tiger0330 View Post
    I'm pretty sure he would go to Miami also. I wonder if Slick would be interested in Melo if Bosh is forced to retire. Dragic and filler for Melo? Sign Parsons in the off-season.

Dragic
    AA
    Parsons
    KP
    Rolo

Imagine if Durant goes to GSW. Lebron throws arms in air and opts out... Goes back to MIA... Heat trade Whiteside (sign and trade) and Winslow to NYK for Melo.

Dragic, Wade, Lebron, Melo, bosh

Vs

curry, Thompson, Andre Iguadala, Durant, and Draymond Green.

NYK have potential dominating defensive front court of future with Whiteside-KP-Winslow

Veteran

Imagine if Durant goes to GSW. Lebron throws arms in air and opts out... Goes back to MIA... Heat trade Whiteside (sign and trade) and Winslow to NYK for Melo.

Dragic, Wade, Lebron, Melo, bosh

Vs

curry, Thompson, Andre Iguadala, Durant, and Draymond Green.

NYK have potential dominating defensive front court of future with Whiteside-KP-Winslow
    whiteside is a FA, makes 900k, far cry from Me-Lo's 'team-friendly' 24.5m for next year.. sign n trade.. maybe... but if u can sign him as a FA, not sure why u sign/trade... I'm not up to date with the in's/out's of contract's... but that's why we have the zen-master..

Quote Originally Posted by paris401 View Post
    whiteside is a FA, makes 900k, far cry from Me-Lo's 'team-friendly' 24.5m for next year.. sign n trade.. maybe... but if u can sign him as a FA, not sure why u sign/trade... I'm not up to date with the in's/out's of contract's... but that's why we have the zen-master..
    Only way for him to get that 5th year is for his team to agree on a sign and trade... But... Yeah... Even with that and Winslow... Probably need a deng or mcroberts to make money work.

Veteran

Knicks preferred to wait a little longer but realized there wasn't 182gms on the schedule to do so

Listen this move has major potential but this kid was waived in December come Phil

Veteran

lol