Official Trade Rumors Thread

mafra

Legend
The New York Post is reporting that the Knicks have inquired about Suns point guard Eric Bledsoe.
After handing out $80 million in guaranteed salary to Tim Hardaway Jr. and Ron Baker, the Knicks don't have any cap room left to sign a steady, reliable starting point guard. Thus, they are exploring trade options. However, assuming New York is unwilling to trade away future first-round picks, it would seem highly unlikely the Suns would be willing to part with Bledsoe for the pieces the Knicks could offer in exchange, such as Courtney Lee.

Broadway

All Star
The New York Post is reporting that the Knicks have inquired about Suns point guard Eric Bledsoe.
After handing out $80 million in guaranteed salary to Tim Hardaway Jr. and Ron Baker, the Knicks don't have any cap room left to sign a steady, reliable starting point guard. Thus, they are exploring trade options. However, assuming New York is unwilling to trade away future first-round picks, it would seem highly unlikely the Suns would be willing to part with Bledsoe for the pieces the Knicks could offer in exchange, such as Courtney Lee.

I don't know why I've been letting this slide buuuuuuuuutttt...

Yeah because he's not that athletic, doesn't shoot first, and passes the rock so willingly. So we'll ignore all his non fundamental ways, those of which to rub off on Frankie in this mentorship all because he and Hornacek are tight. The same Hornacek who proclaimed Bledsoe would be a STAR in this league...

SlapStick Comedy

mafra

Legend
The Knicks and Suns reportedly discussed a trade that would have sent Brandon Knight to New York.
The Knicks are desperate for a point guard, but not that desperate. Knight has one of the league's least desirable contracts. He is owed more than $43 million over the next three years. Last season, Knight was benched after the All-Star break and finished the season averaging 11.0 points, 2.4 assists and 2.2 rebounds, while shooting just 39.8 percent from the floor. The Suns will have a hard time finding a team to take Knight off their hands.

mafra

Legend
Kyrie Irving asked the Cavs to trade him in a meeting last week, according to ESPN's Brian Windhorst.
Source: Brian Windhorst on Twitter Jul 21 - 3:44 PM

mafra

Legend
Kyrie Irving asked the Cavs to trade him in a meeting last week, according to ESPN's Brian Windhorst.
Oh boy. "Irving has expressed that he wants to go play in a situation where he can be a more focal point and no longer wants to play alongside LeBron James," the report says. This comes off the heels of Irving saying things are "very peculiar" in Cleveland at an SI event earlier this week. The Cavs may be having the worst offseason possible and this can't be a good look to keep LeBron James next season. There's really no way to spin this positively for the Cavs.

Melo, Lee and draft picks!!!

mafra

Legend
Kyrie Irving is ready to end his run with the Cleveland Cavaliers, as league sources told ESPN that the guard has asked the team to trade him.

The request came last week and was made to Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert. Irving has expressed that he wants to play in a situation where he can be more of a focal point and that he no longer wants to play alongside LeBron James, sources said.

Irving's agent, Jeff Wechsler, would not confirm or deny whether Irving asked for a trade.

"Kyrie and I had a meeting with Cavs leadership where we discussed many different scenarios in reference to Kyrie and his future with the team," Wechsler told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski. "The basis of those discussions and what went on in those discussions are between the Cavs and us. We are respectfully going to keep those private."

The Cavaliers parted with general manager David Griffin last month after they couldn't come to an agreement on a contract extension. Cleveland has yet to name Griffin's replacement, and franchise centerpiece James has reportedly expressed concern about the team's direction.

James was informed of Irving's request and was blindsided and disappointed, sources said. Other members of the team have learned of Irving's intentions in recent days as well.

News of the request comes days after Irving told Sports Illustrated that the Cavaliers were in a "peculiar" place this offseason.

"I understand we're in a very peculiar place," Irving told the magazine. "We just have to, you know, make sure that all our pieces are aligned first, and then we go from there. It's the summertime, a lot of craziness going on in the NBA."

Irving has been with the Cavaliers since they made him the No. 1 overall pick in the 2011 draft. After miring through three losing seasons, Irving and the Cavaliers' fortunes changed with the return of James. The Big Three of James, Irving and Kevin Love have reached the past three NBA Finals, winning the title in 2016.

How to handle Irving's situation is clearly complex for the Cavs, as James can be a free agent next summer. Irving has three years and $60 million left on his contract, but he can opt out of the final year before the 2019-20 season.

By asking for a trade, Irving would be willingly giving up the chance to qualify and sign a "supermax" contract with the Cavs in 2019. This provision, installed in the just started collective bargaining agreement, was meant to deter star players from leaving their teams as they came up on their third contract. This is when numerous stars want to move, as has played out with Kevin Durant, Gordon Hayward and Paul George.

After winning the Eastern Conference title in May, Irving described his closeness with James and how staying together can benefit them.

"When you get to that level of trust and you allow someone to come into a friendship that extends well off the court," Irving said, "and you understand how great this era can be if we are selfless to the point where we don't think about anything else except for the greatness of our team and what we can accomplish."

Irving had a good relationship with Griffin, who was a point man in selling Irving on a five-year contract extension in 2014 despite the team coming off four consecutive losing seasons.

Griffin understood Irving's desires for his career had to be managed and worked regularly both to challenge Irving and, at times, soothe him. Coach Tyronn Lue is also a strong supporter of Irving and has been a strong defender when his game -- which was sometimes more shoot first than pass first for a point guard -- came under criticism.

When Irving signed his deal, he expected to be the franchise player for the foreseeable future. But about two weeks later, James arrived from Miami. The sudden change of situation rocked Irving, and he has vacillated at times over the past three years about working as a secondary star to James and the original plan of having his own team.

He discussed the challenge during last month's NBA Finals.

"Having just a tremendously great player like that come to your team and you see yourself being one of those great players eventually and then he ends up joining it and then now you have to almost take a step back and observe," Irving said. "Finding that balance is one of the toughest things to do because you have so much belief and confidence in yourself. ... Selfishly, I always wanted to just show everyone in the whole entire world exactly who I was every single time."

With this in mind, Irving considered requesting a trade following the Cavs championship last season but decided against it, sources said.

Irving, a four-time All-Star, has assembled some terrific numbers during his six-year career. Last season, he averaged a career-high 25.2 points and 5.8 assists per game while shooting 40.1 percent on 3-pointers. For his career, he has averaged 21.6 points, 3.4 rebounds and 5.6 assists per game.

However, Irving has not excelled when playing without James. Last season, the Cavs were outscored by 90 points in 574 minutes when Irving played and James didn't. In the playoffs, they were outscored by 30 points in 61 minutes. In the Finals against the Golden State Warriors, the Cavs were outscored 37-13 when Irving was on the court and James was off.

I mean, I doubt Kyrie wants to come to the Knicks, but c'mon. Melo for Kyrie has got to be at least a consideration for Cleveland and Lebron.

Broadway

All Star
Kyrie gave a list of 4 teams: SA, MIN, MIA, and NYK.

Knicks is always a leverage destination to keep a player's value high. He picked us because he knows we'd offer the pinches of loafs we have for him. Trust we're not a real destination of preference. Much the same the Mavs were never a real destination when Melo had them on his free agency tour.

Broadway

All Star
Otoh how bad has Lebron's image been from a player's perspective? This guy can only draw washed up bums, this is what happens when you muck the league up and then pout when things don't go your way

Knicks is always a leverage destination to keep a player's value high. He picked us because he knows we'd offer the pinches of loafs we have for him. Trust we're not a real destination of preference. Much the same the Mavs were never a real destination when Melo had them on his free agency tour.

Unless I'm missing something, Kyrie doesn't have a no-trade clause. Cleveland can ship him wherever they want. Cue Lebron James on a banana boat wearing a life jacket with Melo's face on the back. Melo for Kyrie. Done. You have to believe in the power of the banana boat.

mafra

Legend

Not sure how naming NYK as 1/4 really gives KI leverage here? Either CLE willing to trade him or not... ANd, if they do trade him, naming NY pretty much sets bar at AT LEAST a player of Melo's caliber... In that sense, it sets market for the other 3.

The question is, though, is who is willing to give up what and what does CLE want?

SA will surrender Larmarcus... NYK has Melo... NOt sure what MIA has of value to Cavs for this season.... Would MIN give up Wiggins?

If NYK is 1/4 teams.... We all know Lebron wants Melo... It's not highly unlikely something gives... if it ever comes to CLE dealing KI.

Melo and Lee, then CLE signs Rose... makes 1 more run at title. We shall see how motivated Lebron and CLE are to trade KI (if at all) and what sort of exec Perry is.

Broadway

All Star
I mean, I doubt Kyrie wants to come to the Knicks, but c'mon. Melo for Kyrie has got to be at least a consideration for Cleveland and Lebron.

Lebron is ghost after this season. Cleveland wouldn't give up the mighty Kevin Love for him last yr why would they give up Kyrie for him? James supposedly is hands off here and has sent word it's up to Cleveland to hang themselves by their own rope with the Kyrie situation. If there was ever a time to openly recruit Melo wouldn't it be now? I mean CP3 and Harden and other players are doing so?

Lebron is a CLUCK and I'm happy Kyrie had the jewels to do this. This is a sign of someone who can stand on their own when the going gets tough, instead of trying to be caped like a little Bee.

Broadway

All Star
Not sure how naming NYK as 1/4 really gives KI leverage here? Either CLE willing to trade him or not... ANd, if they do trade him, naming NY pretty much sets bar at AT LEAST a player of Melo's caliber... In that sense, it sets market for the other 3.

The question is, though, is who is willing to give up what and what does CLE want?

SA will surrender Larmarcus... NYK has Melo... NOt sure what MIA has of value to Cavs for this season.... Would MIN give up Wiggins?

If NYK is 1/4 teams.... We all know Lebron wants Melo... It's not highly unlikely something gives... if it ever comes to CLE dealing KI.

Melo and Lee, then CLE signs Rose... makes 1 more run at title. We shall see how motivated Lebron and CLE are to trade KI (if at all) and what sort of exec Perry is.

You just proved my point with your reply if Cleveland engages us they will ask for #kporzee and a pick or two and why shouldn't they?(We should say no btw). Which means Kyrie knows those teams might be willing to go up the ladder for him, which holds his value high. Also it's a market ploy, this is very similar to using our stage to hype him.

SA can offer L.A. all they want that will not do it, especially after his last 2 seasons there.

Melo is not going to do anything for Cleveland. They said no last yr when Phil asked for Kevin Love and the last time I checked...Kyrie>>>>>>>>Love and it's not even close.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
The Cavs would not be better with a Melo for Kyrie trade, if they're serious about trading him I would approach the Spurs for Aldridge, Danny Green or Dejonte Murray. Cavs would have to throw in Shump with Kyrie to get Green but they would be glad to be rid of Shump for Green.

Surprising news about Kyrie, never knew he was that kind of primadonna, he might not be the MAN next to Lebron but he gets plenty of credit as the 2nd best player on that team.

Broadway

All Star
The Cavs would not be better with a Melo for Kyrie trade, if they're serious about trading him I would approach the Spurs for Aldridge, Danny Green or Dejonte Murray. Cavs would have to throw in Shump with Kyrie to get Green but they would be glad to be rid of Shump for Green.

Surprising news about Kyrie, never knew he was that kind of primadonna, he might not be the MAN next to Lebron but he gets plenty of credit as the 2nd best player on that team.

Actually he didn't get enough, he was arguably the best player in their Finals victory over GSW. I applaud him for this move, when is enough enough dealing with all of Lebron's antics. No Lebron will not create a situation where he oky dokes Kyrie...more like jokes on him Kyrie will bounce before him and leave him in shambles.

Broadway

All Star
Michael Rappaport dropped a scathing tweet moments ago on this, couldn't agree more with him and he's usually "very extra" with his takes.

mafra

Legend
You just proved my point with your reply if Cleveland engages us they will ask for #kporzee and a pick or two and why shouldn't they?(We should say no btw). Which means Kyrie knows those teams might be willing to go up the ladder for him, which holds his value high. Also it's a market ploy, this is very similar to using our stage to hype him.

SA can offer L.A. all they want that will not do it, especially after his last 2 season's there.

Melo is not going to do anything for Cleveland. They said no last yr when Phil asked for Kevin Love and the last time I checked...Kyrie>>>>>>>>Love and it's not even close.

Cavs limited in the sense b/c Irving only under their control for this season and next... Tough call, but they should ask for the soon and moon. Then again, who will meet their demands knowing they can sign him soon?