Official Trade Rumors Thread

Kiyaman

Legend
Mudiay is still young and better than Nits. I think Perry has his doubts about Nits or at least how long the Knicks have to wait for him to develop. Funny, I just asked htr10 if Nits upside is Mudiay's would he consider him a bust in another thread. Props to Perry for doing something at the deadline that might pan out if Mudiay blossoms.

Props to the Cavs GM Altman for remaking that team at the deadline. I think they got better, the Cavs were not stopping anyone with IT and DRose. They now have some size at PG and a good defender in Hill, Hood will be a plus as a 3 pt shooter.

The Cavs did well on the trading deadline at changing half their roster for 2-way players only .. Cavs added a well experience playoff PG George Hill to their roster plus a high scorer SG/SF Hood, plus 2 upcoming young star role-players Nance n Clarkson.
Last season Hill n Wood took Jazz to playoff, and both Clarkson n Nance are coming off of a great season with the Lakers.

We Knick fans are clueless of our 19 yr old rookie Frank Nitty over-all performance on the court because of Knicks poor coaching substitution, mixer of change lineup each game, short spurts of playing time, each game a mixer of player lineups different from the previous game, plus never putting Frank in a lineup with a veteran PG to mentor Frank skills but always in a 3 guard lineup with Cee THJ n Baker calling the plays for Frank.
I feel sorry for Mudai going to a TANKING headcoach Knicks team !!!

mafra

Legend
Knicks should take on Deng?s contract, to help LA get KL, LJ, and PG3.

Get a pick and Ingrahm for Deng.

Trade up to 4, taking Parsons

Knicks should not sit tight and hope for Kyrie. At the least, chase Randall now that LAK can?t keep him.

Celtics and PHI improved by absorbing bad contracts for assets.

Broadway

All Star
Knicks should take on Deng’s contract, to help LA get KL, LJ, and PG3.

Get a pick and Ingrahm for Deng.

Trade up to 4, taking Parsons

Knicks should not sit tight and hope for Kyrie. At the least, chase Randall now that LAK can’t keep him.

Celtics and PHI improved by absorbing bad contracts for assets.

Broadway

All Star
Okay so Kawhi's team is getting ahead of everything trying to control narrative of how this off-season will play out. Seems like his team wants him in a big market preferably L.A.

mafra

Legend
I seriously doubt Pops and SA will send KL to Lakers. This leaves NY has the most attractive place for KL....

I?m sure Spurs would love to ?banish? KL to Knicks, but it?s probably a case where BOS has the better package. Would a Kyrie for KL work out?

Word is NY is one of the top places KL covets. His camp wants big market and they know that if KL ends up there... Kyrie will join them next Summer.

Kyrie-KL-KP is definitely a championship caliber foundation.

I also don?t envision KL as the type to pull a LJ or KD. He?ll go the Kyrie route and want to be his own man.

tiger0330

Legend
Kawhi can get that super max deal from the Spurs and Texas has no state income tax while CA has one of at least 10%, why would he leave? This is going to blow over if the Spurs offer him that super max deal or blow up if they don't.

Broadway

All Star
Teams like Boston, Clippers, Wolves, Philly would make 1yr rental offers Spurs would go for a la Paul George rental to hopeful resigning

mafra

Legend
It?s almost like why a Kyrie for KL makes sense... Maybe they toss in Smart or a pick.... Rozier, Brown, KL, Tatum, Horford and Heyward.

Then again, maybe SA would prefer to banish KL to the moribund Knicks.
Why do him a solid?

I think if we offer KP he?s ours.

Last edited:

Mike1989

Rookie
I seriously doubt Pops and SA will send KL to Lakers. This leaves NY has the most attractive place for KL....

I?m sure Spurs would love to ?banish? KL to Knicks, but it?s probably a case where BOS has the better package. Would a Kyrie for KL work out?

Word is NY is one of the top places KL covets. His camp wants big market and they know that if KL ends up there... Kyrie will join them next Summer.

Kyrie-KL-KP is definitely a championship caliber foundation.

I also don?t envision KL as the type to pull a LJ or KD. He?ll go the Kyrie route and want to be his own man.

There was a rumor not long ago that Pop did not want to trade Leonard within the western conference, which makes sense because he wouldn't want to potentially strengthen another rival if the Spurs desire is to rebuild on the fly.

If we could end up with Kyrie, Leonard and Porzingis as our trio that could be exciting times for the Knicks. However, the flip side of that is all three guys are injury prone. None of them have played in every regular season game. As a rookie Kyrie couldn't even manage 66 games in a shortened season, since then has missed 22, 11, 7, 29, 10, and 22 regular season games. Kawhi's nearest full season came as a rookie when he played 64 of 66 games, since then he has missed 24, 16, 18, 10, 8 and 73 games. Our own KP has missed 10, 16, and 34 games since coming into the league. I don't doubt the championship potential of that trio but we would need to hope they stay healthy.

I would have to disagree with the notion that KL is not the type to pull a LJ or KD because his desire to be traded from the Spurs says otherwise. I was born in 1989 and since the 1989-1990 season the Spurs have been the winningest team in the entire NBA. They have missed the play offs once in the last twenty nine seasons. They had 18 consecutive 50+ win seasons from 99/00-16/17 and that would have been 20 had there not been a strike shortened season in 98/99 because the year prior they won 56 games. Under Pop they have won 5 NBA championships and should have won 6 championships. If KL wants to be his own man he's in the perfect place to do that in San Antonio, however I suspect his motives are the same as LeBron and Durant. Both of them left Cleveland and OKC because they knew they had a better chance at a championship elsewhere. If KL is motivated by the same desire to win he will bolt a year from now if he's traded to somewhere that doesn't offer him that. Why? Because it's clearly not he money that motivates him, if it was he would sign a super max with the Spurs because he won't get that from another team unless a sign-and-trade occurs and the Spurs have no reason to do that for him. The only other reason he could have for wanting out is to go play in his hometown and if that's the case he will bolt from wherever he's traded a year from now if that's not one of the teams in LA, though perhaps he would accept playing in Northern California for Sacramento or Golden State.

It?s almost like why a Kyrie for KL makes sense... Maybe they toss in Smart or a pick.... Rozier, Brown, KL, Tatum, Horford and Heyward.

Then again, maybe SA would prefer to banish KL to the moribund Knicks.
Why do him a solid?

I think if we offer KP he?s ours.

The issue with this suggested trade is that one of Brown, Heyward and Tatum will have to come off the bench as the sixth man. They need Rozier to run the point, Horford to play center, and they aren't giving lots away to acquire Leonard in order to bring him off the bench. So that leaves two spots available and Tatum is arguably the best fit at PF and no sane person would reduce his role after his breakout rookie season. So that means they will either use Brown's 3-and-D ability at SG and utilize Hayward as sixth man, or start Hayward and use Brown off the bench. On the one hand this does leave them stacked, but on the other someone is going to be unhappy because I doubt Hayward would be fine with coming off the bench and I am not convinced Jaylen Brown would be too happy about it either.

I suspect the Spurs would want a more guaranteed return for Leonard because if Kyrie does want to leave for New York, then the Spurs aren't going to want to trade one guy that will opt out and leave for another guy that will opt out and leave. So a more logical trade would be built around Gordon Hayward because he has two guaranteed seasons and a player option. He also gives the Spurs another 20 a night scorer and one time all star to pair with Aldridge to keep them competitive next season. At that point the Spurs would likely want at least one young player and pick, which could be Rozier or Brown since both have significant appeal to the Spurs and offer enough upside to tempt them. Smart is a good defensive player and glue guy but not really someone that possesses enough upside to warrant building the next Spurs team around.

Kawhi can get that super max deal from the Spurs and Texas has no state income tax while CA has one of at least 10%, why would he leave? This is going to blow over if the Spurs offer him that super max deal or blow up if they don't.

It's not just the super max. In the last twenty nine seasons they have missed the play offs once. They had a streak of 18 seasons with 50+ wins and that would have been 20 seasons had their not been a strike shortened season. They have five NBA championships which should have been six. Now I could understand if he was like Dwight Howard when he played in Orlando. They never won a title and he didn't have a great supporting cast, so I could understand him wanting to leave that type of organization for somewhere that offered him a better chance at competing for titles on a team with better talent. However, Leonard is on the winningest organization of the past 30 years and it just doesn't make sense.

If they do offer him the super max that might tempt him to stay, unless of course he's not motivated by money and simply wants to play for his hometown team or on a team that can win a title like Durant did when he left OKC for Golden State.

mafra

Legend
Both KL and Kyrie are free agents next summer... So, both would be trading guys only under control for 1 season. Spurs might do it
To obtain an asset then turn around and flip Kyrie. Who knows.

KL wants out of SA bc he didn?t like what happened this year with his injury. He didn?t appreciate how the org handled it and treated him. He also sees writing on the wall, that the SA run is ending... Probably knows Pops is about to leave too... So, hard to know the true motovation bc we aren?t privy to what?s happening inside that team.

I don?t see anybody offering SA more than Porzingis. So, I think if NY wants him and SA is prepared to rebuild, knowing the run is over, and thinking about Murray-KP future... then they would jump at the deal.

Knicks need to decide if they want to build around KP or make the move now to focus on pairing KL with Kyrie.

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
?The good news for the Knicks is that Spurs coach/president Gregg Popovich likes Knicks young point guard Frank Ntilikina a lot. The bad news for the Knicks is, Popovich also loves Kristaps Porzingis ? whose inclusion is probably the only way a Kawhi Leonard deal gets done.

While the Knicks would have to kick the tires, as they still don?t have a starting small forward on their roster, it seems unfathomable to include Porzingis in a deal for a player who has had serious knee/quadriceps issues the past two seasons.?

https://nypost.com/2018/06/15/the-porzingis-caveat-that-could-block-a-knicks-kawhi-trade/amp/

I think we stay away from this Kawhi Leonard situation. It?s similar in my mind to the Kyrie Irving situation last year. Everyone seems to evoke the Knicks as a potential desired trade destination. In the end, the player?s current team is going to take the best offer and we?re not in a position to make that offer. KP for KL straight up would be one thing, but Spurs are going to want multiple additional assets. We?d be gutted just like the Melo trade.

Kiyaman

Legend
I think we stay away from this Kawhi Leonard situation. It?s similar in my mind to the Kyrie Irving situation last year. Everyone seems to evoke the Knicks as a potential desired trade destination. In the end, the player?s current team is going to take the best offer and we?re not in a position to make that offer. KP for KL straight up would be one thing, but Spurs are going to want multiple additional assets. We?d be gutted just like the Melo trade.

I will ship Tired-KP and clueless Tim Hardaway Jr. to San Antonio ASAP for Kahwi !!!

If Pop is tired of Kahwi to the point of trading Kahwi to the next team, that team will be to a Lottery eastern conference team like 25-57 Magic, 28-54 Nets, or the mismanagement 29-53 Knicks.
And Yes, Pop will be looking for a SUCKER Team like the Nets to trade away future first round picks ..
Like Boston did to the Nets for KG n PP

mafra

Legend
For what it?s worth, KW?s uncle and Kyrie?s dad live in same town in NJ (and talk)... we can only dream that the two of them are conspiring like the trio did back in 2008 Olympics.

Conspiring to meet in NY next summer... Irving already on record saying he won?t sign an extension. KL needs to follow suite (don?t pull a Melo). Just let it be known you aren?t signing an extension no matter what.

KP, Knits, lottery pick this week and next year plus Irving and KL equals title contender.