With the 4th Pick (I Predict) P-Jax selects WCS

mafra

Legend
I think the Knicks will take Willie Cauley-Stein for 3 reasons:

1) I think Okafor, Towns, & Russell will be off the board.

2) I don't see a team giving up much to jump up to 4; I don't see a prospect that commands that need/urgency; I don't see an offer good enough for NYK to trade out. This combo means NYK will not be trading out of the top-7;

3) Winslow (too much a tweener); Mudiay (PG not important in the triangle); Herz-n-Pirz (too scared to gamble on the Euro mysteries), Payne, Kaminskly, & Lyles are nice but no at 4.

All of this SCREAMS WCS. Of all the options, WCS helps this team the most this upcoming season.

1) He's tough played football.

2) He's coachable. He accepted his role at Kentucky.

3) He's a JR. Stayed in college 3 years.

4) He is BIG and ATHLETIC. Shotblocker/rim protector who can cover PG and smother the P&R.

5) He is surprising people with his shooting ability.

This kid is an aloof-hippie like Phil. JAX says he wants to improve the interior defense. He is built for the triangle (can knock down mid-range jumpers). Already posses a viable, translatable NBA skill. Has a high ceiling and is a safe pick.

OUR Front Court moving FWD will be:
Melo
Monroe
WCS

-----------------

http://nypost.com/2015/06/16/cauley-stein-busting-knock-on-him-before-knicks-workout/

Kentucky associate coach Kenny Payne got a text from an NBA organization Sunday raving about how well Wildcats defensive center Willie Cauley-Stein shot during his workout there.

?They were floored,?? Payne told The Post. ?I forwarded the text to Willie. He said, ?It?s amazing people are shocked I can shoot the ball.? I told him, ?You never showed it ? only in spurts.? ?

Concerns about Cauley-Stein?s offense (8.0 ppg, 6.2 rebounds in his Kentucky career) are why the junior will be available at No. 4 when Knicks president Phil Jackson is on the clock at the June 25 draft.

On Tuesday, Cauley-Stein will finally get his workout in Tarrytown in front of Jackson?s Knicks staff.

After the Chicago combine in mid-May and before the draft lottery, Cauley-Stein, according to a source, met with the Knicks in New York ? an indication of Jackson?s anxiousness. Cauley-Stein had mistakenly said at the combine it would be a pre-lottery workout.

?Skillwise, the sky?s the limit on where I can take it,? Cauley-Stein said at the combine. ?I?m athletic enough to do a lot of different things.??

Much of that is on defense. Known as a modern-day Tyson Chandler, Cauley-Stein anchored Kentucky?s super-team that was stunned in the semifinals of the NCAA Tournament. He?s also 21 ? a good age for Jackson?s Knicks, who prefer drafting a big who can contribute immediately alongside Carmelo Anthony. The Knicks don?t have a single traditional big man signed for next season.

Payne works specifically with Kentucky?s bigs and has helped advance Anthony Davis, Nerlens Noel and Julius Randle into the NBA. But he?s never compared those guys with former Kentucky point guard John Wall.

?Very rarely do you find 7-1 guys with his size and length who can move the way he moves,?? Payne said. ?Not quite at his level, but he?s John Wall-ish at 7-1. That kind of speed and athleticism. When you have a kid like that, the potential is there, talent is there. It?s just getting it where it?s shown.

?Willie can end up being an All-Star.?

Payne believes Cauley-Stein is more of a late bloomer because, as a wide receiver in Kansas, he was dedicated to his high school football team.

?Unlike most top recruits, Willie mostly just started focusing on basketball when he came to Kentucky,?? Payne said. ?He looked funny with a helmet on at 6-10. He was under-the-radar in high school, while [projected No. 1 pick] Karl-Anthony Towns has been great for five years.??

A ****y Cauley-Stein said in May he goes against buddy Towns in practice and has always felt they were even. His role with the Wildcats just didn?t allow his offense to glow.

tiger0330

Legend
George Karl while not hyping WCS like Payne was doing did says WCS offensive game was much better than he expected.

His D and rebounding should translate immediately for the Knicks and fill big weaknesses the Knicks had last season.

Greg Monroe, I don't know esp for max money. SVG went in the direction of a big who could spread the floor and give Andre more room to work in the paint rather than trying to retain Monroe.

mafra

Legend
George Karl while not hyping WCS like Payne was doing did says WCS offensive game was much better than he expected.

His D and rebounding should translate immediately for the Knicks and fill big weaknesses the Knicks had last season.

Greg Monroe, I don't know esp for max money. SVG went in the direction of a big who could spread the floor and give Andre more room to work in the paint rather than trying to retain Monroe.

NO WAY do I outbid myself & give Monroe the max. I draw the line at 15 mil. I try to convince him to gamble on himself and sign a 1 yr deal for 10-12 mil (player option 2nd year for 15-20 mil), telling him cap goes up next year (and we could resign our own - bird rights). If he wants to win, help us build a roster. If he wants security... 50 mil for 4-5 years.

If he wants 18-22 mil... I pass.

There are other options (bigs) to play PF...

WCS will be our Noah... Our TC... now we need a PG and a in compliment (Danny Green type; a 3-&-D guy).

tiger0330

Legend
NO WAY do I outbid myself & give Monroe the max. I draw the line at 15 mil. I try to convince him to gamble on himself and sign a 1 yr deal for 10-12 mil (player option 2nd year for 15-20 mil), telling him cap goes up next year (and we could resign our own - bird rights). If he wants to win, help us build a roster. If he wants security... 50 mil for 4-5 years.

If he wants 18-22 mil... I pass.

There are other options (bigs) to play PF...

WCS will be our Noah... Our TC... now we need a PG and a in compliment (Danny Green type; a 3-&-D guy).
Like Bargnani except we offer 10M/2 year deal team option the 2nd year. If it doesn't work out he becomes a 5M trade chip the 2nd year. It's at least a plan B if Monroe goes to the Celtics.

Kiyaman

Legend
I like WCS ...but not at the 4th pick. Especially when offering FA Jordan Hill a 4 yr. $46M contract would be a better rotation big with Monroe/Melo

Coach Fisher need to groom Thanis & Winslow at the big-guard to help Melo on the wing the next 4 seasons.
When it come to selecting Mudiay/Russell with the 4th pick .. I keep thinking about starter PG Larkins this past season

Kiyaman

Legend
Like Bargnani except we offer 10M/2 year deal team option the 2nd year. If it doesn't work out he becomes a 5M trade chip the 2nd year. It's at least a plan B if Monroe goes to the Celtics.

Anything above $10M per for Greg Monroe is not worth it .. Barg has never been a trade chip, let'em go!

tiger0330

Legend
Anything above $10M per for Greg Monroe is not worth it .. Barg has never been a trade chip, let'em go!
Maybe not as a player but we could trade him before June 30 before his contract becomes guaranteed in exchange for a player making 6M similar to what Detroit did with Butler and Williams.

mafra

Legend
Maybe not as a player but we could trade him before June 30 before his contract becomes guaranteed in exchange for a player making 6M similar to what Detroit did with Butler and Williams.

Is Mozgov a free agent? Bring him back for 8 mil per...

Paul1355

All Star
Mafra- there is a very high chance Cauley Stein gets picked for several reasons:

1) Phil has admitted several times his desire for a big man. Cauley Stein is not only big at 7 feet but he is super athletic and can guard 1-5.

2) We were one of the worst defensive teams last season and WCS would help tremendously.

3) WCS apparently had a fantastic Knicks workout, one of his best as reported.

4) Jackson scouted kentucky more than any other team so you know he saw WCS as the 2nd option if Towns wasnt availble. Some games for kentucky WCS was the best player on the floor, not Towns.

5) Jackson saw how big of a loss a Chandler type center was to the Knicks. WCS could be better than Chandler.

6) There aren't other safe options...Prozingis? Mudiay? WCS and Winslow are the safest bets and since Phil needs a big man I would favor the odds going to WCS

Paul1355

All Star
I just posted a thread combining this article and other recent trade rumors. I agree I think Stein is what we need...a solid super athletic defensive big man. A guy that can guard any position is key and we sorely missed Tysons help defense.

Stein could be better than Tyson

And it makes sense to draft stein if we are going for Greg Monroe who can't defend the paint.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

mafra

Legend
We will find out if Phil is a FAKER LAKER tonight ???

WHAT IF... SAC-LAK cannot reach an agreement. What if, LAK discover SAC doesn't want to deal Cousins to a team in-state, and they keep asking for more, and more, and more... What if Cousins doesn't want to go to LA (he's from Mobile, ALA)...

What if LAK have that itch t get good quickly, as in now. What if they want to take the city back from the Clippers, and try to get Kobe 1 more ring? What if...

What If Mitch and the prodigal son call Jenny into the office and ask her to get her man on the line.

What if LAK offers Randle & the #2 pick for 'Melo?

1) LA recruited Melo last year.
2) Melo would waive no-trade for LA
3) LA is proving the want t go for it now.
4) Trade for Melo and sign Wade, Love or Aldridge.
5) Phil explains to 'Melo there's no immediate help at 4 (we are drafting a project, building for the future).
6) Melo doesn't see help coming in free agency.
7) Melo knows his window is closing and wants to win (doesn't want another 20win season).

It's possible Knicks trade for Randle and the #2. They take Russell, knowing if not PHI will. Then, take Okafor-Pirzingis-Hezonja-Mudiay at 4.

We have our future:

Russell
Randle
Okafor