How will 2015 FA act towards Knicks draft selection

Kiyaman

Legend
Will the Knicks 2015 draft selection have any effect on FA decision to sign with Knicks?

free-agent - PF David West are interested in signing with the Knicks .. WHY?
Is it because the Knicks dont have a starter or backup PF on the roster?

Kiyaman

Legend
Having over $25M to spend on the 2015 FA market .. the Knicks should be able to sign ONE of the top-7 FA

1) LaMarcus Aldridge
2) Kawhi Leonard
3) DeAndre Jordan
4) Marc Gasol
5) Jimmy Butler
6) Rajon Rondo
7) Drammond Green

If not, WHY?

tiger0330

Legend
Not sure if you saw this Kiya in the NY Post. But you may be right about Zingis not be the right choice if you wanted to attract FA's.

Nevertheless, one representative connected to a prominent free agent believes Jackson is going to have a hard time convincing top players that the Knicks are on the cusp of winning, especially after drafting 7-foot-1 Latvian project Kristaps Porzingis with the fourth pick in last week’s draft.

The Post reported Tuesday free-agent power forward David West has very low interest in the Knicks because of their barren roster — apart from Carmelo Anthony — and how far away they are from contention.

“They took a Latvian guy who may or may not be good,’’ the individual connected to the free agent told The Post. “It’s very strange. They should’ve taken more of a tried-and-true guy, even a Justise Winslow. Top free agents are looking at winning now. It’s fun to go to the playoffs and have a chance to compete for the Finals. They’re not going to win this year.’’

It does seem like very few people have faith in the skinny kid from Spain. His induction to the Knicks seems to becoming more of a deterrent then a welcoming asset. I guess it's to be expected when there is very little known about him. All his game footage so far...(IMO) only showcases potential...but players in this league are only concerned with winning ASAP. I guess that's fair considering that no ones future in this league is set in stone. I sure hope the knicks weren't banking on Porzingous to be a player that would help attract veteran FA's. They may be able to convince a starved fanbase, but players know the game and have more of an insight on who they think gives them a better shot at winning. Teams are making moves all over the place but the Knicks have yet to make a splash in FA...not a good sign.

Personally, I think mello could've play well off of Winslow. I also think his presence will help Phil out in this Free Agency.

The Zinger will do well if he can stay healthy and add a little muscle...he's going to need to be in better condition to play in this league, just a little bit more meat..not too much. I'm really just giving the kid the benifit of doubt, i do see a little shine in him...i just hope its not fools gold. No one was really expecting a project, i think its fair to say that many of us wanted someone that "we know" has the potential to contribute now. Man, the summer league can't get here fast enough. Hope the kid will make it there.

Oh, Grant seems like a nice pick too.

Winslow, Grant, Mello...[add whoever else here].

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Melo could've played fine with Winslow but there's a reason FIVE OTHER TEAMS passed on him - he's not that good! Winslow's workouts apparently weren't great and he only measures 6'4.5" without shoes which is small even for a shooting guard. There's no way he has the size to play SF in the NBA. He'd have to play SG, and I'm not sure has the quickness or ball-handling to be effective from there. That's probably why he fell in the draft.

tiger0330

Legend
Melo could've played fine with Winslow but there's a reason FIVE OTHER TEAMS passed on him - he's not that good! Winslow's workouts apparently weren't great and he only measures 6'4.5" without shoes which is small even for a shooting guard. There's no way he has the size to play SF in the NBA. He'd have to play SG, and I'm not sure has the quickness or ball-handling to be effective from there. That's probably why he fell in the draft.
Winslow probably has the best body to endure an 82 game NBA schedule. Zingis I don't know, strains a hip after going through a couple of NBA workouts.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Winslow probably has the best body to endure an 82 game NBA schedule. Zingis I don't know, strains a hip after going through a couple of NBA workouts.

Yes, Winslow is NBA-ready. I know that. He's probably a slightly better shooting version of Iman Shumpert. You don't draft a player like that with the #4 pick just because he's NBA-ready. That'd be something you could do if you were a team on the cusp of a championship, but this team lost 65 games last season.

yes, a combo guard is how I would play him in this system.

Actually I don’t consider Porzingis to be a better prospect than Winslow, just someone that might be a good fit for Phils dated Triangle. Other than that… I wouldn’t have drafted him over Winslow.

Judging from what I’ve seen of him…Porzingis is not that good of a finisher around the rim, he lacks an inside game for someone with his height. Most of his points in the paint comes from put backs. He’s also a poor rebounded, but he seems to have decent enough feet to be a shot blocker (with that wingspan).
His thin frame also makes him a great liability, especially for a big man. He gets knock around and off balance a lot because he’s basically a walking stick.
His jump shot looks good (in practice) but the Euro league is known for having shooters turn below average once they play in the NBA. I never really cared for big men that can shoot but struggle to actually play Big Man ball.

Our history with Euro players is abysmal. If this kid fails to hit shots from outside he will be a bust. Because... ATM, he doesn’t have the body to be a force down low, his body just isn’t ready to bang in the post (offensively or defensively). Plus, his defensive awareness is also suspect, foul trouble is going to be another issue with this guy...in this league.

As I said, for the system it makes since, but the system is just about obsolete and I’m wondering if/when we have to adjust will he also be able to change his game from playing on the outside to the inside. 82 NBA games on a frail frame…not likely. Time will tell thou…neither of us can do that.

What I’ve seen of Winslow thus far…he’s way better then Shumpert, he has size and athleticism, great speed and can create his own shot off the dribble as well as spotting up. A Lefty, 39% 3pt shooter, rarely turns the ball over, a great on ball defender with great awareness, and seems to always give a lot of effort on both ends of the floor. Good B-Ball IQ with good body control at high speeds and around the rim. Also seems to have nice characteristic qualities. His free throw shooting and consistency will improve if he can sustain that level of intensity and focus on defense. Defense often opens up your offensive game.

All that said…I still hold a little faith in the pick. I just don’t know too much about him, and giving our track record with the Euro league…I’m not as enthused as some “faithful's” might be. Sorry. but I’m going to need to see much more of this guy before I start thinking he was the better pick over Winslow. I’ve seen enough of Winslow and Grant to form a good enough opinion of him… but hardly anyone knows Kristaps. Dudes around the league don’t seem that impressed with him either. But hey, let’s hope that motivates him to show us what Phil sees in him. *fingers crossed*

mafra

Legend
"All that said…I still hold a little faith in the pick. I just don’t know too much about him, and giving our track record with the Euro league…I’m not as enthused as some “faithful's” might be. Sorry. but I’m going to need to see much more of this guy before I start thinking he was the better pick over Winslow. I’ve seen enough of Winslow and Grant to form a good enough opinion of him… but hardly anyone knows Kristaps. Dudes around the league don’t seem that impressed with him either. But hey, let’s hope that motivates him to show us what Phil sees in him. *fingers crossed*

Our decision t sign Mozgov was shrewd. Most of these prospects are hit/miss. 100% of the exerts within bball community(forget the ANALysts) all agree Porz was the pick at 4.

I actually liked the Gov but he did very little for the Knicks.

I guess we’ll see if that supposed 100% was right in their assumption. Maybe I’ll think the same way if I’ve seen the same footage as they did. As of now…from what I’m seeing …I’m not really that impressed, thou I do see potential. But how many times have we heard that with players that clearly needed to develop and adjust to the NBA game. I just see more upside with Winslow for various reasons. Porz is a much bigger question mark considering how he’s built and the way he plays. He's going to hurt himself.

If he can adjust to the NBA I’m happy…but that’s a big “If”. I can imagine Winslow making an immediate impact and helping to get FA’s interested in the Knicks. I just don’t see the same with Kristaps. I see Kristaps getting bullied around and getting frustrated for always being in foul trouble. Players/Free Agents aren’t saying much of anything about him…but you hear them talking about other players drafted…even the ones that were drafted after us.

The thing we all want to know is “who the hell is this kid and can this kid really cut it in the NBA”.

I don’t really have much to say about him (for obvious reasons), so I’ll be revisiting this thread later on in the year to see if I can see what this so called 100% was seeing. Hoping for the best...

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
"All that said…I still hold a little faith in the pick. I just don’t know too much about him, and giving our track record with the Euro league…I’m not as enthused as some “faithful's” might be. Sorry. but I’m going to need to see much more of this guy before I start thinking he was the better pick over Winslow. I’ve seen enough of Winslow and Grant to form a good enough opinion of him… but hardly anyone knows Kristaps. Dudes around the league don’t seem that impressed with him either. But hey, let’s hope that motivates him to show us what Phil sees in him. *fingers crossed*

Our decision t sign Mozgov was shrewd. Most of these prospects are hit/miss. 100% of the exerts within bball community(forget the ANALysts) all agree Porz was the pick at 4.

Well, five other teams passed on Winslow, so that should be some indication. Frank freaking Kaminsky was taken ahead of Winslow.

Porz was one of 3 picks who would've been acceptable at #4 - Hezonja, Mudiay, and himself. Anybody else would've been a bad move. The jury is still out, of course, but let's hope it works out.

tiger0330

Legend
Zingis better play in Summer League. Strains his hip during a workout and has 3 weeks to recover and can't go smacks of Bargnani.

He should dominate coming from a pro league. I want to see what kind of rebounder and 3 pt shooter he is from the NBA 3 pt line and not the shorter Euro 3pt line.

Kiyaman

Legend
Yes, Winslow is NBA-ready. I know that. He's probably a slightly better shooting version of Iman Shumpert. You don't draft a player like that with the #4 pick just because he's NBA-ready. That'd be something you could do if you were a team on the cusp of a championship, but this team lost 65 games last season.

u put all the reason why the Knicks shouldve selected Winslow with the 4th pick ...

1) Winslow two-way performance "SG/SF" compliments Melo scorong performance .. a need!
2) NBA Ready to receive 24 mpg in rookie season .. a need!
3) Replace Shumpert .. a need!
4) Has a higher IQ and shooting percentage than Shump/JR/and THJ .. a need!
5) Coach Fisher would have an easier task developing a young backcourt of "SG Winslow & PG Grant" within the next two seasons .. a need!

The 2015 FA market wouldve looked at the Knicks from a different oposition if we selected Winslow & Grant for ex-guard coach Fisher to tutor

jimkcchief88

All Star
NBA free agents see Zingas exactly for what he is: a skinny white kid who is not NBA ready physically, which makes him a HUGE gamble. Free Agents are looking for a good fit that gives them a chance to win NOW, not a rebuilding project. You might be able to fool fans and GM's looking to hit a "home run" but not your peers...now just as I'm posting this I see the Knicks are signing Robin Lopez. Get it done Phil:)

Kiyaman

Legend
NBA free agents see Zingas exactly for what he is: a skinny white kid who is not NBA ready physically, which makes him a HUGE gamble. Free Agents are looking for a good fit that gives them a chance to win NOW, not a rebuilding project. You might be able to fool fans and GM's looking to hit a "home run" but not your peers...now just as I'm posting this I see the Knicks are signing Robin Lopez. Get it done Phil:)

So True ... plus David West comment did not help any

July 3, 2015 by Noah Klayman

As free agency approached, the New York Knicks appeared to be the most likely landing spot for two-time all star David West. However, the former Indiana Pacer power forward made it quite clear that a move to New York was not his plan when he called the rumors “ridiculous,” stating that he wants to join a contender and that the Knicks do not qualify. He is right. But, at the same time, West’s diss only helped the Knicks avoid overpaying for a 34-year old role player who is on the decline.

Instead, the Knicks have spent a large chunk of their $27 million in cap space on two former Portland Trail Blazers: Arron Afflalo and Robin Lopez. Both players will offer the Knicks much-needed help on the defensive side of the ball, but adding solely second-tier free agents is most definitely not part of some secret plan that Phil Jackson has conjured up. Rather, as David West demonstrated, big-name free agents simply do not want to join the current New York Knicks roster.
So, second-tier free agents will have to do for now.

The famous ZEN cant do anything about the DOLAN's CURSE!!!

SSj4Wingzero

All Star

Winslow would make us the best team in the short-term, but let's be honest...even if we had Winslow or Cauley-Stein...do you REALLY think that a team with Melo, Cauley-Stein/Winslow, and Greg Monroe could possibly get past the Cavs and make it to the NBA Finals? It's not going to happen. It'd make us a better team in the short run, but even if that happened, we're still talking about a 42-44 win team at best, which is not good enough to actually contend for a championship. Porzingis gives us a chance to actually be a contender in 5 years if he pans out

Paul1355

All Star
Will the Knicks 2015 draft selection have any effect on FA decision to sign with Knicks?

free-agent - PF David West are interested in signing with the Knicks .. WHY?
Is it because the Knicks dont have a starter or backup PF on the roster?

Selecting Porzingis and Grant probably steered us towards the SG and C positions wit Afflalo and Lopez. But we still signed Derrick Williams who is more of an athletic 4 to help Porzingis.

We will have a bunch of young guys on our bench that I think should get decent minutes like Early, Galloway, Shved if we bring him back, etc. These guys started for us last season and are more than serviceable as role players.

We should go after a backup SG and a backup Center right now.

Calderon
Afflalo
Melo
Williams
Lopez

Bench:
Grant/Galloway
Shved?/Ledo
Early/Antentakoumpo
Porzingis/Lyberie
Aldrich or Jason Smith?

Kiyaman

Legend
Who performance was Phil Jackson watching to sign as the Knicks starter CENTER?
Brook Lopez has all the NBA qualities to perform at the 5 spot.
Robin Lopez has all the NBA qualities to perform as a backup at the 4 spot.

Porzingis at age 19 need two years of full time weight-training to try out for a NBA team.
Im afraid of skinny Zingis getting injured bad playing with the big-boys in the summer league games.
All the gossip about Zingis played for the Pro League in Euro dont mean a damn thing in NBA ball.

Signing an INCONSISTENT bad decision-maker Affalo who played scared in Portland postseason games, only mean more minutes for Galloway as a combo. If Fisher is wise enough to play Thanis at the 2 spot then more minutes for him.