Mudiay glad not to be a Knick because of Triangle

Kiyaman

Legend
Wow interesting reads and thought the thread bump was because we will see Mudiay tomorrow night fresh from torching the Bullies Friday night in a comeback win for the Nuggets...I am still in the camp "we wouldn't be having this conversation" if we would have just drafted Mudiay in the first place"

Today, Knicks vs Denver game will be a great matchup to watch ...
Mudiay vs Grant
Nelson vs Calderon
Gallinari vs Porzingis
Faried vs Lopez

The only reason why Phil Jackson created the "Triangle-Offense" were to stop a quick first-step Mike Jordan from becoming a selfish isolation super-star. Midway through Jordan rookie season scoring 67 points on the Championship Boston Celtricks "Parish, McHale, Bird, and D.Johnson". After that game rookie Jordan high-flying act sold-out every one of the Bulls games after the all-star break, back then every NBA fan wanted to see the ball in Jordan's hands on offense to witness the big NBA HYPE.

When the Chicago Bulls assistant coach Phil Jackson took over the Bulls head coaching job, the Bulls roster had three dynamic scoring wings with great skills to run the point .. their names were Mike Jordan, Pippin, and Pak-Man (super-stars). Plus the Bulls had a hidden PG on the roster that been leading the league as the number 1 top 3 ball shooter for several seasons in the 1980's named PG Hodges. Four players that are capable of scoring 30 points on any given night.
Not being able to utilyze those 4 players along with a 18 rebounds Charles Oakley to get pass the 2nd round playoff again were the real reason the Bulls head-coach were Fired back then, and some how that same coach got a chance to coach Jordan again on the Washington Bullets/Wizards team.
Phil Jackson had to have a great plan if he wanted to keep the head coaching job for more than one season.
So Phil came up with a great team-SYSTEM that made the Bulls players happy! The Bulls owner n GM happy! Plus made all the season ticket-buyer fans happy! The Triangle-Offense are for a roster full of Elite above-average players .. like GS or Bulls

Last edited:
Today, Knicks vs Denver game will be a great matchup to watch ...
Mudiay vs Grant
Nelson vs Calderon
Gallinari vs Porzingis
Faried vs Lopez

The only reason why Phil Jackson created the "Triangle-Offense" were to stop a quick first-step Mike Jordan from becoming a selfish isolation super-star. Midway through Jordan rookie season scoring 67 points on the Championship Boston Celtricks "Parish, McHale, Bird, and D.Johnson". After that game rookie Jordan high-flying act sold-out every one of the Bulls games after the all-star break, back then every NBA fan wanted to see the ball in Jordan's hands on offense to witness the big NBA HYPE.

When the Chicago Bulls assistant coach Phil Jackson took over the Bulls head coaching job, the Bulls roster had three dynamic scoring wings with great skills to run the point .. their names were Mike Jordan, Pippin, Pak-Man (super-stars). Plus the Bulls had a hidden PG on the roster that been leading the league as the number 1 top 3 ball shooter for several seasons in the 1980's named PG Hodges. Four players that are capable of scoring 30 points on any given night.
Not being able to utilyze those 4 players along with a 18 rebounds Charles Oakley to get pass the 2nd round playoff again were the real reason the Bulls head-coach were Fired back then, and some how that same coach got a chance to coach Jordan again on the Washington Bullets/Wizards team.
Phil Jackson had to have a great plan if he wanted to keep the head coaching job for more than one season.
So Phil came up with a great team-SYSTEM that made the Bulls players happy! The Bulls owner n GM happy! Plus made all the season ticket-buyer fans happy! The Triangle-Offense are for a roster full of Elite above-average players .. like GS or Bulls

This description is, for me, the beginning and the end of the conversation about the triangle offense. It worked with the Bulls roster, it worked with the Lakers roster, but we don't have their rosters in any way, shape, or form. If the triangle doesn't work for us and it's keeping players away from us who could improve our roster, it's time to re-think things. In some ways, I am already looking forward to the end of the PJ/Fisher era in NY just because I'm tired of talking about the offensive system on what is essentially a lottery team two years running.

mafra

Legend
Porzingis had 17 points, 10 rebounds, and 6 blocks against Memphis. If that's leveling off, I'm looking forward to him getting it going again. Mudiay was impressive against the Bulls (except at the free throw line), but if we were playing them after the Utah game, where he played poorly against Utah's PG who I literally can't even name, does this story get written like this?

You also cut out the first paragraph of the story where it basically says no one thinks Phil Jackson made the wrong pick by taking Porzingis over Mudiay.

I wanted Mudiay over Porzingis on draft night, too, but I'm not sorry how things turned out for us so far.

I have no problems with the pick... I have to take the unicorn... 2
Tall and 2 talented... The injury issue bothers me with Mudiay and his shooting is a major problem...

I was just pointing out that we shouldn't bash Mudiay to support Porzingis. Mudiay is special in his own right... I wanted Mudiay on draft night bc we needed a PG and he is a PG, who defends and is athletically special. He will improve his shooting.

I was simply tossing out a nugget to his supporters and telling myself that we should allow for the learning curve with him...

I think the issue now is that Phil messed up the Grant section.

tiger0330

Legend
I have no problems with the pick... I have to take the unicorn... 2
Tall and 2 talented... The injury issue bothers me with Mudiay and his shooting is a major problem...

I was just pointing out that we shouldn't bash Mudiay to support Porzingis. Mudiay is special in his own right... I wanted Mudiay on draft night bc we needed a PG and he is a PG, who defends and is athletically special. He will improve his shooting.

I was simply tossing out a nugget to his supporters and telling myself that we should allow for the learning curve with him...

I think the issue now is that Phil messed up the Grant section.
We'll see about Grant but he's got so many holes in his game I think it'll take more than a summer to fix them. And to add insult to injury, THJ broke into the Hawks rotation with Coach Bud praising his D of all things.

I was watching the Cavs/Hornets game and was thinking JR > AA, though he's still a knucklehead pushing Hawes when Hawes decked Lebron on a offensive foul. He was lucky he didn't get ejected for it. Jeremy Lin also put up 24pts. 8 dimes and 5rbs and got the player of the game. The Hornets also got MKG and Batum back and they looked real good beating the Cavs, their depth really impressed me with Hawes, Kaminsky, Williams and Roberts all contributing. Hansbrough and Hairston didn't even get off the bench and they are solid rotation players also. A good Charlotte team makes our playoff hopes more remote.

So thats 3 players and deals that PJ might have screwed the pooch on, trading THJ for a bust, signing Seraphin instead of Lin and thinking AA is a better player than JR. I'll give him credit for Rolo and Porzingis but we're looking like what I thought we were in the pre-season a 35 win team max.

mafra

Legend
Yeah... Phil isn't really impressing. I understand logic and thinking behind moves... But... Another HOF flop in NY... His claim to fame here will be KP and fact he wasn't nearly as pathetic as his predecessors

Please tell me that I'm not the only one who saw on the internet today that they have already started trying to play up 'Westbrook to the Knicks' for the 2017 offseason. I love the sports media and how they treat Knicks fans. It's just super.

Tkf

Benchwarmer
We'll see about Grant but he's got so many holes in his game I think it'll take more than a summer to fix them. And to add insult to injury, THJ broke into the Hawks rotation with Coach Bud praising his D of all things.

I was watching the Cavs/Hornets game and was thinking JR > AA, though he's still a knucklehead pushing Hawes when Hawes decked Lebron on a offensive foul. He was lucky he didn't get ejected for it. Jeremy Lin also put up 24pts. 8 dimes and 5rbs and got the player of the game. The Hornets also got MKG and Batum back and they looked real good beating the Cavs, their depth really impressed me with Hawes, Kaminsky, Williams and Roberts all contributing. Hansbrough and Hairston didn't even get off the bench and they are solid rotation players also. A good Charlotte team makes our playoff hopes more remote.

So thats 3 players and deals that PJ might have screwed the pooch on, trading THJ for a bust, signing Seraphin instead of Lin and thinking AA is a better player than JR. I'll give him credit for Rolo and Porzingis but we're looking like what I thought we were in the pre-season a 35 win team max.

Grant probably has less holes in his game than porzingis.. the problem is grant was never handed a starting job from Day 1..

it is a shame he was forced to play behind calderon for a team headed to the lottery, makes no sense....

Tkf

Benchwarmer
This description is, for me, the beginning and the end of the conversation about the triangle offense. It worked with the Bulls roster, it worked with the Lakers roster, but we don't have their rosters in any way, shape, or form. If the triangle doesn't work for us and it's keeping players away from us who could improve our roster, it's time to re-think things. In some ways, I am already looking forward to the end of the PJ/Fisher era in NY just because I'm tired of talking about the offensive system on what is essentially a lottery team two years running.
The triangle has only worked with two teams pretty much.. both coached by Phil and both had HOF talent.. kobe, shaq, MJ pippen and crew..

Knicks have nothing close... Knicks need a franchise talent but so do a lot of teams... lets be honest you could have run pretty much any offense with kobe, shaq, MJ and pippen and still won multiple rings...

tiger0330

Legend
Please tell me that I'm not the only one who saw on the internet today that they have already started trying to play up 'Westbrook to the Knicks' for the 2017 offseason. I love the sports media and how they treat Knicks fans. It's just super.
Pretty ridiculous because some bloggers/writers jumped on this one sentence from a Woj piece on the coaching change and started a Westbrook to NY rumor. It did get me excited though because I saw Woj's name and he's money.

"The Knicks have a real chance to sell Oklahoma City's Russell Westbrook in 2017 – New York and Porzingis have his attention, yes – and Jackson ought to start constructing an elite coaching staff to begin that process with Westbrook and with free agents beyond him."

mafra

Legend
Grant probably has less holes in his game than porzingis.. the problem is grant was never handed a starting job from Day 1..

it is a shame he was forced to play behind calderon for a team headed to the lottery, makes no sense....

Yes. I think it's time we start Grant and endure the growing plans. Throw him in the deep in and find out if he can swim.

mafra

Legend
Westbrook will end up with LAKERS. Why come to NY? He went to UCLA, LA is open for biz... And JAX will be there by then.

Tkf

Benchwarmer
Yes. I think it's time we start Grant and endure the growing plans. Throw him in the deep in and find out if he can swim.

yea, just think, he is almost a 23 year old rookie, he should have been starting considering the bad start calderon got off too... but honestly, when you try to fulfill two different agendas as a team, this is what happens...

Time to start grant...

mafra

Legend
yea, just think, he is almost a 23 year old rookie, he should have been starting considering the bad start calderon got off too... but honestly, when you try to fulfill two different agendas as a team, this is what happens...

Time to start grant...

Grant doesn't even play a second... Calderon plays 28 minutes and doesn't score (and his man has 28 and 18)... Affalo doesn't score in second half... PlAys 38 minutes and had 0 assists all game!

54 & 19 for Was starting G duo... They accounted for over 100 points... 11 & 6 for ours... Accounting for about 25. Wow.

Broadway

All Star
Grant doesn't even play a second... Calderon plays 28 minutes and doesn't score (and his man has 28 and 18)... Affalo doesn't score in second half... PlAys 38 minutes and had 0 assists all game!

54 & 19 for Was starting G duo... They accounted for over 100 points... 11 & 6 for ours... Accounting for about 25. Wow.

Someone at NYU might wanna see if Phil would take on a professorship tenure there

Transformational vs Transactional

Tkf

Benchwarmer

That was absolutely ridiculous!!!! not one minute..... I don't get it...