Knicks 2015 Preseason Game 1 - October 7, 2015

First preseason game of this new season. Porzingis looks very nervous and his play reflects it so far. Melo looks healthy and sharp and has already had a couple moments of trying to help guide and support Porzingis on the court. We are playing some team from Brazil, for what it's worth.

Grant and O'Quinn looking like they already know how to play together on the offensive end out there.

O'Quinn has drained a jumper from the elbow and an open 3 so far and is already 4 for 4 from the field. He could end up being a rugged version of Jason Smith for us. This 2nd unit frontline including O'Quinn and Seraphin is just abusing these guys from Brazil.

Well, we didn't manage to start our first preseason game without already off the court drama. Just read that Coach Fisher and Matt Barnes brawled this weekend over Barnes's ex-wife. Stay classy, Matt Barnes.

Cleanthony Early checks in for his first minutes 6 minutes deep into the 2nd quarter. Apparently he rushed back from having his wisdom teeth pulled a little earlier today to get some minutes.

Galloway finds Derrick Williams for an athletic alley-oop. Damn, we should play these guys from Brazil all season long.

Porzingis just stalked down a guard driving into the paint, went up to block him with his right hand, and then blocked him easily with his left hand while still in midair when the guard went for the reverse layup. It was like something you'd see in a one-on-one game between an adult and a child.

Grant finds Porzingis in the perimeter two-man game and Porzingis drains the 3. Knicks bench, including Melo, on their feet cheering for Porzingis.

Early drains a half court shot at the 1st half buzzer to make it a 60 - 44 lead at the half. This scheduling against this Brazil squad was very smart. It's given us a very feel good start to this preseason.

tiger0330

Legend
Early drains a half court shot at the 1st half buzzer to make it a 60 - 44 lead at the half. This scheduling against this Brazil squad was very smart. It's given us a very feel good start to this preseason.
That Brazil squad wasn't a good test. Not very athletic, no shot blocking, not real big, the Sixers would have destroyed them. I'm not making any judgements except why did they get rid of Tina Cervasio for that Rebecca Haarlow.

O'Quinn did look good.

Melo looked in mid-season form, wouldn't know he was out half a season with a knee injury.

When Yao came into the league they said he had 3 pt range, wasn't true, Yao was a terrible 3 shooter, Zinger on the other hand may be the goods as a 3 pt shooter.

I did predict DFish would run a less stringent triangle offense and to his credit seems to be doing that.

Let's see what the boys look like when they play a real NBA team on Friday.

tiger0330

Legend
As far as Calderon nothing has changed from last year, injury or no injury. Can't create, a reluctant shooter and still a defensive sieve. If nothing changes in the remaining pre-season games, DFish coming out of training camp needs to see Calderons best days are behind him and go with Gallo or Grant.

Broadway

All Star
That Brazil squad wasn't a good test. Not very athletic, no shot blocking, not real big, the Sixers would have destroyed them. I'm not making any judgements except why did they get rid of Tina Cervasio for that Rebecca Haarlow.

O'Quinn did look good.

Melo looked in mid-season form, wouldn't know he was out half a season with a knee injury.

When Yao came into the league they said he had 3 pt range, wasn't true, Yao was a terrible 3 shooter, Zinger on the other hand may be the goods as a 3 pt shooter.

I did predict DFish would run a less stringent triangle offense and to his credit seems to be doing that.

Let's see what the boys look like when they play a real NBA team on Friday.

Quinn and Melo looked good. Our defense was awful, that Euro team really wasn't good. Calderon is absolutely worthless. Sasha is way too helter skelter. Porz seems as advertised for what he does well, but comes off passive. I have a sense he may get lost for moments throughout the season. We did look a little sharper running our sets though.

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
I expected coach Derek Fisher to give rookies Zingis & Grant 30 minutes of playing-time to start their pick n role / pick n pop on a D.League Brazil team. I was hoping to see the 2nd wind of our rookies in the 4th qtr. of a game vs Brazil.

We didn't show any thing promising on the defensive-end vs Brazil, and on Friday we face the Wizards that scored 129 points in the preseason on the 76ers.
The hustle we got from O'Quinn & Seraphin looked real good if they could give us the same vs NBA teams.

tiger0330

Legend
I expected coach Derek Fisher to give rookies Zingis & Grant 30 minutes of playing-time to start their pick n role / pick n pop on a D.League Brazil team. I was hoping to see the 2nd wind of our rookies in the 4th qtr. of a game vs Brazil.

We didn't show any thing promising on the defensive-end vs Brazil, and on Friday we face the Wizards that scored 129 points in the preseason on the 76ers.
The hustle we got from O'Quinn & Seraphin looked real good if they could give us the same vs NBA teams.
Zinger was gassed by the 3rd qtr. O'Quinn and Seraphin were better, if the season were to start tomorrow Zinger would be on the bench and our bruisers would be ahead of him in the rotation. I still say Lopez may be the biggest bust relative to what we're paying him. Galloway had a sneaky good game, played the most minutes 32, had 8rbs and the best +/- +23.

The Wiz will be a better test. Brazil was slow and small, of course our bigs were going to have their way, let's see if they can do that against Gortat and Nene.

Kiyaman

Legend
Zinger was gassed by the 3rd qtr. O'Quinn and Seraphin were better, if the season were to start tomorrow Zinger would be on the bench and our bruisers would be ahead of him in the rotation. I still say Lopez may be the biggest bust relative to what we're paying him. Galloway had a sneaky good game, played the most minutes 32, had 8rbs and the best +/- +23.

The Wiz will be a better test. Brazil was slow and small, of course our bigs were going to have their way, let's see if they can do that against Gortat and Nene.

O'Quinn and Seraphin performance were pro athletes vs D.League talent (Brazil team).
If the two big men bring that same performance vs the Wizards Friday, I would expect coach Phil/Fisher to put O'Quinn in the starting lineup (Lopez/O'Quinn/Melo), and put Melo at the 3.
I believe our D.League Thanis would be a great asset at the 2 spot to defend both opposition guards.
Im not crazy about Afflalo or Calderon in the starting guard lineup, i would rather Galoway start at the PG, or become our 6th man. Rookie Grant performance looks like a great 6th man off the bench alongside Vujacic in backcourt.

Derek Williams hustle need to be our strong SF challenging Early and Lou for SF minutes.
The Knicks are not gonna get many wins having a 3 guard lineup receiving the majority of minutes of each game this season, bc the best guards Phil Jackson could sign out of FA were Afflalo n Vujacic (2nd tier guards).
Im afraid of the conclusion of tonight game vs the Washington Wizards guards Wall/Beal/Session/Webster/Tour'e/Ish Smith.

tiger0330

Legend
O'Quinn and Seraphin performance were pro athletes vs D.League talent (Brazil team).
If the two big men bring that same performance vs the Wizards Friday, I would expect coach Phil/Fisher to put O'Quinn in the starting lineup (Lopez/O'Quinn/Melo), and put Melo at the 3.
I believe our D.League Thanis would be a great asset at the 2 spot to defend both opposition guards.
Im not crazy about Afflalo or Calderon in the starting guard lineup, i would rather Galoway start at the PG, or become our 6th man. Rookie Grant performance looks like a great 6th man off the bench alongside Vujacic in backcourt.

Derek Williams hustle need to be our strong SF challenging Early and Lou for SF minutes.
The Knicks are not gonna get many wins having a 3 guard lineup receiving the majority of minutes of each game this season, bc the best guards Phil Jackson could sign out of FA were Afflalo n Vujacic (2nd tier guards).
Im afraid of the conclusion of tonight game vs the Washington Wizards guards Wall/Beal/Session/Webster/Tour'e/Ish Smith.
Interesting Ante did not get a single minute of playing time in the game. If he goes tonight as DNP I think you can count him out of the rotation this year, unquestionably one of the best defenders on the squad but he's still raw in the skills category. I still remember that play in Summer League against the Bucks where he skied about 12 feet in the air to intercept a pass, great athlete that plays above the rim but you need to be able to shoot and dribble to make it in the league.

It's only pre-season but a win tonight would be a major plus for the boys tonight.