Will the Knicks waive Thanasis Antetokounmpo?

tiger0330

Legend
He didn't play well in summer league save one game against the Bucks and he hasn't played much in pre-season. Supposedly his 2 year deal is only guaranteed for 75K the same guarantee that Saunders and Atkins received.

If they do keep him going into the regular season the next pivotal date for him would be Jan 10, the date all contracts become guaranteed for the season where the Knicks would owe him his entire rookie contract of ~550K.

Will the Knicks keep him or one of the other rookies or pick up an available vet min player.

Kiyaman

Legend
None of the Knicks coaches know how to fit Thanis talent in a rotation, Thanis speed n defensive-talent could shut down a lot of opponents scoring guards.

tiger0330

Legend
Knicks waived him today. NY Post says he may wind up in Milwaukee, I doubt it since they cut 3 guys this week to get down to the 15 man roster. I doubt he wants to go to the D-League for any NBA team so Europe is my bet for where he goes.

Broadway

All Star
Knicks waived him today. NY Post says he may wind up in Milwaukee, I doubt it since they cut 3 guys this week to get down to the 15 man roster. I doubt he wants to go to the D-League for any NBA team so Europe is my bet for where he goes.

I could see him landing on maybe one of their D-League affiliates if they say he has a shot to make the team, via possible trade during the season opening up a spot for him. And essentially give him a similar deal he had with us if he got to the guaranteed stage. Looks like he got played and he proved to be a wasted pick by Phil.

nixon7

Benchwarmer
Y'all seem to be missing the point here. Of course I feel bad for him.

However, it is highly significant that the Knicks waived all 5 of them leaving only 14 players on their roster.

This does not make sense unless they already have someone or several options in mind for the 15th spot, most likely someone being waived by another team. Or a trade in the works, where we would be taking back an additional player.

Perhaps because of Afflalo getting hurt again in the last pre-season game, they want to pick up an additional shooting guard who can score.

Jimmer Fredette? Ben Gordon? Someone else out there?

Otherwise, they would likely have kept one for now, if only to include in an upcoming trade.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend

However, it is highly significant that the Knicks waived all 5 of them leaving only 14 players on their roster.

This does not make sense unless they already have someone or several options in mind for the 15th spot, most likely someone being waived by another team. Or a trade in the works, where we would be taking back an additional player.

Perhaps because of Afflalo getting hurt again in the last pre-season game, they want to pick up an additional shooting guard who can score.

Otherwise, they would likely have kept one for now, if only to include in an upcoming trade.
I would be looking for help at SG with Affalo's hammy. No to Fredette, maybe bring in Ben Gordon, he was in a tough spot trying to make that Warriors team. Willie Green who was supposedly on the Knicks radar this off-season can also be had.

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
I could see him landing on maybe one of their D-League affiliates if they say he has a shot to make the team, via possible trade during the season opening up a spot for him. And essentially give him a similar deal he had with us if he got to the guaranteed stage. Looks like he got played and he proved to be a wasted pick by Phil.

I too, believe Thanis is not finish with the NBA.
A week before the 2015 summer league games I thought Fisher would let the 3 players (PG-Galloway, SG-Thanis, SF-Early) that were on the Knicks 2014 SL team lead the 2015 SL team as starters. Fisher giving Thanis the same role he gave Shumpert as a big-guard. It didn't happen.
Fisher never gave any of the Knicks Waive players a chance to show their weakness/strength or raw talent in any of the 6 preseason games.

Will Thanis try his luck in joining one of the West Coast teams or wait for an opening on the Bucks team?
Any team with a scoring PG (Westbrook) and a scoring SF (Durant) could make Thanis speed/quickness as a big-guard a team asset.

tiger0330

Legend
His agent said he may go back to the D-League though he's talking to Euro teams, has to be a great opportunity before he would go to Europe and now that the Knicks don't own his rights, he can be picked up by any NBA team if he goes to the D-League. He's got athletic ability but I thought he didn't make the progress he should have after 2 seasons playing D-League ball.

Kiyaman

Legend

Will Phil use the open slot to trade two players for 3 players in the season?

The only point missing is Phil Jackson did not get the Knicks a Bona-fide starter PG out of the two offseason as Knicks president.
Calderon 2014-15 performance demanded to be traded at the end of the season 100 x more than tier-2 Felton 37 win season.

Phil Jackson two-year plan roster is not better than the Knicks roster he dismantled.
Basketball is a team sport .. what type of "Franchise" are PJ building for the Knicks organization?
A franchise-player organization? or a franchise-team organization?
Is Melo a winning threat in the NBA? NO!
Is Dirk a winning threat in the NBA? NO!
Is Bosh a winning threat in the NBA? Maybe? with a season healthy D.Wade!
Is Duncan a winning threat in the NBA? HELL YEAH! Duncan has PG-Parker, G/F-Ginobli, and C/F-LaMarcus
Is Blake Griffin a winning threat in the NBA? HELL Yeah, Blake has PG-CP3 and Center-DeAndre

It is hard to tell what Phil Jackson was thinking the offseason Phil resigned Melo to a $124 contract?
Does Melo need a star-leader PG plus strong defensive BIGs to have a winning season? HELL to the YEAH!
That's a known fact from Nuggets 2003-4 roster of PG-Andre Miller, PG-Earl Boykins, C-Camby, C/F-Nene, and PF-Birdman .. What was Phil thinking? Calderon n Dalembert! that trade was worst than the Knicks Bargaini trade, or equal to it.

Kiyaman

Legend
His agent said he may go back to the D-League though he's talking to Euro teams, has to be a great opportunity before he would go to Europe and now that the Knicks don't own his rights, he can be picked up by any NBA team if he goes to the D-League. He's got athletic ability but I thought he didn't make the progress he should have after 2 seasons playing D-League ball.

Truth b said .. I want to see what coach Jason Kidd could do with Thanis talent as a G/F