Game Thread: Atlanta Hawks @ NY Knicks Thursday Oct. 29 8PM

Broadway

All Star
Calderon has been absolutely horrendous. He makes Prigioni look like Magic. We can only hope his injury-plagued year has him off to a slow start. He's never confusedly mistaken for even a decent defender, but you could live with that because of the fact he was elite in two key areas (3-point shooting, and assist:TO ratio). But, with him giving you nothing on offense so far, he's playing his way to the bench quickly.

Not much to say here... ATL was 8-13 from downtown in the first half (NYK shot 3-15 from three), and they converted our unforced turnovers (ill-advised passes) into points. That gave ATL a commanding lead, and it pretty much knocked us out. We tried to mount a run or two in the second half, and our perimeter defense helped bring their shooting % from behind the arc down to respectable numbers... But Carmelo couldn't find any rhythm and spark this team, and nobody could stop Teague or Schroeder.

Also, once again, we're reminded that the Knicks plays 82 road games. Geez, not even on opening night does the home team get benefit of calls. Our star player strip the ball away and dives for the loose ball... And he gets called for a foul. Maybe not one call or two specifically, but the aggregate of all the 50/50 calls going the opponent's way is what is annoying.

NYK couldn't hit open shots, shot poorly from 3... While ATL was lights out.

Calderon-Sasha backcourt is arguably the worst starting G combo in the Western Hemisphere. What else is new. Porz was brutal in the first half... Carmelo a complete non-factor.

The good news is that Lopez was a force on offense, and we attacked the offensive glass (unfortunately we couldn't convert those into second chance points). Thomas and Sasha continue to look like quality depth guys.

NYk kept it close for much of the first half.... But they hit a flurry of 3s and we went cold... I knew it was a bad two minutes in the third away from a 15 point lead ballooning into a 20 point deficit (which it quickly dud). We looked tight, tired, and mired in lethargy.

Anyway... I give them credit for not letting this become a laugher. ATL a 60 win team last year... Melo still trying to get his groove back (and if he doesn't, we stand no chance anyway)...

Grant and Porz, naturally, had some jitters... But regardless of results, both rookies continue to pass the eyeball test (yes, even when playing poorly). Porz has a sweet stroke from deep (shots will start falling).

O'Quinn may have a negative vertical leap. Wow.

Without Affalo, and with Porz a rookie, Melo rusty, and Calderon with 1 foot in retirement... This is a work in project, and if our second team cannot dominant the other team's seconds stringers... We are at the other team's mercy... And AtL exposed that.

Again, not much to read into here. The 3-point shooting disparity combined with a pathetic Melo... And we lose.

as rotoworld stated:

"Carmelo Anthony made 10-of-27 from the field for 25 points with seven rebounds, three assists, three steals and one turnover in 32 minutes against the Hawks during a 112-101 loss on Thursday.

After a hot start in the preseason, his jumper is off big time. During his first two games, Anthony has made just 4-of-25 (16 percent) on shots from beyond three feet. He'll heat up soon enough, so his fantasy owners should just be hoping he stays healthy."
Oct 30 - 12:14 AM

I'm already reading the same stuff early from the media and fans. On ultimateknicks forum fans are suggesting Melo isn't 100% healthy. Really how long are we going to ride this? Until he scores 30pts on an efficient game? Until our next winning streak? What?

When Afflalo comes back it just means Porzingis and Lopez and whoever else Fisher juggles the lineup with, become that much more of non factors...as these two will surely be on the Patty Cake train.

Melo shooting 4-16 and 10-27 and probably 7-21 his next game, then 11-18 his next , then 9-25 his next, then 8-18, then 12-30, then 10-20 is the norm for him. It's what he's done his entire NBA career.

"Whenever he gets hot"...llooll, it more than likely means we've deviated from what we're running and no one else is getting involved. There has rarely been a case where his streaks have married with valuable contributions from his teammates since he's been here. Melo and Afflalo are self contained players, who statistically for the most part do okay for themselves but ultimately are Zero-Sum for the teams they're on.

Also talking about rust and whatnot, well every team could say they're rusty but the schedule going forward doesn't say it's rusty. You gotta win games at home, you gotta play defense, you gotta play like you're worth $100+mil, you have to coach like you're worth $25mil, you gotta manage like you're worth $60mil.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
Calderon, through 2 games has a defensive rating of 102.5, which in comparison to Grant (104.4) and Galloway (102.9) is actually better. However, in Calderon’s 18 minutes of play, it’s his lack of contributions on the offensive end in correlation to his defense that are truly hurting the Knicks. The veteran guard is nearly 50 points below Grant and 40 below Galloway. Which means that per 100 possessions, when Calderon is on the court, the Knicks give up 102.5 points and score only 78.8, for a whopping -23.7 net rating.

Not only can the man not get a stop defensively, but he also is doing absolutely nothing to help the team score! Grant has a net rating of +20.8 and Galloway, +14.8.

There isn’t one category where Calderon outshines Grant and Galloway. His true shooting percentage is an abysmal 23%, he’s a poor rebounder, and he’s doing little more than setup the offense for the first unit. Not to mention, he’s typically setting up that offense because his player just scored or assisted on a scoring basket.
I found this stunning about Calderon. The guy needs to go but DFish loves the guy.

mafra

Legend
I'm already reading the same stuff early from the media and fans. On ultimateknicks forum fans are suggesting Melo isn't 100% healthy. Really how long are we going to ride this? Until he scores 30pts on an efficient game? Until our next winning streak? What?

When Afflalo comes back it just means Porzingis and Lopez and whoever else Fisher juggles the lineup with, become that much more of non factors...as these two will surely be on the Patty Cake train.

Melo shooting 4-16 and 10-27 and probably 7-21 his next game, then 11-18 his next , then 9-25 his next, then 8-18, then 12-30, then 10-20 is the norm for him. It's what he's done his entire NBA career.

"Whenever he gets hot"...llooll, it more than likely means we've deviated away from what we're running and no one else is getting involved. There has rarely been a case where his streaks have married with valuable contributions from his teammates since he's been here. Melo and Afflalo are self contained players, who statistically for the most do okay for themselves but ultimately are Zero-Sum for the teams they're on.

Also talking about rust and whatnot, well every team could say they're rusty but the schedule going forward doesn't say it's rusty. You gotta win games at home, you gotta play defense, you gotta play like you're worth $100+mil, you have to coach like you're worth $25mil, you gotta manage like you're worth $60mil.

All true. With Melo's jumpshot looking like Peyton Manning's passes, the one hope (that Melo regained his top-10 player in NBA status) looks remote, and that means this team is one good to halfway decent player surrounded by role guys.... Not an elite all star surrounded by role guys.

Our owner-gm-hc triumvirate doesnt inspire much confidence.

and, in a guard driven league we have a washed up, headed towards social security PG, Marty McFly is back from the past (or europe), a rookie and a D-league guy... Headlined by bigfoot... This supposed number two option to Melo, who will nurse a nagging injury and barely sniff the level of play we imagined when we signed him.

hard to win in nba with a number one option like this version of Melo, and these guards.

mafra

Legend
I found this stunning about Calderon. The guy needs to go but DFish loves the guy.

Fisher needs to either start Gallo and Grant over Cal and Sash, or Wiiliams over PORZ.

Terrible coaching if he keeps this starting 5 moving forward. The opponent is simply given a gift by Fisher, making it easy to take away Melo... which is preventing him from getting into a rhythm. Melo needs scoring help... Gallo-Grant combo or D-Will will provide that relief. Only a moron trying to bed women on the opposite coast is oblivious to this reality.

Broadway

All Star
People are making too much about that one play with Zinger or is it just me.

The...

"You Don't See A Guy At His Size That Can Do That"
is gonna be the overused NBA Zinger going forward. We're gonna hear every sport analyst(live game action or in studio), every media rep(journalist or blogger) say this ad nauseum. #kporzee is the shiny new toy, so anything and everything he does is going to be blown up times infinity good or bad. It was a pretty decent move, but it almost turned blooper as he didn't have complete control. You know with his size much of what he does even when converting looks clumsy as heck but what I like about him is embracing the challenge to play/compete. He's a project though as I said day 1 with pick.

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
Fisher needs to either start Gallo and Grant over Cal and Sash, or Wiiliams over PORZ.

Terrible coaching if he keeps this starting 5 moving forward. The opponent is simply given a gift by Fisher, making it easy to take away Melo... which is preventing him from getting into a rhythm. Melo needs scoring help... Gallo-Grant combo or D-Will will provide that relief. Only a moron trying to bed women on the opposite coast is oblivious to this reality.

Because we have a Motley Crue of Gulash roster Fisher is gonna have a tough time finding the best mixes. It's more than apparent Calderon should not be playing right now. #kporzee didn't truly earn a starting spot but you can't have Melo/Afflalo/Williams on the floor chasing shots at the same time. Grant and #kporzee should play as many minutes together as possible, no explanation necessary. Both guys need to develop without having their growth stunted/buffered/interrupted/roadblocked by has beens and never wases. Once again the schedule this month is nothing to play with

tiger0330

Legend

You know I complimented him the other day for playing 7 guys 20 minutes apiece but last year I criticized him for doing the exact same thing saying his lack of set rotations kept guys from getting into a rhythm and developing chemistry. I just read an article by Keith Schlosser over at Knicksblog that blamed yesterday's loss on the "farfetched" lineups DFish was putting out there. Let's see what he does with the lineups but he seems to be reluctant to heed the calls to dump Calderon despite him being horrible in the frist 2 games. I can see his point because no one is calling for Melo to be benched over 2 games.

I think we're going to have to cut him a little slack and get into the season for a couple of more weeks to see what the record looks like before you see some definitive action.

Steezo

Benchwarmer
Random thought, but watching Kristaps play, I mean this guy's really tall. Usually guys over 7'0 don't end up being too durable, and certainly aren't usually anything other than fringe all-stars at best. My gut feeling tells me, best case scenario, we'll see flashes of greatness from Porzingis mixed in with lots of injury time. Hope I'm wrong here...

mafra

Legend
Because we have a Motley Crue of Gulash roster Fisher is gonna have a tough time finding the best mixes. It's more than apparent Calderon should not be playing right now. #kporzee didn't truly earn a starting spot but you can't have Melo/Afflalo/Williams on the floor chasing shots at the same time. Grant and #kporzee should play as many minutes together as possible, no explanation necessary. Both guys need to develop without having their growth stunted/buffered/interrupted/roadblocked by has beens and never wases. Once again the schedule this month is nothing to play with

I wouldn't start both Affalo and Williams together myself... But, Affalo is out right now with an injury. To make up for the loss of Affalo, that's where I would consider stating Williams (if i preferred the Calderon-Sasha backcourt over Gallo-Grant).

Again, i have been saying this for years... It is impossible to win in today's NBa with the guards the Knicks trot out there. Think of when they have been food the last few years... Notice the common denominator... Billups, Kidd, Felton, Duhon, Lin were playing well. You need a dominant guard... Helps to have both a quality pg and sg... But with Melo, we survived when we had one decent option. Lately, we consistently have mediocre Guard play.

ergo, start Grant with Porz and that might help out a bit.

mafra

Legend
You think Anthony's past his prime?

Knicks were bad two years ago... They were 7-30 with Melo last year and 10-35 without him. OK, he's been hobbled the last two seasons... I get that it will take time for Melo to get his jumper back. But, I think Melo is on the back end of his prime years. He's never been an efficient scorer, and now that he is older he is avoiding contact to prolong his career... So... He is relying more and more on the three and long jumper...

I think Carmelo's days of carrying a team are over. I think he could win an NbA title if he had a legit go-to star playing alongside him, as the number 1 option. Carmelo need a Kyrie or a Westbrook. Unfortunately, he doesnt have a star, or even a borderline all-star, or even a legit rotation player on a contender currently on the floor with him.

Steezo

Benchwarmer
Knicks were bad two years ago... They were 7-30 with Melo last year and 10-35 without him. OK, he's been hobbled the last two seasons... I get that it will take time for Melo to get his jumper back. But, I think Melo is on the back end of his prime years. He's never been an efficient scorer, and now that he is older he is avoiding contact to prolong his career... So... He is relying more and more on the three and long jumper...

I think Carmelo's days of carrying a team are over. I think he could win an NbA title if he had a legit go-to star playing alongside him, as the number 1 option. Carmelo need a Kyrie or a Westbrook. Unfortunately, he doesnt have a star, or even a borderline all-star, or even a legit rotation player on a contender currently on the floor with him.

If 'Melo's shooting more than 2 threes per game, yeah, we're gonna be first-round losers at BEST for quite a while... He had arguably his best years imo when he played with Iverson-- they both could play well off the ball, but 'Melo got AI at the tail end of his prime, plus they lucked out in the competiton they faced when AI was there (Kobe + Duncan).

That was the last time I remember when Anthony wasn't shooting TOO many threes, and he played in the post more. But you're right of course, had Carmelo managed to team up with CP3, or had a 1 like Irving, or hell even had Stoudemire stayed healthy (he could've either been a piece of a trade that could've gotten us someone useful, or been a super 6th man) things would be quite different.

I'm just nervous as to what's ahead for the boys in orange & blue. We're gonna need a superstar here real soon, and I'm not sure how we'll acquire him. Again, we look to be first-round losers at best, and I'm not sure that'll attract marquee free agents. We have no trade assets, and acquiring a superstar through the draft doesn't look promising...

pat

Starter
Sasha is solid. Give him time. You have top play Calderon and hope he will sort things out. They need to trade him. KP needs to get his feet wet. This season is -- no matter what they say -- about winning. This is not about Melo using "his window". He is there to put butts into seats and KP and Grant are there to become something they cannot be as of yet. There will be no success for the Knicks as long as Dolan cannot refrain from being 'hands-on'.

pat

Starter
I'm just nervous as to what's ahead for the boys in orange & blue. We're gonna need a superstar here real soon, and I'm not sure how we'll acquire him.

Draft one and develop him. I think they are trying that at the moment. Let's hope that 7-3 and lanky does not mean injury-prone. If KP turns out to be durable, the Knicks might have found their centre-piece.

Usually guys over 7'0 don't end up being too durable, and certainly aren't usually anything other than fringe all-stars at best.
You mean like Ewing, Olajuwon or Nowitzki?

pat

Starter
I think he could win an NbA title if he had a legit go-to star playing alongside him, as the number 1 option. Carmelo need a Kyrie or a Westbrook.
I doubt they would like to play with him on one team. He's a black hole.

Steezo

Benchwarmer
Draft one and develop him. I think they are trying that at the moment. Let's hope that 7-3 and lanky does not mean injury-prone. If KP turns out to be durable, the Knicks might have found their centre-piece.
Yeah, don't hold your breath on Porzingis being anything other than a part-time superstar at best. And us getting a franchise player through the draft is slim; if that were to happen, I think it'd take YEARS

You mean like Ewing, Olajuwon or Nowitzki?

Akeem and Dirk are both 6'10, and guys like Big Pat, Admiral, Wilt etc are the rare exceptions.