Game Thread: Milwaukee Bucks @ NY Knicks Friday Nov. 6 7:30 PM

tiger0330

Legend
And Rolo and Melo are standing under the basket on the Bucks end waiting to rebound the ball and Monroe comes swooping in to get the offensive rebound. Pure hustle by him and laziness by Rolo and Melo not boxing him out and letting him get that rebound.

mafra

Legend
Melo came in about the 6:30 mark and missed a 15 footer, got blocked on a layup, missed another one and made a terrible pass to Zinger not what you want from your super star for sure. Chris Herring of the WSJ was tweeting this was Melo's best game by far for because he wasn't forcing anything and had 6 assists, wonder if he changes his mind now. Melo was invisible in crunch time.

A shame too, because he played a solid game until the fourth... Melo hasn't been a closer in years now... And, since we get nothing from the back court... NYK cannot win when Melo scores under 25 points.

mafra

Legend
This team has youth (Porzingis, grant, Galloway, Quinn, Williams), and clearly they're better than last year. But, I doubt we get above .500 again this season. I'm thinking 30-35 wins.

mafra

Legend
4-24 from three... Again, if we fall behind late it's impossible to catch up. We can't shoot, get no fast break points, rarely give 110% effort! and Melo is awful in the final minutes.

mafra

Legend
Porzingis had NINE offensive rebounds. MIL, as a team, had 13 off rebounds... Another double double for the Latvian Llama...

their bench outplayed ours... We had almost a 1:1 assist to turnover ratio.

our C doesn't score in the second half...our pg/sg starting duo combine for two whole points. That would be cool if this were futbol or hockey.

in the post game presser... And think about this response....Derek Fisher said if we have to rely on Calderon and Sasha to score than we are doing something wrong anyway. Wow. How many NbA teams employ that game plan: not expecting their starting back court to score points. This is a guard driven league, no?

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
We need the MSG crowd to start the Fire Fisher chants. Maybe it will get Fisher to get off his ass and start coaching.

Broadway

All Star
A shame too, because he played a solid game until the fourth... Melo hasn't been a closer in years now... And, since we get nothing from the back court... NYK cannot win when Melo scores under 25 points.

Yet this $25mil genius drops words of wisdom

Broadway

All Star
Melo has been

20% After School Special

&

80% Struggle Story

This yr. He needs his minutes limited to the extent he falls into a state of misery and then wants out

tiger0330

Legend
Well now you know why Sasha was in the Gulag Archipelago the last few years. Affalo looks like a no go Sunday against the Lakers so he'll get a chance to shine against his former team but if we lose to them on Sunday it'll be embarrassing.

mafra

Legend
Melo has been

20% After School Special

&

80% Struggle Story

This yr. He needs his minutes limited to the extent he falls into a state of misery and then wants out

Our only hope is it gets so bad that Melo begs to be dealt. Otherwise, another 22 win season and TOR gets our lottery pick and we all puke. Anyway, CLE and MIL are bad match ups for us... I'll still wait to see what Melo is like come mid DEC, and how this team looks when Affalo returns. I won't hold my breath tho.

Still, in best case scenarios... I don't see NYK beating out TOR, ATL, CLE, CHI. Then teams like WAS, MIA, IND, MIL are probably better. So, we are in the scrum with everyone else hoping to catch one of the aforementioned teams for the eight seed. And then get eliminated by Lebron. But, plz, I think even DeT and BOS and ORl are better than us.

mafra

Legend
Saw this over at theinicksblog Pergamum notes:

Kristaps Porzingis has had at least eight points and four rebounds in each of his first five career games. That is the longest such streak to begin a NBA career since Anthony Davis had 8+ points and 4+ rebounds in the first 19 games of his career, October 31, 2012-January 2, 2013. The last Knicks’ player to have a longer streak than Porzingis to begin his career was Patrick Ewing, who did it in his first 10 contests, October 26-November 16, 1985.

Welly-well, make that 6 straight games...

mafra

Legend
What's worst? What burns more? The fact we dealt our upcoming first round pick for bargnani or the fact we didn't trade it for Lowry?

tiger0330

Legend
Our only hope is it gets so bad that Melo begs to be dealt. Otherwise, another 22 win season and TOR gets our lottery pick and we all puke. Anyway, CLE and MIL are bad match ups for us... I'll still wait to see what Melo is like come mid DEC, and how this team looks when Affalo returns. I won't hold my breath tho.

Still, in best case scenarios... I don't see NYK beating out TOR, ATL, CLE, CHI. Then teams like WAS, MIA, IND, MIL are probably better. So, we are in the scrum with everyone else hoping to catch one of the aforementioned teams for the eight seed. And then get eliminated by Lebron. But, plz, I think even DeT and BOS and ORl are better than us.
Yeah, still early but those computers and analytics programs that said the Knicks only win 28 games and the off-season acquisitions were no more than role players are looking awfully smart after today.

mafra

Legend
Again, from TNYKB.com

According to Hollinger’s NBA Player Rankings, Calderon ranks 65th out of 66 NBA point guards. Only Detroit’s Steve Blake is behind him.

Galloway ranks 16th and Grant 34th. As for shooting guards, Vujacic ranks 46th out of 66.

so, not only do we have worst starting G tandem... Most teams have better bench guards than our starters.

What's worst? What burns more? The fact we dealt our upcoming first round pick for bargnani or the fact we didn't trade it for Lowry?

The trade of the first round pick for Bargnani is maybe the single hardest thing to swallow at this point in recent Knicks' history. We could be looking at adding another piece like Porzingis or Grant in the next offseason, instead, we get our usual 'sucker' sandwich.

Broadway

All Star
The trade of the first round pick for Bargnani is maybe the single hardest thing to swallow at this point in recent Knicks' history. We could be looking at adding another piece like Porzingis or Grant in the next offseason, instead, we get our usual 'sucker' sandwich.

Really the 2016 swap 1st pick was still an original asset of the Melo trade, which remains the single most devastating acquisition.

Especially when we look at all the money shelled out to him over 4yrs($200mil if you count the trade kicker), coupled with lack of success. Keep in mind we're only 2 yrs removed from the 2014 1st we surrendered to Denver in which they traded Pick 11 for Picks 16 and 19. So while you're thinking of the what if assets to pair with #kporzee and Grant let that sink in too. We probably wouldn't have been in position for a #4 pick but who knows principally speaking. All I was told while getting rebuttals and defiance from fans and kicked off forums by Mods was that YOU CAN'T REBUILD IN NEW YORK....now those same fans are fondling themselves over #kporzee and Grant(rolling eyes GO FIGURE!)

We continued the idiocy....dumb as we were, and there were many Knick fans who endorsed the Bargnani deal and backed Phil's breakdown of Barg's remaining potential describing him as a deadly midrange shooter(llooll)... we decided to relinquish the swap rights which Toronto now owns and looks like they haven't missed a beat. They also have quality youth in their pipeline and lead our Division and will probably run away with it. The season that we and Denver are having thus far, they are sleeping real good at night...they can't lose.

Last edited:

jimkcchief88

All Star
Our lack of guard play is why we should have drafted Mudiay. Kristaps is ahead of schedule hitting the boards already being a solid double double guy, but that ain't what you are looking for in a top five pick. We needed a game changer to help our sorry backcourt. How Sasha/Calderone are staring is beyond me. Why is Kristaps starting but Grant is second unit???? Grant/Galloway should be starting 1/2 with Melo at 3, Kris at 4 and Lopez at five. This team is better than last year(hard to be worse), but will struggle to hit 30 wins. I hate to say it but we will have to trade Melo for picks and talent to be competitive. Addition by subtraction at its best:(

Kiyaman

Legend
Porzingis had NINE offensive rebounds. MIL, as a team, had 13 off rebounds... Another double double for the Latvian Llama...

in the post game presser... And think about this response....Derek Fisher said if we have to rely on Calderon and Sasha to score than we are doing something wrong anyway. Wow. How many NbA teams employ that game plan: not expecting their starting back court to score points. This is a guard driven league, no?

Fisher got a good point .. The Knicks $124M player take 20 or more shots a night, plus the $124M player has a bad habit of consistently asking for the ball to dribble pass the half-court line as if he's the Knicks PG .. what's bad bout this is he been doing this since arriving in NY. Those two consistent habits from the $124M player .. are the reason no FA PG knocked on the Knicks door in the offseason for a contract.
Grant will be the Knicks future starting PG

Third straight loss .. 2-4 record